The Doctrine of Purgatory in Catholic Biblical Perspective

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The only special thing about Mary is that she was chosen to carry Christ.

Hello David,

'only'? just like the 'only' thing special about the ark was that it carried some holy stuff?

No sinlessness,

Can God abide in sin?

no godlike standing, she most definitely is not to be worshipped,
Agreed. Any Catholic who believed Mary was God and offered her latria would be committing a grave sin.

she has no merit to give us,

Do you hold to the Creed? Do you understand what the 'communion of the saints' is all about?

If (one) part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you hold to the Creed? Do you understand what the 'communion of the saints' is all about?

If (one) part suffers, all the parts suffer with it; if one part is honored, all the parts share its joy.

You too! Are welcome to come to the wedding feast of the Lamb of God!

Peace be with you!
I was referring to the ridiculous notion of the treasury of merit.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That still doesn't make her sinless. Nor does Scripture say that.
Correct.

The fact that she was impregnated by God didn't make her sinless. She was ALREADY sinless.
We know this because the Angel called her "Kecharitomene" - remember?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not according to you. Genesis 3:15 is about the Lady Elect Mother of Christ, PERIOD! Your interp makes no sense. The Woman in Genesis is the Woman of Isaiah and the Woman at the tree (Cross) and Rev.PERIOD!
Here’s an interesting side not on Mary being the “Woman” from Genesis 3:15 . . .

When she appeared to Juan Diego in the 16th century, he and the native people of the area spoke the Aztec dialect of Nahuatl. They gave her the name of “Coatlaxopeuh”, pronounced “Quatlasupe”. The name was corrupted by the Spanish to “Guadalupe”. Coatlaxopeuh, means “crushed serpent.” Ironically, in the Aztec religion the highest idol and creator of mankind is "Quetzalcóatl", which means “Feather-Serpent.”

So, the title of Our Lady of “Guadalupe” is literally, “Our Lady of the crushed serpent”, which is exactly what we read about her in Gen. 3:15:
“And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”

In John’s Gospel, we see the offspring (Jesus) of the “Woman” crushing the serpent's head by His sacrificial death on the cross.

Reactions: CovenantPromise

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, we have not failed. You just conjure up something out of thin air and have no proof for it. Nowhere does it say Mary is the Ark of the Covenant. Nowhere does it say she was sinless. These are all teachings of the Catholic church, not found in Scripture.

BOL has already admitted the only truth that matters. His claim, that Mary was naturally born SINNLESS... Does Not exist in Scripture. And I agree.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
– you simply CANNOT intelligently address Mary’s Biblical, God-given title of “Kecharitomene” (Luke 1:28) I’ve given you BOTH plenty of opportunities to refute this . . .

I don't have to REFUTE your supposed Title for Mary....Titles do not mean naturally born sinnless....as I already said!

I don't have to REFUTE your claim Mary was...Kecharitimene ... and your claim Kecharitimene means, perfectly endowed grace....Your Kecharitimene does not mean naturally born sinnless....as I already said!

Mary was a Human person with Human parents.
Humans are NOT SINLESS.
A Sinless person would have NO NEED for a Savior.
Jesus was Mary's Savior, that she herself acknowledged.

I Reject Your teaching Because it is Corrupt, Accept it.

Glory to God,
Taken

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BOL has already admitted the only truth that matters. His claim, that Mary was naturally born SINNLESS... Does Not exist in Scripture. And I agree.

Glory to God,
Taken
Let's see . . . HOW many lies is that for you today?
I never admitted to any such thing - but your desperation IS cute.

I said that there is no EXPLICIT teaching in Scripture about Mary's Immaculate Conception - just like there ios no EXPLICIT teaching on the Trinity, either.
However - it IS IMPLICITLY taught - just like the Trinity is IMPLICITLY taught.

LEARN
the difference . . .

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No – implicit teaching from Scripture is not a “Catholic” thing – but a discipline that is used in ALL denominations of Protestantism as well.

There is not ONE Protestant denomination that believes everything we believe as Christians is explicitly taught on the pages of Scripture. The BIGGEST one is the Trinity – as I have already explained to you.

As for your rejection of the Immaculate conception above – again – it’s just YOUR rejection. You haven’t presented a SINGLE valid argument against it other than “I refuse to believe it!”
Good job . . .

Finally – Jesus didn’t simply “deliver” a promise. He's NOT an errand boy.
He IS the promise because He IS salvation.

LOL

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have to REFUTE your supposed Title for Mary....Titles do not mean naturally born sinnless....as I already said!

I don't have to REFUTE your claim Mary was...Kecharitimene ... and your claim Kecharitimene means, perfectly endowed grace....Your Kecharitimene does not mean naturally born sinnless....as I already said!

Mary was a Human person with Human parents.
Humans are NOT SINLESS.
A Sinless person would have NO NEED for a Savior.
Jesus was Mary's Savior, that she herself acknowledged.

I Reject Your teaching Because it is Corrupt, Accept it.

Glory to God,
Taken
Yup - Mary DID have a Savior - and He saved her BEFORE she was born.

Oh, and just because YOU "already said" it - doesn't means a thing.
You have YET to address her title of "Kecharitomene" . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHY are all of you anti-Catholics so afraid to address Mary's God-Given title of "Kecaritomene"??

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Her Immaculate Conception is in the Holy Seed -THE WORD!

Gods Holy Seed, does not birth Humans!
Gods Holy Seed Births (some) Humans a NEW Spirit.

Jesus is Called SINLESS and the Son of God...

Oops Mary was Never Called SINLESS or the Daughter of God...

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHY are all of you anti-Catholics so afraid to address Mary's God-Given title of "Kecaritomene"??

LOL...why are you anti-Protestants all in need of Q-Tips? YOUR Kecharitimene has been addressed to ad nausem...Nothing about your claim has one iota with Mary being naturally born Sinless.

Why don't you address WHY Mary had a Saviour?

Glory to God,
Taken