The Body of Christ vs. The Bride of Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Moderators: OFF TOPIC: But please consider.

Every Christian belief system, pseudo Christian belief system, false Christian belief system and any other belief system for that matter, is fair game for scrutinizing with the Word of God. We should not protect any belief system and give them special privileges!! This is what the Muslims try to do. They accuse critical thought about their religion as being insulting to their members and to Allah.

Jesus and Paul and the Apostles allowed critical thought, no matter how insulting. I agree that we should not directly insult people but if analysis of religions insults a person, that is no reason to shut down freedom of expression.

You would have to shut down almost every thread just after it started.

Criticizing JW, Mormon, Catholic, or any other religion is not bashing individuals. This is crazy thinking and as moderators I think you should nip this in the bud or at least add something to your Web Site statement.

Thanks,
Axehead

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JimParker said:
Please explain to me how identifying any poster's insulting comments toward the RCC as Catholic-bashing is "ad hominem."

Catholic-bashing is an ad hominem insult to every Catholic.

I assume, blanket insults of Catholics is not considered acceptable in this forum. Am I wrong?

One person can insult Catholics at will but a Catholic can't call him on it? Is that correct or am I missing something?

I ask because I don't get it.
I apologize if I missed previous ad-hominem remarks. I will attempt to be more methodical in the reviewing of posts.

Axehead said:
Moderators: OFF TOPIC: But please consider.

Every Christian belief system, pseudo Christian belief system, false Christian belief system and any other belief system for that matter, is fair game for scrutinizing with the Word of God. We should not protect any belief system and give them special privileges!! This is what the Muslims try to do. They accuse critical thought about their religion as being insulting to their members and to Allah.

Jesus and Paul and the Apostles allowed critical thought, no matter how insulting. I agree that we should not directly insult people but if analysis of religions insults a person, that is no reason to shut down freedom of expression.

You would have to shut down almost every thread just after it started.

Criticizing JW, Mormon, Catholic, or any other religion is not bashing individuals. This is crazy thinking and as moderators I think you should nip this in the bud or at least add something to your Web Site statement.

Thanks,
Axehead
This has been noted and thank you.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
justaname said:
I apologize if I missed previous ad-hominem remarks. I will attempt to be more methodical in the reviewing of posts.

This has been noted and thank you.
Thanks for the reply, justaname.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
4. Metaphors for the Church. To help us understand the nature of the church, Scripture uses a wide range of metaphors and images to describe to us what the church is like. There are several family images—for example, Paul views the church as a family when he tells Timothy to act as if all the church members were members of a larger family: “Do not rebuke an older man but exhort him as you would a father; treat younger men like brothers, older women like mothers, younger women like sisters, in all purity” (1 Tim. 5:1–2). God is our heavenly Father (Eph. 3:14), and we are his sons and daughters, for God says to us, “I will be a father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty” (2 Cor. 6:18). We are therefore brothers and sisters with each other in God’s family (Matt. 12:49–50; 1 John 3:14–18). A somewhat different family metaphor is seen when Paul refers to the church as the bride of Christ. He says that the relationship between a husband and wife “refers to Christ and the church” (Eph. 5:32), and he says that he brought about the engagement between Christ and the church at Corinth and that it resembles an engagement between a bride and her husband-to-be: “I betrothed you to one husband, that to Christ I might present you as a pure virgin” (2 Cor. 11:2 nasb)—here Paul is looking forward to the time of Christ’s return as the time when the church will be presented to him as his bride.
In other metaphors Scripture compares the church to branches on a vine (John 15:5), an olive tree (Rom. 11:17–24), a field of crops (1 Cor. 3:6–9), a building (1 Cor. 3:9), and a harvest (Matt. 13:1–30; John 4:35). The church is also viewed as a new temple not built with literal stones but built with Christian people who are “living stones” (1 Peter 2:5) built up on the “cornerstone” who is Christ Jesus (1 Peter 2:4–8). Yet the church is not only a new temple for worship of God; it is also a new group of priests a “holy priesthood” that can offer “spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God” (1 Pet. 2:5). We are also viewed as God’s house: “And we are his house” (Heb. 3:6), with Jesus Christ himself viewed as the “builder” of the house (Heb. 3:3). The church is also viewed as “the pillar and bulwark of the truth” (1 Tim. 3:15).
Finally, another familiar metaphor views the church as the body of Christ (1 Cor. 12:12–27). We should recognize that Paul in fact uses two different metaphors of the human body when he speaks of the church. In 1 Corinthians 12 the whole body is taken as a metaphor for the church, because Paul speaks of the “ear” and the “eye” and the “sense of smell” (1 Cor. 12:16–17). In this metaphor, Christ is not viewed as the head joined to the body, because the individual members are themselves the individual parts of the head. Christ is in this metaphor the Lord who is “outside” of that body that represents the church and is the one whom the church serves and worships.
But in Ephesians 1:22–23; 4:15–16, and in Colossians 2:19, Paul uses a different body metaphor to refer to the church. In these passages Paul says that Christ is the head and the church is like the rest of the body, as distinguished from the head: “We are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and knit together by every joint with which it is supplied, when each part is working properly, makes bodily growth and upbuilds itself in love” (Eph. 4:15–16). We should not confuse these two metaphors in 1 Corinthians 12 and Ephesians 4, but keep them distinct.
The wide range of metaphors used for the church in the New Testament should remind us not to focus exclusively on any one. For example, while it is true that the church is the body of Christ, we must remember that this is only one metaphor among many. If we focus exclusively on that metaphor we will be likely to forget that Christ is our Lord reigning in heaven as well as the one who dwells among us. Certainly we should not agree to the Roman Catholic view that the church is the “continuing incarnation” of the Son of God on earth today. The church is not the Son of God in the flesh, for Christ rose in his human body, he ascended in his human body into heaven, and he now reigns as the incarnate Christ in heaven, one who is clearly distinct from the church here on earth.
Each of the metaphors used for the church can help us to appreciate more of the richness of privilege that God has given us by incorporating us into the church. The fact that the church is like a family should increase our love and fellowship with one another. The thought that the church is like the bride of Christ should stimulate us to strive for greater purity and holiness, and also greater love for Christ and submission to him. The image of the church as branches in a vine should cause us to rest in him more fully. The idea of an agricultural crop should encourage us to continue growing in the Christian life and obtaining for ourselves and others the proper spiritual nutrients to grow. The picture of the church as God’s new temple should increase our awareness of God’s very presence dwelling in our midst as we meet. The concept of the church as a priesthood should help us to see more clearly the delight God has in the sacrifices of praise and good deeds that we offer to him (see Heb. 13:15–16). The metaphor of the church as the body of Christ should increase our interdependence on one another and our appreciation of the diversity of gifts within the body. Many other applications could be drawn from these and other metaphors for the church listed in Scripture.

[SIZE=12pt] Grudem, W. A. (2004). Systematic theology: an introduction to biblical doctrine (pp. 858–859). Leicester, England; Grand Rapids, MI: Inter-Varsity Press; Zondervan Pub. House.[/SIZE]

It is not an either or thing. These are only metaphors. A pertinent quote from the above quote: The wide range of metaphors used for the church in the New Testament should remind us not to focus exclusively on any one.