The Destruction of Damascus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Damascus" once repped a school of thought; but what comes out of Damascus now? The "city" is long gone, and the prophecy has come true already imo. But who knows, really
It still stands....it has been rebuilt twice...but the Bible says it will become a ruinous heap....a city no more....

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Okay this one I remember well> copied from LeClaire's website article.
David was talking with the prophet Nathan—the same prophet who later would rebuke him for committing adultery with Bathsheba and setting up the murder of her husband, Uriah the Hittite (2 Sam. 12). David was dismayed because God was dwelling inside tent curtains while he lived in a house of cedar (2 Sam. 7:2).

That's when Nathan spoke these words from his anointed mouth: "Go, do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you" (2 Sam. 7:3). Although this wasn't a "thus saith the Lord" type of prophetic word, it was a word of approval from a trusted prophetic voice in David's life. David was looking for prophetic counsel about his plans to build a house for the Lord, seeking confirmation that it was in God's will. David seemed to receive that confirmation, but the Lord took steps to correct Nathan's pure-hearted mistake before the king got too far.

God sent Nathan back to David with a bona fide prophetic word that contradicted his friendly counsel to "do all that is in your heart, for the Lord is with you." The Lord did not want David to build him a house but rather committed to establishing David's throne forever (2 Sam. 7:4-17).
ha, good one :)
not sure i like the precedent you are setting here, but i see your point.
Hard to call that bad prophecy though, i mean God did not even rebuke him?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It still stands....it has been rebuilt twice...but the Bible says it will become a ruinous heap....a city no more....
well, dialectically speaking it seems that cities are symbols for major schools of thought, if "towns" are minor ones. Not saying that the prophecy might not literally come true also, dunno; but imo it's admittance into the Roman Decapolis might even have qualified it (spiritually) as a "ruinous heap?"

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In my curiosity I decided to go to your profile page and see if your birthday is posted...it was....you are lying somewhere....so which is it? I like a person with a sense of humor....but you are way to wise to be the age on your profile.....I am thinking your are more around your 50's. Yep...that isn't Holy Spirit inspired it is just my thinking...lol

On my profile it says 27, was an error, should be 72. But I can't change it.
I was born just after the war ended in 1945.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In my curiosity I decided to go to your profile page and see if your birthday is posted...it was....you are lying somewhere....so which is it?

He wrote it wrong when he first registered here...and he is unable to change it.
I have tried changing things on mine too, but they are "written in stone" adnd seem unchangeable.
He is a few years younger than me..and I am 76

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Never knew just how old Damascus is...hmm.
yes, and ty for the link. Isaiah was written in like 700 BC or something, so it would be quite a hoot to see that literally fulfilled.
Imo a different fulfillment might (likely) be indicated, but it might not too i guess. The context should give direction. i don't even know why Damascus was prophesied against at the moment tho.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, and ty for the link. Isaiah was written in like 700 BC or something, so it would be quite a hoot to see that literally fulfilled.
Imo a different fulfillment might (likely) be indicated, but it might not too i guess. The context should give direction. i don't even know why Damascus was prophesied against at the moment tho.

Yw...I did end up reading the article after all. Sounds like a beautiful place that smells really good, lol. The city itself looks very cluttered to me tho.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, dialectically speaking it seems that cities are symbols for major schools of thought, if "towns" are minor ones. Not saying that the prophecy might not literally come true also, dunno; but imo it's admittance into the Roman Decapolis might even have qualified it (spiritually) as a "ruinous heap?"
you got me....this is something I have not given a lot of effort to studying....its just what God spoke to me....I will leave the details to the scholars.

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He wrote it wrong when he first registered here...and he is unable to change it.
I have tried changing things on mine too, but they are "written in stone" adnd seem unchangeable.
He is a few years younger than me..and I am 76
I mistyped my forum name when I first joined and I contacted one of the administrators and they corrected it for me. So maybe they can do it for you.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The link below is a good read about Damascus which was mentioned and prophesied against by several prophets in the OT

https://hightimetoawake.com/damascus-syria-in-bible-prophecy/

In Amos it gives a reference to why God was angry with Damascus.
Amos 1:3-5 Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of Damascus, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have threshed Gilead with threshing instruments of iron: 4 But I will send a fire into the house of Hazael, which shall devour the palaces of Benhadad. 5 I will break also the bar of Damascus, and cut off the inhabitant from the plain of Aven, and him that holdeth the sceptre from the house of Eden: and the people of Syria shall go into captivity unto Kir, saith the LORD.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I mistyped my forum name when I first joined and I contacted one of the administrators and they corrected it for me. So maybe they can do it for you.

Nah! I think he likes 27..makes him feel young again. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
mostly just gotta wonder if you believe you can handle poisonous snakes without consequences too?

Okay, I'll buy it.
What are we talking about here...and who are you responding too?
....or is the a branch off of the Damascus discussion?

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Okay, I'll buy it.
What are we talking about here...and who are you responding too?
....or is the a branch off of the Damascus discussion?
if you are looking for a literal fulfillment here, then you should expect a literal fulfillment there too i guess.

i see a hole in this though, as handling poisonous snakes on purpose would prolly fall under the "testing God" category, but nonetheless imo there is still a principle that transfers? This reeks of "seeking miracles" imo

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
if you are looking for a literal fulfillment here, then you should expect a literal fulfillment there too i guess.

i see a hole in this though, as handling poisonous snakes on purpose would prolly fall under the "testing God" category, but nonetheless imo there is still a principle that transfers? This reeks of "seeking miracles" imo

Okay, now I understand your comment. :)

I personally am probably too far the other way...almost all things are spiritual not literal. I'm not into all this 'literal expectations' things...I think many will be disappointed.

When we think of the OT prophesies about the birth of Jesus...
When it actually happened who knew?
Not many, for almost everyone ...here He was, He had arrived.
A few people knew it...an old priest and an old widow confirmed it...and to everyone else it was business as usual in the market place and dinner on the table at supper time...
A quiet literal happening, yet few had eyes to see the significance of what had happened spiritually!!!

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mostly just gotta wonder if you believe you can handle poisonous snakes without consequences too?
I don't go around testing God like that.....and neither should you or anyone else.