The Crucified Flesh

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I don't know if you will find this helpful . . . this is something I put together some years ago . . .

I see the diagram links are gone, but there is a PDF download with the text and graphics.

Much love!
Excellent, excellent piece of work @marks!! I have downloaded it to my computer and will "flesh" it out at my leisure--this is how I study, since I am a visual kind of character.
Thank you dearly brother
Johann.

• Love
Reactions: marks

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Mark , can you do me a huge favor .
IF you ever see me leading a church and i am telling them
THEY cant learn the bible for themselves but they need men or scholars or me to guide them .
WILL YOU PLEASE REBUKE ME .
in the meantime my advice to all is this . NEVER SIT Under a clown who says or thinks
folks cant learn the bible for themselves BUT NEED CERTAIN SCHOLARS or leaders to seduce them < OH WAIT i mean guide them .
A word of caution @amigo de christo there is nothing damnably wrong in reading scholarly work from others, since we have discerment to discern error from truth--we can only grow more and more in knowledge and wisdom and to rightly cutting straight the D'var of our Lord--I know there is a strong aversion from anything "commentary" but I am more interested in hermeneutical commentary/works and find it helpful.
That was just a thought, not rebuking you.
J.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A word of caution @amigo de christo there is nothing damnably wrong in reading scholarly work from others, since we have discerment to discern error from truth--we can only grow more and more in knowledge and wisdom and to rightly cutting straight the D'var of our Lord--I know there is a strong aversion from anything "commentary" but I am more interested in hermeneutical commentary/works and find it helpful.
J.
I do understand my friend . but i seem to notice many hermenutical commentaries
seem to justify certain teachings .
Example .
I notice those who believe in a certain ideal that will use greek words and hermes
to justify their own teachings . WHEN ITS SO PLAIN what is already written in the word , and that the very
word contradicts what they try and imply it to mean or not to mean . My friend so many do this .
I can use carnal wisdom to make something seem like it means one thing
when in truth it dont mean nor imply what i was trying to teach it did .
The bible really is not some hard book to grasp . It was not like the apostels
were sitting around writing in some hard and complex code that only a wise scholar could grasp .
THEY were actually LETTERS WRITTEN TO THE CHURCH . YES INSPIRED BY THE SPIRIT , but they were letters indeed .
And when folks try and make that which is quite easy to grasp complicated in order to fit an acryonm
or whatever agenda they got , THIS LAMB wont heed such .
As i am sure you understand and agree with as well .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent, excellent piece of work @marks!! I have downloaded it to my computer and will "flesh" it out at my leisure--this is how I study, since I am a visual kind of character.
Thank you dearly brother
Johann.
I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this once you've had a chance to digest.

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
J.
Ps , i didnt read what mark sent . I was just led to remind him of that which is true and simple .
Be encouraged my friend .

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will do, don't want to make any promise that I can't keep--one day at a time my brother in Christ.
J.
I'm still digesting your posts on Ephesians 4:24. Soon I should have a question for you! Really good stuff, btw.

:)

Much love!

Reactions: Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Example .
I notice those who believe in a certain ideal that will use greek words and hermes
to justify their own teachings . WHEN ITS SO PLAIN what is already written in the word , and that the very
word contradicts what they try and imply it to mean or not to mean . My friend so many do this .
were sitting around writing in some hard and complex code that only a wise scholar could grasp .
THEY were actually LETTERS WRITTEN TO THE CHURCH . YES INSPIRED BY THE SPIRIT , but they were letters indeed .
And when folks try and make that which is quite easy to grasp complicated in order to fit an acryonm
I am a visually orientated kind of person amigo--also an artist, left hand to boot and simply love to go through the Greek and Hebrew and read around the Bible, not scared to enter others labors in Christ--I am sure you can understand me and my character trait--to dig and delf--why? To appreciate what God has done through/in Christ Jesus, our great God and Savior--ever read Isaiah 53 in Hebrew? It will bring tears to your eyes my friend--the beauty is I don't have to be online on a daily basis as I have these tools at my disposal, and we are called to redeem the time, yes?

Mat 25:14 For the kingdom of heaven is as a man travelling into a far country, who called his own servants, and delivered unto them his goods.

Mat 25:15 And unto one he gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability; and straightway took his journey.

Mat 25:16 Then he that had received the five talents went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents.

Mat 25:17 And likewise he that had received two, he also gained other two.

Mat 25:18 But he that had received one went and digged in the earth, and hid his lord's money.

Mat 25:19 After a long time the lord of those servants cometh, and reckoneth with them.

Mat 25:20 And so he that had received five talents came and brought other five talents, saying, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me five talents: behold, I have gained beside them five talents more.

Mat 25:21 His lord said unto him, Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Mat 25:22 He also that had received two talents came and said, Lord, thou deliveredst unto me two talents: behold, I have gained two other talents beside them.
Mat 25:23 His lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant; thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord.

Mat 25:24 Then he which had received the one talent came and said, Lord, I knew thee that thou art an hard man, reaping where thou hast not sown, and gathering where thou hast not strawed:

Mat 25:25 And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth: lo, there thou hast that is thine.

Mat 25:26 His lord answered and said unto him, Thou wicked and slothful servant, thou knewest that I reap where I sowed not, and gather where I have not strawed:

Mat 25:27 Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the exchangers, and then at my coming I should have received mine own with usury.
Mat 25:28 Take therefore the talent from him, and give it unto him which hath ten talents.

Mat 25:29 For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath.

See here @amigo de christo? Then there are gifts--

Keep up the good work my friend.
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm still digesting your posts on Ephesians 4:24. Soon I should have a question for you! Really good stuff, btw.

Much love!
And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

και ενδυσασθαι τον καινον ανθρωπον τον κατα θεον κτισθεντα εν δικαιοσυνη και οσιοτητι της αληθειας

And to enrobe yourself in the Adam HeChadash (the new Man, humanity) having been created according to the demut Hashem in tzidkat Eloheinu and in the kedushah of HaEmes.
OJB

Love you brother, shalom to you and family.
J.

• Love

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Much love!
After reading your powerful link I think I can safely say that the Adam HeChadash/new man is hagios, as Christ is hagios, as YHVH is hagios, since we are created in His demut and after his tzelem (image)--

Lev_20:7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God.

1Pe_1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1Pe_1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

We can go deeper--but this will suffice and I sense a anointing on this particular thread.
Johann.

Last edited:
  • Love

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Example .
Yes it takes some discernment for sure.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote this for another thread, but I thought it belongs here,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see this outer man that is decaying as the flesh (sarx), meaning our bodies (soma).

I see the inner man as being our new creation spirit. That which is born of Spirit is spirit. We are the spirit children of God.

I see the soul as being the same as "psuche", meaning our self-identity, our thoughts and feelings, the ongoing mental "chatter" in our minds.

I see me as being born in a flesh body, with a flesh brain, that contains "me". The flesh is corrupted by sin, which means it's damaged, and will only produce a mind that reflects that damage, the corrupt mind of the flesh.

I live and grow, and experience things, and make choices, and all the sinful things around me, and that I choose, all leave their imprint of more corruption. Sinful thoughts, feelings, actions, all leave their imprint in the brain, as well as all the evil done against me. These are the neural pathways, "reward circuit", the biology of our minds. Traumatic experiences in developing children, and even adults, can leave permanent damage to the brain, impacting it's functionality.

So my body, my brain, my mind, all are corrupted by sin, all are dead in transgression and sin, all is condemned by God.
And then I am regenerated.

Now there is a new part to "me", a living spirit, united to God's Holy Spirit. This new part, my spirit, does not live in my brain, like my soul does. It lives in the celestial realm with God.

My consciousness is in my soul, psuche. My psuche was determined before only by the corruption I labored under, and whatever I've been able to do working with that. But whatever I was arose from corruption.

Now my psuche has another influence, 2 actually, my new spirit, and the Holy Spirit. These work together as one.
Flesh and spirit war against each other for control of the soul, psuche, and subsequently control of the body, that is, our actions.

Being crucified with Christ is when "I", my self-identy, sense of self, and source of self, is cut away from the flesh/body, and is transfered into Christ. I am no longer the man of flesh in Adam, I am now the man of spirit in Christ. But my soul is still in the body, and "I" still see from the body's eyes, and walk with the body's feet, and so on.

I understand walking in the Spirit to refer to living entirely in that new man, that is, that the new man, the spirit child of God, the one who is united to the Holy Spirit, entirely overwhelms any flesh influence or consideration. This is when the soul/psuche becomes completely aligned with the Holy Spirit, and the flesh is competely controlled.

I think the common experience among the regenerate is that we are in the process of being trained by God to recognize and subdue when what is going on in our minds has it's source as the flesh, so we can stop that, and replace it with thoughts/feelings/choices that have their source in the spirit. I think this is what is meant in putting off the old man, and putting on the new man.

This process of training can be very extreme sometimes.

In my case, I've had a very corrupting life experience, and have had very enduring maldevelopment, and deeply ingrained bad habits of how to think, and how to feel, and how to choose. And these are the fleshy lusts that war against the soul.

And when I cannot get a handle on things, when my present ability to choose spirit over flesh fails me, God steps in with His chastening. I see His chastening as very difficult and often painful experiences that overpower the working of flesh against me, like a hammer that breaks a chain. Something so overwhelming that it causes me to reject what I was holding on to, and to accept His righteous way. Putting off, and putting on, with a heavy hand to get me there.

Spiritual maturing is the culmination of these things, as we learn to identify fleshy thoughts/feeling/choices, to deny them before they come to any fruition. In the denying of the fleshy stuff, this allows the spiritual to grow unhindered.
The more we think/feel/choose according the Holy Spirit, the more this reworks our soul/psuche into the spiritual pattern, away from the fleshy pattern. And this enhances are ability to think,feel/choose in the right way.

If we are walking according to the flesh, this is to live as one not regenerated.

If we are led of the Spirit, this is to be making our choices of what to think and feel and do according to what the Spirit whispers to us.

If we are walking in the Spirit, this is to be living according the Holy Spirit in us, without regard towards our flesh. Again, I only say these things to show how I understand this.

I think the common Christian experience is to find ourselves in each of these states from time to time. I think this will depend a lot on what we think is happening in us, and what our faith is.

My faith is that in Christ, I'm fully separated from my flesh, that's no longer me. I'm just using the body. My faith is that God fully empowers me apart from my body, which is to be my tool, not my source. My faith is that God WILL complete His work in me, which will result in transforming my body into one that will no longer war against me with it's own ungodly lusts.

I think that when we walk in the Spirit, the Holy Spirit's fruit, Love, joy, peace, et. al., is our life experience. Not that we grow into being more loving, rather, our choices are all choosing love. Our feelings are joyful, peaceful, even in the midst of suffering and pain. Paul and Silas singing in jail.

I think when we are led of the Spirit, we are building a better character with every godly thought/feeling/choice/action, as this writes different neural pathways into our brains. This leads to less resistance from our old man, as the mind is being renewed to the new man. As the soul is being rewritten according to the spirit.

This is where we grow to be more loving, our character improving.

And of course when we completely lapse in our faith and revert to "walking according to flesh", living as if unregenerate.

For me, the battle is in the mind. The sooner I recognize fleshy thoughts, the sooner I can recover control. But best of all is that I'm learning the faith that sets all that aside and allows me to walk in the Spirit.

Much love!

Last edited:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I wrote this for another thread, but I thought it belongs here,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I see this outer man that is decaying as the flesh (sarx), meaning our bodies (soma).

I see the inner man as being our new creation spirit. That which is born of Spirit is spirit. We are the spirit children of God.

I see the soul as being the same as "psuche", meaning our self-identity, our thoughts and feelings, the ongoing mental "chatter" in our minds.

I see me as being born in a flesh body, with a flesh brain, that contains "me". The flesh is corrupted by sin, which means it's damaged, and will only produce a mind that reflects that damage, the corrupt mind of the flesh.

I live and grow, and experience things, and make choices, and all the sinful things around me, and that I choose, all leave their imprint of more corruption. Sinful thoughts, feelings, actions, all leave their imprint in the brain, as well as all the evil done against me. These are the neural pathways, "reward circuit", the biology of our minds. Traumatic experiences in developing children, and even adults, can leave permanent damage to the brain, impacting it's functionality.

So my body, my brain, my mind, all are corrupted by sin, all are dead in transgression and sin, all is condemned by God.
And then I am regenerated.

Now there is a new part to "me", a living spirit, united to God's Holy Spirit. This new part, my spirit, does not live in my brain, like my soul does. It lives in the celestial realm with God.

My consciousness is in my soul, psuche. My psuche was determined before only by the corruption I labored under, and whatever I've been able to do working with that. But whatever I was arose from corruption.

Now my psuche has another influence, 2 actually, my new spirit, and the Holy Spirit. These work together as one.
Flesh and spirit war against each other for control of the soul, psuche, and subsequently control of the body, that is, our actions.

Being crucified with Christ is when "I", my self-identy, sense of self, and source of self, is cut away from the flesh/body, and is transfered into Christ. I am no longer the man of flesh in Adam, I am now the man of spirit in Christ. But my soul is still in the body, and "I" still see from the body's eyes, and walk with the body's feet, and so on.

I understand walking in the Spirit to refer to living entirely in that new man, that is, that the new man, the spirit child of God, the one who is united to the Holy Spirit, entirely overwhelms any flesh influence or consideration. This is when the soul/psuche becomes completely aligned with the Holy Spirit, and the flesh is competely controlled.

I think the common experience among the regenerate is that we are in the process of being trained by God to recognize and subdue when what is going on in our minds has it's source as the flesh, so we can stop that, and replace it with thoughts/feelings/choices that have their source in the spirit. I think this is what is meant in putting off the old man, and putting on the new man.

This process of training can be very extreme sometimes.

In my case, I've had a very corrupting life experience, and have had very enduring maldevelopment, and deeply ingrained bad habits of how to think, and how to feel, and how to choose. And these are the fleshy lusts that war against the soul.

And when I cannot get a handle on things, when my present ability to choose spirit over flesh fails me, God steps in with His chastening. I see His chastening as very difficult and often painful experiences that overpower the working of flesh against me, like a hammer that breaks a chain. Something so overwhelming that it causes me to reject what I was holding on to, and to accept His righteous way. Putting off, and putting on, with a heavy hand to get me there.

Spiritual maturing is the culmination of these things, as we learn to identify fleshy thoughts/feeling/choices, to deny them before they come to any fruition. In the denying of the fleshy stuff, this allows the spiritual to grow unhindered.
The more we think/feel/choose according the Holy Spirit, the more this reworks our soul/psuche into the spiritual pattern, away from the fleshy pattern. And this enhances are ability to think,feel/choose in the right way.
If we are walking according to the flesh, this is to live as one not regenerated.

If we are led of the Spirit, this is to be making our choices of what to think and feel and do according to what the Spirit whispers to us.

If we are walking in the Spirit, this is to be living according the Holy Spirit in us, without regard towards our flesh. Again, I only say these things to show how I understand this.

I think the common Christian experience is to find ourselves in each of these states from time to time. I think this will depend a lot on what we think is happening in us, and what our faith is.

My faith is that in Christ, I'm fully separated from my flesh, that's no longer me. I'm just using the body. My faith is that God fully empowers me apart from my body, which is to be my tool, not my source. My faith is that God WILL complete His work in my, which will result in transforming my body into one that will no longer war against me with it's own ungodly lusts.

I think that when we walk in the Spirit, the Holy Spirit's fruit, Love, joy, peace, et. al., is our life experience. Not that we grow into being more loving, rather, our choices are all choosing love. Our feelings are joyful, peaceful, even in the midst of suffering and pain. Paul and Silas singing in jail.

I think when we are led of the Spirit, we are building a better character with every godly thought/feeling/choice/action, as this writes different neural pathways into our brains. This leads to less resistance from our old man, as the mind is being renewed to the new man. As the soul is being rewritten according to the spirit.
This is where we grow to be more loving, our character improving.

And of course when we completely lapse in our faith and revert to "walking according to flesh", living as if unregenerate.
For me, the battle is in the mind. The sooner I recognize fleshy thoughts, the sooner I can recover control. But best of all is that I'm learning the faith that sets all that aside and allows me to walk in the Spirit.

Much love!
Yes, definitely an anointing on this thread--you have taught me a lot brother, and still learning!
Johann.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Rom 12:2
Do not conform to the pattern of this world , but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is , his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Is this the same as dying to ones self?

1) "And be not conformed to this world," (kai me suschemati zesthe to aioni touto) "And be not patterned to or toward, glued to, or conformed to this age," the order of sinful state of things of this age," for the world order is sinful, decaying, and passing away, 1Jn_2:15-17; 1Co_7:31.

2) "But be ye transformed," (alla metamorphousthe) "But be ye changed in appearance before men, from old habits of carnal conduct to one of Christ-like appearance, 1Co_5:1-2; 1Co_5:9; 1Co_5:13; 2Co_6:14-17; and concerning such Paul also wrote "If we live in the spirit, let us also walk in the spirit," Gal_5:25; Mat_17:2.

3) "By the renewing of your mind," (te anakainosei tou noos) "By means of the renewing of your mind," from an higher order of thinking and reasoning than exists of this age, 1Pe_3:18; Col_3:10;
Man's mind is to be renewed or refreshed of purer and higher thoughts by giving heed to God's word and voice which are above man's, Isa_55:8-9; Psa_40:5; Jer_29:11-12.

4) "That ye may prove," (eis to dokimazein humas) "So that you all may prove, show or demonstrate," or be a display of, the love of God, Joh_13:34-35; obedience to Christ, Joh_14:15; Joh_15:14; Heb_12:1-2.

5) "What is the will of God," (ti to thelema tou theou) "What exists as the high, holy, divine, sublime, moral will of God," Psa_19:7-11;
Every child of God should seek to understand and follow that will daily, Joh_7:17; Eph_5:17.

6) "Good, and acceptable, and perfect," (to agathon kai euraeston kai teleion) "Which is of a holy quality of moral goodness, and well pleasing, and perfect or spiritually mature," in his serving children --those most obedient to him, 1Th_4:3; 1Th_5:18; Eph_5:27; Mat_5:48.

NONCONFORMITY TO THE WORLD-OUTWARD

The bird of paradise, which has such a dower of exquisitely beautiful feathers, cannot fly with the wind; if it attempts to do so, the current being much swifter than its flight, so ruffles its plumage as to impede its progress, and finally to terminate it: it is, therefore, compelled to fly against the wind, which keeps its feathers in their place, and thus it gains the place where it would be. So the Christian must not attempt to go with the current of a sinful world: if he does, it will not only hinder, but end his religious progress; but he must go against it, and then every effort of his soul will be upward, heavenward, Godward.
-M. Davies

3) "Let him deny himself," (arnesasthoi heauton) "Let him deny himself," or dethrone himself, as Lord of his own life, Mat_16:24; Mar_8:34.--Aorist, Middle, Imperative--

If any man will (θέλει, wills to) come after me. To come after Christ is to be his follower and disciple, and the Lord here declares what will be the life of such a one (see a parallel passage, Mat_10:38, Mat_10:39).

Jesus mentions three points which belong to the character of a true disciple. The first is self-denial. Let him deny himself. There is no better test of reality and earnestness in the religious life than this. (See a sermon of Newman’s on this subject, vol. 1. serm. 5.) If a man follows Jesus, it must be by his own free will, and he must voluntarily renounce everything that might hinder his discipleship, denying himself even in things lawful that he may approach the likeness of his Master. Take up his cross. This is the second point. St. Luke adds, "daily." He must not only be resigned to bear what is brought upon him—suffering, shame, and death, which he cannot escape, but be eager to endure it, meet it with a solemn joy, be glad that he is counted worthy of it. Follow me. The third point. He must be energetic and active, not passive only and resigned, but with all zeal tracking his Master’s footsteps, which lead on the way of sorrows. Here too is comfort; he is not called to a task as yet untried; Christ has gone before, and in his strength he may be strong.

Mat_10:38; Mar_8:34, Mar_10:21; Luk_9:23-27, Luk_14:27; Act_14:22; Col_1:24; 1Th_3:3; 2Ti_3:12; Heb_11:24-26
and take: Mat_27:32; Mar_15:21; Luk_23:26; Joh_19:17; 1Pe_4:1-2

Rom_12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Tit_3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Is there something you don't understand, or are you peiradzo-ing me?

Reactions: marks and Keturah

Nhisname

Dec 6, 2022
Joplin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1) "And be not conformed to this world," (kai me suschemati zesthe to aioni touto) "And be not patterned to or toward, glued to, or conformed to this age," the order of sinful state of things of this age," for the world order is sinful, decaying, and passing away, 1Jn_2:15-17; 1Co_7:31.

2) "But be ye transformed," (alla metamorphousthe) "But be ye changed in appearance before men, from old habits of carnal conduct to one of Christ-like appearance, 1Co_5:1-2; 1Co_5:9; 1Co_5:13; 2Co_6:14-17; and concerning such Paul also wrote "If we live in the spirit, let us also walk in the spirit," Gal_5:25; Mat_17:2.

3) "By the renewing of your mind," (te anakainosei tou noos) "By means of the renewing of your mind," from an higher order of thinking and reasoning than exists of this age, 1Pe_3:18; Col_3:10;
Man's mind is to be renewed or refreshed of purer and higher thoughts by giving heed to God's word and voice which are above man's, Isa_55:8-9; Psa_40:5; Jer_29:11-12.

4) "That ye may prove," (eis to dokimazein humas) "So that you all may prove, show or demonstrate," or be a display of, the love of God, Joh_13:34-35; obedience to Christ, Joh_14:15; Joh_15:14; Heb_12:1-2.

5) "What is the will of God," (ti to thelema tou theou) "What exists as the high, holy, divine, sublime, moral will of God," Psa_19:7-11;
Every child of God should seek to understand and follow that will daily, Joh_7:17; Eph_5:17.

6) "Good, and acceptable, and perfect," (to agathon kai euraeston kai teleion) "Which is of a holy quality of moral goodness, and well pleasing, and perfect or spiritually mature," in his serving children --those most obedient to him, 1Th_4:3; 1Th_5:18; Eph_5:27; Mat_5:48.

NONCONFORMITY TO THE WORLD-OUTWARD

The bird of paradise, which has such a dower of exquisitely beautiful feathers, cannot fly with the wind; if it attempts to do so, the current being much swifter than its flight, so ruffles its plumage as to impede its progress, and finally to terminate it: it is, therefore, compelled to fly against the wind, which keeps its feathers in their place, and thus it gains the place where it would be. So the Christian must not attempt to go with the current of a sinful world: if he does, it will not only hinder, but end his religious progress; but he must go against it, and then every effort of his soul will be upward, heavenward, Godward.
-M. Davies

3) "Let him deny himself," (arnesasthoi heauton) "Let him deny himself," or dethrone himself, as Lord of his own life, Mat_16:24; Mar_8:34.--Aorist, Middle, Imperative--

If any man will (θέλει, wills to) come after me. To come after Christ is to be his follower and disciple, and the Lord here declares what will be the life of such a one (see a parallel passage, Mat_10:38, Mat_10:39).

Jesus mentions three points which belong to the character of a true disciple. The first is self-denial. Let him deny himself. There is no better test of reality and earnestness in the religious life than this. (See a sermon of Newman’s on this subject, vol. 1. serm. 5.) If a man follows Jesus, it must be by his own free will, and he must voluntarily renounce everything that might hinder his discipleship, denying himself even in things lawful that he may approach the likeness of his Master. Take up his cross. This is the second point. St. Luke adds, "daily." He must not only be resigned to bear what is brought upon him—suffering, shame, and death, which he cannot escape, but be eager to endure it, meet it with a solemn joy, be glad that he is counted worthy of it. Follow me. The third point. He must be energetic and active, not passive only and resigned, but with all zeal tracking his Master’s footsteps, which lead on the way of sorrows. Here too is comfort; he is not called to a task as yet untried; Christ has gone before, and in his strength he may be strong.

Mat_10:38; Mar_8:34, Mar_10:21; Luk_9:23-27, Luk_14:27; Act_14:22; Col_1:24; 1Th_3:3; 2Ti_3:12; Heb_11:24-26
and take: Mat_27:32; Mar_15:21; Luk_23:26; Joh_19:17; 1Pe_4:1-2

Rom_12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Tit_3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Is there something you don't understand, or are you peiradzo-ing me?
Thank you. I like what you have in red on verse 1 & 3.

Reactions: marks and Johann

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
ἐπιμενοῦμεν
Shall we continue Definite Article hamartia
V-FAI-1P

1961 epiménō (from 1909/epí, "on, fitting," which intensifies 3306/ménō, "remain, persist") – properly, continue on with persistence as suits the objective.

1961/epimenō ("aptly continuing on") demonstrates a deliberate (determined) sense of direction that builds on (note epi, "upon") active waiting for the goal. With the believer, this operates through faith ("the Lord's inworked persuasion"). Accordingly, 1961 (epiménō) and faith (4102/pístis) are directly associated.

Col 1:23: "If indeed you continue (1961/epiménō) in the [principle of] faith (4102/pístis) firmly established and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister" (NASB).

Two other examples of 1961/epiménō ("remaining upon . . . ")
Ac 13:43: "Now when the meeting of the synagogue had broken up, many of the Jews and of the God-fearing proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas, who, speaking to them, were urging them to continue (1961/epiménō) in the grace of God" (NASB).

1 Tim 4:16: "Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere (1961/epiménō) in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both for yourself and for those who hear you" (NASB).

Reflection: It is essential to finish well, completing our divinely-appointed course!

Mt 10:22: "You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved" (NASB).

Mt 24:13: "But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved" (NASB).

2 Tim 4:7: "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith" (NASB).

ἁμαρτίᾳ
in sin
N-DSF

266 hamartía (a feminine noun derived from 1/A "not" and 3313/méros, "a part, share of") – properly, no-share ("no part of"); loss (forfeiture) from not hitting the target; sin (missing the mark).

266/hamartia ("forfeiture because missing the mark") is the brand of sin emphasizing what is self-originated (self-empowered), i.e. not originated or empowered by God (not of faith, His inworked persuasion, 4102/pístis, cf. Ro 14:23).

266/hamartia ("sin") means losing God's approval (reward) because falling short (wide) of His mark (His "bulls-eye"). Thus 266/hamartía ("sin") includes every decision (action) not inspired and empowered by God, i.e. is not of faith. Accordingly, 266/hamartía ("sin") and faith are directly associated in the NT: Col 2:11,12; Heb 12:1,2; Js 5:15.
Ro 14:23: "Whatever is not of faith is sin (266/hamartía)" – the sin which drives all sins (i.e. self-government). That is, living independent from God (choosing to walk outside His revelation of faith).

(Jn 8:21) in your sin (en tē hamartia hymōn) – "Note the singular, sin, not sins. It is used collectively to express the whole condition of estrangement from God" (WS, 450).

Reflection: 266 (hamartía) includes sins of omission as well as commission, i.e. all that is not done when living outside of faith. The only "antidote" to sin (266/hamartía) is the Lord inworking His persuasion and the power that comes with it (see 4102/pístis).

In sum, sin (266/hamartía) focuses on the forfeiture (loss) that always goes with "missing God's mark." Sin (266/hamartía) misses God's target, i.e. all that is outside His "bulls-eye" (preferred-will, see 2307/thélēma).
"Hitting God's mark" (the opposite of sin) means living in faith – i.e. hearing God's voice and obeying which brings His approval (righteousness, Js 2:14-26).

[The core-idea of sin (266/hamartía) goes beyond guilt to forfeiture (DNTT, 3, 577).]

Note: 266/hamartía ("sin, missing God's mark") is used of an archer under-shooting or over-shooting a target. 266 (hamartia) emphasizes the loss that results from missing the mark.

266/hamartia ("sin") is regularly used in classical Greek of spear-throwers and archers who miss the target – and hence forfeit the prize. Theologically, sin applies to every thought or deed that misses the Lord's approval, which requires discerning His will through faith and obeying it by His power. In short, it means living in "God's preferred-will" (2307/thélēma) to know His approval; everything else is sin (266/hamartía) with its eternal loss (of rewards, etc.).

Reflection: Sin always impacts our unique glorification (cf. 1 Cor 15:56 with Phil 3:11-21). Each sin also impacts the depth of hell experienced by the unredeemed (cf. Rev 1:5 with 20:11-15).

(1 Jn 3:9) Augustine, "Insofar as one abides in Him, to this extent he does not sin."

Key quotes
M. Vincent, "Sin (hamartia) means 'to miss a mark'; as a warrior who throws his spear and fails to strike his adversary, or as a traveler who missed his way" (WS, 19).
The statement, "I have sinned," is spoken by people like: King Saul, Pharaoh (Ex 9:27), Balaam (Nu 22:34) – and Judas (Mt 27:4)! 266 (hamartia) "means missing the mark as with an arrow. How often the best of us fall short and fail to score" (WP, 1, 11).

R. Trench, Sin (266/hamartía) means "to miss a mark . . . So hamartia/hamartanō a hundred times in Homer means the warrior hurling his spear, but fails to strike his foe (Il. 4:491; so tōn hodōn hamartanein, Thucydides, 3:98.2 is to miss one's way)" (p 241).
Earnest De Witt Burton (Galatians, 436) "266 (hamartia) and 264 (hamartánō) literally mean 'to have no part in' – in common usage, 'to miss the mark,' 'to fail to attain.' In a physical sense it is used in Hom Il. V 287, of a spear missing the mark, and in other similar applications in Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Antipho. So also from Homer down in such derived senses as 'to fail of one's purpose,' 'to lose,' 'to neglect.' But it had also acquired as early as Homer and retained throughout the classical period a distinctly ethical sense, 'to do wrong, to err, to sin.'"
Sins are always the by-product of sin

Jn 8:21: "Then He said again to them, 'I go away, and you will seek Me, and will die in your sin (266/hamartía, singular); where I am going, you cannot come'" (NASB).

1 Jn 1:8,9: "8If we say that we have no sin (266/hamartía, singular), we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins (266/hamartía, plural), He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins (266/hamartía, plural) and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (NASB).

[Note the switch from sin (emphatic in the original Greek text in 1:8) to sins (1:9).]

Observations

Sin (266/hamartía) is the decision (action) to be self-determining – in all its forms ("sins"). On each occasion, self-autonomy is elevated over the Lord's offer to inbirth faith (4102/pístis).
Choosing self-government, over God's will, was the original sin – and is still the sin that drives (causes) all sins. Indeed, God gave two great choices to Adam and Eve – the same ones we have today, i.e. choosing God's good or our pain (evil, Heb raʽa).

Reflection: Sin defines the first act of human disobedience, when Adam and Eve preferred self-will over God's will.

Gen 2:16,17: "16The lord God commanded the man, saying, 'From any tree of the garden you may eat freely' 17but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil [literally, pain, Heb raʽa] you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die" (NASB).