The Changing Roll of the Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We just had an ingathering feast today where the whole church family got together. before the Feast we had a session where members stood up and thanked God for various ways He blessed us this past year. A couple of ladies did the cooking and we had turkey, dressing, potatoes, gravy, green beans, and cranberries along with an assortment of desserts. Afterward the ladies cleaned up. It was a family affair. We do this every year to thank God for the harvest and provision He gives us.
What happened? I didn't get an invite.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd like to point out; in 1948 when Israel became a country again, the latter end times started. Since the birth of the baby boomer generation, we have seen the decline, slowly, of society and the church. Prayer was taken out of school, began the decline. Ya'll know the rest of the story. Right up to Covid, which began online church watching; not leaving your house. I regularly go the church and praise Jesus to everyone to show how Christians used to act.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'd like to point out; in 1948 when Israel became a country again, the latter end times started. Since the birth of the baby boomer generation, we have seen the decline, slowly, of society and the church. Prayer was taken out of school, began the decline. Ya'll know the rest of the story. Right up to Covid, which began online church watching; not leaving your house. I regularly go the church and praise Jesus to everyone to show how Christians used to act.
I have several historical reasons why we could turn to any date over the last 2 to 300 years and declare, that was the beginning of sorrows. But the one that stands out to me more than any other is 1844. Google that year, and discover what took place in the spiritual realm. And the difference between 1948 and 1844 is that 1844 is a date set in prophecy.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have several historical reasons why we could turn to any date over the last 2 to 300 years and declare, that was the beginning of sorrows. But the one that stands out to me more than any other is 1844. Google that year, and discover what took place in the spiritual realm. And the difference between 1948 and 1844 is that 1844 is a date set in prophecy.
Israel's return was prophesized in several prophetic books. 1948 fulfilled the prophesy, notably, Ezekiel 37. Matthew 24:34 refers to the generation that see these things that are happening now. Everything in the world centers around Israel.

I don't go by Ellen White's guessing. Only what the bible says. Times up, the end is soon. Halleluiah, Amen, thank you Jesus.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Israel's return was prophesized in several prophetic books. 1948 fulfilled the prophesy, notably, Ezekiel 37. Matthew 24:34 refers to the generation that see these things that are happening now. Everything in the world centers around Israel.

I don't go by Ellen White's guessing. Only what the bible says. Times up, the end is soon. Halleluiah, Amen, thank you Jesus.
Okay, so this is a shade off topic, but 1844 is one of the most prophetically reliably time prophecies in scripture, and once studied, cannot be refuted. It's based on the following...
KJV Daniel 8:14
14 And he said unto me, Unto two thousand and three hundred days; then shall the sanctuary be cleansed.

And it's explanation...

KJV Daniel 9:25-27
25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

Of course, Ellen White didn't write the book of Daniel, nor did she guess as to it's interpretation. Daniel 9 was studied well before she came on the scene, and no-one since has with any integrity and honesty denied it's accuracy.
1948 however, is not laid out in any time prophecy, and Israel is not the center of prophetic end time events... The church is.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Angelina,

Having been a church goer on and off through my life. A couple of thoughts come to my mind when going to church on and off like that, and even if popping up into a church building which there are dozens of around here in Alabama. The first thought is, the importance of learning the word of God, using the Bible in conjunction to give a lesson by and through study of a select chapter going verse by verse. The second thought is, there was many people at church this morning that go every Sunday religiously, Church is great in a certain way as it is somewhere a person can talk about God; but when it comes to church sometimes - it is as though everything can just be a facade.

For me personally there is nothing wrong with people if they desire to go to church, if they are actually teaching the Bible verse by verse being straight forward and honest even that they may not be right, and actually say that it is possible for themselves to be wrong and that anyone else should check and test everything according to the Bible, would be a good teacher in my opinion to have teaching, along side with researched topics on the matters by use of the Bible, and of course always being lead by the Holy Spirit.

Thank you for your question,
Matthew
Personally, I don't see anywhere in scripture where the NTC went through scripture verse by verse. probably because the scriptures did not exist. Teaching was mainly verbal by those who had something to say because they were anointed by God to have something to say. Most teaching was about the do not the theory, so it was an active reality they were all about.

I am disappointed that so-called teaching today is mostly about nothing.

"We had a wonderful sermon today"

"What was it about?"

"Can't remember but it was certainly wonderful."

I don't hear people saying "That was one hell of teaching. It is going to keep me going for at least a week to work out daily in my life."

Today we may know the word of God but do we know the God of the word?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Personally, I don't see anywhere in scripture where the NTC went through scripture verse by verse. probably because the scriptures did not exist. Teaching was mainly verbal by those who had something to say because they were anointed by God to have something to say. Most teaching was about the do not the theory, so it was an active reality they were all about.

"What was it about?"

I don't hear people saying "That was one hell of teaching. It is going to keep me going for at least a week to work out daily in my life."

Sad you feel that way.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most of the time, I believe that people pretty much did things verbally until probably the Gospels were gathered and created from Mark, Luke, John, and Matthew. They did have the Old Testament scriptures on scrolls that they read during synagogues (Luke 14:17-21). So I would agree with you on that.

"What was it about?"

That is why it is so important for people to be encouraged to dig into their bibles and read it and see what it is all about, and see who is being spoken to, and compare scripture with scripture, and even check history.

Being fortified in faithfulness towards God, and the promises that come through the Lord Jesus Christ, having love for God first and to have love for others as yourself.

I haven't been in a church that goes verse by verse - except maybe a bible study at a church for christ. Sometimes it is just stories about feelings and not really learning as you stated about God himself, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the culture of the time, and what not which I believe is an important thing to learn.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure if we will ever get back to the traditional roll of the church as it has slowly evolved into something I personally do not recognise. Very much like the family unit, the church used to be the cultural and spiritual center of christian faith and activity. Te Ao (our world)
Now days, I don't recognise it very much as the same place . Has anyone else noticed this?
and why?

Satan has infiltrated his demonic lackeys into many churches to make Christianity look bad, that's why there are so many oddball churches and denominations and ministers/pastors/vicars/priests around that bring Christianity into disrepute in the eyes of the general public, hence the warnings-
"Ungodly men have slipped in among you" (Jude 4)
".. some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves." (Gal 2:4)
"For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ." (2 Cor 11:13/14)
"False prophets will bring damnable heresies and false teachers" (2 Pet 2:1)
"Don't get carried away by strange teachings" (Heb 13:9)
"They want to win you over and alienate you from us" (Gal 4:17)
Jesus said:-"Many false prophets shall arise and deceive many" (Matt 24:11)
"Little children, let nobody lead you astray" (1 John 3:7)
"If anyone preaches a perverted gospel they're accursed" (Gal 1:6-9)
"Beware men who spoil you with enticing words, deceitful philosophy not after Christ" (Col 2:4-8 )
"Ignorant people distort things, to their own destruction" (2 Pet 3:16/17)
"Some shall believe seducing spirits and doctrines of devils" (1 Tim 4:1)

Jesus said:-"Many false prophets shall arise and deceive many" (Matt 24:11)
Jesus said-"Call nobody teacher except me" (Matt 23:8-10)

Reactions: marksman

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'm really surprised that some of you haven't experienced true Bible study in a church setting. Interactive discussion, in depth searching of scriptures, tossing around ideas and insights, that's the highlight of my week every Sabbath. I don't know how you fellas survive without it.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As far as the changing role of the church, has the role really changed, or has the church discarded it's traditonal role and become nothing more than a social club?

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Most of the time, I believe that people pretty much did things verbally until probably the Gospels were gathered and created from Mark, Luke, John, and Matthew. They did have the Old Testament scriptures on scrolls that they read during synagogues (Luke 14:17-21). So I would agree with you on that.

That is why it is so important for people to be encouraged to dig into their bibles and read it and see what it is all about, and see who is being spoken to, and compare scripture with scripture, and even check history.

Being fortified in faithfulness towards God, and the promises that come through the Lord Jesus Christ, having love for God first and to have love for others as yourself.

I haven't been in a church that goes verse by verse - except maybe a bible study at a church for christ. Sometimes it is just stories about feelings and not really learning as you stated about God himself, and the Lord Jesus Christ, and the culture of the time, and what not which I believe is an important thing to learn.
This is my impression but I may be wrong. It seems to me that pastors do not want you to dig, in case you end up knowing more than they do. Although I have four degrees one of which is theological and one which included theological studies, I am never asked to teach even though the pastor has no qualifications other than the denominations diploma and whose sermons usually send me to sleep. I am not saying this to boast just as a matter of fact.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Angelina,

Having been a church goer on and off through my life. A couple of thoughts come to my mind when going to church on and off like that, and even if popping up into a church building which there are dozens of around here in Alabama. The first thought is, the importance of learning the word of God, using the Bible in conjunction to give a lesson by and through study of a select chapter going verse by verse. The second thought is, there was many people at church this morning that go every Sunday religiously, Church is great in a certain way as it is somewhere a person can talk about God; but when it comes to church sometimes - it is as though everything can just be a facade.

For me personally there is nothing wrong with people if they desire to go to church, if they are actually teaching the Bible verse by verse being straight forward and honest even that they may not be right, and actually say that it is possible for themselves to be wrong and that anyone else should check and test everything according to the Bible, would be a good teacher in my opinion to have teaching, along side with researched topics on the matters by use of the Bible, and of course always being lead by the Holy Spirit.

Thank you for your question,
Matthew
Teaching the Bible verse by verse was not practiced in the New Testament Church for the simple reason there was no New Testament. That came much later when the church had already gone astray. Most of the teaching in the New Testament Church was what Jesus said and did. Because church leadership today does not do what Jesus did or say what he said all we are left with is man's idea of what the New Testament teaches. There is no learning by example. I am reading a book "With Signs Following" which is a history of the supernatural in the church since Azuza Street. What I have read so far is that every new church start-up was accompanied by signs and wonders because that is what the leaders did. What was the result? People got healed, delivered, saved, and filled with the Holy Spirit.

Today we rarely see a new start-up with signs and wonders. At the last one I went to the regional superintendent preached and he was as dead as a dodo. No miracles. No signs and wonders. No healings. No one filled with the Holy Spirit. Just plain old boring.

Nothing will happen until we get serious about prayer and waiting on God. He has all the answers and he will give them to us when we want them which we don't seem to as we don't need them. Routine is the name of the game and don't you dare change anything. Well, that is the impression I get.