The Eternal Security Heresy: A Comprehensive Refutation of OSAS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christophany, Taken, Eternally Grateful, justbyfaith, and Enoch are all denizens of an uneducated Fundamentalist Ghetto that outlaws academic commentaries on specific NT books (e. g. on Revelation and Hebrews), all of which support my anti-OSAS stance. Notice carefully that they all duck my specific exegetic arguments and verses cited in support because they have nothing relevant to say. Here is my challenge to them: "Season your penchant for pontificating bluster with a modicum of intellectual rigor. Take a brief walk outside your myopic and sheltered Fundamentalist Ghetto, enter the big bad world of modern biblical scholarship, and, at last, breathe the fresh air of honest and open inquiry!

Taken: "How CAN a Christian "Conquer"?
Problem....WHAT is a Christian?"

Revelation's answer: A Christian is a believer whose name has not been blotted out of the Book of Life. The perseverance in faithfulness required by Jesus in Revelation establishes the possibility of erasure of one's name from the Book of Life and therefore the possibility of losing one's salvation. OSAS junkies have no answer for this!

Eternally Grateful: "So God need you to help him save you?"

Yes, God needs our free choice to be faithful to Him. The Greek word for "faith" also means "faithfulness," so that we are saved by our way of being, not by getting our ticket punched to Heaven, regardless of how we live. OSAS advocates cheapen and debase God's grace.

Eternally Grateful: "I love when people slam eternal security, they basically make eternal life conditional and remove God out of the picture."

Of course salvation is conditional. God removes Himself from the picture, when we misuse our free will to choose or reject Him!

Eternally Grateful: "Listen to what you said you have eternal life as long as you abide and you obey
your trying to earn a reward not receive a gift"

You don't understand God's grace. Faithful living is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for salvation but in no way merits salvation.

Enoch: "Any teaching opposing the eternal security of believers is heresy and also TOTAL NONSENSE. Salvation without eternal security means no salvation."

Duh, learn to think! Those who "work out their own salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12)" are ultimately saved!

Christophany: "it makes all Gods promises on eternal life out to be a lie."
No it makes your false understanding of all God's promises of eternal life a lie.

If one takes a gnostic view, we are perfect spirit with a fallen flesh, they have a vessel where they can have salvation locked in without boundaries or responsibilities which can be failed.

What I do not understand is how they can cope with all the parables of believers who fail to stay faithful or loyal to God and get cast out and put with the sinners. They create an addition not in the story that these were only false believers. Some go as far as to say one is saved by faith without fruit, or no external sign and this is a valid experience except Paul emphasis exactly the opposite. My conclusion was a different faith has arisen within christianity which redefines all the words and meaning to meet their own theology without reference to its obvious meaning.

That was fine for me, until any believer who did not agree with them was an anti Christ, worse than a murderer etc. Some suggested faithful believers should be expelled from churches etc. It is ironic these sentiments are heretical and traditionally rejected, yet they will use any technique and approach to assert only their view and if you have another you are deluded, evil and to be resisted. There theology and view works well in a wealthy middle class society where the difference between believers and sinners is difficult to see. But in a poor society or ridiculously rich society the differences become obvious because sinners have no reason to hide their true nature or show any restraint.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take your OSAS glasses off when you read scripture.
Take your nosas glasses of when you read scripture

I believe I have eternal life like God promised. I am sealed by the spirit until the day of redemption. And as Jesus promised, I will never die

now if you want conditional life, to think you can overpower god and break his seal before the day of redemption, and can still die (spiritually) after you were made alive, well I will just say good luck

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Take your nosas glasses of when you read scripture

I believe I have eternal life like God promised. I am sealed by the spirit until the day of redemption. And as Jesus promised, I will never die

now if you want conditional life, to think you can overpower god and break his seal before the day of redemption, and can still die (spiritually) after you were made alive

well I will just ask where your faith in God is, because to me, your faith is in yourself
Lol, don't you understand what you just did? If faith is something I'm given, I have no part of it, so you are arguing with God. It's like you are saying: " God didn't make you believe in him."

It's not about what I want. Who would not want to be given eternal life and not be able to lose it? But then all warnings about losing faith are meaningless.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol, don't you understand what you just did? If faith is something I'm given, I have no part of it, so you are arguing with God. It's like you are saying: " God didn't make you believe in him."

It's not about what I want. Who would not want to be given eternal life and not be able to lose it? But then all warnings about losing faith are meaningless.
1. You would never have faith if not drawn by god and shown his truth

2. if you can lose eternal life, its not eternal! God would call it conditional life

The word eternal life is not a religious term, it literally means will live forever, It saddens me how people take biblical truths and make them something they are not

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I utterly disagree.
No idea who taught you, but Scripture says nothing:
about Salvation being a process, Sanctification being a process,
Salvation is only from sin,
Saved is selfishness,
Salvation is not Important,
That after being born again you can Reject God...

Sorry but this is some the looniest stuff I have ever heard.
What denomination teaches this?

Glory to God,
Taken
Oh, well, if you utterly disagree then perhaps I should re-evaluate my position. Give me a break.
Exaggerate; twist; repeat.
I get it.
And now you need a denominational target. Doesn't it bother you to be so predictable?

The OT Sanctuary service was an illustration of the atonement process. Any seminary student knows that. As long as you believe sanctification is totally separate from justification you'll believe anything.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this is true we would be glorified we would be perfect

no man alive is perfect so I can not agree with you

What is your basis for saying that no man alive is perfect? Hebrews 10:14 would tell us otherwise.

If anyone is perfect, they do not walk around saying, "I am perfect".....their perfection would not be advertised.

So, it may be that there are those who are perfect, but that we do not know that they are perfect; because normally what is visible are imperfections in a man...usually these are the things that stand out. But if anyone is perfect, their perfection will not stand out...because perfection is boring to so many and does not grab the attention of most.

So, it may be that there are those who are perfected but we do not know about it because their perfection doesn't stand out to us.

We are sealed. Who is sealed. Those who believe. Not those who once upon a Time believed in fifth grade.

If someone was sealed in fifth grade, is it possible that they would not be sealed also today?

For their being sealed is "unto the day of redemption" (Ephesians 4:30).

They are not meaningless; because they produce in us the fear of the LORD; and it is through the fear of the LORD that we are eternally secure.

Consider that no one is able to pluck us out of God's hand (John 10:27-30).

So, one might say, we can walk away ourselves.

Jer 32:38, And they shall be my people, and I will be their God:
Jer 32:39, And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them:
Jer 32:40, And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.

Psa 19:9, The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Among all the things related to God and salvation, love is at the centre.
Love is the thing that flows from our hearts out to others, the transformation from being defended selfish people, to giving caring lovers of God and man.

So many claim all the surrounding of faith, yet selfishness and self interest is at their heart. So sin is not a problem because the spirit is saved and whatever one does nothing can touch this, even if everything is selfish and lost in its nature.

What indicates a spiritual disconnect is this lack of knowing what love is. Love is so central John says simply if we do not love we do not know God. You literally cannot hate a brother and claim you know Jesus.

I had interaction with a very fiery church elder who was proud of their history of leading church and spiritual teaching, yet they neither knew a cleansed heart or love flowing from within. They did know a dark heart, without worth or lack of sin. It had never struck them that maybe they had never truly met Christ and been cleansed and made new.

And another trait of such folk who do not understand love tend to talk about OSAS and miss security in Christ love and the cross.
It is almost as if the lack of love and depth is made up for by resting on the promises. But the promises are about Gods love and how love changes everything. Now I speak of promise, because until one has experienced it it is alien, a desire one might have of something better but something that as yet has not truly arisen within.

Now I do not know anyones position on the path, I just share my observation and the reactions others provide. Some who I share with come alive because of the love and praise that dwells within and just flows in all that they do. God bless you

What do you think Love means?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OP ^

Eternal security of Salvation is Heresy?

Is there really a Christian Church that teaches such nonsense?

Wow! Pretty Sad!

2 John 1:
[
2] For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in (obviously only applies to certain of) us, and shall be with us for ever.

Glory to God,
Taken

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What do you think Love means?
There's a song called "I want to know what love is" which summarises the problem.

This may sound crass but by asking the question you answer it also. Jesus is love, eternal, infinite, beyond words or definition. The cross speaks of its depth and perspective, complicated between justice and mercy.

When people ask how does it affect people, what's it's fruit, the Bible begins this journey. So the answer to this question has no end, but I suggest you maybe not aware of this, which is my point.

As a young man I asked God what mattered. The answer was the stones David took to kill Goliath. The answer is all around, devalued discarded ignored trampled on told as a poor man's words old fashioned twee, yet this is God. God bless you

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
OP ^

Eternal security of Salvation is Heresy?

Is there really a Christian Church that teaches such nonsense?

Wow! Pretty Sad!

2 John 1:
[
2] For the truth's sake, which dwelleth in (obviously only applies to certain of) us, and shall be with us for ever.

Glory to God,
Taken
One perspective. Another in Christ's love we have all the security we need.

What believers notice is sinners claim faith but have no reality but also expect eternal significance, which is absurd.

Jesus knows we need reassurance but with life not empty phrases and hope.
A heart with hate is a heart without Jesus. Faith without cleansing and love giving life is just darkness.....

When Jesus calls us to follow His example it is to die for others because we love them this much, a vast ambition......but also the reality of a purified heart. God bless you

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There's a song called "I want to know what love is" which summarises the problem.

This may sound crass but by asking the question you answer it also. Jesus is love, eternal, infinite, beyond words or definition. The cross speaks of its depth and perspective, complicated between justice and mercy.

When people ask how does it affect people, what's it's fruit, the Bible begins this journey. So the answer to this question has no end, but I suggest you maybe not aware of this, which is my point.

As a young man I asked God what mattered. The answer was the stones David took to kill Goliath. The answer is all around, devalued discarded ignored trampled on told as a poor man's words old fashioned twee, yet this is God. God bless you

I asked you a question, what you think love means. I guess your answer is Jesus.
No, I did not answer the question of "what you think".

I will tell you what I think Love means, rather than WHO Love is.

"Love means Doing what is Right, Regardless of the Consequences."

Many people DO NOT DO, what is Right for FEAR of the Consequences.

Can you imagine the Dynamic Change...
In a courtroom, if the WHOLE Truth was Told?
In Politics, if the WHOLE Truth was Told?
In marriages, if the WHOLE Truth was Told?
In Religion, if the WHOLE Truth was Told?
In Schools, if the WHOLE Truth was Told?
In Families, if the WHOLE Truth was Told?
In Marketing/sales, if the WHOLE Truth was Told?

The WHOLE Truth is routinely WITHHELD, people Choosing TO DO what they KNOW is NOT Right... for FEAR of the Consequences.
"Love" is a word People utter to Other People, Yet...
they are too "Fearful of the Consequences to" be wholly Truthful and "Do what is Right."

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christophany, Taken, Eternally Grateful, justbyfaith, and Enoch are all denizens of an uneducated Fundamentalist Ghetto that outlaws academic commentaries on specific NT books (e. g. on Revelation and Hebrews), all of which support my anti-OSAS stance. Notice carefully that they all duck...

LOL- noticed your ducking, instead of addressing the person's post you disagree with, you hide and AND name call.

Taken: "How CAN a Christian "Conquer"?
Problem....WHAT is a Christian?"

Revelation's answer: A Christian is a believer whose name has not been blotted out of the Book of Life.

LOL-
The Book of Revelations DOES NOT mention Christians!
Seems you that didn't Learn, Gods People, ISRAEL are not called "Christians"!

Maybe you should Try on the Truth, find the KEY WORD is CONVERTED... not Christian.
(Seems you were never taught common knowledge; not all calling themselves Christians are Converted...and Not all Converted call themselves Christians !)

Matt 18:
[1] At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
[2] And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
[3] And said,
Verily <--- hint, pay attention, its Important!)
I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
[4] Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
[5] And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
[6] But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
[7] Woe unto the world because of offences! for it must needs be that offences come; but woe to that man by whom the offence cometh!

Jesus in Revelation establishes the possibility of erasure of one's name from the Book of Life

No kidding! LOL
You should have Learned...MANY HAVE and MANY will Choose to Reject God and the Lord.

Sheesh...is the OT missing from your Bible version?
You suppose all Names of those drowned in the Flood are still in The Book of Life?

and therefore the possibility of losing one's salvation.

No kidding! LOL
* Any Bible scholar KNOWS, The Lord Jesus Himself PAID for "The Gift of Salvation", FOR Every person...
* Any Prudent person KNOWS, if you do NOT Claim "YOUR" Gift...before the TIME of your Natural Bodily Death...DUH...you LOSE "YOUR" Gift!
* Any Bible scholar KNOWS, a Dead Body knows nothing.
* Any Prudent person KNOWS, Dead Body's DO NOT Talk!

OSAS junkies have no answer for this!

Now that's funny!

Seems your dependency is having a need to receive Salvation again and again and again and again and again...
Cuz ONCE, just doesn't work for you.

BTW-
how many times have you been saved?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One perspective. Another in Christ's love we have all the security we need.

What believers notice is sinners claim faith but have no reality but also expect eternal significance, which is absurd.

Jesus knows we need reassurance but with life not empty phrases and hope.
A heart with hate is a heart without Jesus. Faith without cleansing and love giving life is just darkness.....

When Jesus calls us to follow His example it is to die for others because we love them this much, a vast ambition......but also the reality of a purified heart. God bless you

Love OF God is not In Question.

Glory to God,
Taken

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is so edifying. Thank you. Wishing another believer good luck--how charitable.
Telling another person they better live up to some standard or they will lose the gift of eternal life is so edifying itself,

Telling a person to remove their osas glasses is a perfect example of edifying discussion.

smh

I do wish him luck and will pray for him

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is your basis for saying that no man alive is perfect? Hebrews 10:14 would tell us otherwise.

If anyone is perfect, they do not walk around saying, "I am perfect".....their perfection would not be advertised.

to be perfect you would be totally without sin.

no one,NT even paul achieved that status.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I asked you a question, what you think love means. I guess your answer is Jesus.

The WHOLE Truth is routinely WITHHELD, people Choosing TO DO what they KNOW is NOT Right... for FEAR of the Consequences.
they are too "Fearful of the Consequences to" be wholly Truthful and "Do what is Right."

Glory to God,
Taken
Amen, but can it be more than that

if we loved others as God loved us, the true defenition of love

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Glory to God,
Taken

I would like to agree with you, but unfortunately I cannot.
Consequences restrict what is right to do, because some consequences are damaging more than the benefits.
Truth also is relative to its impact. What is going to happen in some cases is the reality, but it maybe irrelevant to know about it if one can do nothing about it. A typical example of this is a degenerative disease with no cure. There is no point knowing if in knowing it destroys the life you now live, before the disease takes its hold.

Paul talked about peoples weak consciences and not pushing them to the point of sin, doing something they regard is sinful even though for oneself there are no problems. Equally there are boundaries as to what is ok behaviour for myself and its limits and what is ok for others. A classic example is divorce and sexual immorality. I may believe on certain moral foundations, but I am not insistent of laws that restrict others behaviour unless they are truly harmful.

So I do not accept love is doing something without regard to consequences, but rather love looks at the consequences and sometimes keeps silent. As Jesus said, do not throw jewels in front of pigs, because they will just attack and destroy you. Jesus also emphasised turning the other cheek, going the extra mile, all of which are responses to injustice and being forced to do something. It is the consequences of a strong reaction and its implied meaning which Jesus is addressing. We are not here to fight but to share love and the Kingdom, in the power of the Holy Spirit. For some this comes with a gun and the ability to shoot another dead if they pose a threat, which is 100% not what Jesus is suggesting or preaching.

It is also ironic those who claim we accept the gospel and Gods love to us, but boy we are happy to dole out justice to those who have it coming..... not realising it is us who are bring unjust and unloving. And often it comes down to not seeing people or the consequences.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to agree with you, but unfortunately I cannot.

So I do not accept love is doing something without regard to consequences

You Left out the most important word in what I said.

Love is doing what is RIGHT regardless of the Consequences.

If you are going to disagree with what I said, disagree with what I actually said.

Glory to God,
Taken