The Doctrine of Purgatory in Catholic Biblical Perspective

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Bible teaches that we may know we have eternal life which is as you posted saved by Grace .not confession not baptism not communion or works but by Grace only .did any one teach you that growing up ?

NO!

And now I wonder about my family ! They are all gone when I got saved.
[ Pa,,, Ma,,,,,,,,, Brother ........ Sister......... ?
do not know if I will see them ?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Status as from her own natural birth? Ha.

If that WAS the case...apparently that was News to God...since ...

The angel Notified Mary...God had FOUND (discovered) FAVOR In/with Mary...

The angel Notified Mary...the Power of the Holy Spirit Shall ...come upon her...

Apparently you do not comprehend....

Nothing notifies the reader that Mary had Gods favor in her.....until God "found" favor in her.

[30] ...thou hast found favour with God.

Nothing in Scripture notifies the reader, God found favor in Mary when she was naturally born.

The Holy Spirit was not Upon her, until it came upon her, which had NOT occured when the Angel was speaking to her.

[35] ... The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee,

The Holy Spirit was not IN her, until After Jesus ascended up to Heaven in His Risen body.

Preaching "STATUS" is the "means" by which a person IS "SINLESS", is not taught in Scripture, and WHY you can never show it in Scripture.

Preaching any Human, is naturaly born "SINLESS" turns the truth into a Lie.

Case closed,
Glory to God,
Taken

Good post Taken,
Seems to me that if Mary was born sinless then...did HER mother conceive her in sinlessness?? This could go on and on as, her being born in "sinlessness" had to come from somewhere ... so, then that would make her mother and her mother's mother, and...you get the point... SMH. Mary needed a savior like every single one of us. Yes, she is blessed among woman, and should be honored as such but NEVER prayed to or worshiped!! Yikes! and what woman would not be blessed if they were the chosen vessel to carry Christ Jesus?

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO!

And now I wonder about my family ! They are all gone when I got saved.
[ Pa,,, Ma,,,,,,,,, Brother ........ Sister......... ?
do not know if I will see them ?
its hard to say ..i dont believe you will ever know . i don't see any sadness in heaven . just take care of your self/your walk with Christ .the Good news is he has given us all things 2 peter 1:3 His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness through the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. i have family who are catholic .. my mom bro married a catholic girl ,he was baptist she started having health issues in having a family. i was told by my mom she felt God was punishing her marring out side the catholic church so he joined thus on my mom side is catholics . i know just enough to stay away from catholic teaching .the doctrine of mary is not Bible.the doctrine of purgatory is false teaching.. what i gather baptism is a must to be saved . i dont agree with the pope ..i am ordained gen baptist but prefer non denom

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post Taken,
Seems to me that if Mary was born sinless then...did HER mother conceive her in sinlessness?? This could go on and on as, her being born in "sinlessness" had to come from somewhere ... so, then that would make her mother and her mother's mother, and...you get the point... SMH. Mary needed a savior like every single one of us. Yes, she is blessed among woman, and should be honored as such but NEVER prayed to or worshiped!! Yikes! and what woman would not be blessed if they were the chosen vessel to carry Christ Jesus?
psalms 51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
And in sin my mother conceived me. were not born saints the whole mary concept is off bases

Reactions: Taken and Nancy

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Seems to me that if Mary was born sinless then...did HER mother conceive her in sinlessness?? This could go on and on as, her being born in "sinlessness" had to come from somewhere ...

Hello Nancy,

Her sinslessness came by the Grace of God, not so that Jesus can 'inherit' sinlessness from her, but that the ark of the new covenant may be pure.
Consider the care in the construction and handling of the ark that bore the word in stone..
Do you think Jesus would take less care in making the ark that would bear the Word made flesh?

Peace be with you!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Nancy,

Her sinslessness came by the Grace of God, not so that Jesus can 'inherit' sinlessness from her, but that the ark of the new covenant may be pure.
Consider the care in the construction and handling of the ark that bore the word in stone..
Do you think Jesus would take less care in making the ark that would bear the Word made flesh?

Peace be with you!
you better stop before you dig your self deeper with human reasoning ..which what the Bible call being carnal minded.. none of what you just posted is Bible

Reactions: Nancy

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
you better stop before you dig your self deeper with human reasoning ..which what the Bible call being carnal minded.. none of what you just posted is Bible

The ark of the covenant is not bible?

Better get reading and see if these things are so...

Peace!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good post Taken,
Seems to me that if Mary was born sinless then...did HER mother conceive her in sinlessness??

BOL said, Mary's mother and father conceived her (the usual way), but that Mary was born, sinless!

Obviously BOL is unaware corrupt seeds do not produce an uncorrupted human!

I have heard it does not take long to brainwash an individual, and BOL proclaims himself a "cradle" Catholic...even saying he "received" the Holy Spirit, as a baby, without his knowledge!

This could go on and on as, her being born in "sinlessness" had to come from somewhere ... so, then that would make her mother and her mother's mother, and...you get the point... SMH.

It is psychobabble. Catholic Doctrine, which is Not Jesus' Doctrine.

Mary needed a savior like every single one of us.

Correct. Scripture reveals God favors, beloves, finds grace IN People who have heard and believe and themselves have grace. And inturn gives grace upon grace. We already know God has chosen many individuals To DO things that no other individual is called to DO. Mary just happen to be one of those individuals.

Yes, she is blessed among woman, and should be honored as such

Ofcourse. And as well, keeping others in remembrance who DID Specifice and Difficult and Outstanding things in Service to God...

but NEVER prayed to or worshiped!! Yikes!

The Catholics don't specifically teach to worship Mary...yet I know Catholics that do. And Catholics Do teach to pray to Mary, Because she is an Intercessory.
Even though In Scripture, that is Jesus' Role.

and what woman would not be blessed if they were the chosen vessel to carry Christ Jesus?

Blessed among women...
Why are so many Catholic men, clinging to her?
Do they relate to the experience of childbirth or long for an eternal Mommy?

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

BOL said, Mary's mother and father conceived her (the usual way), but that Mary was born, sinless!

Obviously BOL is unaware corrupt seeds do not produce an uncorrupted human!

I have heard it does not take long to brainwash an individual, and BOL proclaims himself a "cradle" Catholic...even saying he "received" the Holy Spirit, as a baby, without his knowledge!

It is psychobabble. Catholic Doctrine, which is Not Jesus' Doctrine.

Correct. Scripture reveals God favors, beloves, finds grace IN People who have heard and believe and themselves have grace. And inturn gives grace upon grace. We already know God has chosen many individuals To DO things that no other individual is called to DO. Mary just happen to be one of those individuals.

Ofcourse. And as well, keeping others in remembrance who DID Specifice and Difficult and Outstanding things in Service to God...

The Catholics don't specifically teach to worship Mary...yet I know Catholics that do. And Catholics Do teach to pray to Mary, Because she is an Intercessory.
Even though In Scripture, that is Jesus' Role.

Blessed among women...
Why are so many Catholic men, clinging to her?
Do they relate to the experience of childbirth or long for an eternal Mommy?

Glory to God,
Taken

Great points, well said and, maybe they DO "...long for an eternal Mommy.." :D

Reactions: Taken

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(1) At the moment of postmortem survival, do we retain the same basic moral character that we developed in this life?

Great question. The answer is Revelation 22:11

11 He who is unjust, let him be unjust still; he who is filthy, let him be filthy still; he who is righteous, let him be righteous still; he who is holy, let him be holy still.”

Reactions: Taken

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While I was catholic I never felt like I was going to heaven !
Now why do you suppose that is ??????????
I can only speculate you were spiritually abused. It's an educated guess. I'm an ongoing student of psychology and inner healing.
Going to confession and still afraid I was going to hell ! WHY !
I was not a bad child !
You were a very good child. Good children don't hate their abusive or absent fathers. They grow up and find something else to hate. That way they can stay good.
And as a adult the same way........
Growing up in a dysfunctional family and having less than perfect teachers, that's why. Their teaching methods were just as underdeveloped as anywhere else in the '40s and 50's.
Now going to a bible church, I finally know the truth......... and know that I am saved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I am going to heaven !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
I'm happy for you. Spiritual maturity involves taking a fearless moral inventory of ourselves at least twice a year. That means an honest examination of conscience before approaching God. All Christians should do this or risk remaining a spiritual infant. A good Christian cannot be perfect, otherwise only God could be a good Christian.

A good Christian examination of conscience can be a great help in making a new start in the life of faith.
We use an examination of conscience to help call to mind our sins and failings during a period of quiet reflection before approaching Our Loving Father.
It's important for a good Christian examination of conscience to be thorough. This will help you to consider what sins you are guilty of and make you aware of sins you might not realize as sins. It's also a chance to develop your conscience. This is a critical aid for any Christian.

To make an examination:
• Set aside some quiet time for reflection. •Start by praying to the Holy Spirit, asking for help in making a good examination to prepare for confession to God.
Remember that a mortal sin is committed when :

1.full Knowledge that the act (thought, word or omission) was contrary to God’s will (sinful) is possessed by the offender;
2. Full Consent (with intentionality; i.e., not forced) is held by the one committing the sin; 3..grave Matter (anything under the Ten Commandments and basic Christian precepts) is the circumstances of the sin. Not to belabor the point, but, there is a difference in grave matter between stealing a pen from work and stealing $10,000 from an orphanage.
If all three conditions are met the sin is known as mortal.

These things are serious because they break our family bond with God. They must be confessed with sincere repentance. It is impossible for children under the age of reason to be in a state of mortal sin.

It is a very good idea to confess venial sins as well, since these sins, like all sin, offend God Who deserves
all of our love..Confessing venial sins helps us to be more sensitive to God and more faithful in our love to
Him. But there is no need to be obsessive about it.

Do not worry! Do not be afraid! Jesus wants you to tell him your sins with honesty and courageousness that he may remove the hurt from your heart and soul. Do not further steep yourself in sin by concealing sins from God and yourself.

It's a good idea to talk to a mature Christian, a pastor, a councillor...someone bound to keep their mouth shut. As Scripture says in James 5, confess your sins to one another. It does not mean confess to sister Big Mouth. Confessing directly to God is easy, but if you mean business with in growing in the Lord, talk to somebody. Taking a fearless moral inventory of ourselves, admitting the exact nature of our wrongs, and making amends are part of a program that has helped millions of drug addicts and alcoholics. Don't we all underestimate it's healing power?

Words can't express the peace we get when we hear the words of absolution spoken by an ordained representative of Christ and His church. It's a beautiful sacrament for Catholics. It deepens and nourishes a truly intimate relationship with Jesus because it is so personal in it's nature and has SUBSTANCE. Going directly to God is fine but it doesn't have substance.

It's like a warm shower for the soul, not a torture chamber the way bitter ex-Catholics describe it.

prodical.png

Luke 15:11-32​

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I posted lots of scripture about Purgatory - posts 21,22 , 27 But also read post #11 first for background. And you still haven't replied to post #1040
Post #1040 has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to say about Purgatory. And you have not quoted a single Scripture which says "Christians will go to a place called Purgatory in order to be purified" (or words to that effect).

Purgatory is not even found in Maccabees. All they talk about is praying for the dead, and that is a Jewish notion which has no basis in the Bible (the Jews had also invented a lot of fictitious nonsense). That is why Maccabees is not in the Bible either (other than Catholic Bibles, which have incorporated the Apocrypha in order to support their false beliefs). But the Apocrypha is a collection of NON-INSPIRED NON-CANONICAL BOOKS.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But the Apocrypha is a collection of NON-INSPIRED NON-CANONICAL BOOKS.

How do you know that?
While we're on the subject, how do you know the books of the NT are complete? Or if maybe a couple should be removed?

Oh that's right.. Orthodox and catholic communuties preserved and collated them, copied them and distributed them... And agreed in councils of their bishops what did and did not make the cut....

Peace!

Reactions: Mungo