The Chosen - Godly Truth or Dangerous Fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Hypothetical.

An unbeliever wants to learn about Jesus. Do you offer the unbeliever a fictionalized Jesus or a non-fictionalized Jesus?

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As we’ve agreed that Paul was acting under the inspiration of God, yes.

[Using the concessions of their pagan philosophers was also a common practice among the later Greek Apologists.]

Are the writers and producers - who acknowledge that they are presenting a fictionalized Jesus for the purpose of providing entertainment for their viewers - doing so under the inspiration of God?

Was Paul speaking with the purpose of providing his audience entertainment?
So you are saying a person could not glean an interesting point, an angle on a scene in the Scripture which might be true? Might add some additional life to the story?

I'm open minded....can you hear all those forum members sigh heavily?

F2F

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I wouldn’t make such an attempt.

Why fictionalize Jesus to entertain ourselves and others?
How far do you take this? Children's Sunday School stories? Worksheets? Cartoons?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So you are saying a person could not glean an interesting point, an angle on a scene in the Scripture which might be true? Might add some additional life to the story?

I'm open minded....can you hear all those forum members sigh heavily?

F2F

Maybe it’s because I’m a retired pastor, but I don’t think it‘s right to entertain our audience with a fictionalized Jesus. About all I can say is that that is not what God has called me to do, nor is it what God called the apostles to do.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Maybe it’s because I’m a retired pastor, but I don’t think it‘s right to entertain our audience with a fictionalized Jesus. About all I can say is that that is not what God has called me to do, nor is it what God called the apostles to do.
Don't take this the wrong way but what if you discovered the Jesus you preach of your whole life wasn't the true Jesus? Don't dismiss this so quickly...it's going to happen and if not to me, maybe you!

• Love
Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Introduce me to Jesus Matthias.

I’l begin by going against my grain and saying as my pastor once said to the congregation - “If you have your Bible with you this morning, turn with me to the Gospel of Matthew.”

As it turns out, and this is a true story, I was the only member of the congregation who opened my Bible and turned to the passage the pastor was going to speak on that morning.

You could have heard a pin drop as I turned the pages in my Bible. I learned later from my wife that even the pastor paused briefly to stare at me.

After the service I was approached by an irritated man in the parking lot. He snarled at me, “What’s the matter? Don’t you trust the man?” Before I could answer he stormed away.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Don't take this the wrong way but what if you discovered the Jesus you preach of your whole life wasn't the true Jesus? Don't dismiss this so quickly...it's going to happen and if not to me, maybe you!

Ah! But it did happen to me.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I’l begin by going against my grain and saying as my pastor once said to the congregation - “If you have your Bible with you this morning, turn with me to the Gospel of Matthew.”

As it turns out, and this is a true story, I was the only member of the congregation who opened my Bible and turned to the passage the pastor was going to speak on that morning.

You could have heard a pin drop as I turned the pages in my Bible. I learned later from my wife that even the pastor paused briefly to stare at me.

After the service I was approached by an irritated man in the parking lot. He snarled at me, “What’s the matter? Don’t you trust the man?” Before I could answer he stormed away.
this is an introduction to yourself, not Jesus... outstanding!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Ah! But it did happen to me.

Here’s an uncomfortable follow up question: Is it even remotely possible that it could happen to me again?

I ask myself that question periodically. I leave open the tiniest possibility that it could. I don’t want to believe something which isn’t true. I sure don’t want to teach others things which aren’t true.

I ask God to show me if I believe something which isn’t true. Seldom, but every now and then, he does.

Reactions: face2face

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
this is an introduction to yourself, not Jesus... outstanding!

I’m pleased that you found my introduction of myself ... outstanding!

Now. Did you turn with me in your Bible this morning to the Gospel of Matthew?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Here’s an uncomfortable follow up question: Is it even remotely possible that it could happen to me again?

I ask myself that question periodically. I leave open the tiniest possibility that it could. I don’t want to believe something which isn’t true. I sure don’t want to teach others things which aren’t true.

I ask God to show me if I believe something which isn’t true. Seldom, but every now and then, he does.
again, you're talking about yourself. Is this how you introduce people to Jesus, Matthias? ....and when others attempt to as in 'The Chosen' you try to discredit them?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
again, you're talking about yourself. Is this how you introduce people to Jesus, Matthias? ....and when others attempt to as in 'The Chosen' you try to discredit them?

I should be sleeping. Instead, I’m waiting patiently on you. Have you turned with me in the Bible to the Gospel of Matthew? We will both be introduced to Jesus there.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes, I dont perceive their creativity in these shows as being misleading of the Lord. If it cause's one to open the Word to find Jesus I'm not offended.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How difficult do you think it is for a person to exchange their God for another?
I went into the wilderness for 18 months after testing everything I thought I knew. In a weird way the god I believe in, died, and was replaced with a Living One.
F2F

• Love
Reactions: Matthias