The Devil in both testaments

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Stefan

Mar 23, 2022
Peterborough
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Is the devil of the old testament and the new testament the same person or being? Or are they two different versions of the same being? If yes why? If not why? I have always been curious about this matter. I await some replies.

kind regards John Stefan

Reactions: GEN2REV

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is the devil of the old testament and the new testament the same person or being? Or are they two different versions of the same being? If yes why? If not why? I have always been curious about this matter. I await some replies.
They are one and the same entity. The snake in the garden of Eden is the same devil, (“the original serpent”) evicted from heaven in Revelation 12:7-9...

“And war broke out in heaven: Miʹcha·el and his angels battled with the dragon, and the dragon and its angels battled 8 but they did not prevail, nor was a place found for them any longer in heaven. 9 So down the great dragon was hurled, the original serpent, the one called Devil and Satan, who is misleading the entire inhabited earth; he was hurled down to the earth, and his angels were hurled down with him.”

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They are the same. The Incarnation revealed God in person. That intimacy allows us to know God but to also know the devil in person.
In the OT the devil is vague and not clearly identified as "The Devil" Satan. That's not the devil changing but our understanding coupled with it's proximity.

Reactions: John Stefan

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe they are the same, but I also believe we have to understand that when the devil is spoken of, in the Bible as well as in today's Christian conversation, it is often speaking of one or more of his advocates in his whole army.

Demons.

Jesus spoke of devils, plural, when casting out demons. The demons themselves spoke of being legion, many.

One of the ways used to ridicule the idea of the devil, and mock any who speak of him, is to give credit to the main devil, Satan, for all evil that ever takes place. Not only is this very difficult to grasp and accept as true, believing that Satan, personally, causes all the bad things that happen in our lives, but it is not really accurate.

We say that God did this or that often times when the reality is that one or more of His advocates, the angels, were responsible. But it was His will and His authority that allowed it, carried it out.

Demons are pretty much everywhere, just as angels are. They cause havoc every single day. Part of this battle that we are in as Christians involves both forces of light and darkness coupled with our faith and our prayers to sway the results of daily battles one way or the other. Yes, we are protected, but only to the extent that we stay true to God and His ways and continue to pray for all our needs on a daily basis.

Ephesians 6:12 is a reality for all Christians.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

kind regards John Stefan

When the Devil was in Heaven, he was the, or a, Music Minister.......for all intents and purposes.
Some literature recognizes him as the Anointed Cherub.

He was created with free will.
His name essentially means "Light Bearer", "Lucifer", and he got a name change when He and his deceived, who were angels He deceived were cast out of heaven.
In Heaven, He, Lucifer, was BEAUTIFUL. In the Garden of Eden, He is now called SATAN, and he is designed as a serpent.

Notice that Satan is the "Light Bearer".......and in Ephesians, Paul defines Him as the 'Prince of the Power of the Air".
He is also the God of this world., Yet Christ has all authority in Heaven and on Earth, based on The Cross and The Resurrection.
The Lord Jesus is now again A KING, and not a suffering Lamb, sent to redeem the world of its sin, and from the "curse of the Law".

How does "Light Bearer" and "prince of the power of the air" work together. ?

Well, Jesus is THE Light, and Satan is THE FALSE Light.
Jesus is THE Light, and Satan comes AS an angel of Light.
God's preachers preach RIGHTEOUSNESS, and Satan's ministers preach FALSE Righteousness.
The "AIR", is the spiritual realm, and the power of the air, is, to be the god of this world.
Satan is a master manipulator of facts, and in these end times, he is the prince of the power of the AIRWAVES.
= THE MEDIA.

Currently, we see THE MEDIA has been manipulated to convince the world that they are "at war".

Ignore that, other than to care about the civilians, both Russians and Ukrainians , as the world war that matters is being arranged while the Media has you focused on : Zelenskyy. and Russia and senile Biden.

Satan, knows that his time to come is very soon.
Reader....Ive a Thread here i wrote over a year ago.......if its still here, title'd...."In Comes the Devil"....and it'll show you why the Son of Perdition shows up, if you care to find it and spend 5 mins reading it.

Last edited:

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God revealed Himself as a person it makes sense that His enemy would also be revealed as a person.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

kind regards John Stefan
The same devil known as Lucifer prior to the fall tempter Adam / eve in the garden is the same one who tempted Jesus in the wilderness. He is the same deceiver and the father of lies and murderer. John 8:44

hope this helps !!!

Reactions: mailmandan

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

kind regards John Stefan

Hi John, welcome to the forum sir.

The devil, also known as satan, it the original angel who rebelled sir, from his first mention in Genesis, to his last in Revelation. Did you know that his name is not actually given in the Bible? he is referred to by several identifiers however, even called god once.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
how does the devil get the glory ?
Glory = high renown or honor won by notable achievements. (renown, fame, prestige, honor, distinction, praise, accolades, etc.) By those who give him credit for his evil deeds.

Was that really necessary for me to explain?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glory = high renown or honor won by notable achievements. (renown, fame, prestige, honor, distinction, praise, accolades, etc.) By those who give him credit for his evil deeds.

Was that really necessary for me to explain?
Just checking you seemed to imply it had to do with being uni-personal verses multi-personal.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Three divine person's were revealed by the one that Incarnated.;)
So there are four divine persons?

Ok, ok enough. I get it.

Three witnesses, the blood the water and the spirit, revealed that the devil is ONE person and that there is ONE divine person over all other persons.

Fair enough.

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So there are four divine persons?

Ok, ok enough. I get it.

Three witnesses, the blood the water and the spirit, revealed that the devil is ONE person and that there is ONE divine person over all other persons.

Fair enough.
No. Jesus was guilty of what the Jewish leaders accused Him of. Claiming equality with God.