Stumbling block before the blind?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Leviticus 19:14-16
[14] Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I am the Lord . [15] Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour. [16] Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the Lord .

Yet David asked for a stumblingblock before the blind?

Romans 11:9-11
[9] And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: [10] Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway. [11] I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

1 Corinthians 1:23
[23] But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

1 Corinthians 8:9-12
[9] But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. [10] For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; [11] And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? [12] But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

Romans 14:11-15
[11] For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. [12] So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. [13] Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. [14] I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. [15] But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

Revelation 2:14
[14] But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

Confused: if we preach Christ and Christ crucified is that not setting a stumblingblock before the blind? Which is it? How is love allowing one blind to remain blind? Or is it that charity for them is of more (precious)value to God than our being right...and God handles the opening the eyes of the blind?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Confused: if we preach Christ and Christ crucified is that not setting a stumblingblock before the blind? Which is it? How is love allowing one blind to remain blind? Or is it that charity for them is of more (precious)value to God than our being right...and God handles the opening the eyes of the blind?

It is of interest that the word "Hebrews" (Ivrim) in Hebrew sounds exactly like "the blind" (Ivrim) in Hebrew. The only difference is the silent letter at the beginning of the word. The silent letter at the beginning of the word for Hebrews (Ivrim) is an ayin...which is the symbol of an eye.

So then the play on words signifies having eyes and yet being blind.

This is a big topic then.

Jesus said that He came to give sight to the blind and to render blindness to those who see.

John 9:39 And Jesus said, “For judgment I am come into this world, that they that see not might see, and that they that see might be made blind.”

Jesus also said..."I only do what I see My Father doing.

Likewise we are to be led by the Spirit in whatever we do. Otherwise we risk doing things blindly even while seeming to be presenting the truth.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[14] Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I am the Lord . [15] Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour. [16] Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the Lord .

[9] And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: [10] Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway. [11] I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

[23] But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

[9] But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak. [10] For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols; [11] And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died? [12] But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.

[11] For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. [12] So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. [13] Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. [14] I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. [15] But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

[14] But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.

World Unity
Mysticism
look at emerging church

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
don't be confused, Isaiah 29:18 "And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness".

deaf, not natural, or physical deaftness, but dull of hearing. Acts 28:24 "And some believed the things which were spoken, and some believed not.
Acts 28:25 "And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers,
Acts 28:26 "Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive:
Acts 28:27 "For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.
Acts 28:28 "Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it.

EYES, not natural eyes, Ephesians 1:16 "Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
Ephesians 1:17 "That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
Ephesians 1:18 "The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints".

and it not God, but our unbelif. we hardheaded refuse to accept the truth of God but we believe none God sent men. and for this reason, Isaiah 29:9 "Stay yourselves, and wonder; cry ye out, and cry: they are drunken, but not with wine; they stagger, but not with strong drink.
Isaiah 29:10 "For the LORD hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered.
Isaiah 29:11 "And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book that is sealed, which men deliver to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed:
Isaiah 29:12 "And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned.

the truth was in front of them, and now us. and yet they, and us refused to believe him, JESUS, or what is written now. and they as well as us are blind men stumbling at the TRUTH, who is JESUS the Christ.

it's up to us, stay in darkness, or "REPENT", and come to the light.

PICJAG,

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

you might go OT to get a better idea of the context for David there, who "said." The point being David started as a shepherd and ended multiplying horses, etc, a murderer with blood on his hands, all that, iow just bc David said does not necessarily make it a good thing maybe. Ah, psalm 69,

2 I have sunk in deep mud, and there is no footing; I have come into deep waters, and a flood sweeps over me.

!
so be advised I guess. Also reading all of Rom 11--and even the part of 10 that begins the treatise--kind of makes the point clearer maybe, but a different point I guess

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 I have sunk in deep mud, and there is no footing; I have come into deep waters, and a flood sweeps over me.

Close to what Jonah said when the fish prepared swallowed him up and then spit him out on shore. Pretty close to being swallowed up by hell and then spit out on shore and running.(IMO) It is not a bad thing to be spit out on shore...considering Jonah’s pouting and refusal; desiring and waiting to see how God would condemn a cursed people ...

Reactions: bbyrd009

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America

It shows that the Godward perspective is paramount, right?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Close to what Jonah said when the fish prepared swallowed him up and then spit him out on shore. Pretty close to being swallowed up by hell and then spit out on shore and running.(IMO) It is not a bad thing to be spit out on shore...considering Jonah’s pouting and refusal; desiring and waiting to see how God would condemn a cursed people ...
Ha boy that last phrase sure rings some bells, huh?

So, I've spent no time in the two chapters yet--did notice in passing that at least one of them, the Romans one I guess, begins the chapter with some "continuation" word, "so" or "therefore" or whatever. Meaning that even the end of the previous chapter prolly needs a look too--but anyway you're ahead of me herenow, and there is obv a lot to unpack. The Jonah association I hadn't noticed, I'll check that out, ty.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So, I've spent no time in the two chapters yet--did notice in passing that at least one of them, the Romans one I guess, begins the chapter with some "continuation" word, "so" or "therefore" or whatever. Meaning that even the end of the previous chapter prolly needs a look too--but anyway you're ahead of me herenow, and there is obv a lot to unpack. The Jonah association I hadn't noticed, I'll check that out, ty.

Not sure it applies but was just considering 1 Timothy 6:9 right before reading your post “But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.”

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. [15] But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
Thank you
@Episkopos , @bbyrd009 , @farouk ,@Enoch111 , @101G , @CoreIssue for your responses. I’m sorry it has taken so long to respond but have been still considering the topic. Mainly not why someone is blind(Spiritually) but have been paying close attention to the warning “now walk thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.”

“Walk thou not charitably.” seems major since the word says without charity it is nothing. Could not “meat” also be that Spiritual meat? To be honest, I’m asking because I’m feeling convictions over force-feeding or shoving meat down someone’s throat that grieves them and if that is not walking charitably toward another? Yet at the same time I think we all want to set bread(Christ) before another in hope they will be set at liberty. But then the warnings to not let your liberty in Christ be a stumblingblock thrown before the blind for their destruction?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Not sure it applies but was just considering 1 Timothy 6:9 right before reading your post “But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.”
Imo that prolly ends up applying more to Solomon, but ya

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you
@Episkopos , @bbyrd009 , @farouk ,@Enoch111 , @101G , @CoreIssue for your responses. I’m sorry it has taken so long to respond but have been still considering the topic. Mainly not why someone is blind(Spiritually) but have been paying close attention to the warning “now walk thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.”

“Walk thou not charitably.” seems major since the word says without charity it is nothing. Could not “meat” also be that Spiritual meat? To be honest, I’m asking because I’m feeling convictions over force-feeding or shoving meat down someone’s throat that grieves them and if that is not walking charitably toward another?
this is spiritual conduct. "WALK not charitably" just as Ephesians 5:15 "See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise". our conduct as Christian can affect the weak, the unlearned, and the unsaved. see we must walk in knowledge. but our knowledge can hinder or hurt the weak or unlearned, or hinder a sinner coming to Christ. the key of your question was answerd in the same verse, "Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died".

see, like meat, we know that it is not refused without prayer. scripture, 1 Timothy 4:4 "For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving".

VJ, as christians we must discipline ourselves in this earthly life. listen, 1 Corinthians 6:12 "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any". see, as in meat, some think they cain't eat pork, (which is good), and some keep dietaty laws. or some brothers or sisters is weak on Holidays like Easter, or Christmas. why? because of lack of KNOWLEDGE. understand, the Lord Jesus has already overcome all things, they are under his feet. a few word can squash these superstitions, meaning "too Religious". and here it is, "The supermacy in Christ". but knowing that we have this power in Christ, we use it not if a brother or sister is without this knowledge. listen, the stronge must bear the weak. which is the purpose of his commandment, "Love ye one another". we must as Christian must set the example, hence our "WALK". if a brother or sister lake knowledge educate them with the wisdom of God.

understand, many ... a christian, and none Christian are not reading their bibles, but reading you. so your walk maybe, or might be their firstimpression.

as the apostle Paul said, Colossians 2:14 "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Colossians 2:15 "And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Colossians 2:16 "Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: (You might want to read that again).
Colossians 2:17 "Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Colossians 2:18 "Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind".

so, again, 1 Corinthians 10:23 "All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

see the difference in the two, 1 Corinthians 6:12 and 1 Corinthians 10:23

I celebrate easter, Christmas, thanksgiving, and even the 4th of July, ok, but none of these these I will not be brought under the power of.

as the bible say, if any man lack wisdom, let him ask, but ask in faith. but understand, God has given us ... Ephesians 4:11 "And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
Ephesians 4:12 "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Ephesians 4:13 "Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
Ephesians 4:14 "That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive".

Hope this helped.

PICJAG.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jonah 2:1-6
[1] Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly, [2] And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord , and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. [3] For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. [4] Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. [5] The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. [6] I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
[1] Then Jonah prayed unto the Lord his God out of the fish's belly, [2] And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord , and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. [3] For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. [4] Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. [5] The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. [6] I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God.
Searching verses there.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Ha wow

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
fa45529b470d0f28eb38471a81c9aef9.jpg

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think a couple of things here. First, I think David was prophesying when he said, put a stumbling block before them. I don't think he was praying, asking God to do something.

My second thing is, first reaction is to go for the literal of the words rather than the Spirit of the words. Its the setting we easily default back to, although I've read enough of your posts to know that He often shows you the Spirit of a matter. (Unless I'm confusing you with someone else but I don't think I am.)

So when we read not to set a stumbling block before the blind or taunt the deaf, a majority of people already know that would be cruel. The majority wouldn't try to trip blind people or make fun of the deaf, just as the majority will go through life having never physically murdered anyone.

This is a case like when the apostle said (regarding not muzzling an ox treading grain to prevent him from eating while he did his work), well you don't suppose God was really talking about oxen there, do you?

So the apostle was bringing out the Spirit of the words, rather than the literal.

So, the deaf and blind are who you once were before He healed your deafness and blindness. So we aren't to taunt an unbeliever (a deaf man), which we've all heard happen with phrases like, you're going to hell because you are being willfully blind. And when we hear that, we're hearing a foolish man who is taunting the deaf for being born deaf instead of fearing God.

I don't know how clear that's coming out...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I posted before reading past the op, so I see epi, and others, already said what I just did. :)

In the last paragraph of your op, I see your carefulness and concern, but don't be worried or anxious, but pray and walk calmly in trust. your carefulness with the blind and deaf and your fear of God are plain to see.