the blood?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lev_17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

in this verse as far as i can find is the first place where blood atonement and soul are mention in the same sentence.

thing is, why is it the blood that is the acceptable atonement? the flesh isn't being saved the soul is.

a question concerning Lev_17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood:

for it sounds similar to: Proverbs 14:30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.

Yet in lexicon version the flesh is the body?

Proverbs 14:30 Lexicon: A tranquil heart is life to the body, But passion is rottenness to the bones.

Reactions: Amazed@grace

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
a question concerning Lev_17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood:

for it sounds similar to: Proverbs 14:30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.

Yet in lexicon version the flesh is the body?

Proverbs 14:30 Lexicon: A tranquil heart is life to the body, But passion is rottenness to the bones.

nice point, here's three versions that pretty much agree
kjv
30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.
jps
30 A tranquil heart is the life of the flesh; but envy is the rottenness of the bones.
darby
30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh; but envy the rottenness of the bones.

but one might take into consideration what the subject matter is and who is doing the talking.

proverbs can be consider true, but the the truth of the observations of Solomon

whereas Leviticus is what the Lord God Himself said. the weights are different. what the Almighty says supersede all else, and Solomon's words are based on what the Lord God had already said long before he wrote proverbs. therefore when you read Solomon, you should know what God said already.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
nice point, here's three versions that pretty much agree
kjv
30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones.
jps
30 A tranquil heart is the life of the flesh; but envy is the rottenness of the bones.
darby
30 A sound heart is the life of the flesh; but envy the rottenness of the bones.

but one might take into consideration what the subject matter is and who is doing the talking.

proverbs can be consider true, but the the truth of the observations of Solomon

whereas Leviticus is what the Lord God Himself said. the weights are different. what the Almighty says supersede all else, and Solomon's words are based on what the Lord God had already said long before he wrote proverbs. therefore when you read Solomon, you should know what God said already.

Yes but considering God has not given the spirit of fear but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. that soundness of heart, that soundness of mind being of Christ who said where His Spirit is, there is Life. isn’t a sound mind “the mind of Christ” The life of the body? He who gave His Life, Himself for the Life of the body? Colossians 3:3-4 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. [4] When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
what version is that?

KJV:
Ecc 3:19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them: as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that a man hath no preeminence above a beast: for all is vanity.

catholic online bible:

19 For the fate of human and the fate of animal is the same: as the one dies, so the other dies; both have the selfsame breath. Human is in no way better off than animal -- since all is futile.

JPS:
Ecc 3:19 For that which befalleth the sons of men befalleth beasts; even one thing befalleth them; as the one dieth, so dieth the other; yea, they have all one breath; so that man hath no pre-eminence above a beast; for all is vanity.

no mention of "spirit" here, your text wouldn't be of a paraphrased bible would it?

notice much of the meaning is changed, even the Jewish translation (JPS) disagrees with your quote of the text.

paraphrased bibles are not translation per say they are a edited version of a translation usually to the editor's views of what the editor thinks it ought to say. again if that's what you quoted.

It was quoted from the New World Translation. Here was the original word and how it is translated in the King James version of the Bible:
Xpn Nephesh (neh'-fesh); Noun Feminine, Strong #: 5315

1. soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
    1. that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man
    2. living being
    3. living being (with life in the blood)
    4. the man himself, self, person or individual
    5. seat of the appetites
    6. seat of emotions and passions
    7. activity of mind
      1. dubious
    8. activity of the will
      1. dubious
    9. activity of the character
      1. dubious
KJV Word Usage and Count
soul 475
life 117
person 29
mind 15
heart 15
creature 9
body 8
himself 8
yourselves 6
dead 5
will 4
desire 4
man 3
themselves 3
any 3
appetite 2
miscellaneous 47

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in scripture does it say the living soul, by God's breath, left Adam and Eve after the fall?
read it 2 + 2 = 4
again this isn't kindergarten is it?

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Joh_20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

en 2:16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

no mincing of words there is there, that day, according to the Word of God?

Gen 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
Gen 3:18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
Gen 3:19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

Adam died of the life of:

Luk 3:38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

and that which is of God remains with God and does not return to the ground because what is of God is not of the ground.

and the presumption of son of God is true affirmed by Paul:
1Co_15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam a quickening spirit.

therefore the notion of "second Adam", and the differences mentioned is because the first lost what the second came into the world to restore.

hence when one who is lost is saved they receive the Life of Christ via born of the Holy Spirit, which remains with God, the soul is saved because of the Presence of God that quikeneth, and the rest returns to the ground.

Last edited:

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes but considering God has not given the spirit of fear but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. that soundness of heart, that soundness of mind being of Christ who said where His Spirit is, there is Life. isn’t a sound mind “the mind of Christ” The life of the body? He who gave His Life, Himself for the Life of the body? Colossians 3:3-4 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. [4] When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

that would be another whole subject wouldn't it?

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was quoted from the New World Translation. Here was the original word and how it is translated in the King James version of the Bible:
Xpn Nephesh (neh'-fesh); Noun Feminine, Strong #: 5315

1. soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
    1. that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of man
    2. living being
    3. living being (with life in the blood)
    4. the man himself, self, person or individual
    5. seat of the appetites
    6. seat of emotions and passions
    7. activity of mind
      1. dubious
    8. activity of the will
      1. dubious
    9. activity of the character
      1. dubious
KJV Word Usage and Count
soul 475
life 117
person 29
mind 15
heart 15
creature 9
body 8
himself 8
yourselves 6
dead 5
will 4
desire 4
man 3
themselves 3
any 3
appetite 2
miscellaneous 47

strong is an American who uses English but the translators of KJV were mostly English translating into their own language. if you and strong think to know English more than 20 to 40 British , translators commissioned by King James then that would be delusional.

the exhaustive OED gives a full history of the English language, as in what the words meant in 1600's and examples or proofs thereof. that's where to go with that, more often then not you will see why they chose the word they chose over your choices.

also, there's the brown-driver-briggs Hebrew and English lexicon. i know most see strong as the last word on such subjects, but its the English that have the last word on their own language. Americans change how they use English words so often most popular American dictionaries up date every year. but by using the OED i mentioned and KJV the meanings remain the same.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider this:

Jesus did shed his natural blood, but was that the source of Life for you and for me? Within Jesus was real Life. Perhaps better said: Jesus was/is real Life.

Jesus yielded up the Ghost or he shed the Spirit, the Spirit that was to become available to whosoever will, no?

Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. ” Matt 27:50

The Ghost is the Holy Ghost or Holy Spirit for Jesus. He was preparing to share with whosoever will the Spirit within him by shedding it. This is the Life promised to us and/or for us:

”Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6

The natural blood as is the giver of natural life. The spirit of man is the corrupted spirit, which was first corrupted in the Garden of Eden. That spirit provides only natural, temporal or carnal life. That spirit cannot give the Life which Jesus is:

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
John 14:6

What was it Zechariah wrote?

"Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts."
Zech 4:6

The blood we are to drink [John 6:53] is/was not the natural blood of Jesus consisting of approximately 10 pints inherited from his carnal mother, Mary. That blood was spilled and lost in natural death. The Life giving blood he spilled or shed or spread was the Spirit, the Holy Spirit when he yielded up the Ghost (Spirit).

Well, white is a good color in scripture, while red is the color of natural blood. I do not believe that emphasis is ever put on the color of the blood of Jesus, which we are to drink as being red. I remember having read or heard somewhere that His blood, spiritually was white. I am certain I still have the reference somewhere, but cannot recall where at the moment.

It is not the red blood of the man who died on the cross 2,000 years ago that is the Life we need. That red blood was the natural blood of a natural man and it probably all spilled out on the ground.

The source of Life for us, spiritually speaking, is the Spirit, which is to quicken us. Is it really white? Probably not in the sense that a sheet of paper is white, but rather in the sense that it is pure and spotless without any detracting or negative parts. This is what God is. This would, of course, be what His Spirit is. When the book of Revelation speaks of being clothed in white raiment, it is not speaking of material natural clothing made from cloth. Is it even speaking of a natural color? White from what I remember of my high school physics is the sum of all the colors mixed together. Wouldn't that be the "very good" of Gen 1:31?

Rev 7:14 And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
strong is an American who uses English but the translators of KJV were mostly English translating into their own language. if you and strong think to know English more than 20 to 40 British , translators commissioned by King James then that would be delusional.

the exhaustive OED gives a full history of the English language, as in what the words meant in 1600's and examples or proofs thereof. that's where to go with that, more often then not you will see why they chose the word they chose over your choices.

also, there's the brown-driver-briggs Hebrew and English lexicon. i know most see strong as the last word on such subjects, but its the English that have the last word on their own language. Americans change how they use English words so often most popular American dictionaries up date every year. but by using the OED i mentioned and KJV the meanings remain the same.

Even at that D, the fact is that living beings are souls, it is nothing separate, the soul that is animated by the breath of life, is alive, when the spirit leaves, then the soul is dead. However that is not the end, as Jehovah promises to bring all in hell back to life Rev 20:13