The Bible says, “If we willfully keep on sinning…, there remains no more sacrifice for sins.” How ca

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hora.J

Oct 15, 2015
The Bible says, “If we willfully keep on sinning…, there remains no more sacrifice for sins.” How can man break free from the bondage of sin?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. - 1 Corinthians 12:3

I would think that continued willful sinning can become a sin against the Holy Spirit where there is no more sacrifice for such sins. However... The bible says that no man can say that Jesus is Lord but by the Holy Spirit. So as long as you are able to declare Jesus as Lord you have not over stepped the boundary. Furthermore the bible says...

Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:

And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him. - James 5:14-15

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. - Galatians 6:1

So there are times when sins occur in the life of the believer. As long as the heart is tender I believe that it is a fleshly matter that can be forgiven. I believe the sin talked about here is when the Christian flat out leaves the fellowship for the wild party life, caring not that he has sinned, let down the brethren, and exposed Christ to an open shame.

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ultimately, every sin is willful! There are no incidental or accidental sin.

How can a man break free from the bondage of sin? HE CAN'T!

Man can only cry out to God like the publican of Luke 18 as he cried, “have mercy on me a sinner”.

To God Be The Glory

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
Hora.J said:
The Bible says, “If we willfully keep on sinning…, there remains no more
sacrifice for sins.” How can man break free from the bondage of sin?
†. Heb 10:26 . . For if we sin willfully after that we have received the
knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins

The letter to Hebrews was written to a specific people with whom God
covenanted in the Old Testament as per Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and
Deuteronomy. So then, in context, the pronoun "we" in the passage above
doesn't target Gentiles: it targets the author and his fellow Jews.

Heb 10:26 refers to a passage in the covenant; which essentially says that if
and when Yhvh's people know in advance that something is a sin, yet go
ahead and do it anyway, they're out of luck because there are no
atonements stipulated in the convent for scofflaws.

"Anyone who sins defiantly, whether native-born or alien, blasphemes Yhvh,
and that person must be cut off from his people. Because he has despised
Yhvh's word and broken His commands, that person must surely be cut off;
his guilt remains on him." (Num 15:30-31)

Q: What's a Hebrew scofflaw to do about his situation seeing as how the
covenant provides him no way to escape the wrath of God?

A: Switch to a different covenant.

"Let it be known to you, brethren, that through him forgiveness of sins is
proclaimed to you, and through him everyone who believes is freed from all
things, from which you could not be freed through the Law of Moses." (Acts
13:38-40)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What was the purpose for Jesus coming, to take our past sins away or to help us to stop sinning or to kill the sin nature that we created in us ?

Is the new man a sinner by birth ?

When did the old man died ?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hora.J said:
The Bible says, “If we willfully keep on sinning…, there remains no more sacrifice for sins.” How can man break free from the bondage of sin?
Hora,

I encourage you to provide the Bible reference for your quote.

Let's look at the context of this verse (Heb 10:23-26 ESV):

Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, 25 not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near. 26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, 27 but a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries.

While the writer is addressing Jewish believers, he is saying:
  • There is a call to remain faithful in our Christian confession of hope;
  • We need to stir one another on to love and good works. Why? Because it's so easy to become slack in our lack of love and failure to do good works (not to earn salvation, but to demonstrate we are saved);
  • We need to meet together. In the first and twenty-first centuries, there are temptations not to gather as believers. We need to encourage one another to do this as 'the Day' (possibly of persecution, but more probably of judgment) is coming.
  • It is possible to continue to sin deliberately as believers. What does it mean for these people, 'there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins'? There is a danger of apostasy - abandoning the faith. This verse warns believers of the serious consequences of falling into this deliberate sin - it's fatal for salvation because no 'sacrifice for sins' remains for them.
  • We know this deliberate sin is serious because of the statement in v. 27, 'a fearful expectation of judgment, and a fury of fire that will consume the adversaries'. This is the apostasy the writer is warning for these Jewish Christians.
Oz

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-
Bible_Gazer said:
What was the purpose for Jesus coming, to take our past sins away
Christianity is not only a supernatural religion; it's a lethal religion. It quite
literally, in some mysterious way that I don't quite understand; put Christ's
believing followers to death. Their entire existence, as natural-born human
beings, went up on the cross with him.

†. Rom 6:3 . . Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into
Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?

†. Rom 6:6 . . Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him

†. Gal 2:20 . . I am crucified with Christ

†. Col 3:3 . . For you died when Christ died

In other words; Christ didn't just take away their past sins; he took away
every sin; even the ones they've yet to commit; viz: their whole life from
womb to grave.

Bible_Gazer said:
Is the new man a sinner by birth?
The new man is a non-sinner by birth.

†. 1John 3:9 . . No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed
abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Webers_Home said:
-

Christianity is not only a supernatural religion; it's a lethal religion. It quite
literally, in some mysterious way that I don't quite understand; put Christ's
believing followers to death. Their entire existence, as natural-born human
beings, went up on the cross with him.

†. Rom 6:3 . . Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into
Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?

†. Rom 6:6 . . Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him

†. Gal 2:20 . . I am crucified with Christ

†. Col 3:3 . . For you died when Christ died

In other words; Christ didn't just take away their past sins; he took away
every sin; even the ones they've yet to commit; viz: their whole life from
womb to grave.

The new man is a non-sinner by birth.

†. 1John 3:9 . . No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed
abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
But did Jesus come to take the sinful ways out of our heart also, does he not want a pure heart to worship him ?

James W

Dec 17, 2015
S.W Michigan for now
Jun2u said:
Ultimately, every sin is willful! There are no incidental or accidental sin.

How can a man break free from the bondage of sin? HE CAN'T!

Man can only cry out to God like the publican of Luke 18 as he cried, “have mercy on me a sinner”.

To God Be The Glory
This is not 100 percent correct. You say man can not break free from the bondage of sin - then you are saying that what the first adam did was bigger then what the second and final adam ( Jesus) did on the cross. Now we know this can NOT ever be true. Scripture tells us............Romans 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness. and in 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. these are but a few.

We do not have to be under control or a slave to any sin nature once we are born again and spirit filled. See that I said we Do Not Have To Be for it is and always will be our choice to walk in the Spirit or not.
Scripture tells us to walk in the spirit and we will not fulfill the lust of the flesh which is that ol raunchy sin nature. Here is how it is done.

Romans 12:2 ....
And be not conformed to this world; but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God

(( Get His word in you each and every day and speak His word each and every day ))

2 Corinthians 10:4-5
4... For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to pulling down strong holds
5... Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

(( Begin to practice the words you speak and thoughts you think for our thoughts and words to control how we act or react and believe. Our own words do more do influence our thinking then most of everything else. ))

Galatians 5:16
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh

(( The more you do the first two the more you will begin to walk in the Spirit and you will be amazed to say the least. ))
All done through the Grace of God - who maketh all grace abound to me. ( 2 Corinthians 9:8 )

God Bless and Have a very Merry Blessed Christmas
James W

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Amen webers Home,

Rom_8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

If theer is guilt then you are not walking in the spirit, simple.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Hora.J said:
How can there be no sacrifice for sins left when Jesus was the final sacrifice...

Heb 10:10-14 NIV And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. 14For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Also, the saints do not keep on sinning. This is describing nonbelievers...Rom 6:14 NIV, 1 John 3:6 NIV, 1 John 3:9 NIV, 1 John 5:18 NIV.

- ATP

James W

Dec 17, 2015
S.W Michigan for now
ATP said:
How can there be no sacrifice for sins left when Jesus was the final sacrifice...

Heb 10:10-14 NIV And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. 11Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, 13and since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool. 14For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

Also, the saints do not keep on sinning. This is describing nonbelievers...Rom 6:14 NIV, 1 John 3:6 NIV, 1 John 3:9 NIV, 1 John 5:18 NIV.

- ATP
Brother this is to believers and not simply for unbelievers and also saints do keep on sinning. Unforgiveness is a sin. Not walking in love is a sin. Insisting your right and not making peace is a sin and on and on and on.
God Bless
James

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
James W said:
and also saints do keep on sinning.
Rom 6:14 NIV For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

1 John 3:6 NIV No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

1 John 3:9 NIV No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

1 John 5:18 NIV We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them.

James W said:
Brother this is to believers and not simply for unbelievers
I would respectfully disagree.

2 Pet 2:1 NIV But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.

2 Pet 2:14 NIV With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed--an accursed brood!

James W

Dec 17, 2015
S.W Michigan for now
ATP said:
Rom 6:14 NIV For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

1 John 3:6 NIV No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
1 John 3:9 NIV No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

1 John 5:18 NIV We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them.

I would respectfully disagree.

2 Pet 2:1 NIV But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves.

2 Pet 2:14 NIV With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed--an accursed brood!
Ok I will ask, How do you use these scriptures to say that the scriptures in question are not written for the born again beleiver.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Its all about this bit,

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Its accepting the fact that we are "human" and not perfect and knowing that God made allowance for that fact. You cannot perfect your self, if you are feeling Guilty than you have not accepted His Grace and forgiveness..

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
2Co 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

In all His Love

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
James W said:
Ok I will ask, How do you use these scriptures to say that the scriptures in question are not written for the born again beleiver.
I respond with a question that nobody is able to answer.
How can there be no sacrifice for sins left when Jesus was the final sacrifice?
If there is contradiction in the Bible then we can't trust God's Word.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I respond with a question that nobody is able to answer.
How can there be no sacrifice for sins left when Jesus was the final sacrifice?
If there is contradiction in the Bible then we can't trust God's Word.
I have no trouble trusting Jesus" Gods Word" the bible is a different matter.

It refers to that if one rejects Christ after Knowing Him, accepting His sacrifice, receiving the Holy Spirit etc, than Christ can not be put on teh cross a second time for that pesron. Jesus did it "once", He wont be doing it again for anyone. Know to reject Christ is to cast Him out like a devil it is the only way one can loose ones salvation.

2Ti 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
2Ti 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

In all his Love

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
mjrhealth said:
I have no trouble trusting Jesus" Gods Word" the bible is a different matter.

It refers to that if one rejects Christ after Knowing Him, accepting His sacrifice, receiving the Holy Spirit etc, than Christ can not be put on teh cross a second time for that pesron. Jesus did it "once", He wont be doing it again for anyone. Know to reject Christ is to cast Him out like a devil it is the only way one can loose ones salvation.

2Ti 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with him: if we deny him, he also will deny us:
2Ti 2:13 If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself.

In all his Love
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year mjr. :)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
you too ATP

Not so sure its going to be a happy new year, will have to wait and see.

James W

Dec 17, 2015
S.W Michigan for now
mjrhealth said:
Its all about this bit,

Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Its accepting the fact that we are "human" and not perfect and knowing that God made allowance for that fact. You cannot perfect your self, if you are feeling Guilty than you have not accepted His Grace and forgiveness..

2Co 12:7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
2Co 12:8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
2Co 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

In all His Love
Hello MJRHealth,
These scriptures are all good but I must ask how are you presenting them? How do you take what Paul is saying ?
Blessings
James