Taking communion: non member vs member.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all. If a person is genuinely saved, should church membership be required to take communion at a particular church?

Abaxvahl

Sep 13, 2021
Earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello all. If a person is genuinely saved, should church membership be required to take communion at a particular church?

Yes. For Communion is in part a sign of communion between those who partake of it, if we do not have the same faith then we can not commune, the status of grace in their soul being irrelevant to this. I could never commune at a Unitarian place for we do not have the same faith, likewise I could never commune with the Lutherans as we do not either. You can only commune with those you share faith with.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Communion”, and “member” and “saved” mean very different things to different people across Christendom.

My take: sharing the Lord’s Supper with everyone is a good thing. No matter where they are on the path.

Reactions: amadeus

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person is genuinely saved, they will observe the NT Passover at the time the Bible commands it to be done. That being said, it should be a requirement because Christ said it is a requirement:

"Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you."
- Jhn 6:53

Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." - Jhn 6:54

“He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." - Jhn 6:56

Note the 3 extremely important things Christ says in those passages:

1) A person who does not observe the NT Passover as commanded does not have eternal life in them and will not be one of the people who are resurrected at Christ's return.

2) Whoever observes the NT Passover as commanded has eternal life, and they will be part of that resurrection.

3)Whoever observes the NT Passover as commanded abides in Christ and vice versa.

A person cannot truly value or understand Christ's sacrifice if they don't observe the NT Passover as commanded. A lot of "Christians" use His sacrifice as justification for living in opposition to God's commandments and laws because they lack the understanding and appreciation that comes with observing the NT Passover. It may seem like a small issue to a lot of people, but it is one of the things that separates the people who will be at Christ's side when He returns from the people who won't.

Reactions: Abaxvahl

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Communion”, and “member” and “saved” mean very different things to different people across Christendom.
Oh yes!
My take: sharing the Lord’s Supper with everyone is a good thing. No matter where they are on the path.
Does anyone here consider that real, honest discussion about what is written in Scripture on forums such as this one might be partaking of the Lord's Supper?

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a person is genuinely saved, they will observe the NT Passover at the time the Bible commands it to be done. That being said, it should be a requirement because Christ said it is a requirement:

"Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you."
- Jhn 6:53

Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." - Jhn 6:54

“He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him." - Jhn 6:56

Note the 3 extremely important things Christ says in those passages:

1) A person who does not observe the NT Passover as commanded does not have eternal life in them and will not be one of the people who are resurrected at Christ's return.

2) Whoever observes the NT Passover as commanded has eternal life, and they will be part of that resurrection.

3)Whoever observes the NT Passover as commanded abides in Christ and vice versa.

A person cannot truly value or understand Christ's sacrifice if they don't observe the NT Passover as commanded. A lot of "Christians" use His sacrifice as justification for living in opposition to God's commandments and laws because they lack the understanding and appreciation that comes with observing the NT Passover. It may seem like a small issue to a lot of people, but it is one of the things that separates the people who will be at Christ's side when He returns from the people who won't.

you sound like a Lutheran. Taking communion doesnt mean you are saved.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It’s good to remember the life, and death of the Lord Jesus Christ everyday; however to remember that God did not leave Jesus in the grave He rose him up again and we are raised in the same way in walking in the newness of Christ - in being alive spiritually.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh yes!

Does anyone here consider that real, honest discussion about what is written in Scripture on forums such as this one might be partaking of the Lord's Supper?

Well there is at least one, so the answer should be, yes. I am that one. Most people go with what I consider a type or shadow and partake of bread from grain as well as juice or wine from grape. I go with what to me appears to the Reality. Jesus also speaks of the Reality in John 6.