The Duty Of A Christian...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tada, you have been born again and had an intimate encounter with the Holy Spirit and the Lord God has come alive for you now. Now what?

Well you start seeking God through His word and also talking to the Lord. Ok that's good. But what else? What is the duties of a Christian? I can think of a few off the top of my head. Spread the message of the gospel! To Believe in Him and trust Him. To help the poor, the widows.

What other duties are christian soldiers supposed to do?

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a great idea, let's take a look at what Jesus told them to do when He sent out His 12 disciples, and then the 70 (which were not disciples!).

Matthew 10:7-8
7 And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.../KJV

Luke 10:1, 17-20
1 After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come...

17 And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.

18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.../KJV

Mark 16:15-18
15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;

18 They shall take up serpents;
and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.../KJV

Thats a fair account from 3 of the gospel books. Notice any similarities between them?

Every time as Jesus was sending them out He comissioned them what to do. (which was exactly what Jesus Himself had been doing!) He never sent them out without telling them to cast out devils I notice. Jesus did a Lot of casting evil spirits out of people! It's probably what He did the most!

Are you catching on yet? There seems to be a lot more people who are either possessed by evil spirits or at least are demoinized (Harrassed by evil spirits, enticed), so why do so few people cast out spirits nowadays? Or even talk about it?

Jesus taught them how to handle evil spirits. He gave us the authority over them in His name. He told us to do it. It wasnt just the Apostles, it was the 70 also which were normal people, Followers/Believers like you and I so we cant say it is not the duty of a Christian to do what the Lord said to do.

He made them learn about evil spirits before He sent them out to Evangelize.

What do you think? Is it our duty as good Christian Brothers & Sisters to cast out evil spirits? I believe it clearly is...

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Defend the Christian Bible and the lives of babies who are in GREAT danger of Liberals.

Reactions: MA2444

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We have a standard to live up to. People will see if we are serious or not about our beliefs by seeing them in action.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have a standard to live up to. People will see if we are serious or not about our beliefs by seeing them in action.

Exactly. That's what he means by let your light so shine before men. Just do what your supposed to be doing focused upon the Lord, and people will see and be touched by it. You might not even see them paying attention, yet it was your actions that greatly helped the Lord in His work to reach those people.

Isaiah 60:1-3
1 Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the Lord is risen upon thee.

2 For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the Lord shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.

3 And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.

The entire earth is in a storm right now. Darkness covers the people. and as the earth grows darker it will be easier for proplr to see the lights. What's that Jesus said? All these things will be added unto you. So we have to concentrate on our christian duties and to do as much good as possible, sometimes more. But dont look at the wind and the waves of the storm like Peter did. When he looked at the storm instead of Jesus, he began sinking!

Reactions: Pearl

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tada, you have been born again and had an intimate encounter with the Holy Spirit and the Lord God has come alive for you now. Now what?

Well you start seeking God through His word and also talking to the Lord. Ok that's good. But what else? What is the duties of a Christian? I can think of a few off the top of my head. Spread the message of the gospel! To Believe in Him and trust Him. To help the poor, the widows.

What other duties are christian soldiers supposed to do?
Study, pray, love, care, share, exalt god glorify God. Do these and you shall prosper.

Reactions: marks and MA2444

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are to take on the image of Christ. To emulate Him in every way. So that when He looks at us, it is as if He is looking in a mirror. So...Do what Jesus did!

Did you know that Jesus did more casting out of evil spirits than He did Healings? And I know He did a lot of healings!

You know what else I noticed? Of every single Brother or Sister who has replied to this thread, not one has mentioned casting out evil spirits!

When Jesus sent His people out he told them (us) to cast out spirits, heal the sick, raise the dead, preach the good news...right? Those are not promises. They sound more like, commands.

I know why no one says, casting out evil spirits is our duty. Because no one has ever taught us anything about it. I've never heard a sermon about how to cast out evil spirits in any walk in church in my life. I think it is a neglected subject.

so I brought it up. I know as much as anyone else does which aint much but there are considerations to casting out evil spirits in Jesus Name. One kind of evil spirit the disciples could not cast out, another time a spirit came up against a babe in Christ and said who are you? I know Paul but I'm going to kick your butt. And the guy got beat and away naked and fearing for his life. So some spirits are stronger than others..

When Jesus said this kind only comes out by prayer and fasting, I think he was talking about those who have a higher anointing in Christ because of their closer relationship. So if you are a babe in Christ, dont get in over your head!

I have never cast any evil spirits out. I have tried! But I could see no results. I barely know what to look for, lol.

Have any of you Brothers & Sisters ever cast out a spirit? Or seen one in person cast out?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are to take on the image of Christ. To emulate Him in every way. So that when He looks at us, it is as if He is looking in a mirror. So...Do what Jesus did!
We don't do this ourselves, we are being transformed by God.

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t know if you know or not but wherever our King Charles goes the royal standard is flown. Whichever of his palaces he is at the royal standard is flown to show that he is in residence. It is even flown on his car as he travels about on royal duties. None of the other royals have that honour.

Now in Christ we are part of a Royal Priesthood and wherever we go we should be flying the Royal Standard to let people know that the Holy Spirit is in residence in our lives. It should be obvious but sadly it so often isn’t. People who are still in and part of this world need to see Jesus in action through His Church. We all have a part to play a gift to offer and we need to be seeking a fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit each morning.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually He told this to them, and not us. Not everything is directed to us.

Much love!

I've heard that before. I think Jesus wrote that in such a way that He can speak to all of His people with it. Not to mention he told the same thing to the 70 in the scriptures I posted. God is not a respecter of men where He would tell 82 people that they could do something in Christ that no one else can. That does not compute for me,

We don't do this ourselves, we are being transformed by God.

Much love!

You are essentially correct here. God does do it. But we cooperatively walk it out and go through the motions here on earth. In tis way He is able to bless people through us and do His work to us and through us. IOW, we have to do our part too. Then out of our bellys shall flow rivers of living water (something living, pure, and life-giving).

To God is the glory.
To us is the duty to walk it out.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When Jesus sent His people out he told them (us) to cast out spirits, heal the sick, raise the dead, preach the good news...right? Those are not promises. They sound more like, commands.
And there have been and still are people who are equipped by the Holy Spirit to do those things. To attempt to do this work without the power of the Spirit is to try to do it in our own strength. I personally know people who have seen eyes grow in empty sockets, limbs grow back and babies brought back from being dead. I have never been called to do such things but as I said have known people in my own church fellowship witness these miracles as God worked powerfully through them.

Last edited:

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know if you know or not but wherever our King Charles goes the royal standard is flown. Whichever of his palaces he is at the royal standard is flown to show that he is in residence. It is even flown on his car as he travels about on royal duties. None of the other royals have that honour.

Now in Christ we are part of a Royal Priesthood and wherever we go we should be flying the Royal Standard to let people know that the Holy Spirit is in residence in our lives. It should be obvious but sadly it so often isn’t. People who are still in and part of this world need to see Jesus in action through His Church. We all have a part to play a gift to offer and we need to be seeking a fresh infilling of the Holy Spirit each morning.

Well said. That's how it's supposed to work.

SOunds sorta like, a spiritual Barn Raising! I'll help! Everybody has a talent or more. Let us all strive to be profitable servants to the Lord.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Have any of you Brothers & Sisters ever cast out a spirit? Or seen one in person cast out?
I saw that happen at the Dales Bible Week in 1984. Somebody was shouting out and was very disturbed and the speaker on the platform stopped the meeting and addressed the heckler. He told the evil spirits to be quiet and that he would not allow them to speak to him and then told it to be gone in the name of Jesus. The man immediately calmed down and the worship began again.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard that before. I think Jesus wrote that in such a way that He can speak to all of His people with it. Not to mention he told the same thing to the 70 in the scriptures I posted. God is not a respecter of men where He would tell 82 people that they could do something in Christ that no one else can. That does not compute for me,
It was a different time, and not everything was meant for us.

Consider the Sermon on the Mount, if you don't forgive others, God won't forgive you. This is part of God's material contract with Israel. Paul wrote in a couple of places that we are to forgive others, because God has forgiven us. Completely different. What Jesus spoke to the Jews is different from what Paul wrote to us, as the Sinai covenant is different from our covenant with God. In the first covenant, God's accepted was predicated on performance, and if you failed to keep the covenant of law you were not accepted.

Now we are accepted in Christ, and rather than doing good works to be righteous under the law, we do good works because we've been made righteous in Christ.

1 Corinthians 12:4-11 KJV
4) Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.
5) And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6) And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7) But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8) For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9) To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10) To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11) But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

We have differing gifts according to what the Spirit determines. Not everyone has the same gifts.

Much love!

Reactions: GRACE ambassador

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And there have been and still are people who are equipped by the Holy Spirit to do those things. To attempt to do this work without the power of the Spirit is to try to do it in our own strength. I personally know people who have eyes grow in empty sockets, limbs grow and babies brought back from being dead. I have never been called to do such things but as I said have known people in my own church fellowship witness these miracles as God worked powerfully through them.

It kind of reads like, we all can do those things. We are in Christ and Christ in us, so all the things He said to go do, we can do...

How? By trying. I heard one healing pastor's testimony and he said he tried over 500 times to lay hands on people on the street and they never got healed! Then one day, boom boom boom, all of a sudden everyone was being healed that he laid hands on! Over 500 times! That would be discouraging, lol.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It kind of reads like, we all can do those things. We are in Christ and Christ in us, so all the things He said to go do, we can do...
I sort of think that if God wants us to do something he will equip us. Some people are fully equipped at all times; these are the ones who are called to be healers or called to be preachers or evangelists but not all of us have the same front of house type 'ministry'. It would be quite easy to overlook or miss what God wants for us simply by setting our hearts and minds on what we want to do. Mostly those desires are from our egos not the Spirit. I used to hope for a 'ministry'.

I used to pray for a ministry. And I couldn't understand why I was still wasn't given a 'ministry'. Then one day I realised that if God wasn't giving me anything different then I was to be the best I could be in the place he had put me. In the background. Serving in the capacity of wife and mother. Serving the church fellowship by making the tea washing curtains. And then I got my PC and dedicated it to God's work and then I got to publish the church newsletter, connecting members by the sharing of their testimonies, insights, poems and news. I never needed a lesson even though I had never before sat in front of a monitor. It all just came. And I learned such a lot and God gave me even more in the form of dreams or lessons from nature. God is good and he has been good to me for many years.

MA2444

Jan 9, 2024
Columbus Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw that happen at the Dales Bible Week in 1984. Somebody was shouting out and was very disturbed and the speaker on the platform stopped the meeting and addressed the heckler. He told the evil spirits to be quiet and that he would not allow them to speak to him and then told it to be gone in the name of Jesus. The man immediately calmed down and the worship began again.

That's awesome Sister! I heard one sorta similar about a troubled youth. He had wandered into the church, sat in the back and started telling God that if He didnt reveal Himself to him that He was going to go...I forget. Committ suicide, do something evil, I forget. And the kid hadnt talked to anybody in the church. The church was just doing what it does, and during the service the pastor said, does anybody need a word? And the kid said to himself under his breath. I do. Banana, if your real...

And he didnt even say this to the pastor or anyone. And the Pastor says, we do have a word for someone but I did not get it. Who has received the word from the Lord about it? (He didnt even know what he was talking about!) And when he said that, a little girl yelled out, I have it! But I dont know what it means...

So the Pastor said, Ok, what is it? And the little girl said, just one word, Banana! And everyone was left dumbfounded by her answer. The service ended and the boy came forward and told the Pastor, Banana is the word he asked God for or else he was going to go suicide (or whatever). And I didnt tell that little girl that I thought Banana! So that was God! God Is Real!! ...And a Christian soul was born again...

I thought that was pretty good.

I had the Lord heal me one time. I had a seizure at the top of a 10' ladder and fell 10 feet to the concrete floor and dislocated my hip. My son helped me home and lacking health insurance at the time, I layed in bed for 7 days with a dislocated hip. I could see the bone sticking out under my skin. It hurt horribly and all I could do was to lie in bed and hobble back and forth to the bathroom. And one night before I went to sleep, I prayed. Lord please heal me. Heal me while I sleep Lord. I dunno why I said that but I did. SO I went to sleep and in the middle of the night sometime, I wake up and feel heat in my hip. A burning sensation. It's getting hotter. Hotter! It got uncomfortably hot in my hip and hurt! And then suddenly all at once the heat went away. I went right back to sleep.

In the morning, I remembered it. I also remembered hearing healing testimonies where people said they felt heat while being healed. So I carefully stood up and dropped my jammies to have a look at my hip. No bone sticking out. It felt better though still sore. But any time a disllocated bone is put back into place, it will be sore, but immediately starte getting better. So 2 more days and I had my confirmation, the soreness went away too.

This is the testimony I praise the Lord a lot for! I was in a lot of pain for a week.

Reactions: marks