the blood?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lev_17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

in this verse as far as i can find is the first place where blood atonement and soul are mention in the same sentence.

thing is, why is it the blood that is the acceptable atonement? the flesh isn't being saved the soul is.

Reactions: Amazed@grace

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lev_17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.

in this verse as far as i can find is the first place where blood atonement and soul are mention in the same sentence.

thing is, why is it the blood that is the acceptable atonement? the flesh isn't being saved the soul is.

Blood is a fascinating concept in scripture.

In other words, you are giving life for life.

It is the blood that contains the spirit/life/soul of a person, or animal. That is why it is used in spiritual rituals, Godly and satanic, to bring about a certain desired outcome.

It is also believed to be why demonic creatures in folklore, like vampires and other unholy, soul-less, beasts, must ingest blood to survive. Their physical body cannot be sustained by normal food nutrients. They must ingest, take-in, the spiritual life essence that is found in blood in order to keep their physicality alive.

Blood is very powerful. That is where we get the term blood oath. And blood brother. And why the devil requires you sign your name in your blood in order to sell him your soul.

Yes, some of this stuff is considered fictional, but the concept is sound and has been around since time immemorial.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 9:4-6 NKJV — “But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. “Surely for your lifeblood I will demand a reckoning; from the hand of every beast I will require it, and from the hand of man. From the hand of every man’s brother I will require the life of man. “Whoever sheds man’s blood,
By man his blood shall be shed;
For in the image of God
He made man.

The word "life" in verse 6 is the Hebrew word for "soul" (nephesh)....there is more info in the context around those two verses...which includes an idea of atonement....life (soul) for life.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blood is a fascinating concept in scripture.

In other words, you are giving life for life.

It is the blood that contains the spirit/life/soul of a person, or animal. That is why it is used in spiritual rituals, Godly and satanic, to bring about a certain desired outcome.

It is also believed to be why demonic creatures in folklore, like vampires and other unholy, soul-less, beasts, must ingest blood to survive. Their physical body cannot be sustained by normal food nutrients. They must ingest, take-in, the spiritual life essence that is found in blood in order to keep their physicality alive.

Blood is very powerful. That is where we get the term blood oath. And blood brother. And why the devil requires you sign your name in your blood in order to sell him your soul.

Yes, some of this stuff is considered fictional, but the concept is sound and has been around since time immemorial.

i understand what you mean but, scriptures says, the blood is the life of the flesh, that atones for the soul, its not the soul nor spirit. and Hollywood fantasies don't account for anything. also it wood seem that the resurrected Jesus' body had no blood therein.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Blood IS the life of a man. A man IS flesh (form) and Bone (upholds the form) and Blood (Life)
The Soul IS the Breath of Life from God.
Correct...the Flesh is not saved.
God " requires ' the Life of a man.
The Life of a man, can not Enter Gods Kingdom. (It's corrupt).
A man WHOSE soul IS Saved, shall be risen up in a NEW BODY, not a Saved body, a NEW (uncorrupted, pure Holy Body).

The Lord has offered, us an opportunity to be "crucified with Chirst"... and Live IN His risen body....until the day our own flesh completes it cycle of an Earthly physical death.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 9:4-6 NKJV — “But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood. “Surely for your lifeblood I will demand a reckoning; from the hand of every beast I will require it, and from the hand of man. From the hand of every man’s brother I will require the life of man. “Whoever sheds man’s blood,
By man his blood shall be shed;
For in the image of God
He made man.

The word "life" in verse 6 is the Hebrew word for "soul" (nephesh)....there is more info in the context around those two verses...which includes an idea of atonement....life (soul) for life.

well there seems to be a couple of things involved here:

what life? the life Adam and Eve had in the garden when God made them is the life they died from and Jesus restored to the faithful. guys like Hitler were not in God's likeness or image. Jesus says God is a spirit therefore what is the image and likeness of a Spirit like the Lord God. so sons of man in the image of man are what the sons of man are.

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
(man was made in God's image exactly what God says to Noah but later)
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Gen 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

so in the image and likeness of man is the son of man, but (Luk 3:38) "Adam, which was the son of God." because of God did Adam receive the life had when made. thing is after the tree incident they died of that life, and was retained to the life of the flesh because they were also flesh, a dust to dust life that the animals already had, though we remain souls, though in God's eye not really living souls.

but the Life Jesus brought to us is of God, being born of the Holy Spirit or as Jesus says born again, the Life that is to be lived and this life of the flesh to be disregarded for that Life of Christ.

though a life for a life is clever. the Life Jesus brought, is not of the flesh. so why is it the blood is required for the atonement for your soul. and no other blood but the blood of Christ will do. why couldn't God just show up and grab every one He wants and call it a day without His Son bleeding out on the cross?

you or i didn't bleed out for the sake of our souls, Jesus did.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been trying to think of a simple response....but struggling to simplify because man's blood, and the Son of Man's blood have a lot of common touchpoints.

I don't have the understanding to know exactly why He did things this way, but it seems clear the the Bible teaches us the life of a human soul is somehow intimately connected to the blood. Part of what Jesus did for us, is satisfy God's justice....His Judgement.

Genesis 2:16-17 NKJV — And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; “but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

That was a judgement from God. Justice is a fundamental foundation of His righteous, loving rule over His creation. I think one reason His last action He will take before He makes the new heavens and earth is the great Judgement in Revelation 20. When He is done, He will restore, fix, EVERY injustice...every single injustice created by Lucifer's rebellion, Adam's rebellion, the rebellion of the Watchers (Genesis 6), and the rebellion of the sons of God He placed over the nations in Genesis 11. Jesus did not become a man, JUST for the sake of redeeming man and preparing us for the Father's presence again. He did that, but there is much more He came to do. Redeeming all of creation from every stain of sin, from Lucifer's original sin, Adam's, and the sons of God who fell later.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 3:8 NKJV — He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

Every last "work" of the adversary, every pollution of God's "very good" creation will be judged and restored before He is done.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
but, back to man's redemption. God's zjudgement was that the soul that sins must die. Life for life, blood for blood.. and, since Adam's sin changed his DNA, everyone born after him was born dead....there was no life in us to exchange for our debt to God's judgement against sin, according to the demands of Justice. We were lost without remedy...except for one thing....the promised "seed of the woman"....a redeemer Who had life in His blood, and Who was willing to shed it...to pay our just debt in God's Court.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus willingly agreed to die, a perfect sacrifice to satisfy God's demand for Justice.

There is ONE thing that can triumph over Justice. And that is mercy.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 2:13 NKJV — For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus willingly shed His perfect blood to answer God's demand for Justice against sin, and His mercy applied that payment to our sins, if we will just believe on His Son.

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well

you or i didn't bleed out for the sake of our souls, Jesus did.

If we bled out, gave our lives for our sin, it still could not have redeemed us. It had no spiritual life in it. After the fall of mankind, imperfect human blood could no longer pay the price Justice demanded.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Dp, soul is life sir. Many people think when the see the word soul that it means something else. All live beings are souls, including animals.

Reactions: Daniel Veler

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is more to a soul than just "life". I believe the Bible pretty clearly reveals the soul is the mind, the will, and emotions.

Spirit is what we are...the fundamental essence of our being.

Soul is WHO we are, individual and unique.

The body, is just a temporary tent spirit and soul live in before we die.
We are spirits that possess souls tied to a meat sack that is still a mess...for now :)

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Blood IS the life of a man. A man IS flesh (form) and Bone (upholds the form) and Blood (Life)
A man WHOSE soul IS Saved, shall be risen up in a NEW BODY, not a Saved body, a NEW (uncorrupted, pure Holy Body).

The Lord has offered, us an opportunity to be "crucified with Chirst"... and Live IN His risen body....until the day our own flesh completes it cycle of an Earthly physical death.

the blood is the life of the flesh, not the man. a blood transfusion should prove that to you. or you'd have two or more persons in the same body. that's common sense and knowledge. the soul is what to be saved and its condemned already, without any intervention of the Lord. hence dead in the eyes of the Lord God because the sons of men are not what God originally made. the soul became living because of the breath of God, but, the "living soul" died that day in the garden. because the soul is God's place in the world, of which He isn't present in, unless now a days one is born again:

Joh_1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

hence the restoration of God's Presence in the earth within man. God is in Heaven so where is Heaven, Jesus says:

Luk_17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

therefore the Life restored that is of God.

when you leave the world you are dead to the world but your soul still exists correct? when A&E ate of the tree they died to heaven but they still had the life of the flesh. hence the soul without the Presence of God.

also i don't see you hanging on some cross bleeding out for the sake of your soul, so you're going to have to explain what you understand by crucified with Christ.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been trying to think of a simple response....but struggling to simplify because man's blood, and the Son of Man's blood have a lot of common touchpoints.

I don't have the understanding to know exactly why He did things this way, but it seems clear the the Bible teaches us the life of a human soul is somehow intimately connected to the blood. Part of what Jesus did for us, is satisfy God's justice....His Judgement.

Genesis 2:16-17 NKJV — And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; “but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

That was a judgement from God. Justice is a fundamental foundation of His righteous, loving rule over His creation. I think one reason His last action He will take before He makes the new heavens and earth is the great Judgement in Revelation 20. When He is done, He will restore, fix, EVERY injustice...every single injustice created by Lucifer's rebellion, Adam's rebellion, the rebellion of the Watchers (Genesis 6), and the rebellion of the sons of God He placed over the nations in Genesis 11. Jesus did not become a man, JUST for the sake of redeeming man and preparing us for the Father's presence again. He did that, but there is much more He came to do. Redeeming all of creation from every stain of sin, from Lucifer's original sin, Adam's, and the sons of God who fell later.

well when you're talking judgement and whos judgement, there is man's and there is God's. you are correct about Jesus carrying out God's Judgement, which is by the way Life. when Jesus was amongst the Israelites He restored life according to His Father in every case and He restored the Life that is a son of God in the son of man in the earth. it took the Son of God to do that, because the Life that is a son of God is from Heaven. hence again, Jesus executed God His Father's Judgement in the earth.

now man's judgement is death, because the result of it is death. it was God's Judgement instruction commandment to not eat of the tree and live, but Adam and Eve went by there own judgement of what is good and evil for them. thing is God (Creator and Judge) is the judge of what is good and evil for His creation and the creatures therein, no exceptions. the serpent persuaded Eve otherwise.

and yes mercy triumphs over judgement because God's Judgement is Mercy to the sons of man who are repentant believers.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Dp, soul is life sir. Many people think when the see the word soul that it means something else. All live beings are souls, including animals.
where in scripture does it say that at?

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm remembering something epi said a while back about how he believed a more accurate translation of life for a life was: life in a life.