The Book of Jubilees

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suspect I am once again bringing up the rears as I had never heard of this book.

An email from the Israel Bible Center came with this. They , of course want me to take a course.

Noah’s Unknown Prayer​
By Prof. Pinchas Shir​
Through the Book of Jubilees, we learn of Noah's prayer as he intercedes on behalf of his children, seeking God's protection against the dark forces seeking to harm them. This extraordinary passage provides vital insight into ancient Jewish beliefs about the world beyond our earthly realm.

Discover the captivating relationship between demons, evil spirits, the watchers, and Satan, as ancient Jewish beliefs come to life. And, what is more important, learn how did Noah's prayer impact the spiritual realm?

Noah’s Prayer Against Demons​

By Pinchas Shir

September 21, 2021
30.1K 145

This excerpt is from the Book of Jubilees, a second-century BCE Jewish work. Though this book was never considered canonical, some have called it "Little Genesis" because it retells many of the stories from Genesis, including interpretive commentary and additional details. The value of Jubilees is the insight into the ancient traditions the book preserves, giving us a window into certain Jewish beliefs before the New Testament was written. The following passage, which describes Noah interceding for his children, is remarkable because it contains several terms related to the unseen spiritual realm. In this single text, the author mentions demons, evil spirits, the watchers, the chief of spirits called Mastema, and Satan. How they are all related is unclear at times, but this extraordinary passage shows how ancient Jews perceived the world beyond our own earthly realm.

1 In the third week of that jubilee the polluted demons began to lead astray the children of Noah’s sons and to lead them to folly and to destroy them. 2 And the sons of Noah came to Noah, their father, and they told him about the demons who were leading astray and blinding and killing his grandchildren. 3 And he prayed before the LORD his God and he said, “God of the spirits which are in all flesh, who has acted mercifully with me and saved me and my sons from the water of the Flood and did not let me perish as you did the children of perdition, because Great was your grace upon me, and great was your mercy upon my soul. Let your grace be lifted up upon my sons, and do not let the evil spirits rule over them, lest they destroy them from the earth. But bless me and my sons. And let us grow and increase and fill the earth. 5 And you know that which your Watchers (עִירִין; irin / Greek: ἐγρήγοροι; egregoroi), the fathers of these spirits, did in my days and also these spirits who are alive. Shut them up and take them to the place of judgment. And do not let them cause corruption among the sons of your servant, O my God, because they are cruel and were created to destroy. 6 And let them not rule over the spirits of the living because you alone know their judgment, and do not let them have power over the children of the righteous henceforth and forever.

7 And the LORD our God spoke to us so that we might bind all of them. 8 And the chief of the spirits, Mastema (מַשְׂטֵמָה, mastemah, Hebrew for “hostility” or “persecution”), came and he said, “O Lord, Creator, leave some of them before me, and let them obey my voice. And let them do everything which I tell them, because if some of them are not left for me, I will not be able to exercise the authority of my will among the children of men because they are (intended) to corrupt and lead astray before my judgment because the evil of the sons of men is great.” 9 And he said, “Let a tenth of them remain before him, but let nine parts go down into the place of judgment.”

10 And he told one of us to teach Noah all of their healing because he knew that they would not walk uprightly and would not strive righteously. 11 And we acted in accord with all of his words. All of the evil ones, who were cruel, we bound in the place of judgment, but a tenth of them we let remain so that they might be subject to Satan (שָּׂטָן, satan: Hebrew for “accuser” or “adversary” / Greek: διάβολος; diabolos) upon the earth. 12 And the healing of all their illnesses together with their seductions we told Noah so that he might heal by means of herbs of the earth. 13 And Noah wrote everything in a book just as we taught him according to every kind of healing. And the evil spirits were restrained from following the sons of Noah. 14 And he gave everything which he wrote to Shem, his oldest son, because he loved him much more than all of his sons. (Jubilees 10:1-14, c. 2nd century BCE, Charlesworth translation)

They do have an all rights reserved notification at the end...

I have posted this to see if y'all are familiar with this book?

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I listened to the book of Jashur on youtube. It talks a lot about Moses and his conquest of a kingdom before he was told to free the hebrews.
It's been awhile.. It's a long book. There are 5 parts. about 16 hours total.

I think there's a lot of things we don't know, and a lot of things that don't fit in.
You should be able to take any book considered Apocrypha and find it falls in place with the law and the prophets.
I've read a lot of the dead sea scrolls. Some sounded yea, and some of them nay.
I will listen to this Book of Jubilees. I don't think I've heard it before.
Thank you for sharing

Hugs

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have posted this to see if y'all are familiar with this book?
I am not familiar with it, but I would suggest reading should-christians-read-the-book-of-jubilee, which has the conclusion:

The Book of Jubilees is an interesting read. It is interesting to see how a Jewish sect used, and even tailored the Old Testament story, to fit their own worldview. It can even be helpful to learn what could have been some oral tradition floating around during the time of Jesus. It’s helpful to know these things. But we should know what it is that we are reading and apply it accordingly. This is not Scripture. It does not have the weight of Scripture. Proceed accordingly.​

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suspect I am once again bringing up the rears as I had never heard of this book.

It's not writings the Lord Jesus decided to include in His cannon, so it is not scripture.

It should be viewed like any other writing that is not scripture in that it's NOT God's inspired Word.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Noah’s Unknown Prayer
I had to check to see if he prayed for rain.

Be careful what you wish for. - LOL

James 5:17-18 NIV
Elijah was a human being, even as we are.
He prayed earnestly that it would not rain,
and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.
18 Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain,
and the earth produced its crops.

/