The Biblical Basis for Catholic Distinctives

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL
Don’t require your reputation....Already concluded, tens of thousands are “Christ’s Church”, and the “catholic church” is excluded from that accounting.
Once again - Jesus prayed fervently that HIDS Church remain as ONE - as He and the Father are ONE (John 17:20-23).
That ONENESS is not manifwsted by the confusion of your tens of thousands of MAN-MADE and perpetually-splintering factions.

The Catholic Church, on the other hand, is the Original Tree from which ALL disjointed and doctrinally-different Protestant sects have splintered . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once again - Jesus prayed fervently that HIDS Church remain as ONE - as He and the Father are ONE (John 17:20-23).

Christ’s Church WAS Established By Christ, as ONE Church, Called His Church. The Lords appointment of the First members of Christ’s Church WERE Jews.

Gentiles began joining in and soon Gentiles took over Jesus’ Church....
MAKING umpteen CHANGES to Christ’s Word, to Christ’ Doctrine, to What Christ’s Church was Called, on and on..................and the Jews Deflected.

The Catholic Church, on the other hand, is the Original Tree...

A ridiculous :confused: and sad :( arrogant claim, but not surprised. :rolleyes:

No worry’s God is a FIXER of Corruption!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ’s Church WAS Established By Christ, as ONE Church, Called His Church. The Lords appointment of the First members of Christ’s Church WERE Jews.
Gentiles began joining in and soon Gentiles took over Jesus’ Church....
MAKING umpteen CHANGES to Christ’s Word, to Christ’ Doctrine, to What Christ’s Church was Called, on and on.
.................and the Jews Deflected.

In other words - YOU simply don't believe in Jesus's promise that -

Matt. 16:18.
"... upon this rock I will build MY CHURCH and the gates of hrll will NOT prevail ahainst it."

YOU
actually berlirvr ythat men could UNDO what He guaranteed they coiuld NOT.
What a pathetic lack of faith . . .
A ridiculous :confused: and sad :( arrogant claim, but not surprised. :rolleyes:

No worry’s God is a FIXER of Corruption!
Ummmm, it's not MY claim, Einstein.

Those are the words of PTOTESTANT historian, Kenneth Samples from his essay, What Think Ye of Rome?

Here is the full quote:
"Catholicism, on the other hand, is the largest body within Christendom, having almost a two‐thousand‐year history (it has historical continuity with apostolic, first century Christianity), and is the ecclesiastical tree from which Protestantism originally splintered."

Do your homework, son . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words - YOU simply don't believe in Jesus's promise that -

As Usual YOUR OTHER WORDS, trying to speak FOR ME, are a FAIL!

Matt. 16:18.
"... upon this rock I will build MY CHURCH and the gates of hrll will NOT prevail ahainst it."

Christ’s Church He called his Possessive; “MY CHURCH” Built UPON
Jesus is the Christ, (the ROCK), the Son of the Living God...

It isn’t in peril.....you yourself have repeatedly identified there are Tens of Thousands of “Christ’s Churches...” commonly called
Non-catholic churches.

actually berlirvr ythat men could UNDO what He guaranteed they coiuld NOT.

As usual YOUR dribble trying to speak for me is a FAIL.

Kenneth Samples...
Here is the full quote:
"Catholicism, on the other hand, is the largest body within Christendom, having almost a two‐thousand‐year history (it has historical continuity with apostolic, first century Christianity), and is the ecclesiastical tree from which Protestantism originally splintered."

I’m not particularly interested in Philosophical authors such as Kenneth Samples, but did hear he contributed to author Elliot Miller’s book;
The Cult of the Virgin... care to share some quotes from that author?

And...as I said God is the FIXER of Corruption.

The LARGEST is not a highlight....Remember...?
Matt 22:
[14] For many are called, but few are chosen.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Usual YOUR OTHER WORDS, trying to speak FOR ME, are a FAIL!
Christ’s Church He called his Possessive; “MY CHURCH” Built UPON
Jesus is the Christ, (the ROCK), the Son of the Living God...
It isn’t in peril.....
you yourself have repeatedly identified there are Tens of Thousands of “Christ’s Churches...” commonly called Non-catholic churches.
I haven't sais ANY such thing.

In fact - piuint me tpo the post where I said there were "tens of thousands of 'Christ's Churches'". You can't because you're LYING again.
I said there were tens of thousands os disjointed and perpetually-splintering Protestant sects.

You REALLY need to read Exoduc 20:16.
If it weren't for LUYING - you wouldn't have musch to say . . .
As usual YOUR dribble trying to speak for me is a FAIL.
No - as usual, I was SPOT ON.

YOU said that Gentiles infiltrated Christ's Church and perverted it.
Jesus said this could NEVER happen (Matt. 16:18),

Angry and ignorant is NO way to go through life, son . . .
I’m not particularly interested in Philosophical authors such as Kenneth Samples, but did hear he contributed to author Elliot Miller’s book;
The Cult of the Virgin... care to share some quotes from that author?

And...as I said God is the FIXER of Corruption.

The LARGEST is not a highlight....Remember...?
Matt 22:
[14] For many are called, but few are chosen.
Nope.
I'm content just showinbg you what Mr. Samples wrote about the Cathollic Church going ALL the way back to the Apostles - and being the Original Tree from which Protestantism splintered.

That''s just an historical fact - and I like history . . .

Last edited:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since when does having statutes and/or pictures of martyrs and/or saints in church mean that Jesus is NOT the focus?

If you have pictures of your children/family/friends/pets on your desk at work, does that mean that your focus isn't on your job?

It doesn't. I'm not asking about focus on familyon a desk.
but this practice wasn't done in the former times , and later in Rome, it was. Was it for proselytizing the Romans from paganism into Christianity? The former world was loaded with statues of gods and goddesses and these were worshiped. . I was just curious as to why they showed up in churches?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Better yet - speak not about that which you do NOT know.
Many will hold to that which decays and leads to death . But as for the lambs we cling to Christ and learn our bibles well .
Had you been in that bible you would have seen what angered GOD the absolute most .
Then you would have also seen that the RCC has done that very thing and all with her all inclusive false gospel
My advice , When pope francis speaks , close thine ears and when many protestant leaders do speak
and all are running to be as one , YOU RUN THE OTHER WAY . Lambs will gather with lambs WHO LOVE CHRIST above all
but what a lamb wont do is gather with those who have sold the original gospel out for sake of unity and fellowship .
In case you have not realized this yet , YOU do realize this is all about creating a mindset
that will have all religions to merge as one and do the bidding of a global wicked dark govt .
THEY being led to the spiritual slaughter and have no idea .
WE should have stuck to the doctrine of CHRIST and of those apostles . AND even though many claim they still do
NOPE their fruits and teachings and actions PROVE THEY HAVE ABANDONED THE PURE and HOLY PATH once delivered unto the
saints long ago . My advice stands . GET IN that bible , while there is still time to do so .
Learn THAT JESUS and learn THOSE apostels well . THEN ye shall clearly that something has went big time wrong IN CHRISTENDOM .
HURRY , do not look back . FLEE it and i will also be praying for you and for others .

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It doesn't. I'm not asking about focus on family on a desk.
The principle is the same. You miss the point entirely. Having memoirs is normal to universal human experience, until Calvin came along. Calvinists make statues of Calvin, who banned all statues. Does that make sense?
but this practice wasn't done in the former times , and later in Rome, it was.
Wrong. God commanded the Temple be decorated. There are examples of such images pleasing to God throughout the OT. 1 Kings7:25-28, 32-27, The Cherubim on the Ark Exodus 25:18-21, Ezekiel describing the Inner Temple 41:18 “ Every cherub had two faces.. a man’s face… a young lion’s face…they were carved on the house all around…” the temple of Solomon Kings 6:23 The two great Cerubs, and Cherubs all around, and the walls, the doors…!
Was it for proselytizing the Romans from paganism into Christianity?
No.
The former world was loaded with statues of gods and goddesses and these were worshiped. .
Worship of statues is expressly forbidden. The ban on images is soley related to false worship, not images per se.
I was just curious as to why they showed up in churches?
The 'practice' of paintings and statues could not appear in churches in the first 3 centuries because
1) Christianity was ILLEGAL
2) There were no churches
The Christians in the 1st century went into hiding, but that didn't stop them from expressing Scripture in art form. Less than 1% could read. The evidence is found in the ancient catacombs. Pagan Romans stayed away from cemeteries out of their superstition, so the catacombs were the only safe place for Christians to worship.

WHAT ARE THE ROMAN CATACOMBS?

The catacombs are underground tunnels that were forged out of soft rock. They are long, marrow winding corridors. The dead were buried in the walls on either side. From time to time, going through these corridors, one comes to a wider space like a room. In these rooms the Christians would gather for the sacrifice of the Mass so as to worship free from the pagan’s persecutions.

Burial in the catacombs stopped when the barbarians plundered Rome. The popes removed the relics of the saints and martyrs from the catacombs. The catacombs, once abandoned, were gradually forgotten and not discovered again until the end of the sixteenth century. Most famous of the catacombs is that of St. Callistus, where many of the popes were buried after they were martyred for the faith.

HOW THE CATACOMBS BEAR WITNESS TO THE TRUE CATHOLIC FAITH TODAY

An authentic Catholic catechism, containing to true Catholic teachings, could be composed from the pictures and inscriptions on the tombs and walls of ancient catacombs of the first three centuries. Pictures, medals, and inscriptions in the catacombs identify the faith of the early Christians with the Catholic faith.

The catacombs prove that the first Christians believed that Jesus Christ is true God and true Man. They also believed in the Real Presence of Jesus in the holy Eucharist, the divine institution of the papacy, the dignity of the mother of God, the intercession of the saints, purgatory, prayers for the deceased.

The emblem of the fish, ichthys, was frequently used in the catacombs. It is a symbol of the Lord Jesus, for the Greek word ichthys means “fish” and its letters are the initials for “Jesus Christ, God’s Son, Savior.” When Christians spoke of “receiving the fish”, they meant to receive Jesus in Holy communion.

Frequently, pictures of our Savior in the catacombs reveal him as the Good Shepherd., carrying the lost sheep on his shoulders. This is the ancient biblical form which reveals the same message as our modern devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. A number of people are sitting around a table on which is bread and fish.

Death and resurrection were often in the minds of the early Christians, as indicated by the pictures of Noah and the ark, Jonah and the whale, Daniel in the lions’ den, and the raising of Lazarus. Their faith in resurrection and eternal life gave them courage in facing death under persecution. There is also the famous account of Tarsicius being martyred a he took the holy Eucharist, the bread of life, to Christian prisoners.

The eucharistic sacrifice of the Mass was offered in the catacombs on the altars under which rested the bodies of martyrs. Catholic altars even today have “altar stones” in which the relics of saints and martyrs were placed by bishops when they consecrated the altar stones.

A Catechism of the Catholic Church, by Robert J. Fox. Copyright© Franciscan Herald Press, pgs. 20, 21

First Known Image of Mary, In Catacombs of Priscilla, 170 A.D.
catacombs.gif

detailed analysis

See also
Rome’s Catacombs witness to the Catholic faith of the early Church

Images and Words- the Catholic use of Statues and Paintings

Last edited:
Reactions: Berserk and Mink57

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't sais ANY such thing.

Stop squirming...
Factually....you explicitly said, your church is the “Catholic Church”....
Factually....you explicitly said, there are tens of thousand of Protestant churches.
Since you avoided the all the FACTS....they were provided you....that Protestant churches ARE “Christ’s Church”.

In fact - piuint me tpo the post where I said there were "tens of thousands of 'Christ's Churches'". You can't because you're LYING again.
I said there were tens of thousands os disjointed and perpetually-splintering Protestant sects.

Stop squirming.
You as a representative of the catholic church stated that it is the official position of the catholic church it is the only one true church.
On the flip side I take the side of the tens of thousands Protestant Churches, their position is the Church is Christ’s Church.
While you dictate they are “splintered”, I take the position they are solidified as Christ’s ONE church.

No - as usual, I was SPOT ON.

Uh no. LOL

said that Gentiles infiltrated Christ's Church and perverted it. Jesus said this could NEVER happen (Matt. 16:18),

LOL...Jesus said there would BE FALSE preachers. False preachers are NOT THE GATES OF HELL. The world has not ended. If you don’t believe Jesus now....hide and watch. His Word shall prevail.

and ignorant is NO way to go through life, son . . .

Angry and Ignorant is your issue, not mine. Take your own advice...ALL of it, including your own words. You eat them. Stop pretending you can speak for me, it’s always an Obvious FAIL on your part, for ALL to see and read!

I'm content just showinbg you what Mr. Samples wrote about the Cathollic Church going ALL the way back to the Apostles - and being the Original Tree from which Protestantism splintered.
That''s just an historical fact - and I like history . . .

Except ...that you SKIPPED the part of the Gentiles learning from Jews...teaching what the Jews taught.........UNTIL the Jewish Apostles died off....and Gentiles were in complete charge of the Church....and began having their RENAMED Christ’s Church.....to the Catholic Church.....making up new Doctrines...and much like you do...Pretending they are Christ’s Gospel truth...
When they are NOT!
The Catholic Church, splintered off from Christ’s Church.
The Catholic Church, splintered off from the Catholic Roman Church.
The Catholic Church, “pretends” they are all in agreement, YET have “sects” that do not ALL agree with the Catholic Church.
Men calling themselves Catholics, began reading and studying the Texts of Gods Word, and FOUND, what Catholic Priests were ORALLY SPEAKING, were NOT according to the Word of God.
The Catholic Priests were CHALLENGED, and as they have done for centuries, DENIED, and expelled the Challenger. Whoop, Whoop.
The Challenger went on to Preach the Truth according to Gods Word.
As more and more men learned to Read, gained access to written Text, they were ABLE TO VERIFY who was speaking the TRUTH.
But HOW HANDY, for Catholics to conduct Council after Council writing their little Doctrines, and Concluding the Written Text of Gods Word, did NOT solely need to be Relied on for VERIFICATION of Gods Truth!
But moreso, (as you do)...the Scriptural Text should be used by Catholics as a WEAPON. Simply change what a person claims, put your words in their mouth, and then USE the Scriptures to make them (with your words stuffed in their mouth) appear as liars....then lambast them with snarky accusations.)
It’s OLD worn out cunning sadistic trickery...and does not go unnoticed!
What a world-wind of deceptive malarkey. And you too naive to even notice your succession of popes that continuously CHANGE what you are SUPPOSE to believe, because it was uttered from the lips of a presently sitting pope.
Talk about splintered! The catholic church is famous for believe this today, do this today....HIDE the deception....and oops if the deception is revealed....DENY.....and if the deception is Pressed and Pushed into the Open.....grin and tomorrow establish a whole new set of beliefs.
Yes the catholic church has a long history....and many skeletons....no matter how deep they bury them under their churches....the Truth does not die.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many will hold to that which decays and leads to death . But as for the lambs we cling to Christ and learn our bibles well .
Had you been in that bible you would have seen what angered GOD the absolute most .
Then you would have also seen that the RCC has done that very thing and all with her all inclusive false gospel
My advice , When pope francis speaks , close thine ears and when many protestant leaders do speak
and all are running to be as one , YOU RUN THE OTHER WAY . Lambs will gather with lambs WHO LOVE CHRIST above all
but what a lamb wont do is gather with those who have sold the original gospel out for sake of unity and fellowship .
In case you have not realized this yet , YOU do realize this is all about creating a mindset
that will have all religions to merge as one and do the bidding of a global wicked dark govt .
THEY being led to the spiritual slaughter and have no idea .
WE should have stuck to the doctrine of CHRIST and of those apostles . AND even though many claim they still do
NOPE their fruits and teachings and actions PROVE THEY HAVE ABANDONED THE PURE and HOLY PATH once delivered unto the
saints long ago . My advice stands . GET IN that bible , while there is still time to do so .
Learn THAT JESUS and learn THOSE apostels well . THEN ye shall clearly that something has went big time wrong IN CHRISTENDOM .
HURRY , do not look back . FLEE it and i will also be praying for you and for others .
Had YOU stuck to the doctrines of Christ and the Apostles – YOU would be in His Church.
Unfortunately, you have decided to self-separate from Christ via His Body – the Church.

Good luck with that as you continue to misinterpret your Bible by wrongly thinking it is your “SOLE” autthority . . .

The Church’s GOD-given Authority –

Matt 16:18-19
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:18
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Had YOU stuck to the doctrines of Christ and the Apostles – YOU would be in His Church.
Unfortunately, you have decided to self-separate from Christ via His Body – the Church.

Good luck with that as you continue to misinterpret your Bible by wrongly thinking it is your “SOLE” autthority . . .

I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

The Catholic "church" is just one of many denominations, yet it sells itself as the one true church. Where is this declaration found in Scripture? And please don't cite the "on this rock I will build my church", as shortly thereafter Jesus said in Mark 8:33, "But after turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan. You are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but on man’s.” There is no pope in Scripture, no bishops or cardinals either.

The massive building in Jerusalem -- the temple -- was destroyed and the priestly class performing all kinds of rituals was made obsolete, yet the Catholic church, in following many OT practices, has made a travesty of the simplicity and truth found in Christ.

You should pay attention to your last two quotes, as they contain truth that apparently has escaped your thinking.

Sola scriptura.

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Lambs wont sit under a harlot. Lambs heed the call , COME OUT from amongst her , lest ye partake of her sins and of her plagues .
I completely refuse that church . I speak only to help you , for i desire good for you and life for you .
Should have held to the orginal doctrine of Christ and of those apostles .
JESUS himself gives a good and dire warning about not following those who deck themselves up in fancy clothing
Yet for centuries that church has had popes and men have had to kneel and kiss thier rings .
PETER would not allow men to kneel before him . But people love religoin , they love man made traditions and the precepts of men .
There is an allure by the flesh of man that has them to gather under that which is not true .
But praise GOD , the lambs have no such desire to sit under strangers , but rather they heed and follow only the voice
of the great shepard Jesus Christ . And men who teach truth they will heed and gather with
but the voice of strangers who commit fornication and sit under a harlot , they simply wont follow nor heed .
But what these will do , is out of great love warn all COME YE OUT FROM AMONGST HER .

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lambs wont sit under a harlot. Lambs heed the call , COME OUT from amongst her , lest ye partake of her sins and of her plagues .
I completely refuse that church . I speak only to help you , for i desire good for you and life for you .
Should have held to the orginal doctrine of Christ and of those apostles .
JESUS himself gives a good and dire warning about not following those who deck themselves up in fancy clothing
Yet for centuries that church has had popes and men have had to kneel and kiss thier rings .
PETER would not allow men to kneel before him . But people love religoin , they love man made traditions and the precepts of men .
There is an allure by the flesh of man that has them to gather under that which is not true .
But praise GOD , the lambs have no such desire to sit under strangers , but rather they heed and follow only the voice
of the great shepard Jesus Christ . And men who teach truth they will heed and gather with
but the voice of strangers who commit fornication and sit under a harlot , they simply wont follow nor heed .
But what these will do , is out of great love warn all COME YE OUT FROM AMONGST HER .

Great post!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not surprised you think exalting the Lord God is a joke. :eek:
But exalting a pope and their church as the only church is what they find NECESSARY .
My friend i have chosen the path of the glorious LORD JESUS . And have heard the call
to worship and pray only to the CREATOR and not the created .
I have great fear for that church and for many even within the protestant realm .
Just like in the days of samuel , people seem to have this desire to have men rule over them
Give us a king they holler , give us a pope they hollered
And yet the lambs knew and still know , WE have our KING and HIS VOICE is who we shall follow .
If we notice the first apostels saw themselves as equals and as SERVANTS unto the church .
THIS has changed big time . Now men LORD over their flocks and proclaim themselves as some great thing
and teach doctrines contrary to GOD and TO CHRIST and all for the sake of control and worship
and gain . Many have long forgotten HOW JESUS walked .
How THOUGH HE WAS WORTHY TO BE EXALTED ABOVE ALL , Yet came as a servant .
He wore no better clothes than his desciples , He did not ride in big fancy chariots
He did not deck himself up with a large crown , rather HE WORE A CROWN OF THORNS .
The popes , the bennys and kennys and many within christendom . NO longer walk in the steps of CHRIST
but rather in the steps of men who have taught them doctrines which have allured their flesh to serve them .
Its so sad to watch them destroy themselves and to sit and trust in men who not only have decieved them
but have led them down a path of darkness from which they cannot see and they cling and hope in these men
and their traditions, who can never give them light . IF ONLY the peoples had come to CHRIST
and had learned from HIM . I See nothing but bondage all over the place and worse so many love to have it so .
As for me and the lambs , WE GONNA POINT TO THE LAMB , TO THE RISEN KING who IS the ONLY HOPE and only salvation .
Cling to HIM my friend and love all things that HE and later the apostels would teach .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
HOW THE CATACOMBS BEAR WITNESS TO THE TRUE CATHOLIC FAITH TODAY

A Catechism of the Catholic Church, by Robert J. Fox. Copyright© Franciscan Herald Press, pgs. 20, 21

First Known Image of Mary, In Catacombs of Priscilla, 170 A.D.
catacombs.gif

detailed analysis

See also
Rome’s Catacombs witness to the Catholic faith of the early Church

Images and Words- the Catholic use of Statues and Paintings

@Cassandra

That is interesting. But also worthy to note the time frame. 170 A.D.
Considering, John the Last Apostle to die in 100 A.D. and in that short span of 70 years men were carving stone images of Mary....when not one Apostle taught, or engaged in carving of images of Mary or Jesus.
And to note today, the numerous carved images, portraits, statues....(from what knowledge that Mary looked like ??)....and not only exist, admired....but are bowed Dow to and are Kissed and have trinkets laid down are elevated up and yes some do pray TO the statues.....none of that taught by Jesus or His Apostles or Scripture.....but in fact Scripturally discouraged and forbidden.
That is a big question mark for many people.

Just saying,
Taken

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Catholic "church" is just one of many denominations, yet it sells itself as the one true church. Where is this declaration found in Scripture? And please don't cite the "on this rock I will build my church", as shortly thereafter Jesus said in Mark 8:33, "But after turning and looking at his disciples, he rebuked Peter and said, “Get behind me, Satan. You are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but on man’s.” There is no pope in Scripture, no bishops or cardinals either.

The massive building in Jerusalem -- the temple -- was destroyed and the priestly class performing all kinds of rituals was made obsolete, yet the Catholic church, in following many OT practices, has made a travesty of the simplicity and truth found in Christ.

You should pay attention to your last two quotes, as they contain truth that apparently has escaped your thinking.

Sola scriptura.
Well...there's no mention of laptops and computers in Scripture...or cars...or utensils for eating...or toilet paper...or microwaves...or sneakers...or parka's...or cell phones...or television and radio...the list goes on.

So, by your 'logic', you should pay heed to what's in Scriptures ONLY...and rid yourself of ALL modern technology.