• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe God was once a human and that humans can evolve into gods as well? Do you believe God has lots of wives? What about Jesus? What about satan? Do you believe they are brothers?
These questions (which do appear to be real, that I applaud you) have a lot of misconceptions about them. I'll go in clarify actual beliefs--

"What about Jesus?"
Jesus Christ is the one and only Begotten Son of God. He existed before the Earth was made, made the Earth, was born into a mortal body, suffered all manners of hardships for us, died, and was resurrected into a glorified body. He was/is/will be God the entire time.

"Do you believe God was once a human and that humans can evolve into gods as well? "
I know for sure that the Son of God did indeed live a mortal life. Through His great sacrifice I can become a joint-heir of Christ, becoming perfected and one with Him & the Father (John 17). This isn't "evolution", rather its God's great and marvelous redeeming power. I'm never going to replace my Father or Savior, but I do indeed hope to be one with them.

"What about satan? Do you believe they are brothers?"
Satan name given to Lucifer after he completely rebelled against the Father. Jesus Christ is the complete opposite: completely fulfilling the Father's will. Any "brotherhood" is only a technicality in the the Father is the Father of all,, which technically makes everyone siblings-- also including you, me, Elvis, Mother Teresa, Hitler, etc.

"Do you believe God has lots of wives? "
Lots, no. One, yes though these is very very little known about that.

• Wow
Reactions: Keturah

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My answer: my Father in Heaven, in the name of Jesus Christ whom is my Lord & Savior.

Are you wanting to have a productive or thoughtful conversation, or just throw smack?
Was my title for the picture.

Reactions: marks

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was my title for the picture.
Oh, I had/have the OP on here on "ignore".

The painting's title is "Moroni Hides the Plates in the Hill Cumorah" by Tom Lovell. It's a religious painting, not something to be mocked as the OP is doing.

Reactions: marks

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[32] Battlestar Galactica - Episode 1 - The New Phantom Religious Menace - Moroni On Kobol

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I had/have the OP on here on "ignore".

The painting's title is "Moroni Hides the Plates in the Hill Cumorah" by Tom Lovell. It's a religious painting, not something to be mocked as the OP is doing.
1 Kings 18:27 disagrees with you.

The only reason this person has me on ignore, is because I showed them all the proof from LDS sources, that they teach that the 7th day is the sabbath, and not the first.

tsr

Feb 2, 2021
04/20/47
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote:
By Elder Gene R. Cook Of the Seventy

The Book of Mormon offers a remarkable promise to those seeking knowledge of the truth. Over the years, I have heard members and missionaries offer a variety of explanations about its meaning. A close examination of the three key verses—Moroni 10:3–5 [Moro. 10:3–5]—will show us that their meaning is far more profound than many of us might have thought.

In addition to the great promise in these verses which helps those who are investigating the gospel to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon, the process Moroni teaches here can be used in confirming all truth. This is a process we can go through every time we wish to have eternal truth confirmed.

Moroni’s Promise

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quote:
By Elder Gene R. Cook Of the Seventy

The Book of Mormon offers a remarkable promise to those seeking knowledge of the truth. Over the years, I have heard members and missionaries offer a variety of explanations about its meaning. A close examination of the three key verses—Moroni 10:3–5 [Moro. 10:3–5]—will show us that their meaning is far more profound than many of us might have thought.

In addition to the great promise in these verses which helps those who are investigating the gospel to gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon, the process Moroni teaches here can be used in confirming all truth. This is a process we can go through every time we wish to have eternal truth confirmed.

Moroni’s Promise

there is no “book of mormon”

the public revelation of God thru christ was complete with the apostle John

jude 1:3

no angel was sent from God to the Freemason charlatan Joe smith who died in prison

no soul sleep
No disembodied souls

only thee faith revealed by Christ to his holy church eph 4:5

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read through the book of Mormon twice -- the last time was just a few months ago. I am usually tolerant of other books that were never canonized such as Enoch, Jubilees, or "apocryphal" such as 2 Esdras or Wisdom of Solomon. There's some good stuff in there and were marginally rejected by some of the Christian Churches. But the book of Mormon is one I could barely tolerate reading. Besides it's obvious anachronisms and historical questions, I found the so-called visit of Christ to his people here on this continent somewhat out of character at best. For starters, Jesus gave to them an exact formula for baptism, which by the way they were practicing BEFORE the Holy Spirit was given at Pentecost and yet they supposedly received the Holy Spirit way back whenever He was not yet given. That's the whole point of the Jewish feast days; guards against error like that, and despite the fact that they taught to keep the commandments (good) yet I did not read anything about feasts or Sabbaths. The Sabbath was an identifying mark between God and his people. Anyway, back to baptism, I found Christ's specific instructions rather tradition of man-like rituals when he was so much against such things while here on earth and rather followed His Father (and the Word of the Lord). If that were so important, these specific instructions would be given in the bible considering that's all Christians of other continents had from the canonization of it (and before that, the apostles' teachings).

Now for the major thing that upset me that I did not see mentioned here. Jesus quoted of himself in Malachi as the "son of righteousness" instead of the "sun of righteousness". Only in the English language is sun and son homonyms. The Old Testament mostly Hebrew and some Aramaic and neither language would one configure "son" from "sun". And indeed, those Nephites and Lamanites knew the supposed reformed Egyption (????) but in Egyptian neither words sound alike. So to someone not speaking the English language would sound as different as if Jesus said "Two donuts and a coffee of righteousness" instead of "sun of righteousness". They would ask him why He changed the meaning?? But this goes over like a lead balloon to an English speaking person. I love that verse sun of righteousness with healing in its wings (i.e. rays) because that passage is using a PHYSICAL counterpart to demonstrate Christ, the Messiah. In other words, it shuts up doctors who say to "avoid the sun at all costs" when in fact, it's healing. (The ancients had it right with the elements earth, water,air and fire. You need good produce of the earth, fresh water and air, and energy from the sun to stay as a healthy physical being--- these are spiritual types).

I'm sure the Mormon folks are good people, and if they want to believe the book of Mormon after pointing these things out, that's their prerogative. But for the rest, I'd say don't waste your time. It's almost all "history" with some strange twists in doctrine.

Reactions: tsr

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The apostles did receive the HS before Pentecost Jn 20:21-23

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[33] How to achieve godhood in 33 easy steps (66 if you only have one leg).

[34] Laying the foundation of the extended good ol' boys club of the Nauvoo lodge.

[35] The Consistent genius of LDSism: How to write about keeping the Sabbath the 7th day, the Lord's day holy in every generation from the time of Adam to the present day, so that everyone can follow Joseph's Smith's example of not doing that and instead call the first day of the week the Sabbath instead (because as we all know in LDS math, 1=7).

[36] How to win the "Liar, Liar pants on fire" award by J. Smith, etal.

[37] Defining Plagiarism, a case example.

[38] How the peoples of the I-magi- Nation came to be realized.

[39] Mocking all that is God, from theory to practice.

[40] The Sears and Roebuck special edition catalogue of secret undergarments, with newly added lingerie section (see page 33 for the "G" string).

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These questions (which do appear to be real, that I applaud you) have a lot of misconceptions about them. I'll go in clarify actual beliefs--

"What about Jesus?"
Jesus Christ is the one and only Begotten Son of God. He existed before the Earth was made, made the Earth, was born into a mortal body, suffered all manners of hardships for us, died, and was resurrected into a glorified body. He was/is/will be God the entire time.

"Do you believe God was once a human and that humans can evolve into gods as well? "
I know for sure that the Son of God did indeed live a mortal life. Through His great sacrifice I can become a joint-heir of Christ, becoming perfected and one with Him & the Father (John 17). This isn't "evolution", rather its God's great and marvelous redeeming power. I'm never going to replace my Father or Savior, but I do indeed hope to be one with them.

Satan name given to Lucifer after he completely rebelled against the Father. Jesus Christ is the complete opposite: completely fulfilling the Father's will. Any "brotherhood" is only a technicality in the the Father is the Father of all,, which technically makes everyone siblings-- also including you, me, Elvis, Mother Teresa, Hitler, etc.

You clearly do not believe in the same Jesus as I do. Do you believe that God was once human who evolved into a god, and that He has a father and mother?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You clearly do not believe in the same Jesus as I do. Do you believe that God was once human who evolved into a god, and that He has a father and mother?
That ^ is not an accurate portrayal of my faith.

I acknowledge your right to believe whatever it is you do, and that I should strive to accurately understand what that is, because that is truthful. A disciple of Christ has no need for straw man arguments or mockery. And I request that you show me that same curtesy.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

This verse that i'll post for you below, teaches that neither born again Christians, nor Angels, marry in Heaven.
Jesus, who is God, gave this verse.
So, Jane_Doe....read this verse, then post for us a verse from the New Testament that says that God has a Wife, or that God go married in Heaven.
As He does not allow marriage in heaven.

29""" But Jesus answered them, “You are wrong, because you know neither the Scriptures nor the power of God. 30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven."""

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That ^ is not an accurate portrayal of my faith.

I acknowledge your right to believe whatever it is you do, and that I should strive to accurately understand what that is, because that is truthful. A disciple of Christ has no need for straw man arguments or mockery. And I request that you show me that same curtesy.
I didn't say you believed those things. I just asked if you did. Big difference. And yet, it's true that you believe very different things about Jesus ...and about God ...which things aren't in the scriptures. I'm not trying to condemn you. I'm just making observations based on what you've shared, and then following up with questions.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

"What about Jesus?"

While you may have a different understanding of these beliefs, I don't think it is your personal beliefs that are under investigation here... It is the doctrine of Mormonism. The teachings of the LDS church you belong to, and those questions I think are being asked of the church. Now you claim to represent that church, yet you avoid confirming that your church actually teaches these things, things which others have provided definitive proof of their existence. You have before declared that we misunderstand those doctrines, offer is your personal interpretation which consistently contradicts that which your church openly teaches.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't say you believed those things. I just asked if you did. Big difference. And yet, it's true that you believe very different things about Jesus ...and about God ...which things aren't in the scriptures. I'm not trying to condemn you. I'm just making observations based on what you've shared, and then following up with questions.
I apologize if I was preemptively prickly. I've been subjected to WAY too many folks whom don't remotely care about what I actually believe, and instead only want recite strawman arguments at me. Admittedly, my patience is extremely thin ofr such. Still, perhaps my snapping at you was uncalled for, and is so I apologize.

Here's what I believe about God: the Father, Son, and Spirit are 3 different persons. They are also each 100% divine- God. They are completely united are 1-- they are 1 God. The Father's will is the Son's will, the Holy Spirit's comfort is the Father's comfort, etc. You cannot say "I want to obey the Spirit but go against the Son"-- that doesn't even make sense (versus in polytheism you can totally do that). I am a monotheist, even though it's not the "simple monotheism" of Islam or modalism.

As to Jesus Christ: He has always existed and always been God. He created this world, and was worshipped in the Old Testament. He humbly came down to Earth, born of the virgin Mary. He taught, suffered, and died for my sins (and everyone else's). On the 3rd day, He rose again so that I may rise again (and everyone else). Through His pains my scarlet self is made white. Not off-white, but pure white. Through faith in Him I will be able to live with God.

I do NOT believe the following:
- The Athanasian Creed states that the Father/Son/Spirit are one through a shared substance. I simply do not find it in scripture.
- I do NOT worship the Force from Star Wars. I do not see God as disembodied, dispassionate, etc. Rather I see God the Father whom loved the world so much that He sent His only perfect Son to be tortured and killed. I see God the Son whom weeps with His friends, whom struggled under the weight of the cross, suffered great pains on my behalf. And yet He was/is loving of a wretch like me -- love so deep I cannot even comprehend it.

I could talk about common straw mans here, and can if you want.