The Biblical Basis for Catholic Distinctives

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taken, let me ask you 2 pointed questions:
(1) Can you give the date of the closure of the New Testament canon? Nope!
(2) Can you identify even one list of precisely the 66 books of the Protestant Bible prior to the Reformation? Nope!
So I guess we just have to trust the role of the Spirit guiding Catholic tradition. don't we

Let me... LOL... No.

YOU ASK TWO QUESTIONS....
YOU ANSWER THE TWO QUESTIONS...
YOU THEN DICTATE THE ONLY OPTION “for me, like you” IS TO TRUST IS CATHOLIC TRADITION.

Not ONCE does Scripture teach my only Option is to TRUST Catholic Tradition!
My Bible Teaches TRUST the Lord God Almighty.
I don’t need to ask your permission, nor did I.
I don’t agree with your fallacy style of making up answers for me.
I don’t care what YOU put YOUR TRUST in.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Man cannot absolve other men of sin. You catholics have such terribly wrong theology.
True. But rather than abandon it and start afresh with just the Bible, Catholic apologists and propagandists continue to defend the indefensible.

And then we have this Communist Pope Francis trying to promote the Globalist/Elitist agenda to destroy the world, pretending to be a Catholic instead of raising the hammer and sickle to show the world who he really is. Even Catholics are disgusted with his attacks on the Latin Mass and his support for "Wokeism".

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nobody said it wasn't a sin but I can confess directly to the high Priest, and go boldly to the throne of grace for forgiveness. Don't need an earthly priest.
According to Jesus - you DO . . .

John 20:21-23

Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent ME, so I send YOU.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Matt 16:18-19
I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

Matt. 18:15-18
"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the CHURCH. If he refuses to listen even to the CHURCH, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO ONE TOLD me which BOOKS BELONG IN MY Bibles. It is quite plain which “BOOKS” are in my Bibles, there is a handy list outline!

Get off your foolish Catholic style badgering.

I didn’t ask about your Bible. I don’t care which of the umpteen Versions any particular Catholics are TOLD to use in any given year. I don’t care what the EVER CHANGING Catholic popes dictate what Catholics are suppose to Believe. I don’t care when Catholics write and rewrite changing their Catechism Books TELLING Catholics what to believe. I don’t care about Catholic men wearing long robes, having a collection of man-made Bejeweled Crowns, Rings, Art works, Elevated, Bowed down to, commissioning Elaborate Statutes, or their parishioners Trinkets.

I don’t care about YOUR Catholics Churches historic SCANDALS, HOARDING, SECRECY and COVERUPS.
I don’t care about YOUR Catholic Counsels, YOUR SPLINTERED Roman, Eastern Orthodox, Rites, Catholic Churches.

Get it? Your endless Lambasting and Gaslighting of everything that is not Stamped Catholic is old and boring, and does nothing whatsoever to intrigue an others interest to consider a Religious Organization whose peons are armed with endless arrogant badgering techniques as a means to spark an others interest. Laughable!
TRANSLATION:
“I don’t know WHY I adhere to the Canon of Scripture that I use. I simply trutst the Protestant MEN who gave it to me.”

That’s pretty much what I thought . . .

However – It still doesn’t answer the question as to why you believe that the 7 Books that were ejected from your Protestant OT Canon, along with portions of the Books of Daniel and Esther, are “uninspired”.

Do you have any idea as to WHY??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all apparent.
No. Not interested in YOUR outside of Scripture authors, Not interested in YOUR interpretations OF Scriptures.
Ummmmm, then why don’t you give us YOUR interpretation of these verses and enlighten US?
Matt. 16:19
John 29:21-23

This should be interesting . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL....Sola Scripture was my 16th century invention?
clip_image001.gif

Don’t be so ridiculous and obtuse.
I didn’t invent Trusting Scripture as a means for Doctrine, Reproof, Correction, Instruction, Validation and Verification.

Are these passages missing from your Bible?

2 Tim 3:[16] All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

John 5:
39] Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

Acts 17:
[11] These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Worry concerning you...laughable.
Don’t you worry, wait, hope for a thank you .... very doubtful!
Ummmm, that’s NOT what your 16th century Protestant invention of Sola Scriptura teaches.
Sola Scripture (Scripture ALONE) teaches that Scripture ALONE is our SOLE Authority.

So – you need to takes all of the verses that you resented about Authority and efficacy of Scripture and combine it with what the Scriptures themselves say about the authority of the CHYRCH.

According to Scripture, when it comes to Authority – there is NO such thing as “Sola” . . .

2 Thess 2:15
"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a LETTER from us."

I will give you the keys to the kingdom of heaven. WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven; and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

"If your brother sins (against you), go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have won over your brother.
If he does not listen, take one or two others along with you, so that 'every fact may be established on the testimony of two or three witnesses.'
If he refuses to listen to them, tell the church. If he refuses to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a Gentile or a tax collector.
Amen, I say to you, WHATEVER YOU BIND on earth shall be bound in heaven, and WHATEVER YOU LOOSE on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

John 16:12-15
“I have much more to tell you, but you cannot bear it now.
But when he comes, the Spirit of truth, he will guide you to ALL truth. He will not speak on his own, but he will speak what he hears, and will declare to YOU the things that are coming.
He will glorify me, because he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.
Everything that the Father has is MINE; for this reason I told you that he will TAKE from what is MINE and declare it to YOU.

John 20:21-23
Jesus said to them again, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent ME, so I send YOU.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins YOU FORGIVE are forgiven them, and whose sins YOU RETAIN are retained.”

Luke 10:16
Whoever listens to YOU listens to ME. Whoever rejects YOU rejects ME. And whoever rejects ME rejects the ONE who sent ME."

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. "hamartia" was falsely inserted into the text to support the false teaching of the Catholic church. The correct word is "paraptoma" = faults.

WRONG

Go back and read Posts 52 & 731, where I illustrated from Scripture not only that ALL wrongdoing is sin - but that Janes was talking about confessing our faults/sins TO each other that were committed AGAINST each other.

Paul
, on the other hand, points out that HE forgave thgose sins as well when he was among them - and he did it in the PERSON (Prosopone) of Christ Himself..
In any event there is NO biblical basis for any Catholic distinctives. But there is a Babylonian basis for sure. Read The Two Babylons by Alexander Hislop and learn a few lessons.
Gee - where have YOU been??
NO serious student of Scripture OR history takes Alexander Hidslop seriously anymore.

His scholck epic, The Two Babylons has been debunked time and again.
If you'd like to have a point-by-point debate on his drivel - I'd be MORE than happy to expose him and you.

As I have pointed out several times on this forum - one of his staunchest adherents, Ralph Woodrow was so obsessed with Hislop that he wrote his own book called "Babylon Mystery Religion". HOWEVER - when doing some actual research for a follow-up book, he discovered to his horror that his hero Hislop simply MADE UP all of his nonsense.

Woodrow quickly pulled his book from print and published a work debunking Hislop called "The Babylon Connection?"
He now runs a website APOLOGIZING for his first book and trying to make sure that people know about Hislop's garbage.

Apparently - YOU didn't get the memo . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
TRANSLATION:
“I don’t know WHY I adhere to the Canon of Scripture that I use. I simply trutst the Protestant MEN who gave it to me.”

That’s pretty much what I thought . . .

Still erroneously thinking your deceptive underhandedness is unnoticed. :p

7 Books that were ejected from your Protestant OT Canon...

Since you THINK YOURSELF all-knowing...:p...What books HAVE YOU DECIDED I do not have access to IN MY Bibles?

Carry on pseudo psychic....

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummmm, that’s NOT what your 16th century Protestant invention of Sola Scriptura teaches.
Sola Scripture (Scripture ALONE) teaches that Scripture ALONE is our SOLE Authority.

As much as you attempt to deceptively exalt yourself....
YOU are not my AUTHORITY on ANYTHING!

Scripture IS THE WRITTEN Word Approved BY God.
Scripture ALONE is my AUTHORITY, FOR KNOWLEDGE of Gods Word.
Scripture ALONE is my AUTHORITY, TO Trust for Validity and Verification...
FOR that which OTHERS Speak, Teach and Claim IS Scriptural KNOWLEDGE....
(Including all your narcissistic drool.)

In ADDITION to THAT ^, I accepted the Lords OFFERING, FOR HIM personally to GIVE ME HIS Spiritual UNDERSTANDING OF Gods APPROVED Written KNOWLEDGE, For MY Benefit, which HAS NOTHING whatsoever to DO with “OTHER men”.

If that IS NOT WHAT YOU Believe, So what?
If that IS NOT WHAT YOU Have, So what?
Exercise your OWN Freewill and live with your OWN decisions. IDC!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Stand firm and hold fast to the Traditions you were taught, whether by an ORAL STATEMENT or by a LETTER from us."

VAGUE...what specific TRADITIONS are you whining about?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Still erroneously thinking your deceptive underhandedness is unnoticed. :p

Since you THINK YOURSELF all-knowing...:p...What books HAVE YOU DECIDED I do not have access to IN MY Bibles?

Carry on pseudo psychic....
I told you - the 7 Deuterocaonical Books, along with portions of the Books of Daniel and Esther. They include:
Tobit
Judith
Baruch
Sirach
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
Wisdom

If you study from virtusally ANY Protestant translation - these Books are missing.
Do you know WHY you reject them as inspoired?
WHO told you they were uninspired?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VAGUE...what specific TRADITIONS are you whining about?
It's only "vague" to a person who has dedicated his life to rejecting Sacred Tradition.

This includes ALL Church teacing that was passed on orally.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Nothing new or earth shattering or secret!

* The APOSTLES were given Authority to TEACH men Gods WORD and Gods PRECEPTS.

* A RECORD of EVERY individual beliefs and deeds ON Earth, SHALL ALSO be that individuals RECORD IN Heaven.

* The APOSTLES are held ACCOUNTABLE for WHAT they TAUGHT men ON Earth.

And HOW HANDY we have the KNOWLEDGE of the Teaching of the Authorized Apostles IN WRITTEN SCRIPTURE!

And HOW HANDY we have BEEN WARNED, many men will be appointed and step INTO the Apostles positions, and BE CORRUPT Teachers.

And HOW HANDY we have the WRITTEN KNOWLEDGE IN Scriptures, to VERIFY, “IF” a Teacher is Upstanding or Corrupt.

It is amazing, that you copy and paste that Passage Repeatedly, AS IF, it is a “carte blanch” authorization for your “succession” of appointed popes and priests. It isn’t.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I told you - the 7 Deuterocaonical Books, along with portions of the Books of Daniel and Esther. They include:
Tobit
Judith
Baruch
Sirach
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees
Wisdom

Uh oh, Your pseudo psychic abilities have Failed you.
My Bible has all of those Books!

Translation....You make false claims.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Much of the fundamentalist screed directed against Catholics here consists of mindless unbiblical generalizations. .

Real Christians are not interested in "the Cult of the Virgin", or what it teaches.
You are.

Real Christians want to talk about Jesus, Mary, Water, and the Cookie.

Catholics want to rant about Catholicism.

Real Christians are not interested in Catholicism.. Its Only the Catholics who are obsessively devoted to being interested in what their : "cult of the Virgin" teaches.

Listen...

Jesus is not a Catholic.
Paul is not a Catholic.
Mary is not a Catholic, she is just abused by Catholics as being one.
Peter is not a Catholic.
There are no Catholics in Heaven......there is only God, The host of Heaven, Jesus, and the Born Again.

Here is more about the "cult of the Virgin"....(Catholic Church)

"""""A mother figure is a central object of worship in several religions (for example, images of the Virgin and Child call to mind Egyptian representations of Isis nursing her son Horus). The history of the Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus Christ, depends on the texts of the Gospels. Embellishments to her LEGEND seem to have taken form in the fifth century in Syria. (Ephesus 4-5ad)
Catholic's teachs that The life of the mother of Christ was exceptional: she was born free of original sin , through the Immaculate Conception; she was taken to heaven after her death ; and, just as Saint Thomas doubted Christ’s Resurrection, so he doubted Mary’s Assumption. Catholic Theologians established a parallel between Christ’s Passion and the Virgin’s compassion: while he suffered physically on the cross, she was crucified in spirit. The Council of Ephesus in 431 sanctioned the cult of the Virgin as Mother of God; the dissemination of images of the Virgin and Child, which came to embody Catholic church doctrine"""

""""" The twelfth and thirteenth centuries saw an extraordinary growth of the cult of the Virgin in western Europe, in part inspired by the writings of theologians such as Saint Bernard of Clairvaux (1090–1153), who identified her as the bride of the Song of Songs in the Old Testament. The Virgin was worshipped by Catholics as the Bride of Christ, Personification of the Church, Queen of Heaven, and Intercessor for the salvation of humankind. This movement found its grandest expression in the French cathedrals, which are often dedicated to “Our Lady,” and many cities, such as Siena, placed themselves under her protection.""""""
-
mary pope.jpg

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As much as you attempt to deceptively exalt yourself....
YOU are not my AUTHORITY on ANYTHING!

Scripture IS THE WRITTEN Word Approved BY God.
Scripture ALONE is my AUTHORITY, FOR KNOWLEDGE of Gods Word.
Scripture ALONE is my AUTHORITY, TO Trust for Validity and Verification...

FOR that which OTHERS Speak, Teach and Claim IS Scriptural KNOWLEDGE....
(Including all your narcissistic drool.)
Ummmm - can you prove your 2 comments above in RED - FROM Scripture? Because - so far, you haven't been able to.

While you're at it - can you also show where the bible teaches the false Protestant doctrine of Perspecuity - the idea that Scripture ibasically interprets itself.

Chapter and Verse, please.
In ADDITION to THAT ^, I accepted the Lords OFFERING, FOR HIM personally to GIVE ME HIS Spiritual UNDERSTANDING OF Gods APPROVED Written KNOWLEDGE, For MY Benefit, which HAS NOTHING whatsoever to DO with “OTHER men”.

If that IS NOT WHAT YOU Believe, So what?
If that IS NOT WHAT YOU Have, So what?
Exercise your OWN Freewill and live with your OWN decisions. IDC!
And its precisely this renegade view of Scripture than spawned the tens of thousands of perpetually-splintering Protestant sects that ALL teach different doctrines because the founders oe each sect refused to see ANY other vew than his own.

Nice
work . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's only "vague" to a person who has dedicated his life to rejecting Sacred Tradition.

Yep....still vague....”you have not identified the Traditions”....
Yep....still corrupt....”you making claims I did not make”.
Yep....still deceptive.