The 7 Seals

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just asked about the 7 Seals, and I'd like to expand on my thoughts. I don't really know what these represent, but I do have some ideas about them.

We know the scroll represents the history of earth, with the Kingdom of God coming to complete the story. So the unveiling, or the unsealing, of the 7 seals is a progressive revelation of what must take place to bring in the Kingdom of God.

It is a progressive narrative, but not necessarily a chronological timeline of events to take place in a particular order. Rather, they are momentary snippets of various events, advancing the narrative towards the culmination of Christ's Kingdom. There are flashbacks and prolepses (visions of the future as if they are already happening right now), so that trying to establish a set chronology or sequence of events is impossible, and not the purpose in the Revelation.

Since the 7 Seals follow the account of the 7 churches in Asia Minor, my guess is that the 7 Seals begin after the Early Church history, and depict the situation on earth prior to the coming of Christ's Kingdom. If we look at the history of Israel, as it led up to the beginning of the Church, we may get an idea of what these 7 Seals represent. We might look at it as though Israel under the Law was preparing for the 1st Coming of Christ, and 7 Seals represent various elements that must transpire to get to this event.

Israel's religion was based on the true God, but it was inevitable that false religion existed alongside true religion, and that false religion would spread like a plague in Israel. Ultimately, judgment from God had to expose the corrupted religion, to prepare for the coming of Christianity, bringing true religion back. Judaism had to be judged and conquered before Christ could establish his own religion on earth.

If we are to apply the 7 Seals to Israel, we can see that Israel was conquered (1st Seal), lost their peace with God (2nd Seal), suffered the curse of poverty and drought (3rd Seal), and suffered catastrophic defeat (4th Seal).

The true prophets were persecuted (5th Seal), and the true Kingdom began to reveal itself in contrast to the false religion in Israel (6th Seal). Finally, Christianity, the true religion, was unveiled (7th Seal).

So let's apply this to the NT age. Christianity is now the new "Israel" (not literally, of course). As Christian society is corrupted, the various Christian states are conquered, lose their peace, suffer deprivation and judgment, Christians are persecuted and the Kingdom is soon to arrive.

We can add more detail to this in modern history by viewing the corruptions of the Church as liberal religion presents corrupt states, soon to be judged by the coming of Christ. Eastern Christianity has been completely subverted by the rise of Communism. And Western Christianity has seen the corruption of Catholicism and the liberalization of Protestantism.

Secular states today are ready to be conquered, lose their prosperity and peace, suffer deprivation, and face destruction. This is where we are at in the present time, just prior to the coming of Christ's Kingdom. What do you think?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is a progressive narrative, but not necessarily a chronological timeline of events to take place in a particular order.
Other than a few parenthetical passages, the Seven Seals and what follows are in chronological order:

SEVEN SEALS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

SEVENTH SEAL TRUMPETS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

SEVENTH TRUMPET VIALS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Chapter 1 begins in the first century
Chapter 21 ends with eternity in the future
Almost all chapters follow a chronological progressing.

Reactions: Keraz

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Other than a few parenthetical passages, the Seven Seals and what follows are in chronological order:

SEVEN SEALS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

SEVENTH SEAL TRUMPETS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

SEVENTH TRUMPET VIALS
1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Chapter 1 begins in the first century
Chapter 21 ends with eternity in the future
Almost all chapters follow a chronological progressing.

All of this assumes each group themselves are chronological? I mean, you're assuming that the 1st through the 7th seal is a chronological sequence in itself, the 1st through the 7th trumpet is in chronological sequence, and the 1st through the 7th vial is a chronological sequence?

If so, I don't see any basis for this. It is purely chronological in John's time frame, as he sees each vision, one by one. The visions symbolize what will happen in this time, not necessarily in any particular order. The purpose is not to create a timeline of events, but rather, to show a progressive development that happens generally in the same timeframe.

At least that's how I look at it. I see no timing order whatsoever. In fact, it seems highly unlikely for these events to be anything more than symbols of things. And the symbols themselves are not likely to have their own chronological order to them.

Let's say I have a vision in which I see a lion, an ox, a leopard, and a bear. Now, the order in which I see these symbols may be ordered from one to four, but the fact I see them in sequence in no way requires that they represent a sequence in which they actually happen.

The lion could represent several different countries at several different times in any particular age. I may see them separately only as a priority for their size, or for their importance.

Seeing a list of things only indicates a prioritization, if no actual chronology is stated as the case. I see no necessary timing sequence in the lists of the seals, trumpet, and vials. Rather, it is likely they all take place at the same general time, with a progressive view to the completion of their purpose. They depict judgments that seem to indicate a comprehensive end as their purpose. They indicate a rising tide of judgment until a complete change is brought about.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The purpose is not to create a timeline of events, but rather, to show a progressive development that happens generally in the same timeframe.
Making a Bible given sequence into a meaningless jumble, is not helpful or even sensible.

Surely people can see that the first five Seals were opened by Jesus at His Ascension? The world has experienced terrible wars, famines and plagues, plus the Christians killed for their faith from Stephen until the present time.
It follows that the Sixth Seal will be the next prophesied event. That worldwide disaster will set the scene for all that must happen until Jesus Returns.

The Seventh Seal is about a 20 year time gap and the 7 Trumpets and 7 Bowls will occur sequentially, as described, during the final 3 1/2 years before the Return.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are a couple wrenches to throw into the mix!
The Four Horsemen bring pestilence, war, famine and death to 25% of the population of the earth. This cannot be historical - that never happenned. Also these are tied together, overlap and are accumulative. If we look at the Rider of the Red Horse who brings war, what happens with war? Certainly death. But wait, the Pale Horse brings death - they must be riding together.
Famine brings about death too - so the Rider on the Black Horse is riding with the others.
Let's look at the Rider of the Black Horse. When in history did a loaf of bread cost a days wage? Maybe in certain areas concerning small populations, but not the entire planet.
The Seals, Trumpets and Bowls pertain to the Great Tribulation, a period of at least 3 1/2 years, if not 7 years.
I think we have been in it for the last year. The Rider of the White Horse (Antichrist) brings a bow, is given a crown (doesn't say He is wearing it) and goes out to conquer. So in this time period, he conquers the world. He is empowered by Satan, who is the Father of lies. Evil surrounds him, which is why the other horsemen ride with him.
It is interesting that the coronavirus, looks like a crown and it has also conquered the world, not the pestilence itself, but the fear of It and control of the people to avoid it has. It is surrounded by lies, fear and abusive control that and removed freedoms and rights and is collapsing the economy.
If you guys don't think Satan is involved in this, well you don't have much discernment.
Obviously the wars haven't begun so there is somewhat of a separation and with one year into it, we can identify these events and the times we are in. The other horses slept in and will catch up later.

Last edited:

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The Four Horsemen bring pestilence, war, famine and death to 25% of the population of the earth. This cannot be historical - that never happenned. Also these are tied together, overlap and are accumulative.
Oh, but there has been huge wipeouts of humans, all thru the age. The Black Death, Aids and Spanish Flu, did it, the 2 World Wars did it, Famines in Ukraine and China did it.
However the real proof that those Four Horsemen have been rampaging for all this age, is the Fifth Seal; which shows hoe God keps the souls of every Christian killed for their faith since Stephen was stoned to death; under the Altar in heaven.

It then follows that the Sixth Seal is the next prophesied event we can expect. Wait for the Day! Zephaniah 3:8

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, but there has been huge wipeouts of humans, all thru the age. The Black Death, Aids and Spanish Flu, did it, the 2 World Wars did it, Famines in Ukraine and China did it.
Well certainly there have been more deaths in the 20th century then the previous 19 combined. But take for instance WWI. There were about 16 million deaths, yet that was only 1% of the population. WWII accounted for 60 -70 million deaths, abiut 3% of the population. Nothing in history has compared to what is described just in the first four seals. And btw, the 5th seal is a vision in heaven if the people that just died in the GT. They weren't there for a long time, because they were just given a white robe and they were told to wait a little longer for the judgment of the world - which refers to the GT.