The Church is Not the Source of Truth

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes thanks for the correction Eusebius otherwise known as Jerome, and than much later Erasmus used parts of the corrupt Latin Vulgate to fill in for missing texts.

I read most of the article you linked and a scripture came to my mind concerning it.

[font=Verdana']1[/font] About that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who is greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven?”[font=Verdana']2[/font] Jesus called a little child to him and put the child among them.[font=Verdana']3[/font] Then he said, “I tell you the truth, unless you turn from your sins and become like little children, you will never get into the Kingdom of Heaven.[font=Verdana']4[/font] So anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is the greatest in the Kingdom of Heaven.[font=Verdana']5[/font] “And anyone who welcomes a little child like this on my behalf is welcoming me.[font=Verdana']6[/font] But if you cause one of these little ones who trusts in me to fall into sin, it would be better for you to have a large millstone tied around your neck and be drowned in the depths of the sea.
Matt 18:1-6 (NLT)

Another scripture that comes to mind is John 8:31-59

And yet another here.

[font=Verdana']10[/font] I appeal to you, dear brothers and sisters, by the authority of our Lord Jesus Christ, to live in harmony with each other. Let there be no divisions in the church. Rather, be of one mind, united in thought and purpose.[font=Verdana']11[/font] For some members of Chloe’s household have told me about your quarrels, my dear brothers and sisters.[font=Verdana']12[/font] Some of you are saying, “I am a follower of Paul.” Others are saying, “I follow Apollos,” or “I follow Peter, ” or “I follow only Christ.”[font=Verdana']13[/font] Has Christ been divided into factions? Was I, Paul, crucified for you? Were any of you baptized in the name of Paul? Of course not!
1 Cor 1:10-13 (NLT)

Religion is such a cruel tyrant.

None of your verses have anything to do with the article. What confuses non-Catholics is that James had local jurisdiction and made a temporary ruling on the abstaining from eating meat so the meat eating Gentiles would not offend the non-meat eating Jews. this ruling was later rescinded but it is not recorded in the bible. If it had not been rescinded none of us would be eating at MacDonalds. Paul said, "if it offends your brother to eat meat, then don't eat it." It's not the rule that matters here, its the consequences. The Jewish Christians were grossly offended by the Gentile Christians and it was dividing the Church. Peter's role as "the first among equals" does not conflict with James being the 1st bishop of Jerusalem. And none of James successors held the Chair of Peter, they held the Chair of James. All of James successors to the 'diocese' of Jerusalem are recorded up to this very day, and none of them held the Chair of Peter, they held the Chair of James. And none of them were Protestants.

List of James successors from the Association of Hebrew Catholics.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
None of your verses have anything to do with the article. What confuses non-Catholics is that James had local jurisdiction and made a temporary ruling on the abstaining from eating meat so the meat eating Gentiles would not offend the non-meat eating Jews. this ruling was later rescinded but it is not recorded in the bible. If it had not been rescinded none of us would be eating at MacDonalds. Paul said, "if it offends your brother to eat meat, then don't eat it." It's not the rule that matters here, its the consequences. The Jewish Christians were grossly offended by the Gentile Christians and it was dividing the Church. Peter's role as "the first among equals" does not conflict with James being the 1st bishop of Jerusalem. And none of James successors held the Chair of Peter, they held the Chair of James. All of James successors to the 'diocese' of Jerusalem are recorded up to this very day, and none of them held the Chair of Peter, they held the Chair of James. And none of them were Protestants.

List of James successors from the Association of Hebrew Catholics.

Oh but they do, they have everything to do with it. They confront the carnal attitude of the argument you have made concerning the RC being directly linked to Peter. Like Paul said it is pure silliness to argue over who is a follower of who. We should all be disciples of Christ and be led by HolySpirit.
But as I have said many times religion is an ugly tyrant and in most cases blinds those who are slaves to it.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's pure silliness to deny Peter's role as earthly head of the Church, and to take that role upon oneself. And you say we are carnal.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
It's pure silliness to deny Peter's role as earthly head of the Church, and to take that role upon oneself. And you say we are carnal.

Hi kepha,

The proposition you make, (as I understand it), that those who have received the Holy Spirit are somehow making themselves their own god, makes no sense in light of the fact that over a hundred people received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, and only eleven of them had been chosen for/by Jesus, to whom to reveal many things. Nine of them were excluded from some of what the other three where shown.

There is a truth, that each person is his own god until he relinquishes to the Lord Jesus Christ, that throne from which he used to rule his life. We receive the Holy Spirit as God's sign that we have acquiesced to His gospel in all its fulness. John 12:24.

The Holy Spirit is the eternal Spirit. In Him it is always now - I AM. This is the Spirit which was shed forth upon believers-in-Jesus-Christ on the day of Pentecost, and the same Spirit which is shed forth upon believers-in-Jesus-Christ yesterday, today and tomorrow - until this age ends. We are not making ourselves God. We are submitting ourselves to God in the same way the hundred and twenty disciples did.

The idea that the Holy Spirit was somehow contained by the twelve, and that these twelve were given by God to control the flow of the Holy Spirit to the next generation, simply is not so. God directs His Spirit. Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helps our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searches the hearts knows what [is] the mind of the Spirit, because he makes intercession for the saints [regular believers] according to [the will of] God.

Peter was no more 'head of the Church' for having received the Holy Spirit, than anyone else who has received the Holy Spirit. There are many other spirits which can be received, which support religious poses, but they come not from God the Father, as at Pentecost. Acts 1:4

As Peter said: Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and [so is] also the Holy Ghost, whom God has given to them that obey him.

God is not mocked. Acts 12:21 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration to them. 22 And the people gave a shout, [saying, It is] the voice of a god, and not of a man. 23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost. 24 But the word of God grew and multiplied.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi kepha,

The proposition you make, (as I understand it), that those who have received the Holy Spirit are somehow making themselves their own god, makes no sense in light of the fact that over a hundred people received the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, and only eleven of them had been chosen for/by Jesus, to whom to reveal many things. Nine of them were excluded from some of what the other three where shown.

No, that is not my 'proposition' at all.

There is a truth, that each person is his own god until he relinquishes to the Lord Jesus Christ, that throne from which he used to rule his life. We receive the Holy Spirit as God's sign that we have acquiesced to His gospel in all its fulness. John 12:24.

John 12:24 doesn't say that.

The Holy Spirit is the eternal Spirit. In Him it is always now - I AM. This is the Spirit which was shed forth upon believers-in-Jesus-Christ on the day of Pentecost, and the same Spirit which is shed forth upon believers-in-Jesus-Christ yesterday, today and tomorrow - until this age ends. We are not making ourselves God. We are submitting ourselves to God in the same way the hundred and twenty disciples did.

The idea that the Holy Spirit was somehow contained by the twelve, and that these twelve were given by God to control the flow of the Holy Spirit to the next generation, simply is not so.

I never said it was.

Peter was no more 'head of the Church' for having received the Holy Spirit, than anyone else who has received the Holy Spirit. There are many other spirits which can be received, which support religious poses, but they come not from God the Father, as at Pentecost. Acts 1:4

Do you mean Peter received other spirits supporting religious poses?

With only 2 exceptions, why do you think Peter is always named first whenever the Apostles are named?

Why did John wait at the tomb's entrance so that Peter could enter first? John 20:5-6

As Peter said: Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and [so is] also the Holy Ghost, whom God has given to them that obey him.

Amen. It is common in scripture for Peter to speak on behalf of all the Apostles.

Primacy of Peter

Peter's Primacy

http://www.catholic....in-matthew-1618

God is not mocked. Acts 12:21 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration to them. 22 And the people gave a shout, [saying, It is] the voice of a god, and not of a man. 23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost. 24 But the word of God grew and multiplied.

These verses have nothing to do with the Holy Spirit or Peter.
  • Having the Holy Spirit does not give you the authority to make rulings affecting all Christians.
  • Those who do make such rulings are prevented by the Holy Spirit from teaching errors. (such as the canon of the New Testament)
  • gifts of the Holy Spirit are for the edification of the body of believers, to those Christians who believe in them. (except tongues for private prayer) Not having gifts does not mean you are not a Christian.
You are totally confused on these three points. All Christians have the Holy Spirit, but not all Christians manifest gifts, and not all Christians are ordained, and not all ordinations are valid.

You can have the gift of pastoring, but that is not greater than the office of pastor. This is one of many reasons why "Holy Spirit" Christians are so sadly divided. Everybody is the boss except the pastor.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
The qualifications for apostolic succession are clearly set forth in Acts_1:21-22 - "Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection."

The conditions:
1. Witness of Jesus' baptism and descension of the Spirit
2. Witness to all Jesus teachings, miracles and demonstrations of Divinity
3. Witness of the ascension
4. Witness of Jesus' resurrection

There were 120 persons assembled (Acts_1:15), and of these, only two met these basic qualifications but they selected one.

Act_1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

How could a successor to Judas be more important than the successor to Peter? Peter's pretended successor was neither presented in prophecy, as was Judas', nor was his election recorded in the Scriptures, as was Judas'! Only "Joseph - called Barsabbas, who was surnamed Justus - and Matthias" met the qualifications. And after that generation passed, no other person could qualify for successor to an apostle - if such were needed.

In Acts_12:1,2 - another of the apostles, "James the brother of John," was killed by Herod - but there is no selection of a successor!

Matthew_20:20-28 - The mother of James and John seeks positions of honor and authority for her two sons in Jesus' kingdom: "

But Jesus answered and said, "Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able. And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father. And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;"

3Jn_1:9 "I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not." So, James and John wanted the same for themselves.

Christ denied that it was His right to assign positions of honor: "It is not mine to give..." and such a position is still open for decision, even after Matthew_16:18!

"When the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation..." and the ten included Peter - who should not have been angry with James and John, rather should have chided them, for he would have known that Jesus had already conferred the "FIRST PLACE" to him! But that did not happen and so rather than correct as he should have done, Peter, like the rest of the disciples was angry.

"Not so shall it be among you" - the rulers of the Gentiles have positions of sovereignty and authority - and they exercise the same over their people.

1. "But among you," i.e., the apostolic college, there shall be no elevation of one over the other!
2. There is, therefore, no justification for any vying for position among the apostles - for they are EQUALS.
3. The real "first" and most "honored" in Christ's kingdom is he who is the great servant.

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:" Eph_4:11-12

Not a pope or cardinal in the list.

The purpose of the combined talents of all these ministers is to teach the Word to the saints - it is not jurisdictional or administrative, simply pedagogical in nature.

"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues" 1Co_12:28

"FIRST Apostles" - there is none above an apostle and all apostles share in the same honors, duties, privileges and responsibilities!

There is no place for cardinals or popes in this list of church "offices!"

Other such figures depicting the church preclude a vicar for Christ. The "vine and the branches" - each branch is en-grafted into the vine and has the same relationship to the vine as every other branch. (John_15:1-8).

The "husband and the wife" does not allow for proxy husbands or vicar to carry out husband's duty to the wife.
Eph_5:22-33 is a beautiful presentation of Christ's relation to the church - and the idea of a pope completely destroys the dignity and office expressed in that relationship!

And certainly, we are not to bow to one another or kiss anyone's hand or ring if we are all equals before Jesus Christ.

2Co_11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. (No comment needed for this verse)

1Pe_2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Axehead

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
The qualifications for apostolic succession are clearly set forth in Acts_1:21-22 - "Wherefore of these men which have companied with us all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection."

The conditions:
1. Witness of Jesus' baptism and descension of the Spirit
2. Witness to all Jesus teachings, miracles and demonstrations of Divinity
3. Witness of the ascension
4. Witness of Jesus' resurrection

There were 120 persons assembled (Acts_1:15), and of these, only two met these basic qualifications but they selected one.

Act_1:26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

How could a successor to Judas be more important than the successor to Peter? Peter's pretended successor was neither presented in prophecy, as was Judas', nor was his election recorded in the Scriptures, as was Judas'! Only "Joseph - called Barsabbas, who was surnamed Justus - and Matthias" met the qualifications. And after that generation passed, no other person could qualify for successor to an apostle - if such were needed.

In Acts_12:1,2 - another of the apostles, "James the brother of John," was killed by Herod - but there is no selection of a successor!

Matthew_20:20-28 - The mother of James and John seeks positions of honor and authority for her two sons in Jesus' kingdom: "

But Jesus answered and said, "Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able. And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father. And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren. But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them. But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;"

3Jn_1:9 "I wrote unto the church: but Diotrephes, who loveth to have the preeminence among them, receiveth us not." So, James and John wanted the same for themselves.

Christ denied that it was His right to assign positions of honor: "It is not mine to give..." and such a position is still open for decision, even after Matthew_16:18!

"When the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation..." and the ten included Peter - who should not have been angry with James and John, rather should have chided them, for he would have known that Jesus had already conferred the "FIRST PLACE" to him! But that did not happen and so rather than correct as he should have done, Peter, like the rest of the disciples was angry.

"Not so shall it be among you" - the rulers of the Gentiles have positions of sovereignty and authority - and they exercise the same over their people.

1. "But among you," i.e., the apostolic college, there shall be no elevation of one over the other!
2. There is, therefore, no justification for any vying for position among the apostles - for they are EQUALS.
3. The real "first" and most "honored" in Christ's kingdom is he who is the great servant.

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:" Eph_4:11-12

Not a pope or cardinal in the list.

The purpose of the combined talents of all these ministers is to teach the Word to the saints - it is not jurisdictional or administrative, simply pedagogical in nature.

"And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues" 1Co_12:28

"FIRST Apostles" - there is none above an apostle and all apostles share in the same honors, duties, privileges and responsibilities!

Other such figures depicting the church preclude a vicar for Christ. The "vine and the branches" - each branch is en-grafted into the vine and has the same relationship to the vine as every other branch. (John_15:1-8).

The "husband and the wife" does not allow for proxy husbands or vicar to carry out husband's duty to the wife.
Eph_5:22-33 is a beautiful presentation of Christ's relation to the church - and the idea of a pope completely destroys the dignity and office expressed in that relationship!

And certainly, we are not to bow to one another or kiss anyone's hand or ring if we are all equals before Jesus Christ.

2Co_11:2 For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. (No comment needed for this verse)

1Pe_2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

Axehead

[ 2 Cor.5:1 ] [ Heb. 5:1 ] [ Heb. 2:17 ] the apostles ordained replacements i.e. Bishops as in [1 Peter 2:25 ] Paul, Barnabas, Timothy, Titus and Matthias [ Acts 13:3, 14:22, 1:24-26 and Titus 1:5 ] [ Luke 10: 16 ] [ calling priests "father " [ 1 Cor. 4:14-15 ]
Jesus commissions His first priests [ Matt. 28:18-20 ] Jesus wanted His sanctifying work" to continue" on earth [ 2 Cor. 5:20 ] Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Feed my lambs...... feed my sheep .... feed my sheep " [ John 21:15-17 ]

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Many so-called "christian" religions will take verses out of the Bible to build entire denominations on which clearly have no relation to the practice of the early Church or the Spirit of Christ. In so doing, they co-op the Headship of Christ on earth and in so doing, ignore Jesus Christ's admonition to Jame's and John's mother.

Mar 10:40 But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared.

Jesus did not abdicated His headship and shepherding on earth and give it to another.

2Co_2:17 For we are not as many, which corrupt the word of God: but as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God speak we in Christ.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Jesus wanted His sanctifying work" to continue" on earth

And so He sends the same Holy Spirit into the hearts of those who have received Christ as Saviour, and Christ gives spiritual gifts.

1 Corinthians 12:'... no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost. 4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which works all in all.

7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal. 8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another [divers] kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11 But all these works that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and has many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether [we be] Jews or Gentiles, whether [we be] bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many.

Ephesians 4:13 - 18 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: 14 That we be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, [and] cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; but speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head - Christ - from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplies, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, makes increase of the body to the edifying of itself in love.

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart.

There is no question of whether God wanted His work to continue. Of course He did, and He is the cause of it all. It is done on His terms, and no other.

Men may organise themselves into structures with rules and hierarchies, but God is marching on with His plan, His way, in His time.

Hi Axehead,

I'm slightly bemused by this apposition and would like to re-interpret it.

The incident with James and John came first (assisted by their mother making the request), before the cross, and Jesus tells them they don't know what spirit they are of, and asks if they can undergo the baptism He is to be baptised with, which they say, 'Yes'. And He agrees.

That baptism (of fire) was His death. All of us will die and will have to pass through this 'fire'.

The 'spirit' they were of, was Satan, who wants to be God and to occupy the highest place.

By the time the church existed in which Diotrephes had a role, (of whom John wrote), we know Pentecost has occurred, but this man still has the attitude of Satan, not having understood some of Jesus' basic teachings about servanthood, and the last being first.

It is almost incredible that so soon, a 'church leader' would not 'receive' an apostle who'd known Jesus Christ in the flesh. 2 Cor 5:16

Hi kepha,

me
There is a truth, that each person is his own god until he relinquishes to the Lord Jesus Christ, that throne from which he used to rule his life. We receive the Holy Spirit as God's sign that we have acquiesced to His gospel in all its fulness. John 12:24

kepha
John 12:24 doesn't say that.

I thought you might be familiar with the other scriptures which fill out the picture. Here are two of them:

Romans 6: 2 - 9 '... How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? 3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death? Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also of resurrection: knowing this, that our old man is crucified with [him], that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. For he that is dead is freed from sin. Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him: knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

1 Corinthians 15:35 But some will say, How are the dead raised up? and with what body do they come? 36 [Thou] fool, that which thou sowest is not quickened, except it die: 37 And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other: 38 But God gives it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.

39 All flesh [is] not the same flesh: but [there is] one [kind of] flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, [and] another of birds. 40 [There are] also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial [is] one, and the [glory] of the terrestrial [is] another. 41 [There is] one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for [one] star differs from [another] star in glory. 42 So also [is] the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption: 43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power: 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body. 45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that [was] not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual. 47 The first man [is] of the earth, earthy: the second man [is] the Lord from heaven. 48 As [is] the earthy, such [are] they also that are earthy: and as [is] the heavenly, such [are] they also that are heavenly. 49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly. 50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.

I hope you can see the connection with John 12:24, easily enough, now.

me

kepha
Do you mean Peter received other spirits supporting religious poses?

No. I mean that people who don't receive the Holy Spirit may receive a religious spirit instead, or, have one already.

What Peter received with the other disciples on the day of Pentecost had been prophesied in the OT, and by Jesus.

Luke 24:49 And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

With only 2 exceptions, why do you think Peter is always named first whenever the Apostles are named?

There are more than two places where apostles are named, where Peter is not mentioned.

Why did John wait at the tomb's entrance so that Peter could enter first? John 20:5-6

Peter had left first, and it was probably a mark of respect for Peter's age, as much as that John didn't need to be convinced that He was alive.

Amen. It is common in scripture for Peter to speak on behalf of all the Apostles.

So when Peter said,
'And we are his witnesses of these things; and [so is] also the Holy Ghost, whom God has given to them that obey him', do you believe him?

wayseer

Oct 28, 2012
Excuse me coming in at this point but this statement is worthy of a response.

Indeed not but then a whole lot of others things are missing which we take for grated these days.

Besides, it seems that Paul is re-working the meaning of the word 'apostle'. As someone pointed out earlier an 'apostle' was one who had been selected by Jesus himself during his earthly ministry.

The Church, despite the enormous baggage it brings with it, is the most remarkable institution known to humanity. It has, in spite of itself, has survive two millennia and is still a powerful political, economic and spiritual force in the world today.

Whether the Church is governed by popes or patriarchs matters little - names as such polysemic things.

The problem faced by the fledging Church was how to carry on once the Apostles passed beyond the human vale. How was the various 'churches' to be organized? Could they be organized into some organic whole? What was common amongst them if anything be held in common? And, how does one go about determining just what is is that drives the various churches forward? At the same time we have to remember that there were many 'christianities' in circulation in those early years.

Not an easy task when it was to one's disadvantage to be identified with this new 'sect'.

The text called the Didache throws some light on the problem and how one 'church', or community' went about solving these issues.

So the whole question of whether the Church is the keeper of the Flame is moot (I cannot accept the use of the word 'source' in the OP - certainly the Church is not the 'source' of truth). The Church, for better or worst, has accepted the role and has, despite the obvious limitations, bought the Gospels thus far. What we do next is up to this generation.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Wayseer,

Interesting post. One sentence I'd like to comment on is

As someone pointed out earlier an 'apostle' was one who had been selected by Jesus himself during his earthly ministry.

I don't know who suggested that only during His earthly ministry could Jesus select apostles, but I cannot agree, although clearly He did send the disciples, the seventy and the eleven, again after His resurrection, 'as [in the same manner as] the Father had sent' Him. John 20:21.

But then there are the verses from 1 Cor 12, quoted above in post #169, which go along with 2 Cor 5:16 and Ephesians 4:1 - 16.

These are backed up by verses like Acts 13:1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and Romans 16:7. Note Paul's 'in the Lord'; and, 2 Tim 1:6, 7, 8, 9.

wayseer

Oct 28, 2012
Hi Wayseer,

Interesting post.

Hi - and Thank you

I have not waded through all the texts - you might want to enlighten me.

Despite Paul's reworking of the himself as an Apostle he was never recognized as an Apostle - otherwise the Church would have a tradition of 13 Apostles.

Clearly the number is significant - it relates to the tribes of Israel. Jesus selected that number for that purpose.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Excuse me coming in at this point but this statement is worthy of a response.

[/color][/b]

Indeed not but then a whole lot of others things are missing which we take for grated these days.

Besides, it seems that Paul is re-working the meaning of the word 'apostle'. As someone pointed out earlier an 'apostle' was one who had been selected by Jesus himself during his earthly ministry.

The Church, despite the enormous baggage it brings with it, is the most remarkable institution known to humanity. It has, in spite of itself, has survive two millennia and is still a powerful political, economic and spiritual force in the world today.

Whether the Church is governed by popes or patriarchs matters little - names as such polysemic things.

The problem faced by the fledging Church was how to carry on once the Apostles passed beyond the human vale. How was the various 'churches' to be organized? Could they be organized into some organic whole? What was common amongst them if anything be held in common? And, how does one go about determining just what is is that drives the various churches forward? At the same time we have to remember that there were many 'christianities' in circulation in those early years.

Not an easy task when it was to one's disadvantage to be identified with this new 'sect'.

The text called the Didache throws some light on the problem and how one 'church', or community' went about solving these issues.

So the whole question of whether the Church is the keeper of the Flame is moot (I cannot accept the use of the word 'source' in the OP - certainly the Church is not the 'source' of truth). The Church, for better or worst, has accepted the role and has, despite the obvious limitations, bought the Gospels thus far. What we do next is up to this generation.

Hi wayseer,

The wheat and the tares grow up together and God will separate them. That is why the scriptures say: "Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 2Ti_2:19

One thing we learn from all the stories in the OT is that God's "building" and His "city" will not be started, maintained or completed by men's ingenuity and cleverness.

Zec_4:6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.

We also know from history that God has had a people (remnant) in every generation and this generation is no different. God has a people today whose hearts are "perfect toward Him" (2 Ch 16:9).

The fact that there is a remnant of believers on the earth today who are faithful to Jesus Christ testifies not to man's power and might and ingenuity but to the keeping and saving power of the Lord Jesus Christ who said, "I, I, I, I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". The ONE who said I WILL has always remained the Head of His Church and He has kept His promise to build HIS church and He directs and leads and guides His Church in every generation by the Holy Spirit. Despite the religious tares that are being sown to make the "ground" so dense with "weeds" that no wheat can grow, sprigs of wheat are still shooting up here and there. The tares greatly outnumber the wheat and that according to Scripture, but the wheat is still there and new shoots are still coming up.

1Pe_3:12 For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

Heb_13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Axehead

Regarding Paul,
1Co 15:7 After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
1Co 15:8 And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
1Co 15:9 For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
1Co 15:10 But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Hi Axehead,

I'm slightly bemused by this apposition and would like to re-interpret it.

The incident with James and John came first (assisted by their mother making the request), before the cross, and Jesus tells them they don't know what spirit they are of, and asks if they can undergo the baptism He is to be baptised with, which they say, 'Yes'. And He agrees.

That baptism (of fire) was His death. All of us will die and will have to pass through this 'fire'.

The 'spirit' they were of, was Satan, who wants to be God and to occupy the highest place.

By the time the church existed in which Diotrephes had a role, (of whom John wrote), we know Pentecost has occurred, but this man still has the attitude of Satan, not having understood some of Jesus' basic teachings about servanthood, and the last being first.

It is almost incredible that so soon, a 'church leader' would not 'receive' an apostle who'd known Jesus Christ in the flesh. 2 Cor 5:16

Hi dragonfly,

Yes, I realize Diotrophes came after and I should have said they (James and John) exhibited the same spirit as Diotrephes. You see, until we all embrace the cross and put our religious flesh to death, any piece of it still unsubmitted to the Lordship of Christ, will want to "help" Him out or sometimes, just move Him to the side and take over.

Diotrephes is a picture of the religious system today, who has nothing but disdain for God's people. The only thing that matters to Diotrephes is himself and his "church" and that everyone bows down to him. Diotrephes is not a true church "leader" though he has his own church. Not receiving an Apostle of Jesus Christ should tip everyone off to what spirit was manifesting in Diotrephes.

The spirit of Diotrephes is still here today, permeating the religious system which has disdain and hatred for simple, followers of Christ. Diotrephes sets himself over others as their authority and when a true saint of God come near him, he knows he will be exposed so he lashes out at the man of God.

3Jn 1:10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

Spirit of Diotrephes:
Loves preeminence among men (in other words he is the head, the "big cheese")
Prates against God's people with malicious words.
Not content with what God has been allotted to him. (He wants it all).
Does not receive the brethren (because they don't flatter and bow down to him)
Forbids others (under his control) to fellowship with the brethren
Casts true brethren out of his church.

This is a picture of religious men.

Joh_13:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

The Spirit of God is still saying today, to "[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Come to the Lord Jesus with your whole heart and do not be joined to anything else in your heart but Him."[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Axehead[/background]

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Axehead,

Yes, I realize Diotrophes came after and I should have said they (James and John) exhibited the same spirit as Diotrephes. You see, until we all embrace the cross and put our religious flesh to death, any piece of it still unsubmitted to the Lordship of Christ, will want to "help" Him out or sometimes, just move Him to the side and take over.

Diotrephes is a picture of the religious system today, who has nothing but disdain for God's people. The only thing that matters to Diotrephes is himself and his "church" and that everyone bows down to him. Diotrephes is not a true church "leader" though he has his own church. Not receiving an Apostle of Jesus Christ should tip everyone off to what spirit was manifesting in Diotrephes.

The spirit of Diotrephes is still here today, permeating the religious system which has disdain and hatred for simple, followers of Christ. Diotrephes sets himself over others as their authority and when a true saint of God come near him, he knows he will be exposed so he lashes out at the man of God.

3Jn 1:10 Wherefore, if I come, I will remember his deeds which he doeth, prating against us with malicious words: and not content therewith, neither doth he himself receive the brethren, and forbiddeth them that would, and casteth them out of the church.

Spirit of Diotrephes:
Loves preeminence among men (in other words he is the head, the "big cheese")
Prates against God's people with malicious words.
Not content with what God has been allotted to him. (He wants it all).
Does not receive the brethren (because they don't flatter and bow down to him)
Forbids others (under his control) to fellowship with the brethren
Casts true brethren out of his church.

Thank you for acknowledging and clarifying.

You suggested in an earlier post, that there were only two disciples who had been sufficient eyewitnesses to Jesus ministry, to stand as possible replacements for Judas, while I have heard the alternative case made: that not only were there over a hundred other disciples gathering, but Jesus had been seen by over five hundred after His resurrection. However, possibly these two had also been amongst the seventy as well as having seen Him alive before His asension; then, in keeping with the general principle of having leaders whose authority and faithfulness is recognised by those who know them, these two men became the most prominent candidates. You might like to consider that possibility, though it cannot be proved.

Hi wayseer,

Despite Paul's reworking of the himself as an Apostle he was never recognized as an Apostle - otherwise the Church would have a tradition of 13 Apostles.

Sure, there is no doubt that Jesus had twelve disciples before He died, corresponding to the twelve tribes of Israel, (despite that Reuben was disinherited and replaced by Joseph's two sons for the purpose of inheriting the land), but the very fact God chose 'the son of perdition' to be a disciple, ought to alert us to the fact He is far above our childish human and earthly reasoning. He allowed Matthias to be chosen to replace Judas, knowing all the while he intended Paul to be an apostle. Not only Paul, but Barnabas became an apostle at the same time as Paul.

I really really don't think to make a case out of the lateness of Paul's call, which is clearly documented in Acts and referred to by Paul in his epistles, reduces the relevance of Paul's apostolic ministry, especially when he publicly recognises apostles who entered there ministry between that of the eleven and himself; and I am not implying he was the true 'twelfth apostle' as some do. I quoted Romans 16:7 for the purpose of showing that Paul was not the thirteenth apostle, although he was chosen for an historically groundbreaking and prominent ministry. Nevertheless, we have the acknowledgment of Paul himself, that there were others spreading the gospel. Who was sent to the places to which Paul was forbidden by the Holy Ghost?

1 Corinthians 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and [as] the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

Galatians 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. [James, the Lord's brother, was an apostle.]

1 Thessalonians 1:1 Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, to the church of the Thessalonians...' 1 Thessalonians 2:5 For neither at any time used we flattering words, as ye know, nor a cloke of covetousness; God [is] witness: 6 Nor of men sought we glory, neither of you, nor [yet] of others, when we might have been burdensome, as the apostles of Christ. 7 But we were gentle among you, even as a nurse cherisheth her children: 8 So being affectionately desirous of you, we were willing to have imparted to you, not the gospel of God only, but also our own souls, because ye were dear to us. 9 For ye remember, brethren, our labour and travail: for labouring night and day, because we would not be chargeable to any of you, we preached to you the gospel of God.

Romans 15:20 Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation:

Romans 16:7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

The NT shows us that neither Paul nor the twelve were possessive about their apostolic calling, and, they recognised others who had been called by God into the same ministry. Neither Ephesians 4:11 nor 1 Corinthians 12:28, 29, indicate limitations upon the number of apostles.

wayseer

Oct 28, 2012
Hi wayseer

Hi Axehead, Thank you for your comments.

My point was that after the Apostles had departed this earthly existence there had to be structure constructed to carry on the tradition of teaching. And an institution is a poor substitute for the real thing - but that is all we have.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Hi Axehead, Thank you for your comments.

My point was that after the Apostles had departed this earthly existence there had to be structure constructed to carry on the tradition of teaching. And an institution is a poor substitute for the real thing - but that is all we have.

Hi Wayseer,

There is much more than the religious structure you are seeing with your eyes, today. There has ALWAYS been another "structure" yet it is not made with brick and stones and wood. It is not prominent and seen like the religious structure, it does not vaunteth itself, nor array itself with the riches and honor of the world, nor seeks to be "lords" over men imposing it's will on them. This is the true Body of Christ that is "following the Lamb whithersoever He goeth" and it is a living, breathing "structure". This Body receives life by the Head (Jesus) and it is organized and directed and led by God to survive centuries of torment and persecution by the religious structure.

Two threads run from Genesis to Revelation. The True people of God starting with Abel and the False religionists, starting with Cain who spurn God's sacrifice and stubbornly and pridefully offer up the works of their own hands.

Rev 18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

Thankfully, the visible, religious structure is not all that we have today. It will all come down to this which has nothing to do with religious structures.

1Jn_5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

Axehead

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
Until all Christians worship the same Triune God under the leader our Lord intended us to follow, the pope of Rome, our use of terms such as Church will intersect but not mean the same thing. Protestants will express gratitude when non-Christians (and sometimes Catholics) have "entered the church," and Catholics will express gratitude when non-Christians (and sometimes Protestants) have "entered the Church." Our Lord Jesus did not say to Peter, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my churches." He said, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church " (Matt. 16:18)—this much all Christians can agree about this passage. Our Savior also called his Church a sheepfold, asserting that "there shall be one flock, one shepherd" (John 10:16). The Catholic Church is now and forever the visible body of Christ, the visible sign of God’s kingdom on earth. St. John Chrystostom wonderfully reminded the Christians of his era that the Church shall always be seen: "It is an easier thing for the sun to be quenched than for the Church to be made invisible."

"To it [the Church] belong all the saints: from Abel and Abraham and all the witnesses of hope whom the Old Testament tells us, through Mary, the Mother of the Lord, and the Lord’s apostles, through Thomas Becket and Thomas More all the way to Maximilian Kolbe, Edith Stein, and Pier Giorgio Frassati. The Church includes all the unknown and unnamed ‘whose faith is known to him alone,’ it embraces the men of all places and all times whose hearts stretch out in hope and love to Christ, the ‘author and finisher of faith,’ as the letter to the Hebrews calls him (12:2)."
—Pope Benedict XVI, Called to Communion, 154

"Peter, who is called ‘the rock on which the Church should be built,’ who also obtained ‘the keys of the kingdom of heaven. . .’"
—Tertullian, On the Prescription against the Heretics, 22 (c. A.D. 200)

"And Peter, on whom the Church of Christ is built, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail. . ."
—Origen, Commentary on John, 5:3 (A.D. 232)

"By this Spirit Peter spake that blessed word, ‘Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ By this Spirit the rock of the Church was established."
—Hippolytus, Discourse on the Holy Theophany, 9 (ante A.D. 235)

"‘Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church.’ . . . It is on him that he builds the Church and to him that he entrusts the sheep to feed. And although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single Chair, thus establishing by his own authority the source and hallmark of the (Church’s) oneness. . . . If a man does not fast to this oneness of Peter, does he still imagine that he still holds the faith? If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he still confidence that he is in the Church?"
—Cyprian, De Unitate Ecclesiae (Primacy text), 4 (A.D. 251)

"We have considered that it ought be announced that although all the Catholic Churches spread abroad through the world comprise one bridal chamber of Christ, nevertheless, the holy Roman Church has been placed at the forefront not by conciliar decisions of other churches but has received the primacy by the evangelic voice of our Lord and Savior, who says: ‘You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.’ . . . The first see, therefore, is that of Peter the apostle, that of the Roman Church, which has neither the stain nor blemish nor anything like it."
—Pope Damasus, Decree of Damasus, 3 (A.D. 382)

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Until all Christians worship the same Triune God under the leader our Lord intended us to follow, the pope of Rome, our use of terms such as Church will intersect but not mean the same thing. Protestants will express gratitude when non-Christians (and sometimes Catholics) have "entered the church," and Catholics will express gratitude when non-Christians (and sometimes Protestants) have "entered the Church." Our Lord Jesus did not say to Peter, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my churches." He said, "You are Peter, and on this rock I will build my Church " (Matt. 16:18)—this much all Christians can agree about this passage. Our Savior also called his Church a sheepfold, asserting that "there shall be one flock, one shepherd" (John 10:16). The Catholic Church is now and forever the visible body of Christ, the visible sign of God’s kingdom on earth. St. John Chrystostom wonderfully reminded the Christians of his era that the Church shall always be seen: "It is an easier thing for the sun to be quenched than for the Church to be made invisible."

"To it [the Church] belong all the saints: from Abel and Abraham and all the witnesses of hope whom the Old Testament tells us, through Mary, the Mother of the Lord, and the Lord’s apostles, through Thomas Becket and Thomas More all the way to Maximilian Kolbe, Edith Stein, and Pier Giorgio Frassati. The Church includes all the unknown and unnamed ‘whose faith is known to him alone,’ it embraces the men of all places and all times whose hearts stretch out in hope and love to Christ, the ‘author and finisher of faith,’ as the letter to the Hebrews calls him (12:2)."
—Pope Benedict XVI, Called to Communion, 154

"Peter, who is called ‘the rock on which the Church should be built,’ who also obtained ‘the keys of the kingdom of heaven. . .’"
—Tertullian, On the Prescription against the Heretics, 22 (c. A.D. 200)

"And Peter, on whom the Church of Christ is built, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail. . ."
—Origen, Commentary on John, 5:3 (A.D. 232)

"By this Spirit Peter spake that blessed word, ‘Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ By this Spirit the rock of the Church was established."
—Hippolytus, Discourse on the Holy Theophany, 9 (ante A.D. 235)

"‘Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my Church.’ . . . It is on him that he builds the Church and to him that he entrusts the sheep to feed. And although he assigns a like power to all the apostles, yet he founded a single Chair, thus establishing by his own authority the source and hallmark of the (Church’s) oneness. . . . If a man does not fast to this oneness of Peter, does he still imagine that he still holds the faith? If he deserts the Chair of Peter upon whom the Church was built, has he still confidence that he is in the Church?"
—Cyprian, De Unitate Ecclesiae (Primacy text), 4 (A.D. 251)

"We have considered that it ought be announced that although all the Catholic Churches spread abroad through the world comprise one bridal chamber of Christ, nevertheless, the holy Roman Church has been placed at the forefront not by conciliar decisions of other churches but has received the primacy by the evangelic voice of our Lord and Savior, who says: ‘You are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my Church, and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.’ . . . The first see, therefore, is that of Peter the apostle, that of the Roman Church, which has neither the stain nor blemish nor anything like it."
—Pope Damasus, Decree of Damasus, 3 (A.D. 382)

There is no successor to Jesus Christ. He rules His people from heaven through the Holy Spirit. Making popes is a human fabrication that seeks a temporal unity around a man-made understanding....that does NOT reflect the spiritual reality. Only Jesus Christ can hold sway over the church as a whole. Christians are in "churches" plural because we cannot see the whole picture...and we can only act locally. Read the NT and see how many times the apostles mention the plurality of the churches.

Men seek to impose their own type of unity. Take McDonalds or Burger King. These are man-made franchises that seek uniformity in 'LOOKS" and "feel". Now take a look at the RC franchises...same thing. They even have a dressed up clown to look at! ;) Can you say "Ronald McDonald"? Does it matter who wears his "priestly garb"? Is this not the exact same visual uniformity that is being perpetrated on an unsuspecting (and un-spiritual) people who still walk by sight and NOT by faith?

The type of unity that the churches possess can only be seen by being in the Spirit....because it is the Spirit that brings this unity. Read the NT to see this unity.

Even the influential "Father" Baron says quote

" We are such a visual and sensual religion" (Catholicism)

This statement unmasks the true nature of a religion that seeks to lure people astray through the lust of the eyes...smells and visual grandeur. But the true church moves by faith...not sight or sensual gratification.

The RC institution confuses visible unity with visual uniformity.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Would you show me the chapter and verse where God says "My children, you shall follow the pope of Rome"?

Amen, Gypsy. We follow Jesus Christ and He is alive and well and living in His Church.

The religious system that put Jesus to death still exists though they continue to morph into different religious entities. The head of the religious system is Satan and he and his false church have been persecuting the Lord's Church ever since they crucified the Lord of Glory. The Lord commands us to come out of the false religious system.