Sunday Is The Day of Worship

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
BIBLE EVIDENCE

Firstly, there is not a single place in the New Testament, where, after the Death of the Lord Jesus Christ, is anyone told, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy" (Exodus 20:8).

Secondly, in Exodus 31:12, 16, it is clear that the Sabbath Day is a "Covenant" between God and Israel, "“You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the LORD, sanctify you...Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a Covenant forever".

Thirdly, Paul says that the Sabbath was a "shadow" of things to come, and that no person should be judged on this issue. "Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath. These are a shadow of the things to come, but the reality belongs to Christ." (Colossians 2:16-17). Paul would not have said this, if the Sabbath Day was still applicable to Christians.

Fourthly, In Romans 14 Paul is very clear that the Seventh Day is NOT the day for worship of the Lord God. "One person esteems one day as better than another, while another esteems all days alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. The one who observes the day, observes it in honor of the Lord.". Here Paul says that there are some who "observe" one day, while there are others, who "observe" all days to the Glory of the Lord. Surely he would have reminded those who were disputing about which day, by quoting ""Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy"? This, as part of the Great Ten Commandments, should have settled the issue. But he does not.

"You shall kindle no fire in all your dwelling places on the Sabbath day.” (Exodus 35:3)

This means that you cannot cook, have hot water and heating in the winter. Do you obey this?

Exodus 34:21 says, "“Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest". Complete REST. which means that you cannot drive or take the bus to go to Church. You can do NO activities on the Sabbath. Do you?

Numbers 15:32-35 says, "While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation. They put him in custody, because it had not been made clear what should be done to him. And the LORD said to Moses, “The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” And all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, as the LORD commanded Moses.". Would you fully obey this, even when a member of your own family were the guilty one?

Nehemiah 13:15-18 says, "In those days I saw in Judah people treading winepresses on the Sabbath, and bringing in heaps of grain and loading them on donkeys, and also wine, grapes, figs, and all kinds of loads, which they brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. And I warned them on the day when they sold food. Tyrians also, who lived in the city, brought in fish and all kinds of goods and sold them on the Sabbath to the people of Judah, in Jerusalem itself! Then I confronted the nobles of Judah and said to them, “What is this evil thing that you are doing, profaning the Sabbath day? Did not your fathers act in this way, and did not our God bring all this disaster on us and on this city? Now you are bringing more wrath on Israel by profaning the Sabbath.”

Do you EVER do shopping on the Sabbath Day? This is FORBIDDEN!

Exodus 16:28-30 says, "And the LORD said to Moses, “How long will you refuse to keep my commandments and my laws? See! The LORD has given you the Sabbath; therefore on the sixth day he gives you bread for two days. Remain each of you in his place; let no one go out of his place on the seventh day.” So the people rested on the seventh day.". Do you EVER leave your home of the Sabbath Day, for anything?

Look at John 20:19, (and the other Gospels), "then the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and said unto them, Peace be unto you"; and then, verse 26, "And after eight days again his disciples were inside, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.", where, After eight days (meth' hêmeras oktô). That is the next Sunday evening, on the eighth day in reality just like "after three days" and "on the third day.Then look at Acts 20:7, ""And on the first day of the week, when we were gathered together to break bread, Paul began talking to them, intending to depart the next day, and he prolonged his message until midnight,". 1 Corinthians 16:1-2, "Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also. On the first day of every week let each one of you put aside and save, as he may prosper, that no collections be made when I come,". Rev. 1:10-11, "I was in the Spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like the sound of a trumpet, saying, "Write in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamum and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea,"

First Day=Sunday, because the Lord Jesus Christ was Raised from the dead, the devil defeated, death was forever conquered, and there was real hope for the whole human race. And all because of the RESURRECTION of the Great Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ!!!

Pentecost

"And you shall count for yourselves from the day after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering: seven Sabbaths shall be completed ‘Count fifty days to the day after the seventh Sabbath; then you shall offer a new grain offering to the LORD." (Leviticus 23:15-16)

Then, in Acts 2:1, we have the Birth of the Church and giving of the Holy Spirit, which is known as "Pentecost", which is from the Greek, "pentēkostē", which means "fiftieth day".

Thursday, 14th day of the month Nisan, Christ institutes the Lord’s Supper.
Friday, 15th day of Nisan, He is crucified.
Saturday, 16th day of Nisan, He rests in the grave.
Sunday, 17th day of Nisan, He rises from the dead.
From the end of Saturday the 16th day of Nisan forty-nine days are counted, and fiftieth, or feast of Pentecost, falls on a Sunday.

God chose SUNDAY, not any other, for the giving of the Holy Spirit, and the Birth of the Church. This, together with the RESURRECTION of Jesus Christ, is CELEBRATION time!

Σάββατον, used for “a week”

Matthew 28:1, “At the end of the Sabbath (Σάββατον), day, as it began to dawn toward the first [day] of the week (Σάββατον), came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulcher

“ὀψέ σαββάτων, the sabbath having just passed, after the sabbath, i. e.: at the early dawn of the first day of the week” (J H Thayer, Greek lexicon)

“after the Sabbath” (W F Arndt & F W Gingrich, Greek lexicon)

“at the end of the sabbath, i.e. after the Sabbath, the Sabbath being now ended, toward the dawn” (E Robinson, Greek lexicon)

“ὀψέ σαββάτων, after the Sabbath day” (H Liddell & R Scott Greek lexicon)
Mark 16:1, 2, 9, “And when the Sabbath (Σάββατον), was past (διαγίνομαι, elapsed) Mary Magdalene, and Mary the [mother] of James, and Salome, bought spices, that they might come and anoint him. And at dawn on the first day of the week (Σάββατον), they come to the tomb when the sun was risen… Now when He was risen early on the first (πρώτως, first) day of the week (Σάββατον),, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, from whom he had cast out seven demons.”

Luke 24:1, “But on the first day of the week (Σάββατον), at early dawn (ὄρθρου βαθέως, Lit., at deep dawn, or the dawn being deep) they came unto the tomb, bringing the spices which they had prepared”

John 20:1, “Now on the first day of the week (τῇ μιᾷ τῶν σαββάατον, The Hebrew idiom, day one of the week) cometh Mary Magdalene early, while it was yet dark, unto the tomb, and seeth the stone taken away from the tomb.”

It is very clear from these passages, and others, that the word “Σάββατον”, is also used to denote the English word “week”, and not just The Sabbath Day. Mark, for example, clearly shows this, when he says, “the Sabbath (7th day, Saturday) had elapsed…at dawn on the first day of the week…He was risen early on the first day of the week”. This can only mean the day after the Sabbath, our Saturday, the 7th day of the week. Since The Sabbath Day is the 7th day of the week, the next day has to be Sunday, which is the first day of the week.

ByGraceThroughFaith

Mar 14, 2021
Dudley
trinitystudies.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cont...

EARLY CHURCH HISTORY

Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch (A.D.35-108)

" If, therefore, they who were under the older dispensation came into a new hope, no longer keeping the Sabbath, but living in observance of the Lord's Day, on which day also our life rose through him and through his death, which certain deny, through which mystery we have received faith (and through this abide, that we may be found disciples of Jesus Christ, our only teacher)" (To the Magnesians, Chapter 9.1)

The Didache - The Teachings of the 12 Apostles to the World. (A.D. 85-125)

"But every Lord's Day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure" (Chapter 14)

Justin Martyr (A.D.100-165)

" And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." (First Apology, Chapter 67)

The Epistle of Barnabas (about A.D.130)

"Finally He saith to them; Your new moons and your Sabbaths I cannot away with. Ye see what is His meaning ; it is not your present Sabbaths that are acceptable [unto Me], but the Sabbath which I have made, in the which, when I have set all things at rest, I will make the beginning of the eighth day [Sunday] which is the beginning of another world. Wherefore also we keep the eighth day [Sunday] for rejoicing, in the which also Jesus rose from the dead, and having been manifested ascended into the heavens." (15:8-9)

Eusebius, Church Historian (A.D.263-339)

"The Sabbath and the rest of the discipline of the Jews they observed just like them, but at the same time, like us, they celebrated the Lord's Days as a memorial of the resurrection of the Saviour" (Church History, Book III, Chapter 27)

"A question of no small importance arose at that time. For the parishes of all Asia, as from an older tradition, held that the fourteenth day of the moon, on which day the Jews were commanded to sacrifice the lamb, should be observed as the feast of the Saviour's passover. It was therefore necessary to end their fast on that day, whatever day of the week it should happen to be. But it was not the custom of the churches in the rest of the world to end it at this time, as they observed the practice which, from apostolic tradition, has prevailed to the present time, of terminating the fast on no other day than on that of the Resurrection of our Saviour. Synods and assemblies of bishops were held on this account, and all, with one consent, through mutual correspondence drew up an ecclesiastical decree, that the mystery of the Resurrection of the Lord should be celebrated on no other but the Lord's Day, and that we should observe the close of the paschal fast on this day only" (Book V, Chapter 23)

The Apostolic Constitutions (about A.D.385)

" And on the Day of our Lord's Resurrection, which is the Lord's Day, meet more diligently, sending praise to God that made the universe by Jesus, and sent Him to us, and condescended to let Him suffer, and raised Him from the dead. Otherwise what apology will he make to God who does not assemble on that Day to hear the saving word concerning the resurrection, on which we pray thrice standing in memory of Him who arose in three days, in which is performed the reading of the prophets, the preaching of the Gospel, the oblation of the sacrifice, the gift of the holy food?" (7:59)

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 14:6-7 . . And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having
the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to
every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people; saying with a loud voice:
Fear God, and give glory to Him; for the hour of His judgment is come: and
worship Him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of
waters.

The Greek word translated "worship" in that passage is proskuneo (pros
koo-neh'-o) which roughly pertains to kissing someone's hand-- fawning
and/or crouching, and/or prostrating oneself in homage; i.e. reverence.

That all strongly suggests groveling; defined by Webster's as creeping with
the face to the ground, i.e. crawling with the body prostrate in token of
subservience or abasement; for example:

Ps 2:11-12 . . Serve The Lord with fear and rejoice with trembling-- kiss
the Son, lest he be angry and you be destroyed in your way, for his wrath
can flare up in a moment.
_

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ByGraceThroughFaith I clearly agree with half of what you say that under the OT, the Law, the Sabbath was to be remembered as a holy Day...etc, and not under the age of grace. I do not agree that the Day of worship is one Day and is a Sunday either. Christ is my Sabbath and my holy rest, and I'm always in worship with the Father every day of the week with and through Christ. He is my Church, his Body.

"For the Son of Man is the Lord of the Sabbath" - Matthew 12:8
"The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath" - Mark 2:27
"..there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God...Hebrews 4:9

Christ frees humans from the works of the Law and allows a person to rest in the work of Christ to forgive sin.
As they say all believers now spend and will spend eternity in a Sabbath rest with Christ.

He is my true Church, Sabbath and rest with others in his Body.

Reactions: BloodBought 1953

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The offering of the sacrifice of Christ?

That one time was sufficient

Heb 10:1-2 . . For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and
not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they
offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. For
then would they not have ceased to be offered?

Heb 10:12-14 . . But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins
forever, sat down on the right hand of God; from henceforth expecting till
his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for
ever them that are sanctified.
_

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, Cantate Domino, 1441: “The Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and teaches that the matter pertaining to the law of the Old Testament, of the Mosaic Law, which are divided into ceremonies, sacred rites, sacrifices, and sacraments, because they were established to signify something in the future, although they were suited to divine worship at that time, after our Lord’s coming had been signified by them, ceased, and the sacraments of the New Testament began; and that whoever, even after the passion, placed hope in these matters of the law and submitted himself to them as necessary for salvation, as if faith in Christ could not save without them, sinned mortally. Yet it does not deny that after the passion of Christ up to the promulgation of the Gospel they could have been observed until they were believed to be in no way necessary for salvation; but after the promulgation of the Gospel it asserts that they cannot be observed without the loss of eternal salvation. All, therefore, who after that time (the promulgation of the Gospel) observe circumcision and the Sabbath and the other requirements of the law, it declares alien to the Christian faith and not in the least fit to participate in eternal salvation, unless someday they recover from these errors.”

Pope Benedict XIV in Ex Quo:

"The first consideration is that the ceremonies of the Mosaic Law *were abrogated* by the coming of Christ and that they can no longer be observed without sin after the promulgation of the Gospel. "

Pope Pius XII in Mystici Corporis:

"29. And first of all, by the death of our Redeemer, the New Testament took the place of the Old Law which had been abolished; then the Law of Christ together with its mysteries, enactments, institutions, and sacred rites was ratified for the whole world in the blood of Jesus Christ. For, while our Divine Savior was preaching in a restricted area - He was not sent but to the sheep that were lost of the House of Israel [30] - the Law and the Gospel were together in force; [31] but on the gibbet of His death Jesus made void the Law with its decrees [32] fastened the handwriting of the Old Testament to the Cross, [33] establishing the New Testament in His blood shed for the whole human race.[34] "To such an extent, then," says St. Leo the Great, speaking of the Cross of our Lord, "*was there effected a transfer from the Law to the Gospel, from the Synagogue to the Church, from the many sacrifices to one Victim, that, as Our Lord expired, that mystical veil which shut off the innermost part of the temple and its sacred secret was rent violently from top to bottom.*" [35]

30. *On the Cross then the Old Law died, soon to be buried and to be a bearer of death*, [36] in order to give way to the New Testament of which Christ had chosen the Apostles as qualified ministers; [37] and although He had been constituted the Head of the whole human family in the womb of the Blessed Virgin, it is by the power of the Cross that our Savior exercises fully the office itself of Head of His Church. "

That one time was sufficient

Heb 10:1-2 . . For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and
not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they
offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. For
then would they not have ceased to be offered?

Heb 10:12-14 . . But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins
forever, sat down on the right hand of God; from henceforth expecting till
his enemies be made his footstool. For by one offering he hath perfected for
ever them that are sanctified.
_

once bloody on the cross but for all time a pure offering!
An unbloody sacrifice
A pure oblation!

Mal 1:11 For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the Lord of hosts.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is high priest so there must be low priests of the same order

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Cont...

EARLY CHURCH HISTORY

Ignatius, Bishop of Antioch (A.D.35-108)

" If, therefore, they who were under the older dispensation came into a new hope, no longer keeping the Sabbath, but living in observance of the Lord's Day, on which day also our life rose through him and through his death, which certain deny, through which mystery we have received faith (and through this abide, that we may be found disciples of Jesus Christ, our only teacher)" (To the Magnesians, Chapter 9.1)

The Didache - The Teachings of the 12 Apostles to the World. (A.D. 85-125)

"But every Lord's Day gather yourselves together, and break bread, and give thanksgiving after having confessed your transgressions, that your sacrifice may be pure" (Chapter 14)

Justin Martyr (A.D.100-165)

" And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration." (First Apology, Chapter 67)

The Epistle of Barnabas (about A.D.130)

"Finally He saith to them; Your new moons and your Sabbaths I cannot away with. Ye see what is His meaning ; it is not your present Sabbaths that are acceptable [unto Me], but the Sabbath which I have made, in the which, when I have set all things at rest, I will make the beginning of the eighth day [Sunday] which is the beginning of another world. Wherefore also we keep the eighth day [Sunday] for rejoicing, in the which also Jesus rose from the dead, and having been manifested ascended into the heavens." (15:8-9)

Eusebius, Church Historian (A.D.263-339)

"The Sabbath and the rest of the discipline of the Jews they observed just like them, but at the same time, like us, they celebrated the Lord's Days as a memorial of the resurrection of the Saviour" (Church History, Book III, Chapter 27)

"A question of no small importance arose at that time. For the parishes of all Asia, as from an older tradition, held that the fourteenth day of the moon, on which day the Jews were commanded to sacrifice the lamb, should be observed as the feast of the Saviour's passover. It was therefore necessary to end their fast on that day, whatever day of the week it should happen to be. But it was not the custom of the churches in the rest of the world to end it at this time, as they observed the practice which, from apostolic tradition, has prevailed to the present time, of terminating the fast on no other day than on that of the Resurrection of our Saviour. Synods and assemblies of bishops were held on this account, and all, with one consent, through mutual correspondence drew up an ecclesiastical decree, that the mystery of the Resurrection of the Lord should be celebrated on no other but the Lord's Day, and that we should observe the close of the paschal fast on this day only" (Book V, Chapter 23)

The Apostolic Constitutions (about A.D.385)

" And on the Day of our Lord's Resurrection, which is the Lord's Day, meet more diligently, sending praise to God that made the universe by Jesus, and sent Him to us, and condescended to let Him suffer, and raised Him from the dead. Otherwise what apology will he make to God who does not assemble on that Day to hear the saving word concerning the resurrection, on which we pray thrice standing in memory of Him who arose in three days, in which is performed the reading of the prophets, the preaching of the Gospel, the oblation of the sacrifice, the gift of the holy food?" (7:59)
If you had any idea what you are doing you might shrivel in shame!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 10:27
And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with ALL thy heart,and with ALL thy soul,and with ALL thy strength,and with ALL thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself. Mt.22:37,No. 12:30

Romans14:5
One man esteemeth ONE DAY ABOVE ANOTHER: another esteemeth EVER DAY alike. Let every man be FULLY PERSUADED IN HIS OWN MIND.

Colossians 3: 13
Forebearing one another,and forgiving one another,if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you,so also do ye.

BloodBought 1953

Jun 3, 2020
Portsmouth Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Firstly, there is not a single place in the New Testament, where, after the Death of the Lord Jesus Christ, is anyone told, "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy" (Exodus 20:8).

Since I started practicing Faith and got God’s Spirit in me, it may sound terrible, but Sunday’s, Easter, Christmas Day, etc. ? They mean nothing to me ....I simply worship EVERY day....I Sabbath every single day ....I understand the true meaning of “Sabbathing —— I REST in the Finished Work Of The Cross.....If you ain’t Resting, you are Working .....and God doesn't like it.....he actually considers it “ UNBELIEF”..... All you “ religionists” out there had better figure this out....it’s a big deal....

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
facts are facts. Ellen G White, as clearly said, that those who worship God on Sunday, will have the mark of the beast in Revelation. This means that Sunday worshippers will be in hell! HOW can you quote this demonic person???
I see you know that .......but that is not what this ramble is about. It's about her quote in my signature...
'What men want is a method of forgetting God that shall pass as a method of remembering him' EGW

and like I said from the outset regarding your first posts 'If you had any idea what you are doing/saying you might shrivel in shame!' ....still applies

Last edited: