Systematic Theology

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
It was suggested in another forum that studying basic Systematic Theology would be an interesting topic, and I agree. I would like to begin by just suggesting a definition of Systematic Theology.

What is systematic theology?

“Systematic” refers to something being put into a system. Systematic theology is, therefore, the division of theology into systems that explain its various areas. For example, many books of the Bible give information about the angels. No one book gives all the information about the angels. Systematic theology takes all the information about angels from all the books of the Bible and organizes it into a system called angelology. That is what systematic theology is all about—organizing the teachings of the Bible into categorical systems.

Theology Proper or Paterology is the study of God the Father. Christology is the study of God the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Pneumatology is the study of God the Holy Spirit. Bibliology is the study of the Bible. Soteriology is the study of salvation. Ecclesiology is the study of the church. Eschatology is the study of the end times. Angelology is the study of angels. Christian Demonology is the study of demons from a Christian perspective. Christian Anthropology is the study of humanity. Hamartiology is the study of sin. Systematic theology is an important tool in helping us to understand and teach the Bible in an organized manner.

In addition to systematic theology, there are other ways that theology can be divided. Biblical theology is the study of a certain book (or books) of the Bible and emphasizing the different aspects of theology it focuses on. For example, the Gospel of John is very Christological since it focuses so much on the deity of Christ (John 1:1, 14; 8:58; 10:30; 20:28). Historical theology is the study of doctrines and how they have developed over the centuries of the Christian church. Dogmatic theology is the study of the doctrines of certain Christian groups that have systematized doctrine—for example, Calvinistic theology and dispensational theology. Contemporary theology is the study of doctrines that have developed or come into focus in recent times. No matter what method of theology is studied, what is important is that theology is studied.

No one on this board has to agree with this definition, I am just adding it as a starting place. Filling in the details for each section is where the arguments usually come in because each person, each denomination, etc. will have their own view of God, Christ, etc.

When I visit a Christian web site I try to find and read the web sites, Statement of Faith. A Statement of Faith will give the group or individuals beliefs concerning the different areas of systematic Theology. I might agree with the sites Theology of God but disagree with their Theology of End Times.

My personal Statement of Faith is on my blog on this board.

Reactions: jerryjohnson

Streetsweeper

Dec 28, 2008
Sydney
This is a great topic for learning about the underpinnings of different scriptural interpretations. There is usually a lot of overlap between the various areas of study you mentioned. Never the less it can be difficult to establish from statements by somebody about, say salvation, to what that person is likley to recognise as valid scriptural eschatology.

It can also be difficult to closely define what qualifies as systematic theology. I would accept Calvin's presentation in the Institutes of Christian Religion' as systematic Theology because it presents an ordered analysis of the bible across multiple themes to produce a coherent, integrated doctrine. However Calvin spends little time (as far as I can tell) in analysing the covenants which appear to provide a foundation to his doctrine.

I think the two most commonly recognised bases of systematic theology are dispensational theology, and covenant theology. Unfortunately we can't say these two classes peel back the final layers of the onion. Even these classes of theology rely on coventions as to how scripture is to be handled and interpreted.

Covenant theology is usually considered to approach the Bible as a process of revelation which gives more information about both God and our relationship to Him, and improved insight into what has been revealed before. Most covenant theologians will then give most weight to the statements of Christ and the apostles when interpreting the Old Testament.

Dispensational theolgians on the other hand choose to take scripture as a progressive revelation which should also be interpreted progressively. The dispensational theologian presented with the New Testament will usually try to interpret it based on the interpretations previously given to the Old Testament.