The Absolute Truth.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God is infinite, but that is not all that God is.
We know that God is Holy, Just, Merciful, Loving, Kind, All Knowing, All Powerful etc etc etc
The statements ‘God just means infinite’, and ‘God is infinite’ are not quite the same.
Infinite means no finite.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The statements ‘God just means infinite’, and ‘God is infinite’ are not quite the same.
It might just mean 'infinite' to you . . .
God is infinite, but that is not all that God is.
We know that God is Holy, Just, Merciful, Loving, Kind, All Knowing, All Powerful etc etc etc
But to a true Christian that - above - it who God is.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, but then I would say "God is infinite" is closer to the truth than what you state in your first post.

Moreover, "Infinite" doesn't just exist in the abstract. It refers to something. Is God infinitely evil? No, He is eternal, unlimited, omnipotent, omnibenevolent, etc., etc., not just infinite in the abstract.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what infinite means but you don't seem to know what God means to those who love him.
If there is finite, there isn’t infinite.
(That doesn’t mean one can mind read or doesn’t love to hear what God means to those who love him).

OK, but then I would say "God is infinite" is closer to the truth than what you state in your first post.
(That doesn’t mean anyone is or isn’t closer to the truth in comparison with anyone else).

Moreover, "Infinite" doesn't just exist in the abstract. It refers to something. Is God infinitely evil? No, He is eternal, unlimited, omnipotent, omnibenevolent, etc., etc., not just infinite in the abstract.
(That doesn’t mean there is annything abstract).

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know what infinite means but you don't seem to know what God means to those who love him.
This is a good response .
but an even better one is that we first need to know what it means to actually love GOD .
cause the promise , the good GOD works , IS TO THOSE who LOVE HIM .
what does it mean TO LOVE GOD .
Well if one loveth not CHRIST , Then i dont care what show they put on by feeing the poor
or doing some good , THEY DO NOT LOVE GOD .
FOR had they loved GOD they would have LOVED CHRIST who came forth OF GOD .
JESUS said it first . TO the unbeliving jews . THUS you gotta know muslims buddists , atheist , new age and etc
DOES NOT KNOW OR LOVE GOD . cause not a one of them false religoins EMBRACES JESUS AS THE CHRIST .
Just a friendly reminder to remind us all that any love that implies muslims and other religoins
and atheist love GOD just cause they might do some good to their nieghbor , BE A FAT LIE from the dragon .
ALL WHO LOVE GOD would have LOVED JESUS CHRIST . THEY would have BELEIVED HE IS THE CHRIST
and would have LOVED HIM and thus LOVED HIS COMMANDMENTS .
BELIEVE YE IN JESUS CHRIST and love your neigbor as yourself . anything else that contradicts that BE Of anti christ
who wont be saving anyone .

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(That doesn’t mean one can mind read or doesn’t love to hear what God means to those who love him).

(That doesn’t mean anyone is or isn’t closer to the truth in comparison with anyone else).

You seem to be playing some obscure word game that isn't clear to me, and I'm not going to pursue it futher. "God just means infinite" is a non sequitur - nonsense. "God is infinite" is at least intelligible in the sense of expressing that God is eternal and omnipresent. You then state, "If there is finite, there isn't infinite." Again, this simply isn't an intelligible statement and seems contrary to your statement about God. Closer to the truth, about God anyway, would be "There is nothing finite about the infinite God." Anyway, I have no clue what point you are making.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No. For there to be finite then there must be infinite, or there is no reason for finite to be described . It would just be.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You seem to be playing some obscure word game that isn't clear to me, and I'm not going to pursue it futher. "God just means infinite" is a non sequitur - nonsense. "God is infinite" is at least intelligible in the sense of expressing that God is eternal and omnipresent. You then state, "If there is finite, there isn't infinite." Again, this simply isn't an intelligible statement and seems contrary to your statement about God. Closer to the truth, about God anyway, would be "There is nothing finite about the infinite God." Anyway, I have no clue what point you are making.
It’s not obscure or any kind of game. It’s simple & straightforward intelligible english. ‘If there is finite, there isn’t infinite’ is just the opposite way of saying ‘infinite means no finite’.

No. For there to be finite then there must be infinite, or there is no reason for finite to be described . It would just be.
If there is any finite thing, infinite and said finite thing would be two things, and therein there would not be infinite.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s not obscure or any kind of game. It’s simple & straightforward intelligible english. ‘If there is finite, there isn’t infinite’ is just the opposite way of saying ‘infinite means no finite’.

If there is any finite thing, infinite and said finite thing would be two things, and therein there would not be infinite.
Last time: The concepts of both finite and infinite are central fo both mathematics and physics. God is infinite in the sense of being eternal and omnipresent; His creation is finite. Perhaps you should try to state the point you are making without reliance on the terms "infinite" or "finite"? "God is unlimited in all His attributes," perhaps.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last time: The concepts of both finite and infinite are central fo both mathematics and physics. God is infinite in the sense of being eternal and omnipresent; His creation is finite. Perhaps you should try to state the point you are making without reliance on the terms "infinite" or "finite"? "God is unlimited in all His attributes," perhaps.
Even infinite and a concept would mean there isn’t infinite.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are speaking about opposites.....there are opposites of many forms found in nature and in our human lives that we just take for granted. Count how many opposites you can name just off the top of your head....
In...out.....up...down....for...against.....large...small....with...without....internal...external....blunt...sharp....light...dark....heavyweight...lightweight....and the list goes on....

An infinite God is the opposite of finite man and all the finite things in creation......to say anything else without qualification, is nonsense.

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So God is just free-floating, unattached infinitude. Not infinitely loving, hateful, holy, unholy, good, evil, just, injust, wise, foolish or anything else - just "infinite." Surely you can see that this doesn't describe anything, let alone God. There has to be some referrant - infinitely wise, infinitely loving, infinitely knowledgeable, etc.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That makes no sense. Why would there be one thing.
They are mutually exclusive.
I am not God. I am finite.
God is infinite.