The Difference between RIGHEOUSNESS and HOLINESS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not be left behind or unprotected during the Great Tribulation that is just about upon us, even at the door. Of the 7 church ages, only the Philadelphian type of Christian will be kept from the hour of trial. That means either raptured in a pre-trib rapture, or supernaturally protected as the children of Israel were during the Egyptian plagues.

Revelation 22:11
11 He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still.”

Righteous:
1 John 3 has to do with righteousness. It is also about sinlessness from lawlessness (10 Commandments). That is a cleansing of our sin nature back to the human nature God first created in Adam. Satan who is the one that put sin in our nature to be inherited through Adam has been defeated. 1 John 3:8-9 Jesus destroyed the works of the devil. Now through belief in Christ as we repent we receive the Spirit of Christ in us and according to 1 John 1:9 are cleansed of ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS.

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.

verse 24
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Righteousness is not sinless perfection people talk about, just sinlessness. Perfection comes next through the same abiding in Christ and He in us, and takes a while.

Holiness:
To be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect, ALL the fruit of the Spirit must become mature, then we are ensured of our place in heaven.
John 15:1-4
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean (sinless) because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
2 Peter 1:5-11
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Report Edit

Reactions: MatthewG

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Explain this?

1 John 5:16-17

New International Version

16 If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that.17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Explain this?

1 John 5:16-17​

New International Version​

16 If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death. I am not saying that you should pray about that.17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

Read Numbers 15:22-36.
Verses 22-29 is the sins not unto death, meaning they had a sacrifice to cover those sins. Catholics call them venial sins. 1 John 1:7 shows someone walking in the Spirit but still has immature fruit of the Spirit and the blood of Jesus cleanses him automatically because he is abiding in Jesus. When walking in the Spirit he cannot break a Commandment of God; it is not in his nature to commit a mortal sin.

Verses 30-36 is about sins unto death. 1 John 3:4 shows them as lawlessness. Both texts are talking about breaking the commandments of God. In the Old Testament they stoned someone who broke a commandment of God. There was no sacrifice to cover these sins.

Last edited:

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Read Numbers 15:22-36.
Verses 22-29 is the sins not unto death, meaning they had a sacrifice to cover those sins. Catholics call them venial sins. 1 John 1:7 shows someone walking in the Spirit but still has immature fruit of the Spirit and the blood of Jesus cleanses him automatically because he is abiding in Jesus. When walking in the Spirit he cannot break a Commandment of God; it is not in his nature to commit a mortal sin.

Verses 30-36 is about sins unto death. 1 John 3:4 shows them as lawlessness. Both texts are talking about breaking the commandments of God. In the Old Testament they stoned someone who broke a commandment of God. There was no sacrifice to cover these sins.
Jesus is Coming
…13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” 14Blessed are those who wash their robes,so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by its gates.15But outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is Coming
…13I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.” 14Blessed are those who wash their robes,so that they may have the right to the tree of life and may enter the city by its gates.15But outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and everyone who loves and practices falsehood.

What I'd like you to see here is that these martyrs already have robes to wash. They were not naked. That means these Christians were already in the Church before they went into the Great Tribulation and had to endure martyrdom. Evidently they were lukewarm Christians before and not Philadelphian type Christians on fire for God and keeping the whole of Scripture. No Gentiles become a new Christian during the GT. 2 Thess. 2:8-12. The GT is the time for all of Israel that is left to be saved. Romans 11:25-26

Last edited:

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 12:14
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

One cannot be in right standing with the Lord without being set apart unto the Lord belonging to Him exclusively and not whoring around in the world (walking after the flesh)

Reactions: Episkopos

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What I'd like you to see here is that these martyrs already have robes to wash. They were not naked. That means these Christians were already in the Church before they went into the Great Tribulation and had to endure martyrdom. Evidently they were lukewarm Christians before and not Philadelphian type Christians on fire for God and keeping the whole of Scripture. No Gentiles become a new Christian during the GT. 2 Thess. 2:8-12. The GT is the time for all of Israel that is left to be saved. Romans 11:25-26
Thank you for that explanation.

What you also need to see is....that was your opinion...

Another opinion...online source.

These garments signify in part, God's provision, favor, healing and deliverance by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. All of this flows from His incredible love. In Christ, we are clothed in garments of salvation and a robe of righteousness.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for that explanation.

What you also need to see is....that was your opinion...

Another opinion...online source.

These garments signify in part, God's provision, favor, healing and deliverance by the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. All of this flows from His incredible love. In Christ, we are clothed in garments of salvation and a robe of righteousness.
You're welcome. I base this on New Testament Scripture.

Revelation 3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see.

Revelation 16:15 “Behold, I am coming as a thief. Blessed is he who watches, and keeps his garments, lest he walk naked and they see his shame.”

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Explain this?

1 John 5:16-17​

New International Version​

Physical death or spiritual death? Some people jump to the conclusion that John is talking about believers committing certain sins that lead them to spiritual death, but that does not seem to fit the context.

1 John 5:16 - If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. 18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Physical death or spiritual death? Some people jump to the conclusion that John is talking about believers committing certain sins that lead them to spiritual death, but that does not seem to fit the context.

Ah!!...yes, that certainly makes sense...thank you Brother for sharing...this sheep is listening.
1 John 5:16 - If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death. 18 We know that whoever is born of God does not sin; but he who has been born of God keeps himself, and the wicked one does not touch him.
In Jesus Name!....Amen!!

• Love
Reactions: mailmandan

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 12:14
Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

One cannot be in right standing with the Lord without being set apart unto the Lord belonging to Him exclusively and not whoring around in the world (walking after the flesh)
Those who teach salvation by works/works righteousness misapply Hebrews 12:14 to imply that if we are not sufficiently living a "holy enough" life then we won't be saved. This is not about obtaining "enough" personal holiness (practically speaking) in order to merit eternal life based on our "holier than thou" performance.

The NASB reads - Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord. Those who are sanctified have been "set apart" or "made holy" in standing before God positionally in Christ. 1 Corinthians 6:11 - Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God. Without justification there is no sanctification.

In the very next verse (Hebrews 12:15) we read - See to it that no one falls short of the grace of God. (NIV) The NASB reads comes short of the grace of God.. and the ESV reads - ..fails to obtain the grace of God. That puts things into perspective here.

• Love

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those who teach salvation by works/works righteousness misapply Hebrews 12:14 to imply that if we are not sufficiently living a "holy enough" life then we won't be saved.

So, did you remove Hebrews 12:14 from your bible and tell the Lord somebody snuck a lie in to His Word when He wasn't paying attention? laughing.gif

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Amen

for one, You can not witness or see someone dieting spiritually.. You can only see if they died physically

If I see someone get drunk, and get behind the wheel of a car and wrap it around a tree and they die. I have seen someone commit a sin that led to death

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The difference between righteousness and holiness

the term righteous means without fault or error. it means we are in right standing. It means we are innocent of wrong doing

the word holy literally means to be set apart.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not be left behind or unprotected during the Great Tribulation that is just about upon us, even at the door. Of the 7 church ages, only the Philadelphian type of Christian will be kept from the hour of trial. That means either raptured in a pre-trib rapture, or supernaturally protected as the children of Israel were during the Egyptian plagues.

Revelation 22:11
11 He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still.”

Righteous:
1 John 3 has to do with righteousness. It is also about sinlessness from lawlessness (10 Commandments). That is a cleansing of our sin nature back to the human nature God first created in Adam. Satan who is the one that put sin in our nature to be inherited through Adam has been defeated. 1 John 3:8-9 Jesus destroyed the works of the devil. Now through belief in Christ as we repent we receive the Spirit of Christ in us and according to 1 John 1:9 are cleansed of ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS.

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness. 5 And you know that He was manifested to take away our sins, and in Him there is no sin. 6 Whoever abides in Him does not sin. Whoever sins has neither seen Him nor known Him. 7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.

verse 24
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

Righteousness is not sinless perfection people talk about, just sinlessness. Perfection comes next through the same abiding in Christ and He in us, and takes a while.

Holiness:
To be perfect as our Father in heaven is perfect, ALL the fruit of the Spirit must become mature, then we are ensured of our place in heaven.
John 15:1-4
“I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. 2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean (sinless) because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
2 Peter 1:5-11
5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Report Edit
Just would like to point out one scripture from Revelation.

Revelation 22:14 14 Blessed are those who [a]do His commandments, that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.

Which in turn makes me remember about the Sermon on the mount, bless are those who.

Reactions: Philip James

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Second thessalonians chapter 2 . God is sending strong delusions on those who love not the truth.
Those banking on the rapture, will worship satan as antichrist 6th trump. This isn't time to play church or be biblically illiterate.
Psalm chapter 9 . The wicked have spot in hell. It's holding place for the spirtualty dead or wicked. Those who worshipped antichrist will be in sheol.

Those who teach tradition of men and false doctrine will be in sheol.

Matthew chapter 5:20 . Jesus said, For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven.

False brethren and the wicked have spot in hell.

Sugar coating God's word. Making distortions to God's word.

Ephesians chapter 6 . Gospel armour is only way past antichrist lies and deception. Its knowledge and wisdom of God's word.

Those who embrace rapture, will be deceived by antichrist near future. These fake brethren will be with satan in the pit.

Why put yourself in this position??

Teach sound doctrine and conform to God's standard.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those banking on the rapture

God's Word teaches there is going to be a catching away of the Church... it is biblical truth so nobody should be denying there IS going to be a rapture.

It's a matter of WHEN... and it's not going to happen until after the anti-christ is revealed to the world meaning it's most likely a mid trib event since the first part of the great tribulation is realitively peacful since the anti-christ comes to power under the promises of worldwide peace which of course is a false peace

2 Thessalonians 2:1-3
Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto Him, (this is speaking of the rapture - the catching away of the Church)
That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.
Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day (Rapture) shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

So... Christians should be mindful that when some guy comes on the world wide scene claiming to have answers for all the world's problems and they suddenly make him leader of the world... DON'T FOLLOW HIM!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, did you remove Hebrews 12:14 from your bible and tell the Lord somebody snuck a lie in to His Word when He wasn't paying attention? View attachment 37609
I did not remove Hebrews 12:14 from the Bible. I simply corrected your eisegesis. It amazes me to see how everything that I explained to you in post #11 just went right over your head.

• Love

Karl Peters

May 18, 2021
Fontana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To answer the question in the OP:

Righteousness is doing things right.

Holiness is being used by God,

For example a piece of land in neither righteous nor unrighteous because a piece of land does not "act". So God could tell Moses that the ground he was on is holy.

Exo 3:5 Then He said, “Do not come near here; remove your sandals from your feet, for the place on which you are standing is holy ground.”

So in the same way men can be used by God - "holy" and that regardless of whether they are righteous men or not!

Exo 22:31 “You shall be holy men to Me, therefore you shall not eat any flesh torn to pieces in the field; you shall throw it to the dogs.

In the above verse we see that the holy men are being used by God, and therefore they got instructions from God. Did they follow the instructions or not? We don't know because the verse did not call them holy because they followed the instruction, but they were called holy then given the instruction. So being holy is based upon the intent of God and not the acts of righteousness!

Of course we are told how well men - which would include the holy men - are at doing righteous acts!

Rom 3:10 as it is written,
“THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE;

This is statement of reality and a statement fact concerning us humans. None of us, "NOT EVEN ONE" of us is righteous.

Which explains why the Father sent His only begotten Son.

It also explains why the Bible explains that Abram was counted as righteous because he believes when he heard the word of the Lord and not because Abram was performing righteous acts!

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying,
“Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you; Your reward shall be very great.” ...

... Gen 15: 5 And He took him outside and said, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be. And He took him outside and said, “Now look toward the heavens, and count the stars, if you are able to count them.” And He said to him, “So shall your descendants be.”

Gen 15: 6 Then he believed in the LORD; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.

So the only act of any kind, if it could be considered an act, is Abram hearing and believing. Therefore we are saved by faith and not because of our righteous acts - eg. "righteousness"!

All unrighteousness is sin, and so we still find the principle that sin (unrighteousness) is present in us, even us believers!! And that still applies to everyone, because all have sinned so NOT EVEN ONE of us is righteous!

These are facts laid out in the Bible, and if a Christian you must accept those facts. You indeed should have had them explained to you, but perhaps not all Christian, which are His sheep who hear His voice, have had the time patience and interest to listen to Him on this subject.

Indeed I have encountered Christian which seem to think that they have not sin (unrighteousness), thereby proclaiming that all they do is righteous. Yet that in not from God!

1 Jon 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we are deceiving ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Saul the Pharisee seemed to be thinking that way as he went down the road to Damascus, but Paul the Christian who heard from the Lord understood, like John did.

Rom 7:12.13 for sin, taking an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.
So then, the Law is holy, and the commandment is holy and righteous and good.

In the above verse we can see that the Law is holy- meaning that it is used by God though the Law does not act. However the commandment was an action, and that from God. So the commandment, and thus the One who makes the commandments (The Word of God, Jesus Christ) is both holy and righteous and good!! Of course, only God is good, so the Word of God (Jesus Christ) is God!

Jn 1:1,2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.

And so we, like Abram, are " reckoned " as righteous because we believe in Him, and not because we are righteous (doing everything right) We still find like Paul found - that we are not even practicing what we want!! And that even includes following the Law and hearing Him as much as we should.

Rom 7:15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.
But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good.

So go back to the verse Romans 10:13 and take a close look at is. It reads: "the commandment is holy and righteous and good."

Note - It does not read the 10 commandments but rather "THE" commandment!

What is "THE" commandment - which Paul was referring to??

I can tell you. It is the foremost commandment which God commanded through Moses, and the Jesus explained was the foremost commandment, and which Isaiah started off with, and which is also what the Father spoke from the cloud. And of course then "THE" commandment which is both holy and righteous is:

Hear, O Israel!

Which restated is, "Then a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!” (Luke 9:35)

Hearing from His Son, Jesus Christ, who is The Word of God, is the right thing to do!! Yeah - we like Paul, do not practice it like we should! We should all understand this and thus encourage one another to listen to Him everyday called Today.

Thus we are both holy unto God and also counted as "righteous" if we hear from Him, The Word of God who took on flesh.
Yet even if I hear from Him Today and believe it was the Lord whom I heard from, does that mean I still get everything right?

No, let us not be silly. I can hear Him tell me to do something, and even if I believe it was Him who I heard from and take actions based upon my hearing and believing; I can still mess it up!! Indeed, I usually do in one way or another. Yet He knows me and can use me, even if I am not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Holiness is being used by God,

Holiness is being separated from that which God says is darkness and evil.

2 Corinthians 6:17
Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

The Lord does not receive those that just give lip service to being a believer who are still playing around with the world and are not separated unto the Lord as belonging to Him exclusively.