The Covenant and The Sacrifice

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Covenant is the covenant made between Israel and God at Mount Horeb. The Sacrifice is the Sacrifice offered at Calvary.

Levitical sacrifices were offered according to the terms of the covenant to allow the death of an animal to substitute for the death of the Israelite who violated that covenant. In this way, the sin is "covered" because the man is allowed to continue to live as if he hadn't sinned, and in this way avoided dying in a state of unrighteousness.

And while illustrated aspects of what Jesus would do, it was not the same as what Jesus did. It's a better sacrifice.

Jesus' Sacrifice was not like that of the substitute animal. He a Man, Himself, and without sin, therefore under no obligation to die, He died nonetheless, and in fact, came at such a time as to make this the certain outcome!

But instead of a substitute, Jesus is the Door, and that doorway is a path through Jesus' death and resurrection.

Our rebirth, do you not know? Those who are immersed into Jesus are immersed into His death, buried with Him through immersion, that as He was raised from the dead, we also may walk in newness of life.

In Christ we aren't just getting our sin overlooked for the moment, until such a time as we sin again. Or even for life! It's not like, In Christ, our sins won't be seen, covered in the blood, can't see the sin. The the Levitical sacrifice works that way.

Rather, in Jesus, immersed into His death, we are dead, and in His resurrection we are new, to live new lives. The Levitical sacrifice had no power to change the person.

This is why Jesus' sacrifice is once for all. It separates you from the entire Levitical system by His death becoming your death, and it removes you from any need of any future system by His life becoming your life.

I have been crucified together with Christ, and yet I live! Yet not I, but Christ lives in me, and the life I live, I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me, and gave Himself, for me!

Much love!

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Covenant is the covenant made between Israel and God at Mount Horeb. The Sacrifice is the Sacrifice offered at Calvary.

Levitical sacrifices were offered according to the terms of the covenant to allow the death of an animal to substitute for the death of the Israelite who violated that covenant. In this way, the sin is "covered" because the man is allowed to continue to live as if he hadn't sinned, and in this way avoided dying in a state of unrighteousness.

And while illustrated aspects of what Jesus would do, it was not the same as what Jesus did. It's a better sacrifice.

Jesus' Sacrifice was not like that of the substitute animal. He a Man, Himself, and without sin, therefore under no obligation to die, He died nonetheless, and in fact, came at such a time as to make this the certain outcome!

But instead of a substitute, Jesus is the Door, and that doorway is a path through Jesus' death and resurrection.

Our rebirth, do you not know? Those who are immersed into Jesus are immersed into His death, buried with Him through immersion, that as He was raised from the dead, we also may walk in newness of life.

In Christ we aren't just getting our sin overlooked for the moment, until such a time as we sin again. And it's not like this is the same thing but lasts our whole lives. As if our sins won't be see, covered in the blood, can't see the sin, that's more like the Levitical sacrifice.

Rather, in Jesus, immersed into His death, we are dead, and in His resurrection we are new, to live new lives. The Levitical sacrifice had no power to change the person.

This is why Jesus' sacrifice is once for all. It separates you from the entire Levitical system by His death becoming your death, and it removes you from any need of any future system by His life becoming your life.

I have been crucified together with Christ, and yet I live! Yet not I, but Christ lives in me, and the life I live, I live by the faith of the Son of God, Who loved me, and gave Himself, for me!

Much love!

Sorry Marks, you could not be further from the truth.

You believe the promises, but your rhetoric and belief in the Pretrib theology tells us that you want to save your life above all else, and if we do that then we chose death instead.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry Marks, you could not be further from the truth.

You believe the promises, but your rhetoric and belief in the Pretrib theology tells us that you want to save your life above all else, and if we do that then we chose death instead.
Thank you for sharing your poor opinion of me with the rest! I'm certain it will edify!

:)

And so good to know your ability to see into my heart and mind, at what no one else besides you and Jesus can see!

And who else besides you is thinking that I just want to save my own skin?

I'm curious.

I wonder what really is being revealed here?

Much love!

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Marks, what was the covenant that Jesus was referring to in Matt. 13:52?

Is this not the Covenant that Christ came to refurbish so that we could have salvation?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marks, what was the covenant that Jesus was referring to in Matt. 13:52?

Matthew 13:52
Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.

?

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is indeed a substitute; while I will not say that the other things you said about it are untrue, @marks.

We are indeed crucified with Christ and it is no longer us who live but Christ who lives in us; and the life that we now live in the flesh we live by the faith of the Son of God, who love us and gave Himself for us.

That is absolutely true.

It is also absolutely true that Jesus is the propitiation for our sins; that He died in our place, taking the penalty for our wrongdoing.

God the Father poured out all of His wrath and justice against our wrongdoing on His Son Jesus Christ.

The other thing is also true.

Kobo

Mar 11, 2021
Chicago
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In Christ we aren't just getting our sin overlooked for the moment, until such a time as we sin again. Or even for life! It's not like, In Christ, our sins won't be seen, covered in the blood, can't see the sin. The the Levitical sacrifice works that way.

Much love!
I am not sure if you know this but Jesus Christ is the embodiment of the New Covenant that God promised us, a covenant separate from the Old Covenant and for a different purpose too.
Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, comes complete with about 8 blessings, 20 something curses, 2 promises(Eternal life, and Heaven or Hell), and about 46 commandments which those who will follow Him are expected to accept(trust) and obey, one seal(the Spirit of Truth).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure if you know this but Jesus Christ is the embodiment of the New Covenant that God promised us, a covenant separate from the Old Covenant and for a different purpose too.
Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, comes complete with about 8 blessings, 20 something curses, 2 promises(Eternal life, and Heaven or Hell), and about 46 commandments which those who will follow Him are expected to accept(trust) and obey, one seal(the Spirit of Truth).

What curse is there in Christ?

Much love!

Kobo

Mar 11, 2021
Chicago
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What curse is there in Christ?
Much love!
A majority of them are listed in Matthew 23. According to Jesus Christ, those curses are upon those who choose disobedience in Him.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A majority of them are listed in Matthew 23. According to Jesus Christ, those curses are upon those who choose disobedience in Him.
The curse is in the Law, while grace and truth came through Jesus.

Those who trust in Him are not under a curse.

Much love!

Kobo

Mar 11, 2021
Chicago
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The curse is in the Law, while grace and truth came through Jesus.

Those who trust in Him are not under a curse.

Much love!
Jesus Christ is the Law, the New Covenant which God promised to His people through His people. He is a Covenant, a contract, and like the Old Covenant(contract for those of the Kingdom of Israel), complete with a set of blessings, curses, etc. like I explained earlier.
Jesus Christ is the Eternal life(grace) and Truth(Spirit) that is the Word of God. His teachings are the very commandments of the New Covenant and it is only to those who accept(trust) and obey His teachings/commandments that He will abide in. Only those who accept(trust) and obey His commandments are promised the Kingdom of Heaven. All those who refuse to accept and obey His commandments will instead spend their eternity in the Kingdom of Hell.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is the Law, the New Covenant which God promised to His people through His people. He is a Covenant, a contract, and like the Old Covenant(contract for those of the Kingdom of Israel), complete with a set of blessings, curses, etc. like I explained earlier.
Jesus Christ is the Eternal life(grace) and Truth(Spirit) that is the Word of God. His teachings are the very commandments of the New Covenant and it is only to those who accept(trust) and obey His teachings/commandments that He will abide in. Only those who accept(trust) and obey His commandments are promised the Kingdom of Heaven. All those who refuse to accept and obey His commandments will instead spend their eternity in the Kingdom of Hell.
So then you teach a salvation earned by the keeping of law?

Much love!

Yan

Jun 15, 2020
City of David
the-land-of-hope.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Indonesia
The sacrifice itself was not part of covenant, as it was only the wrath of the enemy which don't like the weak or the captives to be released from their hands as God promises (Luke 4:16-20; Isaiah 49:24-26; Hosea 7:1-2). That will make us see how weak people always captivated by Evil One as their prisoners, and they will never be set free to live their life normaly as Lazarus was also never being released by them but the crucifixion of Jesus had released them as the Evil One always want the blood of innocent of the Son of Man, because the blood of Adam offsprings cannot fulfilled the perfection of the law as the offering to God (Hebrews 10:1-18; Malachi 1:6-14).
As the law of levitical had been misused by law makers and they were not judge fairly, as what we see the unfair judgement to Jesus using false flag propaganda and false allegation then those were also happened to us all. As the elites had made their unfair judgement to civilians but not for them as they're above the law. We see how Jesus was told that be careful of them who called themself as "I am He" and they made many miracles that will lead many into worshiping idols as the wealth of this world (Matthew 24:24).

Kobo

Mar 11, 2021
Chicago
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then you teach a salvation earned by the keeping of law?
Much love!
The Law is Jesus Christ, the New Covenant, that God Himself promised to His people. And according to Jesus Christ, those who obey His teaching as far as salvation is concerned will be saved. Those who do not keep(obey) His teaching will not be saved. You can call it "earned" if you like but the fact is Jesus Christ Himself, right there in the Gospels, tells us that only those who obey will be saved, and those who do will not be saved from Death.

And what is His teaching as far as Salvation is concerned? It is that if you believe in Him(believe He is who He says He is, are baptized, eat His flesh and drink His blood-Last supper), you are saved from the condemnation of sin(Death) and instead granted eternal life.

Jesus Christ commands that it is only those who accept(trust) and obey His commandments(teachings) that are truly His. The Law has spoken. The rule remains obedience, even in the New Covenant, Jesus Christ.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law has spoken. The rule remains obedience, even in the New Covenant, Jesus Christ.

Not so. The rule, if you will, is faith.

Romans 4:1-5 KJV
1) What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found?
2) For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3) For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4) Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5) But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Romans 4:13-16 KJV
13) For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
14) For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:
15) Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.
16) Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

Something to consider?

Much love!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

no the new covenant is with the church! The new Israel
Christ is mediator

Old Israel is of the bond woman
The church of the free the new or heavenly Jerusalem “our mother”
Gal 4

Offering of the liturgy!
The holy sacrifice of Jesus Christ!
Luke 22:19 “do this in memory of me”!

The Passover
(The new covenant Passover sacrifice of Christ)

“It is finished” not the redemptive work of Christ but the Passover sacrifice!

The cup refers to the Passover
The sacrifice prefigured the sacrifice of Christ
Christ was celebrating the Passover and changing it into the new covenant Passover in his own body and blood
Began in the last supper with the psalm then to the garden and ended with his death in the cross with the words commanded to be said at the consummation of the Passover sacrifice by the high priest “IT IS FINISHED”!!!

jn 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

1 cor 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
Notice the connection to his betrayal and death

1 cor 5:6-8
For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast

So
The Passover
(The new covenant Passover sacrifice of Christ)

The cup refers to the Passover
The sacrifice prefigured the sacrifice of Christ
Christ was celebrating the Passover and changing it into the new covenant Passover in his own body and blood
Began in the last supper with the psalm then to the garden and ended with his death in the cross with the words commanded to be said at the consummation of the Passover sacrifice by the high priest “IT IS FINISHED”!!!

jn 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

1 cor 10:16 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ?

1 cor 11:23 For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

24 And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

25 After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.
Notice the connection to his betrayal and death

1 cor 5:6-8
For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast

So the it in “it is finished” is not the work of redemption but the Passover sacrifice!

but something is missing we have to eat the lamb

jn 6:53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

“It is finished” the Passover sacrifice!
Consummation of the new Passover or the beginning of the new and eternal covenant!