THE CHURCH

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All through the Bible people that are assembled together are called a church. It is an assembly of people.

I, personally , do not think of it as a man ran, man organized, group that has put a name on their group such as Baptist, or any other name. The church of His body, the assembly of the children of God in Christ, has no physical place. The head of it is in Heaven, not on this earth.

What I see is a Church, an assembly, that is a "Spiritual Church" (spiritual house 1 Peter 2:4 5) (Mark 14:58) (Acts 17:23 25) (2 Cor. 5:1) (Heb 9:11 and 24) made up of Christians. Since it consists of 'born again Christians' (see above) the true Church is as Jesus described a born again Christian in John 3:8.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
All through the Bible people that are assembled together are called a church. It is an assembly of people.

I, personally , do not think of it as a man ran, man organized, group that has put a name on their group such as Baptist, or any other name. The church of His body, the assembly of the children of God in Christ, has no physical place. The head of it is in Heaven, not on this earth.

What I see is a Church, an assembly, that is a "Spiritual Church" (spiritual house 1 Peter 2:4 5) (Mark 14:58) (Acts 17:23 25) (2 Cor. 5:1) (Heb 9:11 and 24) made up of Christians. Since it consists of 'born again Christians' (see above) the true Church is as Jesus described a born again Christian in John 3:8.

I see church as a group of spiritual believers together with disciples learning to be spiritual. But I agree that the church is living stones in the Spirit being built up in a heavenly place where God has laid down the cornerstone and foundation of His glorious temple.

D

Dave L

The Church is also called the Congregation of the Lord over 300 times in the OT. Congregation = Church.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Church is also called the Congregation of the Lord over 300 times in the OT. Congregation = Church.
Do you consider "congregation", a group of people in a building with a cross on the roof, or is it any group of people anywhere... this particular one just belonging to Christ? In other words, is "congregation", a specifically religious or Holy word to you?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I, personally , do not think of it as a man ran, man organized, group
Yet through out the bible people meet in organised groups, with door keepers, musians, priest, levites, deacons, bishops, etc etc etc and these organisations are approved by God.

The temple structure and organisation wasarranged by God. Paul set up the structure and organised many churches.

While the organisation church we attend each sunday does not speak with the authority of God, the preacher is speaking with the authority of God, if he is not why is he there?

Reactions: FHII

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yet through out the bible people meet in organised groups, with door keepers, musians, priest, levites, deacons, bishops, etc etc etc and these organisations are approved by God.

The temple structure and organisation wasarranged by God. Paul set up the structure and organised many churches.

While the organisation church we attend each sunday does not speak with the authority of God, the preacher is speaking with the authority of God, if he is not why is he there?

Paul didn't set up any structures nor did he set out to plant churches. He planted Christ. God gave the increase and the rest of it.

People try going around God trying to do His work for Him. The result is dead religious "structures." These are robotic empty and lifeless.

God's way needs to be taken seriously and tried.

Reactions: H. Richard

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Church has more than one meaning.

Not restricted to one religion that simply means a building where religious meetings take place.

The Bible differs. Church also means the totality of all Saints, living and dead.

Congregation can mean a gathering of local church members.

In the Old Testament it meant a gathering of Israel believers, which is not a church.

Gentiles did not belong to OT congregations.

Today those into replacement theology try to argue they mean the same thing when they do not.

One has to be careful not to define biblical words with secular definitions.

Dave L believes in replacement theology.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the broadest sense, the Church is comprised of all of God's children and is not defined by a specific denomination or a brick and mortar building.

However, it is still talking about an earthly and physical assembly with leadership. There is also a God ordained governmental structure involved.

That being said, I am not talking about world wide denominations. I am saying each Church has an organized structure. As for world wide denominations... They too should have one. What will make them false is not their govt structure, but purely false doctrine and the leaders letting true doctrine to be ignored.

Some scripture I would like to offer include (but not limited to):

Ephesians 4:11-13, 1 Corinthians 12:28, hebrews 10:25-26, Romans 10:13-14, ronans 13:1-7.

In short, folks tend to believe they don't need to go to a gathering under leadership. I beg to differ... I leave you with one more verse and ask you if you think "government" is talking about earthly leaders:

2 Peter 2:10 dignitieschiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they , selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the broadest sense, the Church is comprised of all of God's children and is not defined by a specific denomination or a brick and mortar building.

However, it is still talking about an earthly and physical assembly with leadership. There is also a God ordained governmental structure involved.

That being said, I am not talking about world wide denominations. I am saying each Church has an organized structure. As for world wide denominations... They too should have one. What will make them false is not their govt structure, but purely false doctrine and the leaders letting true doctrine to be ignored.

Some scripture I would like to offer include (but not limited to):

Ephesians 4:11-13, 1 Corinthians 12:28, hebrews 10:25-26, Romans 10:13-14, ronans 13:1-7.

In short, folks tend to believe they don't need to go to a gathering under leadership. I beg to differ... I leave you with one more verse and ask you if you think "government" is talking about earthly leaders:

2 Peter 2:10 dignitieschiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they , selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities.

And remember, all the leadership positions are from the local church only. No denominations.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And remember, all the leadership positions are from the local church only. No denominations.
For the most part yes. Traveling evangelists should be allowed. Also remember Paul was an Apostle and set up churches ranging from Antioch to Rome. He left locals in charge, but when Paul was in town...

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For the most part yes. Traveling evangelists should be allowed. Also remember Paul was an Apostle and set up churches ranging from Antioch to Rome. He left locals in charge, but when Paul was in town...

I agree but biblically they are never designated church leadership. There role is unique.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With evangelists, absolutely. No so with an apostle like Paul. The apostles are appointed first in the Church. Paul could be in Rome and he was still somewhat in charge at Corinth.

Of course, that only matters if you believe there are still apostles today. I do, but I don't want to go there just yet. I am more concerned with stating that Church leadership and attendance is important.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With evangelists, absolutely. No so with an apostle like Paul. The apostles are appointed first in the Church. Paul could be in Rome and he was still somewhat in charge at Corinth.

Of course, that only matters if you believe there are still apostles today. I do, but I don't want to go there just yet. I am more concerned with stating that Church leadership and attendance is important.

Today apostles are more commonly known as missionaries. They are important.

The role of the 12 apostles no longer exists.

For lower population areas, in example, traveling preachers are important.

I learned a lot from a traveling professor from a Bible college.

Interestingly, with modern technology, I believe Internet ministries are important. And places to fellowship like forums.

Reactions: Nancy

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I agree that nearly all believers gathered in homes and other public buildings for worship soon after Chris's departure. Although I believe that later, may be a few decades later, those that continued their worship in these buildings were ran by false teachers with believers and many fake believers in their pews or seats. Most true believers were found scattered in isolated, even obscure, hidden places and not in public view. They stayed out of the main-stream religious institutions that were and are ran today in the main by false teachers. It has not changed even today. Jesus knows where all his sheep are located. His ekklesia is always safe and they worship God without regard to the day of the week.

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: Nancy

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jesus once told a friend of mine, if you want to think of my "Church" as a building, than you are a brick in my Church.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

But the assembly is called ekklesia, a body of called out believers. The church is both local and worldwide.

D

Dave L

Church has more than one meaning.

Not restricted to one religion that simply means a building where religious meetings take place.

The Bible differs. Church also means the totality of all Saints, living and dead.

Congregation can mean a gathering of local church members.

In the Old Testament it meant a gathering of Israel believers, which is not a church.

Gentiles did not belong to OT congregations.

Today those into replacement theology try to argue they mean the same thing when they do not.

One has to be careful not to define biblical words with secular definitions.

Dave L believes in replacement theology.
You replace believing Israel AKA the Church with those who hate you and Christ more than anything. It's the reason they exist! Jesus abolishing circumcision forever removed them from Israel. Only by accepting Christ can any be reattached.

D

Dave L

Do you consider "congregation", a group of people in a building with a cross on the roof, or is it any group of people anywhere... this particular one just belonging to Christ? In other words, is "congregation", a specifically religious or Holy word to you?
If your city council holds a meeting, they hold a church. Or they congregate. The Church of Christ is the same only defined by their faith as his body.