The Case for Eternal Security

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In regard to Hebrews 10:26, to "sin willfully" here carries the idea of deliberate intention that is habitual, which stems from rejecting Christ deliberately. This is continuous action, a matter of practice. Now we don't walk along our daily life and "accidentally" fall into a pit called sin. We exercise our will but, the use of the participle clearly shows continuous action. The unrighteous practice sin (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Galatians 5:19-21); not the righteous, who are born of God. (1 Corinthians 6:11; 1 John 3:9)
Yes, and many Christians do that, in fact one of the ladies at church told me she was 'propositioned' more at church than anywhere else, so it happens my brother, as sure as the day is long as they say...

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you look at the theme of Hebrews, it's about Christ and the New Covenant being superior to the Old. The warnings are about falling away from Christ. If you leave Christ, when you sin willfully (and it's "when", not "if"), you no longer have atonement.

But every time I talk about looking for themes in a book or chapter and interpreting the meaning of a particular verse based on what the author is trying to establish overall, everybody looks at me funny, like they never heard of doing that.
Nowhere in the context does it specifically say the person who "trampled underfoot the Son of God and has regarded as unclean the blood of the covenant" was "saved" and/or "lost their salvation." By the time we get down to verse 39, we see that the writer of Hebrews sets up a CONTRAST that makes it clear to me that he was not referring to saved Hebrews who lost their salvation: But WE are not OF THOSE who draw back to perdition, but OF THOSE who believe to the saving of the soul. Those who draw back to perdition do not believe to the saving of the soul and those who believe to the saving of the soul do not draw back to perdition.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and many Christians do that, in fact one of the ladies at church told me she was 'propositioned' more at church than anywhere else, so it happens my brother, as sure as the day is long as they say...
Many Christians do that? Chapter and verse please. There are genuine Christians and there are "nominal" Christians. There are genuine believers and there are make believers mixed together throughout various churches and on various Christian forum sites.

Elsewhere in the book of Hebrews 4:1-2, we read - For indeed the gospel was preached to US as well as to THEM; but the word which THEY heard did not profit THEM, not being mixed with faith in THOSE who heard it.

For WE who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest," although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Obviously, not all of these Hebrews were genuine believers. *Notice that verses 2-3 makes a distinction between US who have BELIEVED and do enter that rest and THEM who heard the word but did not mix faith with what they heard and will not enter that rest because of UNBELIEF.

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said. That is the crux of the issue.
Not that I agree with your conclusion, but... I respect it.

/
And I respect yours. It's heartwarming that neither of us is as strident in our positions as many who post on this site, attacking their dissenters with ad hominems and sometimes vitriol.

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many Christians do that? Chapter and verse please. There are genuine Christians and there are "nominal" Christians. There are genuine believers and there are make believers mixed together throughout various churches and on various Christian forum sites.

Elsewhere in the book of Hebrews 4:1-2, we read - For indeed the gospel was preached to US as well as to THEM; but the word which THEY heard did not profit THEM, not being mixed with faith in THOSE who heard it.

For WE who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: "So I swore in My wrath, 'They shall not enter My rest," although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

Obviously, not all of these Hebrews were genuine believers. *Notice that verses 2-3 makes a distinction between US who have BELIEVED and do enter that rest and THEM who heard the word but did not mix faith with what they heard and will not enter that rest because of UNBELIEF.
Well, if you look most Christians are nominal, they just warm the seat at church and hardly ever open their Bible, to say even less of knowing its truth, just what the preacher tells them. Go to any of the large churches and you will find them, it seems the struggling congregations in the small churches with a humble leader of the flock, tend to be more genuine...

Reactions: amadeus

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You believe that many Christians willfully sin per Hebrews 10:26?
No, I don't believe that many Christians willfully sin. And I certainly don't believe many Christians willfully sin "per Hebrews 10:26." (Two very different propositions.) I'm just wondering what kind of "chapter and verse" you are asking for.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't believe that many Christians willfully sin. And I certainly don't believe many Christians willfully sin "per Hebrews 10:26." (Two very different propositions.) I'm just wondering what kind of "chapter and verse" you are asking for.
I was looking for chapter and verse from him to back up his argument. Some people try to use Matthew 7:22-23 yet Jesus said He never knew these many people which means they were never saved.

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God does not provide us with eternal security; however, we can be secure in Christ and His promises if we take our nourishment from His fertile soil/field.

God understood that a righteous man can sin and if that righteous man will not repent of his sin, then God sadly knows that we will die the second death and lose the promise of life because we had formed a relationship with God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that even true? (as you are interpreting it)
Somehow the Atonement was incomplete? God ran out of Grace when you backslid? Seriously?
Do you guys even think about what you are claiming?
What do people, who have met Jesus, have which is more or better than what Adam and Eve had in the garden before they disobeyed God? What I see is people being given the chance to choose for themselves, life or death, even as Adam and Eve had that choice. This was so for people in the OT as well as it is for people in the NT including today. Is not our God fair and has He also never has been a respecter of persons? As people from Adam up to Jesus could falter and fail, so also could those thereafter, falter and fail.

Our God is still no respecter of persons. While there is choice, the person may choose Life or death...

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing that I've learned over the years as a member of various Christian forum sites is that t's impossible to prove anything theologically to someone whose mind is already made up.