The Bread of Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tom55

Love your neighbor as yourself
Sep 9, 2013
StanJ said:
Nope...keep reading and pay attention to v29.
His words about communion are metaphorical tom, not literal. You'll never learn the Bible if you can't read it IN context and grammatical style.
StanJ,

You have confused me so much. I didn't want to point this out earlier because I knew it would do no good and I didn't want to drag this on since you have hardened your heart to our Lords words OR you have so much disdain for our Catholic brothers that you refuse to believe anything they believe. However, I feel I must defend Scripture against your heresy.

You fail to put scripture in context. You accuse others of this yet you do it yourself. You failed to put 1 Cor 11:30 in context. Starting with v27: So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

As you and any honest person can see Paul does not think it is a metaphor. I ask you StanJ, how can one be "guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord" if it is just a metaphor? WHY would someone need to "examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup" if it is just average old bread and wine? How can one bring judgment upon ones self if it is a metaphor?? How can you eat or drink a metaphor in an "unworthy manner"?

I believe you are probably a good Christian, however, I do not know how you'll ever learn the Bible if you can't read it IN context and grammatical style.

I do not consider myself a bible scholar. I am a simple man who can only discern very clear statements. The statements (plural) that Jesus and Paul made about the Eucharist are VERY CLEAR.

Aug 10, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ISeeU said:
Breaking of bread is shown in Luke 24:45 also, and if there was any mass there it was on the road prior as it approached evening as they ended up constraining him to abide with them at that time.

This verse here

1 Cr 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

Is followed by another, this one

1 Cr 10:17 For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

And the same "we being many are one bread are one body (the body of Christ) and partakers of "that one bread"

Romans 12:5 So we
, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.

Theres a couple.

Hey, I am new, just dropping in.
Hi newbie! :) And lets not forget the blood of Christ speaks (testifies) to our hearts, and by the Spirit we are all also baptized into One body, thereby we also have communion.

2 Corinthians 13:14
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

Nice eye by the way, and here's looking at you kiddo. :)

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tom55 said:
StanJ,

You have confused me so much. I didn't want to point this out earlier because I knew it would do no good and I didn't want to drag this on since you have hardened your heart to our Lords words OR you have so much disdain for our Catholic brothers that you refuse to believe anything they believe. However, I feel I must defend Scripture against your heresy.

You fail to put scripture in context. You accuse others of this yet you do it yourself. You failed to put 1 Cor 11:30 in context. Starting with v27: So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord. Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup. 29 For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves.

As you and any honest person can see Paul does not think it is a metaphor. I ask you StanJ, how can one be "guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord" if it is just a metaphor? WHY would someone need to "examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup" if it is just average old bread and wine? How can one bring judgment upon ones self if it is a metaphor?? How can you eat or drink a metaphor in an "unworthy manner"?

I believe you are probably a good Christian, however, I do not know how you'll ever learn the Bible if you can't read it IN context and grammatical style.

I do not consider myself a bible scholar. I am a simple man who can only discern very clear statements. The statements (plural) that Jesus and Paul made about the Eucharist are VERY CLEAR.
I wasn't talking about this, so why bring it up?

The obvious answer to the above is proper motivation and understanding of what Jesus told the Apostles to do. No doubt Paul who was also told by Jesus, knew this and identified the error in their practices. It was NOT meant to be a potluck meal, nor to be used as one.
His teaching is of course sound, but your understanding seems flawed. What EXACTLY is you problem with 1 Cor 11? Please remember THAT RCC doctrine is considered heresy for the most part here so I would be careful what you call heresy, especially as you didn't actually point out WHAT I said that was heretical.
Did Paul not say; "...eats the BREAD and drinks the CUP."? Yes he DID. He didn't say 'eats the flesh and drinks the blood'. You seem to,not be able to read the basic English as it stands? Again because you don't filter it through the Holy Spirit, but only through the inculcate on of your RCC dogma.
Communion is eating and drinking bread and wine to COMMEMORATE Jesus shedding His blood and going over His body to be utterly broken, even though they did NOT break His legs as the OT prophesied. We do NOT eat his actual flesh and blood. That was the metaphorical part He originally spoke if in John 6.
BTW, all sin is against Jesus, as He covered the price needed, and PAID the debt required by the law, ONCE, for ALL sin for ALL time.

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
StanJ said:

Huh? I'm confused. You weren't talking about what?

The obvious answer to the above is proper motivation and understanding of what Jesus told the Apostles to do. No doubt Paul who was also told by Jesus, knew this and identified the error in their practices. It was NOT meant to be a potluck meal, nor to be used as one.

I don't know what you mean by "potluck meal". Can you explain?

His teaching is of course sound, but your understanding seems flawed. What EXACTLY is you problem with 1 Cor 11? Please remember THAT RCC doctrine is considered heresy for the most part here so I would be careful what you call heresy, especially as you didn't actually point out WHAT I said that was heretical.

I have no problem with 1 Cor 11 since it backs up what I have been saying all along. Furthermore, communion being His real (mystical) body and blood is not ONLY RCC doctrine since MOST Christians believe it and practice it. Furthermore, how is it that YOUR understanding is not flawed but mine (and billions of other Christians) is flawed? Are YOU infallible?
Did Paul not say; "...eats the BREAD and drinks the CUP."? Yes he DID. He didn't say 'eats the flesh and drinks the blood'. You seem to, not be able to read the basic English as it stands?

You have failed to recognize that Jesus said he is the BREAD of life. What would be in the cup?

Again because you don't filter it through the Holy Spirit, but only through the inculcate on of your RCC dogma.

So the Holy Spirit revealed to you, StanJ, that it is not his flesh and blood? I have never said I was Catholic. However, the Catholic Church clearly got this one right. Is there ANYTHING your agree with the RCC on??

Communion is eating and drinking bread and wine to COMMEMORATE Jesus shedding His blood and going over His body to be utterly broken, even though they did NOT break His legs as the OT prophesied. We do NOT eat his actual flesh and blood. That was the metaphorical part He originally spoke if in John 6.

There you go again, repeating your heresy. Notice how you DID NOT answer any one of the four questions I asked you in post #21? I suspect you didn't answer or rebute because what I wrote destroys your opinion.
BTW, all sin is against Jesus, as He covered the price needed, and PAID the debt required by the law, ONCE, for ALL sin for ALL time.

BTW....I am not sure what that has to do with it being his real flesh and blood.

I ask you StanJ, how can one be "guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord" when they eat the bread and drink the cup if it is just a metaphor? WHY would someone need to "examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup" if it is just average old bread and wine? How can one bring judgment upon ones self if it is a metaphor?? How can you eat or drink a metaphor in an "unworthy manner"?

I look forward to your rebuttal!!

ISeeU

Aug 10, 2015
InSpiritInTruth said:
Hi newbie! :) And lets not forget the blood of Christ speaks (testifies) to our hearts, and by the Spirit we are all also baptized into One body, thereby we also have communion.

2 Corinthians 13:14
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

Nice eye by the way, and here's looking at you kiddo. :)

2 Cornthians 13:14 was the very next verse I would have posted Amen.

And hey thanks, better to "See U" with right? ;)
(Well, if thats the correct good eyeball)

Good to see you
(Peace be unto you)

And here are a few to confirm, that speak to "the blood of sprinkling" which speaketh better things than that of Abel

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Which was said earlier,

Heb 9:13 For if
the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Now that was some color overload (sorry bout that) but it could have been alot worse.

Thats all I have on that one :popcorn:

Our God richly bless you

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tom55 said:

Huh? I'm confused. You weren't talking about what?

I don't know what you mean by "potluck meal". Can you explain?

I have no problem with 1 Cor 11 since it backs up what I have been saying all along. Furthermore, communion being His real (mystical) body and blood is not ONLY RCC doctrine since MOST Christians believe it and practice it. Furthermore, how is it that YOUR understanding is not flawed but mine (and billions of other Christians) is flawed? Are YOU infallible?
Did Paul not say; "...eats the BREAD and drinks the CUP."? Yes he DID. He didn't say 'eats the flesh and drinks the blood'. You seem to, not be able to read the basic English as it stands?

You have failed to recognize that Jesus said he is the BREAD of life. What would be in the cup?

Again because you don't filter it through the Holy Spirit, but only through the inculcate on of your RCC dogma.

So the Holy Spirit revealed to you, StanJ, that it is not his flesh and blood? I have never said I was Catholic. However, the Catholic Church clearly got this one right. Is there ANYTHING your agree with the RCC on??

There you go again, repeating your heresy. Notice how you DID NOT answer any one of the four questions I asked you in post #21? I suspect you didn't answer or rebute because what I wrote destroys your opinion.

BTW....I am not sure what that has to do with it being his real flesh and blood.

I ask you StanJ, how can one be "guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord" when they eat the bread and drink the cup if it is just a metaphor? WHY would someone need to "examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup" if it is just average old bread and wine? How can one bring judgment upon ones self if it is a metaphor?? How can you eat or drink a metaphor in an "unworthy manner"?

I look forward to your rebuttal!!
As you refuse to conform to the proper forum format I won't be addressing this post. You also use the word 'confuse' a lot and seem to not understand some very basic common English vernacular. At this point I have serious doubts about your genuousness. In any event, you can either start to earnestly discuss or I can put you on ignore. You choose.

Aug 10, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ISeeU said:
2 Cornthians 13:14 was the very next verse I would have posted Amen.

And hey thanks, better to "See U" with right? ;)
(Well, if thats the correct good eyeball)

Good to see you
(Peace be unto you)

And here are a few to confirm, that speak to "the blood of sprinkling" which speaketh better things than that of Abel

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Heb 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Which was said earlier,

Heb 9:13 For if
the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

1 Peter 1:2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Now that was some color overload (sorry bout that) but it could have been alot worse.

Thats all I have on that one :popcorn:

Our God richly bless you
I don't mind the colors, as you know I use the color red a lot to get my point across about sin. I sent you a PM by the way, just to catch up on how you have been doing. Hope all is well. Peace :)

Reactions: ISeeU

tom55

Sep 9, 2013
StanJ said:
As you refuse to conform to the proper forum format I won't be addressing this post. You also use the word 'confuse' a lot and seem to not understand some very basic common English vernacular. At this point I have serious doubts about your genuousness. In any event, you can either start to earnestly discuss or I can put you on ignore. You choose.
So you won't answer my questions even after I answered yours? Not sure what the proper "forum format" is. Maybe you could explain it to me for I am a simple man with only a HS diploma.

I use the word confuse a lot because you are confusing me. I can't put 2 and 2 together from your post and come up with 4. How else should I word it? I don't understand what you are saying? Can you explain better? Do those two questions sound better?

OK...Can you explain your position better?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
tom55 said:
So you won't answer my questions even after I answered yours? Not sure what the proper "forum format" is. Maybe you could explain it to me for I am a simple man with only a HS diploma.

I use the word confuse a lot because you are confusing me. I can't put 2 and 2 together from your post and come up with 4. How else should I word it? I don't understand what you are saying? Can you explain better? Do those two questions sound better?

OK...Can you explain your position better?
That's right, and you know good and well what the proper format is because you've used it. You use this ploy to AVOID dealing with my poihts, and I wasn't born yesterday. BTW, you're better educated than I was. I never graduated grade 9, so unless you're only 18, you should know the vernacular I use.

I can't help you if you truly don't understand what I write, but I seriously doubt that is the issue. I've seen you discuss with others, and your comprehension level is quite fine.

The problem is NOT my explanation, it is your purported lack of understanding. I really have NO desire to play your game. You know what to do, so do it or don't, I won't address you further in this regard, I'll just ignore you.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
InSpiritInTruth said:
I don't mind the colors, as you know I use the color red a lot to get my point across about sin. I sent you a PM by the way, just to catch up on how you have been doing. Hope all is well. Peace :)
There's NO reason for it. We all know how to read, and don't need to be basically yelled at.

ISeeU

Aug 10, 2015
I like it, you just cant please everyone and thats okay too,

I have a redletter bible I never see that as it yelling at me

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ISeeU said:
I like it, you just cant please everyone and thats okay too,

I have a redletter bible I never see that as it yelling at me
Do you REALLY need to see red letters to know they are the words of Jesus? Do you also have a Bible that frames some items in blue?
My point is that is is distracting and hopefully will soon be turned off as it has been in many forums.

ISeeU

Aug 10, 2015
StanJ said:
Do you REALLY need to see red letters to know they are the words of Jesus? Do you also have a Bible that frames some items in blue?
My point is that is is distracting and hopefully will soon be turned off as it has been in many forums.
I have bad eyesight so it helps me immensely,but what is helpful to some might be a little distracting to another, and in this case that is where a decent ignore button comes in because sometimes just peoples bad tudes and dominating know it all selfs are far more distracting then colors and its easier just to turn them off (with a click).

Try the ignore button everyone can be so happy with just one click eh?

Aug 10, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
There's NO reason for it. We all know how to read, and don't need to be basically yelled at.
I don't see it as being yelled at, I think all caps is like YELLING! :) But I use the color red for certain things that pertain to sin for a reason, and perhaps I'll show you that reason here in the near future. :)

ISeeU

Aug 10, 2015
Yeah... and prolly cause when you do something stupid you smack yourself on a certain part of your face and get a red mark on your forehead (and your hand) and bam... mark of the beast

(I couldnt resist) :lol:

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ISeeU said:
I have bad eyesight so it helps me immensely,but what is helpful to some might be a little distracting to another, and in this case that is where a decent ignore button comes in because sometimes just peoples bad tudes and dominating know it all selfs are far more distracting then colors and its easier just to turn them off (with a click).
Try the ignore button everyone can be so happy with just one click eh?
What's wrong with your eyesight? I have retinopathy but can read just fine.
I only put people on ignore when they deserve it. What I find more problematic is a newbie who comes in with 'tude' and no respect.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
InSpiritInTruth said:
I don't see it as being yelled at, I think all caps is like YELLING! :) But I use the color red for certain things that pertain to sin for a reason, and perhaps I'll show you that reason here in the near future. :)
That is just one type of yelling, and red is another. Like I said, there is NO valid reason other than to draw attention to yourself and your posts. One or three is not a problem but there are better alternatives. You and ISEEU seem to know one another and both signed up the same day so I'll assume your mutual 'tude' existed before you signed up here? Did you or both of you get kicked off another site?

ISeeU

Aug 10, 2015
StanJ said:
What's wrong with your eyesight? I have retinopathy but can read just fine.
I only put people on ignore when they deserve it. What I find more problematic is a newbie who comes in with 'tude' and no respect.
My eyesight is bad (simply put) and others using colors has always helped me see much better. I am certainly not going to post to compare medical records with you online, comparing my eyesight with yours, thats more then just a little ridiculous.

Besides, the colors in posts might not help you that way which is great for you because that just means you can see just fine (like most everyone else) regardless of whatever condition you might have. The use of such colors (in your own case) would not aid you in any particular way, How wonderful that is for you.

But griping about what others might prefer (or what they might find helpful) is your perogative.

My lack of respect? And what was that? An abundance of "respect" oozing from your own pores back there? :lol:

Now dont be dissin' this newby's tude. I entered in onto this thread adressing no one and did so with a handful verses while tip toeing around your last beef with someone elses use of colors. I did add some color in on my second post ( in response to InSpiritInTruth's post) because he doesnt seem to mind them (even though you do) and I did apologize on that second post for possibly imposing a little too much color upon you (as it might have to pass before your eyes). And since you were having a cow with the other guy over it I didnt want to annoy you further. Then I thought, great he is distracted, maybe this will pass under his radar (posting to InSpirit) and when he read me apologizing about the colors he assured me it was okay with him which should be all that matters (since I was responding to him) on his thread. After he responded to me (and shared that he posted in red sometimes) you started in on him. I just come back to assure InSpirit that I (personally) like the colors (even though some like yourself do not). You really cannot please every one (even as I dont think anyone can please you) since now you are going on bout my lack of respect' "as a newby" while supposedly having some sort of tude when yours really rots.

I think we get where everyone stands over colors, so maybe we can get past it and just move on

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ISeeU said:
My eyesight is bad (simply put) and others using colors has always helped me see much better. I am certainly not going to post to compare medical records with you online, comparing my eyesight with yours, thats more then just a little ridiculous.
Besides, the colors in posts might not help you that way which is great for you because that just means you can see just fine (like most everyone else) regardless of whatever condition you might have. The use of such colors (in your own case) would not aid you in any particular way, How wonderful that is for you.
But griping about what others might prefer (or what they might find helpful) is your perogative.
My lack of respect? And what was that? An abundance of "respect" oozing from your own pores back there?
Now dont be dissin' this newby's tude. I entered in onto this thread adressing no one and did so with a handful verses while tip toeing around your last beef with someone elses use of colors. I did add some color in on my second post ( in response to InSpiritInTruth's post) because he doesnt seem to mind them (even though you do) and I did apologize on that second post for possibly imposing a little too much color upon you (as it might have to pass before your eyes). And since you were having a cow with the other guy over it I didnt want to annoy you further. Then I thought, great he is distracted, maybe this will pass under his radar (posting to InSpirit) and when he read me apologizing about the colors he assured me it was okay with him which should be all that matters (since I was responding to him) on his thread. After he responded to me (and shared that he posted in red sometimes) you started in on him. I just come back to assure InSpirit that I (personally) like the colors (even though some like yourself do not). You really cannot please every one (even as I dont think anyone can please you) since now you are going on bout my lack of respect' "as a newby" while supposedly having some sort of tude when yours really rots.
I think we get where everyone stands over colors, so maybe we can get past it and just move on
So no real medical problem then, just a preference for bright colours? You can make your screen high contrast if you're using Windows, and that really is your priblem? Then you're not effecting everyone or anyone that doesn't like it. Oh I'm sure we'll move on from this issue until something else comes along. I have a distinct feeling your 'tude' will rear it's ugly head again, and probably way to soon.

Jan 11, 2016
StanJ said:
LOL, why do you seem to feel like people are yelling at you? THIS, WRITING ALL CAPS IS YELLING. Not using different colors.

Color option is there for a reason or to just to add to the decorum?