The Absolute Truth.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are speaking about opposites.....there are opposites of many forms found in nature and in our human lives that we just take for granted. Count how many opposites you can name just off the top of your head....
In...out.....up...down....for...against.....large...small....with...without....internal...external....blunt...sharp....light...dark....heavyweight...lightweight....and the list goes on....

An infinite God is the opposite of finite man and all the finite things in creation......to say anything else without qualification, is nonsense.
Infinite means no finite. If infinite has an opposite, there is no infinite.

So God is just free-floating, unattached infinitude. Not infinitely loving, hateful, holy, unholy, good, evil, just, injust, wise, foolish or anything else - just "infinite." Surely you can see that this doesn't describe anything, let alone God. There has to be some referrant - infinitely wise, infinitely loving, infinitely knowledgeable, etc.
Not God is or isn’t per se, God just mean infinite. If there were anyone or anything describing, there is not infinite.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That makes no sense. Why would there be one thing.
They are mutually exclusive.
I am not God. I am finite.
God is infinite.
Infinite and one thing means there is not infinite. That’d be two finite things. Infinite just means no finite.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Infinite means no finite. If infinite has an opposite, there is no infinite.

Not God is or isn’t per se, God just mean infinite. If there were anyone or anything describing, there is not infinite.
This might be acceptable at a Taoist or Buddhist forum, if there is such a thing, but the God of Christianity is personal, not an amorphous "infinite."

JBO

Oct 20, 2023
Prescott, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God just means infinite.
Infinite is not a very good term to describe a spiritual, a nonphysical, entity. It typically deals with size or extent of a physical thing. God is Spirit. When we say that God is omnipresent, meaning God is everywhere, we usually do not mean that He is infinite in size or extent.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This might be acceptable at a Taoist or Buddhist forum, if there is such a thing, but the God of Christianity is personal, not an amorphous "infinite."
I was about to say the same thing . this sounds like new age buddism eastern religoin mindset .
ITS carnal wisdom of men who are always learning , but unable to come to the TRUTH .
For by the carnal mind no man can .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
its on line with this next concept too . Our truth , what we perceive as truth IS TRUTH .
They look at things , always overthinking , always delving into what they THINK is greater knowledge , Spiritual
and yet it only leads them farther and farther away from GOD , from the TRUTH .
I have watched these kinds of folks twist something so simple into a pretzel of continous twists .
and YET the simple truth could have untied that pretzel of confusion they see as truth .
new age mysticism etc has indeed rolled deep within churches today as well.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
its on line with this next concept too . Our truth , what we perceive as truth IS TRUTH .
They look at things , always overthinking , always delving into what they THINK is greater knowledge , Spiritual
I have watched these kinds of folks twist something so simple into a pretzel of continous twists .
and YET the simple truth could have untied that pretzel of confusion they see as truth .
Where I think @Phil . tipped his hand is right in his original post, where he stated that God "just" means infinite. It's the "just" that's the real problem because it suggests that God is nothing more than infinitude, which sounds suspiciously like the impersonal Void of Eastern religions. To be fair to Phil, I keep trying to steer him toward more conventional Christian understandings - yes, God is the Eternal, Wholly Transcendant Other whom we humans can unsderstand only to the extent He reveals Himself - but Phil won't take the olive branch and seems completely wedded his notion of God as "just" infinite.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where I think @Phil . tipped his hand is right in his original post, where he stated that God "just" means infinite. It's the "just" that's the real problem because it suggests that God is nothing more than infinitude, which sounds suspiciously like the impersonal Void of Eastern religions. To be fair to Phil, I keep trying to steer him toward more conventional Christian understandings - yes, God is the Eternal, Wholly Transcendant Other whom we humans can unsderstand only to the extent He reveals Himself - but Phil won't take the olive branch and seems completely wedded his notion of God as "just" infinite.
many do honor God as though he is but a force .
But marvel not
Read daniel . And he shall honor a strange god and a god of forces ........................
This new age stuff is all about that .

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Infinite means no finite.

That doesn’t mean anything about amorphous, Taoist or Buddhist.

My apologies if somehow it sounded like I was suggesting some people are acceptable & some people are not acceptable, or that some expression is acceptable and some expression is not acceptable. All that’s being said is God just means infinite.

Infinite is not a very good term to describe a spiritual, a nonphysical, entity. It typically deals with size or extent of a physical thing. God is Spirit. When we say that God is omnipresent, meaning God is everywhere, we usually do not mean that He is infinite in size or extent.
God just means infinite.
Infinite means no finite.

If somehow it seems like I’m saying something about size, physical, spirit, etc - my sincere apologies.

I was about to say the same thing . this sounds like new age buddism eastern religoin mindset .
ITS carnal wisdom of men who are always learning , but unable to come to the TRUTH .
For by the carnal mind no man can .
What’s being said is simply God just means infinite.

I do apologize if, in spite of not actually being said, it nonetheless seems like what’s being said is somehow about new age buddism eastern religion mindset, carnal wisdom / mins, etc. I’m not familiar with those terms and honestly don’t know what that is.

All that’s being said is God juts means infinite.

What’s being said is God just means infinite. I’m not familiar with new age mysticism. You’d have to explain what that is if you want any thoughts on it. Just for the sake of clear & transparent communication - I’m not recommending any of that stuff.

so cold means that heat does not exist . MAKES zero sense my friend.
While its true that cold is the absence of heat , IT DONT MEAN there is no heat .
Cold is the seeming absence of heat, just as deflection & projection are the seeming absence of warmth.

Again, for the sake of clear & transparent communication - I love you!

What’s being said is God just means infinite. I’m not suggesting in any way there is any problem. I am not familiar with any eastern philosophies or religion's. If that’s what you’re interested in, as far as I know you’re free to make another thread to discuss it. I’m not against it, that just isn’t the topic of this thread.

Olive branch wise, again to be as clear as is possible - I love you!

many do honor God as though he is but a force .
But marvel not
Read daniel . And he shall honor a strange god and a god of forces ........................
This new age stuff is all about that .
Not to sound like a broken record, but this thread isn’t about new age, buddism, etc, etc, etc. I mean no disrespect to anyone who is into that, it’s just not related to what’s being said with this thread.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God just means infinite.
No. The word "god" refers to a class of existents who have achieved mastery, which is synonymous with "lord." In Christendom, there is the use, and I argue, the abuse of this word by capitalizing it. Like, "dog", lord and god are both common nouns. The abuse comes from attempting to force politics as primary over metaphysics. Yes, Christians believe in one god, the father. And this is no different from the capitalized variations.

The god we Christians believe in has a name and it is found in Ex 3:15 and thousand other verses; YHWH. (Nothing that exists is infinite, including the universe itself).

Because of politics, this has become controversial with the 4th century manmade IDOLATRY of a 3-in-1 god. So, the eternal name of this god must be suppressed. Paradoxically, the 3rd "person" of this one god has no name. Go figure idol worship, right?

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. The word "god" refers to a class of existents who have achieved mastery, which is synonymous with "lord." In Christendom, there is the use, and I argue, the abuse of this word by capitalizing it. Like, "dog", lord and god are both common nouns. The abuse comes from attempting to force politics as primary over metaphysics. Yes, Christians believe in one god, the father. And this is no different from the capitalized variations.

The god we Christians believe in has a name and it is found in Ex 3:15 and thousand other verses; YHWH. (Nothing that exists is infinite, including the universe itself).

Because of politics, this has become controversial with the 4th century manmade IDOLATRY of a 3-in-1 god. So, the eternal name of this god must be suppressed. Paradoxically, the 3rd "person" of this one god has no name. Go figure idol worship, right?
If there is ‘a class of existents ’ & ‘politics’, there isn’t infinite.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said!

Infinite applies to a math series, not a person. God is bounded by his own nature loving but just, merciful but deadly, patient but Judgment Day awaits sooner or later.

Reactions: Phil . and ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If there is finite, there isn’t infinite.
(That doesn’t mean one can mind read or doesn’t love to hear what God means to those who love him).

(That doesn’t mean anyone is or isn’t closer to the truth in comparison with anyone else).

(That doesn’t mean there is annything abstract).

That's not true.

All the world is finite, while God is not.

Reactions: Phil .

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not true.

All the world is finite, while God is not.
If there is finite, by definition there isn’t infinite.

‘All the world’, while vague, is an apparent thought, which doesn’t define perception.

Try to measure ‘all the world’.

Last edited:

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said!

Infinite applies to a math series, not a person. God is bounded by his own nature loving but just, merciful but deadly, patient but Judgment Day awaits sooner or later.
A math series would be finite, and therein there wouldn’t be infinite. Infinite doesn’t apply to a person.
Math is a conceptualization of infinite.

If there is judgment day, by definition, there is not infinite.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mankind was created infinite, but was cast out and there became finite in a finite world wherein all are born finite.

Therefore, mankind must be born again out of this finite world, back into and of the infinite realm of God.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If there is finite, by definition there isn’t infinite.

‘All the world’, while vague, is an apparent thought, which doesn’t define perception.

Try to measure ‘all the world’.

You are out of your league, your element. All you are doing is defining your own understanding as limited to your own definition.

To the contrary of what you have stated, what is true, is that finite cannot define infinite.