The Devil's work

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
What did Jesus say? It is written? That's very interesting. Maybe you should have the same confidence in the written word that Jesus had.

As Paul Harvey used to say "now for the rest of the story".

As it is written in the Scriptures, `They will all be taught by God.' [fn] Everyone who hears and learns from the Father comes to me. John 6:45

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Paul Harvey used to say "now for the rest of the story".

As it is written in the Scriptures, `They will all be taught by God.'
Everyone who hears and learns from the Father comes to me. John 6:45

No, the story doesn't stop there either.

Act 17:10 The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue.
Act 17:11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness,
examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.
Act 17:12 Many of them therefore believed. . .

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

No, the story doesn't stop there either.

Act 17:10 The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue.
Act 17:11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness,
examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.
Act 17:12 Many of them therefore believed. . .

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

Tis true, but what was the "word" they received?

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tis true, but what was the "word" they received?

The same "word" they found in the Scriptures they were examining to confim the truthfulness of what they had just heard from an inspired Apostle. The Berean Jews were considered "more noble" for doing this.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
[font="Gentium]οὗτοι δὲ ἦσαν εὐγενέστεροι τῶν ἐν Θεσσαλονίκῃ οἵτινες ἐδέξαντο τὸν λόγον μετὰ πάσης προθυμίας καθ’ ἡμέραν ἀνακρίνοντες τὰς γραφὰς εἰ ἔχοι ταῦτα οὕτως[/font]
[font="Gentium]
[/font]
[font="Gentium]These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word ( λόγον logos) with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures ( γραφὰς graphe) daily, whether those things were so.[/font]
[font="Gentium]
[/font]
[font="Gentium]Obviously the same Greek words would have been used if it were intended to imply that the word and scriptures were one and the same.[/font]

Robbie

Jan 4, 2011
Huntington Beeach
That makes sense to me jiggyfly because it agrees with what Jesus said... you search the scripture to see if these things are so because they testify to the Him... they testify to God's Word... but we're not to get stuck trying to find eternal life in the scriptures... once we believe the testimony we should run to Him so we can have Life!!!

EPIC!!!

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[font="Gentium]οὗτοι δὲ ἦσαν εὐγενέστεροι τῶν ἐν Θεσσαλονίκῃ οἵτινες ἐδέξαντο τὸν λόγον μετὰ πάσης προθυμίας καθ’ ἡμέραν ἀνακρίνοντες τὰς γραφὰς εἰ ἔχοι ταῦτα οὕτως[/font]
[font="Gentium]
[/font]
[font="Gentium]These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word ( λόγον logos) with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures ( γραφὰς graphe) daily, whether those things were so.[/font]
[font="Gentium]
[/font]
[font="Gentium]Obviously the same Greek words would have been used if it were intended to imply that the word and scriptures were one and the same.[/font]

That's it? So you're assuming that God's word can't possibly be termed "graphe?" Why stop there? Why not assume that the word of God can't be called "preaching?" The word "graphe" merely labels a particular form of God's word in the same way that the word "preaching" does. "Graphe" means "writing." As I pointed out already, it's that written form that was used to validate the preached word of an inspired Apostle. Did I mention that the Berean Jews were commended for their actions? That means that the written word is the standard by which the preached word is judged. If that were not enough, how can "all Scripture" be "God-breathed" and yet not God's word? I'm afraid your assumption here is unfounded.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
That's it? So you're assuming that God's word can't possibly be termed "graphe?" Why stop there? Why not assume that the word of God can't be called "preaching?" The word "graphe" merely labels a particular form of God's word in the same way that the word "preaching" does. "Graphe" means "writing." As I pointed out already, it's that written form that was used to validate the preached word of an inspired Apostle. Did I mention that the Berean Jews were commended for their actions? That means that the written word is the standard by which the preached word is judged. If that were not enough, how can "all Scripture" be "God-breathed" and yet not God's word? I'm afraid your assumption here is unfounded.

Wasn't assuming anything here just making a point that your earlier summation was incomplete, thats all. Reference post #79.
smile.gif

jacobtaylor

Feb 11, 2011
Wasn't assuming anything here just making a point that your earlier summation was incomplete, thats all. Reference post #49.
smile.gif

Well post 49 is mine. I don't see the connection. Are you implicating I support or don't support comparing scripture with scripture? You can take any complete statement, and by not considering the entire context distort the entire meaning. That is what my post is about. Comparing scripture with scripture as the Berean's did is hardly being selective or making a case against any part of scripture. Maybe the anti bible boys can explain the difference between the spoken words of God, and those same words being written for future generations? God is not mocked nor does He lie. Comparing what Paul taught, against the OT to be certain what God has said should also be exercised today. Comaring what the original witnesses taught with what is taught today. Now I'm not saying people shouldn't or can't walk in the Spirit, as Robbie and aspen supports I do as well, but it has to be compered with the recorded word of God. Other wise me make the word of God of no value, and that is exactly what some are trying to do.

Post # 49
I know what to say, the same thing I tell anyone that treats the Bible as a department store. You can't just grab a cart and pick and choose.
You reduce the bible to any other book, If the bible is not from beginning to end Gods inspired word you may as well say man has no reason to try to understand it. You don't trust it. Tell me how do you and aspen determine what is and is not of God. I'll tell you how, you make a choice based on your gut instinct.

Let me give you an example of yours and aspens theology. Robbie says Oh look here it says all we have to do is believe in Jesus and were saved. Aspen says; ya it says here love your neighbor as yourself and you've fulfilled the law.done it all. You both close the bible and decide theirs no reason to continue, you know everything you need to know. You can't understand why people think God inspired 66 books by 40 authors when all he needed was two sentences, there fore the rest is just useless. All I can say is maybe you should both grow up.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Well post 49 is mine. I don't see the connection. Are you implicating I support or don't support comparing scripture with scripture? You can take any complete statement, and by not considering the entire context distort the entire meaning. That is what my post is about. Comparing scripture with scripture as the Berean's did is hardly being selective or making a case against any part of scripture. Maybe the anti bible boys can explain the difference between the spoken words of God, and those same words being written for future generations? God is not mocked nor does He lie. Comparing what Paul taught, against the OT to be certain what God has said should also be exercised today. Comaring what the original witnesses taught with what is taught today. Now I'm not saying people shouldn't or can't walk in the Spirit, as Robbie and aspen supports I do as well, but it has to be compered with the recorded word of God. Other wise me make the word of God of no value, and that is exactly what some are trying to do.

Post # 49

Sorry my bad it should be post #79. I edited my other post and corrected my mistake, thanks for pointing it out Jacob
smile.gif