SALVATION OF ANIMALS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Salvation of Animals?​

Over the years, as pastor and teacher, I have encountered numerous persons grieving over the recent loss of a beloved dog or cat who enquired about the possibility of the resurrection of their pets and other animals. As an inveterate animal lover myself, intimately bonded with some amazing dogs and cats as “family members” since childhood, I have a personal interest in this question. Also, as I have taught the doctrine of the sanctuary and considered the unnumbered animals offered in Old Testament times under the divinely ordained sacrificial system, I have often wondered how God is going to “make things right” for these innocent creatures? Here are some musings.

I do not have any final answers, but I have found some tantalizing hints in Scripture that suggest the possibility of at least some animals (including our pets and the sacrificial animals) being resurrected and saved for eternity. Among the intriguing biblical texts (and other inspired data) consider the following:

Psalm 36:6 affirms: “You save humans and animals alike, O Lord” (NRSV). Though some versions translate save as “preserve,” it is the same Hebrew word used for eternal salvation elsewhere in Scripture.

Micah 4:8 speaks of the restoration of the “first dominion” (KJV) at the end of time. The first dominion, which Adam and Eve had and lost, was dominion over the animals (Gen. 1:28). The Book of Revelation is clear that in heaven the saints will be kings/queens and reign (Rev. 20:4; 5:10; 22:5), and the question naturally arises: if all the saints are kings/queens, over whom will they reign? It seems plausible that the rule will be over the animal kingdom as in the Garden of Eden.

The Scriptures are clear regarding the tender place in God’s heart for the animals. The Book of Jonah ends with God’s concern for the animals of Nineveh. “‘Should not I pity Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than 120,000 persons . . . and also much cattle’” (Jonah 4:11, ESV). Genesis 9:10 and Hosea 2:18 speak of God making a covenant with the animals. The Old Testament says the Sabbath was given not only for man, but also that the animals might rest (Ex. 23:12).

Part 2 below:

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Numbers 22 is intriguing: the Lord opens the mouth of Balaam’s donkey, who speaks to his master. Notice that God does not give special intelligence and speech to the donkey, but simply “opens his mouth” and he speaks! Then the angel asks the penetrating question of Balaam, “‘Why have you struck your donkey?’” (vs. 32, NKJV). God was concerned about the cruel abuse of an animal! My daughter, Rahel Schafer, has recently defended her Ph.D. dissertation dealing with the many other passages in which the animals speak, and even cry out to God, and God answers their cry!1 See, for example, Job 12:7–9; 40:15–19; 41:10; Psalm 104:21, 27, 28; and Isaiah 43:20.

Along with God’s frequently expressed concern for the animals in the Old Testament is the instructive verse on the lips of Jesus in the New Testament: “‘Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God’” (Luke 12:6, NIV). In biblical thought, for God to “remember” is to act in behalf of someone or something (see Genesis 8:1, in which God remembered Noah and the animals in the ark by delivering them from death). If God does not “forget” the sparrows that fall (die), then doesn’t this imply that He will “remember,” i.e., act in behalf of the ones who have fallen—save them?

Romans 8:20 and 21 describes how the whole creation is groaning and travailing, waiting for restoration: “The creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God” (WEB). Do these references perhaps imply that God’s non-human creatures on this earth, which had no responsibility for the origin of evil, will be ultimately set free from decay/curse by their resurrection/salvation?

I find it fascinating to read the comments of Ellen G. White, describing the affection and trusting qualities of animals: “The intelligence displayed by many dumb animals approaches so closely to human intelligence that it is a mystery. The animals see and hear and love and fear and suffer. They use their organs far more faithfully than many human beings use theirs. They manifest sympathy and tenderness toward their companions in suffering. Many animals show an affection for those who have charge of them, far superior to the affection shown by some of the human race. They form attachments for man which are not broken without great suffering to them.”2

A host of recent studies of animal behavior, intelligence, and emotion are now substantiating these comments.3 The love and trust of these animals—are not these the very qualities that God is seeking in His human followers, the qualities that will fit them for heaven? If the animals possess such qualities, are they not also fit for heaven?

C. S. Lewis suggested that perhaps the animals that have been pets and others who have attained to a “soul,” developing positive qualities such as love and trust, will in particular be the ones resurrected.4 What Lewis did not recognize is that the Bible calls all animals “souls” or “persons,” just like human beings (Gen. 1:20, 21, 24, 30; 9:10, etc.).

Throughout his multi-volume allegory of the plan of salvation, The Chronicles of Narnia, Lewis explored the further possibility of animals talking. The Bible seems to concur: Psalm 148 describes “‘Beasts and all cattle; creeping things and winged fowl” (vs. 10, NASB) as among those creatures that praise the Lord. Revelation 5:13 has “every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: ‘To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever’” (NIV).

The language of Psalm 104:24 to 30 may imply the end-time resurrection of marine and celestial as well as terrestrial creatures. S. R. Driver writes: “Few, if any, readers of the Old Testament seem to have noticed that, as the text [of Psalm 104:24–30] stands and as it can only be read without violating normal standards of interpretation, they are committed to the strange doctrine of the resurrection not only of man and of birds and beasts but also of Leviathan and the ‘creeping’ or rather ‘gliding things innumerable’ which swim in the sea (Ps. civ. 10–30).”5 Driver points out that the “they all” (vs. 27, NASB) which “are created” (vs. 30, NIV) “must mean all, not some, of them, sc. of God’s creatures, whether men and beasts and birds or fishes, mentioned in the course of the psalm.”6 Although Driver acknowledges that this is the meaning of the text in its present form, he assumes such meaning to be “objectionable” and thus suggests radical excision of the text. But if one accepts the text as it stands, as I think is the best position to take, then this passage seems to point toward the resurrection of a wide range of animals.

I do not intend to imply that the above evidence is conclusive. It is only suggestive at best. But there are enough “hints” in inspired sources that we do not need to inform our children when they lose pets that they will never see them again. For children, whose whole life may have been wrapped up in a precious pet, to tell them the animal will never be resurrected, unnecessarily gives negative signals about God’s character of love. I suggest, instead, that parents tell their children, when a pet dies, “When you get to heaven, if you want your pet to be there, God will certainly give you the desire of your heart.” This is a safe answer, for Scripture says, “Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart” (Ps. 37:4, NKJV), and if the animals should not be resurrected, then in our immortal state we will not desire them. Paul’s promise in 1 Corinthians 2:9 is to the point (quoting Isaiah), “‘No eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him’” (NRSV). Why not envision the resurrection of our pets and other animals in this promise?

I find the possibility of the resurrection of animals consistent with the whole great controversy between and Christ and Satan, in which God will at last make everything right. When I think of all the innocent animals that have suffered at the hands of cruel humans, and other animals who have suffered while Satan rejoiced, I’m led to believe that God can hardly wait to make right this part of Satan’s work, too. One must also take account of all the innocent sacrifices as part of the divinely ordained Old Testament ceremonial system, which revealed in symbolism the horror of sin and its baleful results, and pointed toward the coming of the Lamb of God. I cannot imagine that God would allow all of this divinely directed innocent suffering without finally “remembering” those who have suffered by saving/resurrecting them!

I’m not “dog”matic about this suggestion. God may have another way to solve this problem that is far beyond what I now imagine! I know God will do what is best. Someday soon we will know for sure when we see Him (and our pets and other animals?) face to face in heaven! In that day, “there will no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away!” (Rev. 21:4, NASB).

NOTES AND REFERENCES

1. A. Rahel Schafer, “‘You, YHWH, Save Humans and Animals’: God’s Response to the Vocalized Needs of Non-human Animals as Portrayed in the Old Testament” (Ph.D. dissertation, Wheaton College, 2015).​

2. The Ministry of Healing, 315, 316.​

3. See, e.g., Vint Virga, The Soul of All Living Creatures: What Animals Can Teach Us About Being Human (New York: Broadway, 2014); Virginia Morell, Animals Wise: How We Know Animals Think and Feel (New York: Broadway, 2014).​

4. C. S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain (New York: Macmillan, 1962), 129–143.​

5. See G. R. Driver, “The Resurrection of Marine and Terrestrial Creatures,” Journal of Semitic Studies 7:1 (Spring 1962):

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are near death experiences where people see Jesus and go into heaven and look around and see lots of animals. So I believe it.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Salvation of Animals?

My dog has not been responding to the gospel... I witnessed to him and told him to wag once for YES indicating he accepts Jesus as his Lord and savior so he can be a born again puppie... or wag twice if he is not interested.... he just looks at me blankly and does not wag his tail at all.

So, ya'll pray for my puppie!

I'll let him think it over and I'll witness to him again again and hopefully he'll wag once and become a born again puppie!

Do you think If I can get him born again, maybe he'll quit peeing on the carpet?

And, if he gets filled with the Holy Ghost will he... bark in other barks? clueless-scratching.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TheHC and Adrift

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will say,given the definition of Sin, any pastor who imagined animals in any way may in some cases be resurrected unto eternal life, is a fool blabbering in the pulpit.

Because the converse of their absurd ideology is that those animals not resurrected go to Hell.

• Sad
Reactions: Cassandra and Jim C

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Skating dangerously close to animism.

I had to go look that one up... sounds like you are right.

This is not found in Christianity, I know that

Animism (from Latin: anima meaning 'breath, spirit, life') is the belief that objects, places, and creatures all possess a distinct spiritual essence. Animism perceives all things—animals, plants, rocks, rivers, weather systems, human handiwork, and in some cases words—as being animated, having agency and free will.

Animism is used in anthropology of religion as a term for the belief system of many Indigenous peoples in contrast to the relatively more recent development of organized religions. Animism is a metaphysical belief which focuses on the supernatural universe (beyond logical foundations and procedures): specifically, on the concept of the immaterial soul.

Although each culture has its own mythologies and rituals, animism is said to describe the most common, foundational thread of indigenous peoples' "spiritual" or "supernatural" perspectives. The animistic perspective is so widely held and inherent to most indigenous peoples that they often do not even have a word in their languages that corresponds to "animism" (or even "religion"). The term "animism" is an anthropological construct.

Reactions: Jim C

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reactions: Duck Muscles

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Interesting topic @Cassandra…..everything in us wants to believe that our pets don’t just die and that’s it……after all, we have convinced ourselves that we don’t really die either…..yet that is not what Adam was told.

Gen 2:16…
”God also gave this command to the man: “From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction. 17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.”

In sentencing Adam for his sin, God said…
“In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.” (Gen 3:19)
There is no mention of an afterlife of any kind.…just a return to where Adam was before God created him.

Solomon wrote in Eccl 3:20-21..
I also said in my heart about the sons of men that the true God will test them and show them that they are like animals, 19 for there is an outcome for humans and an outcome for animals; they all have the same outcome. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit. So man has no superiority over animals, for everything is futile. 20 All are going to the same place. They all come from the dust, and they all are returning to the dust.” (Eccl 3,18-20)

We humans have no advantage over the animals in death…..
The “spirit“ that we share is “the breath of life”, given to every creature at their creation. It is what makes them and us a “soul”. When we breathe our last breath, the soul dies. (Ezek 18:4)

So, what does the Bible really tell us about the death of animals?
Since humans were the only “souls” to be promised “everlasting life”, we are also the only creatures who can foresee our own death and contemplate what that means. (Hence the penalty for taking the forbidden fruit) Death is not in an animals mind, even when instinct makes them run away from a predator. Instinct in the animal kingdom does not include any great ability to plan or to imagine an outcome….which means that humans alone can contemplate death as a foreseeable reality. Animals succumb or death as a natural part of ”the circle of life”. (Credit to the Lion King)

God did not create animals to live eternally…..they have a finite existence and a life expectancy that they cannot know. Some animals who herd in family groups can appear to mourn the loss of a family member, but it is not the same grief that humans experience, knowing in advance that they will die or in watching someone they love succumb to a terminal illness.
Death in a troop is acknowledged, but mourning is brief as opposed to humans who can sometimes grieve for the rest of their Ives. Death to us is an “enemy” according to Scripture. To animals it is a certainty that they cannot acknowledge. They may fret for a lost companion, but they just miss them as a daily part of their life that has now changed.

The Genesis account tells us that all earthly creatures were at first vegetarians (Gen 1:29-30)…..so, no creature killed another for food. The only meat eaters were carrion creatures designed by God to clean up other creatures who died. Everything eventually breaks down and returns to the earth, which is designed to regenerate life, perpetually.

So our beloved pets die a natural death that is programmed into them……we humans were not programmed for death, so it seems foreign to us even though every human who has ever lived, eventually died. We were not supposed to because death was a penalty, not a foregone conclusion.

Animals will always share our lives and bring joy to us, because they were put on this earth to be our companions…..animals do not exist in heaven because they are flesh, like we are, designed for life on planet Earth.

We can love them while we have them, but their loss will not cause us grief in the new world to come…
Nothing will spoil life in the paradise restored by its loving Creator. (Isa 65:17-25)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheHC

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Ruach is in all that God made.

“The Spirit of God thus appears from the outset of the Old Testament as the principle of the very existence and persistence of all things, and as the source and originating cause of all movement and order and life.” B.B. Warfield

Reactions: BlessedPeace

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting topic @Cassandra…..everything in us wants to believe that our pets don’t just die and that’s it……after all, we have convinced ourselves that we don’t really die either…..yet that is not what Adam was told.

Gen 2:16…
”God also gave this command to the man: “From every tree of the garden you may eat to satisfaction. 17 But as for the tree of the knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat from it, for in the day you eat from it you will certainly die.”

In sentencing Adam for his sin, God said…
“In the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return.” (Gen 3:19)
There is no mention of an afterlife of any kind.…just a return to where Adam was before God created him.

Solomon wrote in Eccl 3:20-21..
I also said in my heart about the sons of men that the true God will test them and show them that they are like animals, 19 for there is an outcome for humans and an outcome for animals; they all have the same outcome. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit. So man has no superiority over animals, for everything is futile. 20 All are going to the same place. They all come from the dust, and they all are returning to the dust.” (Eccl 3,18-20)

We humans have no advantage over the animals in death…..
The “spirit“ that we share is “the breath of life”, given to every creature at their creation. It is what makes them and us a “soul”. When we breathe our last breath, the soul dies. (Ezek 18:4)

So, what does the Bible really tell us about the death of animals?
Since humans were the only “souls” to be promised “everlasting life”, we are also the only creatures who can foresee our own death and contemplate what that means. (Hence the penalty for taking the forbidden fruit) Death is not in an animals mind, even when instinct makes them run away from a predator. Instinct in the animal kingdom does not include any great ability to plan or to imagine an outcome….which means that humans alone can contemplate death as a foreseeable reality. Animals succumb or death as a natural part of ”the circle of life”. (Credit to the Lion King)

God did not created animals to live eternally…..they have a finite existence and a life expectancy that they cannot know. Some animals who herd in family groups can appear to mourn the loss of a family member, but it is not the same grief that humans experience, knowing in advance that they will die or in watching someone they love succumb to a terminal illness.
Death in a troop is acknowledged, but mourning is brief as opposed to humans who can sometimes grieve for the rest of their Ives. Death to us is an “enemy” according to Scripture. To animals it is a certainty that they cannot acknowledge. They may fret for a lost companion, but they just miss them as a daily part of their life that has now changed.

The Genesis account tells us that all earthly creatures were at first vegetarians (Gen 1:29-30)…..so, no creature killed another for food. The only meat eaters were carrion creatures designed by God to clean up other creatures who died. Everything eventually breaks down and returns to the earth, which is designed to regenerate life, perpetually.

So our beloved pets die a natural death that is programmed into them……we humans were not programmed for death, so it seems foreign to us even though every human who has ever lived, eventually died. We were not supposed to because death was a penalty, not a foregone conclusion.

Animals will always share our lives and bring joy to us, because they were put on this earth to be our companions…..animals do not exist in heaven because they are flesh, like we are, designed for life on planet Earth.

We can love them while we have them, but their loss will not cause us grief in the new world to come…
Nothing will spoil life in the paradise restored by its loving Creator. (Isa 65:17-25)

I disagree with you about the whole Genesis 1 thing, so I can fully understand why you think as you do.
Nothing died until sin. There were no meat eaters then. We differ here, as well as timing of Earth's creation.
I share the same thoughts as you regarding death. Dead till the resurrection. But I cannot imagine Heaven without our beloved pets, at the very least, and well, why not?
Looking forward to my kitties, puppies, and ferrets, in the earth made new.

I firmly believe God will resurrect our pets.

Reactions: Adrift

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I disagree with you about the whole Genesis 1 thing, so I can fully understand why you think as you do.
What particularly do you disagree with about “the whole Genesis thing”? Can you be specific?
Nothing died until sin. There were no meat eaters then. We differ here, as well as timing of Earth's creation.
There is nothing in Genesis to suggest that animals did not die. Humans alone were made in God’s image and had the means to sustain their lives there in the garden with “the tree of life”....it was partaking of that tree that guaranteed that mortal human life could continue indefinitely. No such trees were said to be available to animals.

The problem with no creatures dying would have been overpopulation.

And then we have the issue of dinosaurs who were gigantic, roaming the primitive earth. These were extinct when humans began life....and just as well because we would have been like insects under their massive feet......so, science and the Bible have to come to terms in the reality of archeology rather than the fantasy of man’s interpretation of scripture. God does not expect our faith to be based on fantasy, but provable facts. Not that science is infallible by any means, but they still can provide parameters that the Bible does not disagree with.

Since “sin” was only in the human race, due to their disobedience, the animal kingdom remained as they were created. Death is part of their life cycle....it was never supposed to be part of ours. After the flood of Noah’s day, humans were granted permission to eat meat and a fear of man was instilled in the animals because of it. (Genesis 9:1-7) Perhaps this is when animals became predatory as well? The Bible does not say.

We have a brief opening statement in Genesis that says...”In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth”.....but there is no indication of when that mighty act of creation took place. Science can only estimate the age of the universe, but they can radiometrically date the things they excavate, though not perfectly.
They know that the earth itself is very ancient because uranium turns to lead after a certain period of time. But they still mine uranium, albeit for a wicked purpose.

According to science, one of the great advantages of the radiometric dating schemes is that any sample provides two clocks, one based on uranium-235's decay to lead-207 with a half-life of about 700 million years, and one based on uranium-238's decay to lead-206 with a half-life of about 4.5 billion years, providing a built-in crosscheck that allows accurate determination.
I share the same thoughts as you regarding death. Dead till the resurrection. But I cannot imagine Heaven without our beloved pets, at the very least, and well, why not?
Looking forward to my kitties, puppies, and ferrets, in the earth made new.
I have no doubt that pets will always be a part of human life, but there are no animals in heaven. Only spirit creatures can exist in the spirit realm. Animals are “souls” like us....living, breathing creatures designed for life on earth.

So what then is your definition of “heaven”?....and, in what way is “the earth made new”? Is heaven on earth?
I firmly believe God will resurrect our pets.
Is that biblical?.....or is it wishful thinking? It would be nice, but what makes you believe that?

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Literal 6 day creation. No animal deaths before sin.
Jesus comes--we go to Heaven--we view the judgement books for ourselves.in 1000 years We descend with God in the Holy city. Satan destroyed New heavens and new earth.

It is neither sin nor anathema to believe you will have your beloved pets returned to you. He knows how much I love them.

DJT_47

Oct 29, 2022
Michigan/Sterling Heights
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Numbers 22 is intriguing: the Lord opens the mouth of Balaam’s donkey, who speaks to his master. Notice that God does not give special intelligence and speech to the donkey, but simply “opens his mouth” and he speaks! Then the angel asks the penetrating question of Balaam, “‘Why have you struck your donkey?’” (vs. 32, NKJV). God was concerned about the cruel abuse of an animal! My daughter, Rahel Schafer, has recently defended her Ph.D. dissertation dealing with the many other passages in which the animals speak, and even cry out to God, and God answers their cry!1 See, for example, Job 12:7–9; 40:15–19; 41:10; Psalm 104:21, 27, 28; and Isaiah 43:20.

Along with God’s frequently expressed concern for the animals in the Old Testament is the instructive verse on the lips of Jesus in the New Testament: “‘Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God’” (Luke 12:6, NIV). In biblical thought, for God to “remember” is to act in behalf of someone or something (see Genesis 8:1, in which God remembered Noah and the animals in the ark by delivering them from death). If God does not “forget” the sparrows that fall (die), then doesn’t this imply that He will “remember,” i.e., act in behalf of the ones who have fallen—save them?

Romans 8:20 and 21 describes how the whole creation is groaning and travailing, waiting for restoration: “The creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God” (WEB). Do these references perhaps imply that God’s non-human creatures on this earth, which had no responsibility for the origin of evil, will be ultimately set free from decay/curse by their resurrection/salvation?

I find it fascinating to read the comments of Ellen G. White, describing the affection and trusting qualities of animals: “The intelligence displayed by many dumb animals approaches so closely to human intelligence that it is a mystery. The animals see and hear and love and fear and suffer. They use their organs far more faithfully than many human beings use theirs. They manifest sympathy and tenderness toward their companions in suffering. Many animals show an affection for those who have charge of them, far superior to the affection shown by some of the human race. They form attachments for man which are not broken without great suffering to them.”2

A host of recent studies of animal behavior, intelligence, and emotion are now substantiating these comments.3 The love and trust of these animals—are not these the very qualities that God is seeking in His human followers, the qualities that will fit them for heaven? If the animals possess such qualities, are they not also fit for heaven?

C. S. Lewis suggested that perhaps the animals that have been pets and others who have attained to a “soul,” developing positive qualities such as love and trust, will in particular be the ones resurrected.4 What Lewis did not recognize is that the Bible calls all animals “souls” or “persons,” just like human beings (Gen. 1:20, 21, 24, 30; 9:10, etc.).

Throughout his multi-volume allegory of the plan of salvation, The Chronicles of Narnia, Lewis explored the further possibility of animals talking. The Bible seems to concur: Psalm 148 describes “‘Beasts and all cattle; creeping things and winged fowl” (vs. 10, NASB) as among those creatures that praise the Lord. Revelation 5:13 has “every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: ‘To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever’” (NIV).

The language of Psalm 104:24 to 30 may imply the end-time resurrection of marine and celestial as well as terrestrial creatures. S. R. Driver writes: “Few, if any, readers of the Old Testament seem to have noticed that, as the text [of Psalm 104:24–30] stands and as it can only be read without violating normal standards of interpretation, they are committed to the strange doctrine of the resurrection not only of man and of birds and beasts but also of Leviathan and the ‘creeping’ or rather ‘gliding things innumerable’ which swim in the sea (Ps. civ. 10–30).”5 Driver points out that the “they all” (vs. 27, NASB) which “are created” (vs. 30, NIV) “must mean all, not some, of them, sc. of God’s creatures, whether men and beasts and birds or fishes, mentioned in the course of the psalm.”6 Although Driver acknowledges that this is the meaning of the text in its present form, he assumes such meaning to be “objectionable” and thus suggests radical excision of the text. But if one accepts the text as it stands, as I think is the best position to take, then this passage seems to point toward the resurrection of a wide range of animals.

I do not intend to imply that the above evidence is conclusive. It is only suggestive at best. But there are enough “hints” in inspired sources that we do not need to inform our children when they lose pets that they will never see them again. For children, whose whole life may have been wrapped up in a precious pet, to tell them the animal will never be resurrected, unnecessarily gives negative signals about God’s character of love. I suggest, instead, that parents tell their children, when a pet dies, “When you get to heaven, if you want your pet to be there, God will certainly give you the desire of your heart.” This is a safe answer, for Scripture says, “Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart” (Ps. 37:4, NKJV), and if the animals should not be resurrected, then in our immortal state we will not desire them. Paul’s promise in 1 Corinthians 2:9 is to the point (quoting Isaiah), “‘No eye has seen, nor ear heard, nor the human heart conceived, what God has prepared for those who love him’” (NRSV). Why not envision the resurrection of our pets and other animals in this promise?

I find the possibility of the resurrection of animals consistent with the whole great controversy between and Christ and Satan, in which God will at last make everything right. When I think of all the innocent animals that have suffered at the hands of cruel humans, and other animals who have suffered while Satan rejoiced, I’m led to believe that God can hardly wait to make right this part of Satan’s work, too. One must also take account of all the innocent sacrifices as part of the divinely ordained Old Testament ceremonial system, which revealed in symbolism the horror of sin and its baleful results, and pointed toward the coming of the Lamb of God. I cannot imagine that God would allow all of this divinely directed innocent suffering without finally “remembering” those who have suffered by saving/resurrecting them!

I’m not “dog”matic about this suggestion. God may have another way to solve this problem that is far beyond what I now imagine! I know God will do what is best. Someday soon we will know for sure when we see Him (and our pets and other animals?) face to face in heaven! In that day, “there will no longer be any death; there shall no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away!” (Rev. 21:4, NASB).

NOTES AND REFERENCES

1. A. Rahel Schafer, “‘You, YHWH, Save Humans and Animals’: God’s Response to the Vocalized Needs of Non-human Animals as Portrayed in the Old Testament” (Ph.D. dissertation, Wheaton College, 2015).​

2. The Ministry of Healing, 315, 316.​

3. See, e.g., Vint Virga, The Soul of All Living Creatures: What Animals Can Teach Us About Being Human (New York: Broadway, 2014); Virginia Morell, Animals Wise: How We Know Animals Think and Feel (New York: Broadway, 2014).​

4. C. S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain (New York: Macmillan, 1962), 129–143.​

5. See G. R. Driver, “The Resurrection of Marine and Terrestrial Creatures,” Journal of Semitic Studies

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Literal 6 day creation.
Not even the Bible supports that idea. The creative “days” were actually creative periods of undetermined length. The Hebrew word for “day” doesn’t just mean 24 hours, and to back that up, it says “there was evening and there was morning” for each “day”......For Jews, the day begins at sundown and ends at sundown, but these “days” began in the evening but were concluded in the morning.....that is not a 24 hour day...is it?

The Genesis account was not given to a learned race, but to people who had been enslaved for hundreds of years. Even though the Egyptians were superior in their education, I am not sure they passed that education on to their slaves. The simple terms used in Genesis would have sufficed without a lot of explaining, such as we do today when pseudo-science is used to discredit the Bible.....yet, true and provable science backs it up.
The two methods that science uses to date things are obviously not fool proof, but they do indicate an old earth and fossils prove that creatures existed way longer than 6,000 years.
Radiocarbon dating is used for dating once-living matter less than 40,000 years old, like wood and charcoal. Uranium dating techniques are used for dating objects from thousands to billions of years old.
No animal deaths before sin.
I see no evidence for that in Scripture at all.....do you have some references that tell us otherwise?

The only way Adam could know what death meant, was to see what happened to animals. He was privileged to name them all, which would have taken quite some time to give each creature an appropriate name....certainly not 24 hours.
Jesus comes--we go to Heaven--we view the judgement books for ourselves.in 1000 years We descend with God in the Holy city. Satan destroyed New heavens and new earth.
I see the scenario very differently....Jesus is already here and has been for over a hundred years, overseeing the work he assigned to his disciples in the period the Bible calls “the time of the end”. (Foretold by Daniel some 500 years before Jesus was born. Dan 12:9-10)

As he said in Matt 28:19-20, before he left to return to heaven.....”Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the end of the age.”

In Matt 24, Jesus gave his disciples a series of important world events that would indicate his “presence” (parousia) not his “coming”. He said that this was the sign that he had arrived, which is why the world is waiting in vain for something that has already taken place. They are expecting a visible coming, which takes place only when he appears as judge of all...at the very end of this time period.

All the features of the sign that he gave have been fulfilled, starting with unprecedented warfare. What do they call the first global war in the history of mankind?.....“The First World War”, which was followed by the Spanish Flu pandemic and food shortages everywhere, because the war effort in every nation, made food scarce.
We have seen more major earthquakes since 1914 than in the centuries before, and false “Christs” leading people astray, sometimes to their death.
And who can doubt that love has all but disappeared from this world of horribly selfish governments and people in general?...losing spirituality to a love of money and material things. (2 Tim 3:1-5)

Jesus is here, and he has been judging mankind for some time, so that when he manifests as the scriptures indicate, all those living at that time will already be in one of only two categories....”sheep or goats”.

He is overseeing the preaching and disciple making work that he commanded so that a thorough witness would be given to the whole world before he passes sentence. He said he would be with them in this work......so who are doing what Christ commanded for this time of the end? (Matt 24:14; Matt 10:11-14; Acts 20:20)
It is neither sin nor anathema to believe you will have your beloved pets returned to you. He knows how much I love them.
Like I said, our wishful thinking will not make something true, when he never said that we could expect that our pets will come back with our dearly departed family members.

God does know how much we love our pets, but perhaps he can make that grief disappear when the saved ones find themselves walking out onto a cleansed earth after the destruction of the wicked.

Did you know that the Israelites were never said to keep pets? They kept livestock for food and fleece and for sacrifice, but it was the Greeks who kept puppies as pets.
When Jesus told his disciples to “flee to the mountains” when the Roman army threatened to destroy Jerusalem, he said to only take a few provisions and the clothes that they were wearing. He said nothing about taking their animals.

Animals were created with a limited life span, only humans had the prospect of living on earth forever. (Gen 3:22-24; Psalm 37:29) Jesus said that to enjoy “everlasting life,” we must exercise faith and take in knowledge of God—something that animals are incapable of doing.

So have we allowed our animals to occupy a place in our hearts that they were never meant to?
Is it all part of our imperfection to put our animals on a par with humans in believing that God will resurrect them? There is nothing in the scriptures that says animals will live forever.
Do we believe scripture, or our own misled hearts?
Whatever God does in the future, we will never be upset or disappointed about it.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not even the Bible supports that idea. The creative “days” were actually creative periods of undetermined length. The Hebrew word for “day” doesn’t just mean 24 hours, and to back that up, it says “there was evening and there was morning” for each “day”......For Jews, the day begins at sundown and ends at sundown, but these “days” began in the evening but were concluded in the morning.....that is not a 24 hour day...is it?

The Genesis account was not given to a learned race, but to people who had been enslaved for hundreds of years. Even though the Egyptians were superior in their education, I am not sure they passed that education on to their slaves. The simple terms used in Genesis would have sufficed without a lot of explaining, such as we do today when pseudo-science is used to discredit the Bible.....yet, true and provable science backs it up.
The two methods that science uses to date things are obviously not fool proof, but they do indicate an old earth and fossils prove that creatures existed way longer than 6,000 years.
Radiocarbon dating is used for dating once-living matter less than 40,000 years old, like wood and charcoal. Uranium dating techniques are used for dating objects from thousands to billions of years old.

I see no evidence for that in Scripture at all.....do you have some references that tell us otherwise?

The only way Adam could know what death meant, was to see what happened to animals. He was privileged to name them all, which would have taken quite some time to give each creature an appropriate name....certainly not 24 hours.

I see the scenario very differently....Jesus is already here and has been for over a hundred years, overseeing the work he assigned to his disciples in the period the Bible calls “the time of the end”. (Foretold by Daniel some 500 years before Jesus was born. Dan 12:9-10)

As he said in Matt 28:19-20, before he left to return to heaven.....”Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the end of the age.”

In Matt 24, Jesus gave his disciples a series of important world events that would indicate his “presence” (parousia) not his “coming”. He said that this was the sign that he had arrived, which is why the world is waiting in vain for something that has already taken place. They are expecting a visible coming, which takes place only when he appears as judge of all...at the very end of this time period.

All the features of the sign that he gave have been fulfilled, starting with unprecedented warfare. What do they call the first global war in the history of mankind?.....“The First World War”, which was followed by the Spanish Flu pandemic and food shortages everywhere, because the war effort in every nation, made food scarce.
We have seen more major earthquakes since 1914 than in the centuries before, and false “Christs” leading people astray, sometimes to their death.
And who can doubt that love has all but disappeared from this world of horribly selfish governments and people in general?...losing spirituality to a love of money and material things. (2 Tim 3:1-5)

Jesus is here, and he has been judging mankind for some time, so that when he manifests as the scriptures indicate, all those living at that time will already be in one of only two categories....”sheep or goats”.

He is overseeing the preaching and disciple making work that he commanded so that a thorough witness would be given to the whole world before he passes sentence. He said he would be with them in this work......so who are doing what Christ commanded for this time of the end? (Matt 24:14; Matt 10:11-14; Acts 20:20)

Like I said, our wishful thinking will not make something true, when he never said that we could expect that our pets will come back with our dearly departed family members.

God does know how much we love our pets, but perhaps he can make that grief disappear when the saved ones find themselves walking out onto a cleansed earth after the destruction of the wicked.

Did you know that the Israelites were never said to keep pets? They kept livestock for food and fleece and for sacrifice, but it was the Greeks who kept puppies as pets.
When Jesus told his disciples to “flee to the mountains” when the Roman army threatened to destroy Jerusalem, he said to only take a few provisions and the clothes that they were wearing. He said nothing about taking their animals.

Animals were created with a limited life span, only humans had the prospect of living on earth forever. (Gen 3:22-24; Psalm 37:29) Jesus said that to enjoy “everlasting life,” we must exercise faith and take in knowledge of God—something that animals are incapable of doing.

So have we allowed our animals to occupy a place in our hearts that they were never meant to?
Is it all part of our imperfection to put our animals on a par with humans in believing that God will resurrect them? There is nothing in the scriptures that says animals will live forever.
Whatever God does in the future, we will never be upset or disappointed about it.
I dont see what you see in Genesis at all. 6 day and rested the 7th. That is what it says.You guys have creation week thousands of years. And the part you wrote about fleeing to the mountains and not taking pets is , I'm sorry, but it is kind of a stupid argument. Who said anything about that? I am speaking of a different thing--spending eternal life with an animal you loved is not a misled heart . And as for Scripture , nothing is said about it overtly. While the Israelites may not have kept pets in the modern sense, it doesn't mean they didn't have any affection for animals or form bonds with them in other capacities.
And I don't see what is wrong in God resurrecting a pet you loved.

I could say the same thing about you and the fact you don't see Creation Week, as a week, when that is what Scripture says.
I'm sticking by what i posted. You aren't going to convince me of anything with regard to Creation week or resurrected pets.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
b1957ab734a15bc7884ce3a1ea82b4fc.jpg