The Cross and a gun???

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lukethreesix

Jan 11, 2014
Can we (true followers of Jesus) wear a cross and carry a gun? Yes, I know Peter and other disciples carried swords, but when drawn they were rebuked. "He who lives by the gun, will die by the gun." Is this not what Jesus would say today? I used to be a gun-carrying patriot, but the closer I get to Christ the deeper my guns get to the back of my closet.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
Luke22:36 "Then he said unto them,But now,he that has a purse,let him take it,and likewise his scrip:and he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment and buy one."

These are direct orders from our Lord and Saviour before he left us.

lukethreesix

Jan 11, 2014
Sell our coat, buy a gun, but don't draw? Did he change his mind and want us to start 'living by the sword"?
No! After he said this (Lk 22:36), Peter actually took it literally and bought one. Later in verse 49 he asks, "should we smite with the sword Lord?" Then draws it and cuts off a mans ear. Jesus rebukes him and heals the man. Does this sound like Christ wants us to literally sell our clothes and buy guns?

Reactions: Theophane

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
I felt the same way lukethreesix. I went and got my concealed weapons permit and all but I felt kind of phony. Like you said the closer I got to Jesus the less I felt the need for a gun. I mean a gun doesn't save you or kill you but it is God who saves lives and send the reaper. Can't stop him.

And my, when you're hit with that revelation from the Holy Spirit that angels are encamped around you because you fear Him. That's all the security you need. Blessings

Reactions: Theophane

SolaGratia

Dec 24, 2013
Northwest Washington State
I don't own a handgun, and have no intent to get one. I do have a shotgun, which I use to protect the chickens from varmints (not very effectively, I might add), but I know that's not what you're talking about.

In the church I pastored prior to where I am now, I was aware of a few people who carried during our Sunday morning worship service, including one of our sound techs. He was in law-enforcement (although obviously not on duty while at church), so I knew he was well-trained. He never brandished his gun -- I don't recall if I even ever saw it -- and most people in the body had no idea he was carrying. He certainly didn't go looking for trouble, and I don't think it would be fair to characterize him as "living by the sword."

However, if someone had come into a service and started shooting, I'm certain he would have done what was necessary to stop the shooter. And I have no problem with that. I know that scenario is quite unlikely, but it does happen, however rarely.

Although I am not interested myself in preparing for that kind of situation, I do not believe it is wrong for others to do so if they choose.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
lukethreesix said:
Sell our coat, buy a gun, but don't draw? Did he change his mind and want us to start 'living by the sword"?
No! After he said this (Lk 22:36), Peter actually took it literally and bought one. Later in verse 49 he asks, "should we smite with the sword Lord?" Then draws it and cuts off a mans ear. Jesus rebukes him and heals the man. Does this sound like Christ wants us to literally sell our clothes and buy guns?
While Jesus walked the earth,he was able to feed and protect his diciples,But when it was time for him to be crucified,he told them they would have to take care of themselves.If you chose to ignore or throw out his teachings,then thats your decision.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.-(John 18:36)

They were alone until the Comforter came.

pompadour

Staff member
Oct 5, 2011
minnesota USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lukethreesix said:
I was a Police officer for 26 yrs, ( carried a gun ) does that disqualify me from being a Christian? What else did Jesus say that we should not take literally?
Pomp.

Pelaides

Jul 30, 2012
Mr.Bride said:
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.-(John 18:36)

They were alone until the Comforter came.
Thats one of the reasons they were non violent they had the Holy Spirit to protect them.
Jesus went to his death willingly,He knew something greater was waiting for him.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
lukethreesix said:
Can we (true followers of Jesus) wear a cross and carry a gun? Yes, I know Peter and other disciples carried swords, but when drawn they were rebuked. "He who lives by the gun, will die by the gun." Is this not what Jesus would say today? I used to be a gun-carrying patriot, but the closer I get to Christ the deeper my guns get to the back of my closet.
I think you are missing something important ..... under normal circumstances a Christian would have no need or desire to carry a gun,

It is because of other dangerous people in society that we need to be armed.

Your focus should be on them , not the Christian.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have come to the conclusion that guns represent self reliance and indicate a faith problem. You can be a Christian and carry a gun, but I think their faith is weak.
pompadour said:
I was a Police officer for 26 yrs, ( carried a gun ) does that disqualify me from being a Christian? What else did Jesus say that we should not take literally?
Pomp.
That was your job, Pomp. You needed your full uniform, just like a soldier.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
...and what an awesome Police officer you would have been Pomp, I am sure... ^_^

"Then he said unto them,But now,he that has a purse,let him take it,and likewise his scrip:and he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment and buy one."
I think that there is more to this passage then just selling a garment and buying a sword.....Jesus was prophesying the beginning of tribulation for them as followers of the way. :huh:

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Folks, Jesus rebuked Peter for using a sword for the wrong reason. Having a sword for self-defense isn't spoken against in the Bible.

People tend to get Christ's instruction about personal insults (turn the other cheek) confused with an instruction about self-defense.

Risen Angel

Jul 23, 2012
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34

The war is coming, has already come, and has been won. Yet the battles are still to be fought. A God that is outside of time and yet within it; how else could he warn us of what is coming?

Any Christian that has faced the enemy knows that the 'sword' we are to buy is Christ. Sell not only your garment, but everything you have and everything you will have.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Question: If you're a Christian and you say "I need to take my gun to the mall with me because there's a lot of robbing and killing going on" is that cool?

To me you're lacking faith in God if you feel that way. Not saying you're not a Christian if you carry one because I carried for a while for self-defense. Just picture Jesus with a handgun for protection. See? Unless your job requires it or you're hunting or something there's no need to carry.

Who's protecting you, God or that .45? Those angels move faster than 1500fps. :)

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
Mr.Bride said:
Question: If you're a Christian and you say "I need to take my gun to the mall with me because there's a lot of robbing and killing going on" is that cool?

To me you're lacking faith in God if you feel that way. Not saying you're not a Christian if you carry one because I carried for a while for self-defense. Just picture Jesus with a handgun for protection. See? Unless your job requires it or you're hunting or something there's no need to carry.

Who's protecting you, God or that .45? Those angels move faster than 1500fps. :)
If there is a lot of robbing and killing going on at the mall, it isn't cool to go there without a gun.

If I carry a gun, my faith is still in God. Not the gun. But I have the gun to use, for God to give me the time and ability to use effectively.

Quantrill

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
In the Old Testament, David had plenty of faith in God, but he still used a sling-shot to kill Goliath.

Mr.Bride

Jan 31, 2013
The Southern Carolinas
Quantrill said:
If there is a lot of robbing and killing going on at the mall, it isn't cool to go there without a gun.

If I carry a gun, my faith is still in God. Not the gun. But I have the gun to use, for God to give me the time and ability to use effectively.

Quantrill
But there is a lot of robbing and killing going on.(especially in my parts)I wasn't pinpointing the mall, I was speaking in general. And speaking of mall shootings: Africa, Oregon, New Jersey, & Michigan to name a few. Blessings

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It is an offense to carry a gun in my country unless you are going hunting and have a license. The gun must kept in a secure place as well and not carried on your person [unless you are in the bush, hunting]. Robbers are usually chased and tackled [like a rugby tackle] to the ground and held until police arrive. If they are caught that is...