The Eternal Security Heresy: A Comprehensive Refutation of OSAS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Go Ahead and try To earn your salvation Petey

the verses were
Posted which prove it is those who are in Christ by faith who overcome

This summarises the perspective you are presenting.
It is always possible to overlay any belief on to a statement not mentioned in the statement, but if it changes or detracts from the meaning it has no authority or sense. There must be an odd compulsion to go through scripture and add concepts not in the passages so that the correct theology comes about.

But just as you overlay something not in the text I will ask looking at the text and focusing on its points, how does the overlay match the words. If there is no match and just a contradiction the overlay must be wrong. With all these steps, it is always possible to construct ones own compromise, but surely the only thing that matters is to find Gods meaning and intent.

Some talk of crowns being a reward and not salvation, except for these verses

4 For the LORD takes delight in his people; he crowns the humble with salvation.
Psalm 149:4

11 The ransomed of the LORD will return. They will enter Zion with singing; everlasting joy will crown their heads. Gladness and joy will overtake them, and sorrow and sighing will flee away.
Isaiah 51:11

3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion- to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the LORD for the display of his splendor.
Isaiah 61:3

25 They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.
1 Cor 9:25

8 Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day--and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing
2 Tim 4:8

10 I will give you the crown of life.
Rev 2:10

Crowns are mentioned, a crown of eternal joy, a crown of beauty, an eternal crown, crown of righteousness, crown of life.

Some say the crowns are just rewards like getting a house or a car, or some other prize not eternal life or eternal death.
But the crowns mentioned are all linked to salvation and being with Christ, so not getting the crown means not being with Christ and not getting the prize but rather failing and being put with the lost, which Jesus repeats continually as a risk.

But if the fear of being lost makes life impossible or Jesus a liar, then unfortunately insecurity and fear rules ones heart and not love.
The point of love is it embeds in us knowledge of Gods nature, and that the door is always open and we can repent and get right with Him and walk on when ever and where ever we fail. It is this reality, not that we are perfect and resolved, but a project in progress and we still need to learn the next step is in His will and by His hand if we reach out and let Him lead the way. God bless you

Last edited:

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is redundant to an individual WHO HAS ALREADY "OVERCOME".

An individual Who Has OVERCOME, BY and through Christ Jesus...Has Already Obeyed, Already Repented, Already Been Forgiven, Already Received The Lord Gods Gift of Salvation and Quickening, Already Received Gods Internal Spirit (Power), That SEALS and Keeps what IS His, unto Himself...

What Warning, does such a person Require to DO, what is Already Accomplished?

Hold on to What I HAVE until He Comes?
Of Course.

* What I Have is His Assurance.
* What is Fact...IS the World is Full of People, preaching, advocating, promoting,
MY ASSURANCE, IS Faulty, IS untrustworthy.

You betcha, I hold on to what I have, (His Assurance), and AM NOT persuaded by men, to accept what THEY promote.

Glory to God,
Taken

This is the point. We are secure in Christ yet there is no arriving always walking on in His love.
You may not be aware but there are many voices, some who speak in the Lords name but are not from Him.
They will sincerely tell everyone nothing matters you are safe in Christ, taking away the power of the cross and its purpose, saying sin cannot be overcome or worked through, we are doomed to our fate because of our flesh.
So a slave trader can stay a slave trader, a brothel keeper their brothel, the thief their stolen goods, a murderer continuing extorting and oppressing people, because they have faith Jesus has saved them so they are saved and nothing else can touch them.

But this very approach denies the reality of God in someones life, they are dead to love and the truth, and just know they need a way out without any cost, and this fits them just right. And this is not the Kingdom of God come to earth, rather it is the world breaking into heaven.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a long way from just coming to faith and being born again. If this was the actual message, you guys have nothing to worry about, you are all ok, because you are saved, the letters would not exist. Each letter to each church has a warning and an encouragement to achieve something. I therefore cannot connect what you are saying at all.

You have a valid point- I will address.
Faith-

Rom 10:17
[17] So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith is a Gift From God, TO Every man, WHO is HEARING the Word of God.

Pretty Powerful, eh?

It is called ENLIGHTMENT.
It is a Gift from God...
Simply for men, choosing to Hear (and in this day Read, as we have the advantage of the readily avaible written Word.)

The "Gift of Faith" is Directly proportional, to the Amount the individual IS Hearing.

It reveals...(as does the mustard seed), God Gift of Faith (IS Measures of Faith), according to How MUCH or How LITTLE an individual HEARS the Word of God.

IOW-
Hear Little...Receive Little Faith.
Hear Much...Receive Much Faith.

* The HIGHLIGHT...is WHAT one Does With the Gift (regardless of How Much or How Little), of Faith the HAVE received.

Similarity, you can Receive gifts from friends...you have it, it's yours. You can keep it, use it, stick it in box in the attic, give it away, throw it in the trash and burn it...it's Yours to DO with as You please.

Gods Gift of Faith, (For Simply Hearing His Word), is no Different.
One can KEEP His Gift of Faith, continue Hearing and Increasing His Gift of Faith, put it out, Stop Receiving, Stop thinking of it, even promote Being Against what they Received, and desire to Receive NO more.

The Point IS:
Receiving Gods Gift of Faith...
IS what it IS.
IT IS NOT, Receiving:
* Forgiveness
* Salvation
* Quickening
* The Lord Gods Indwelling Spirit
* Gods Seed.

An individual man...Having Heard, HAS Received A Measure of Gods Gift of Faith.

Is is Presisely What a man Does with THAT GIFT of FAITH, that was given him, that is his...IS that which IS Paramount.

A man who Sets Aside, walks Away, ignores His Gift....
IS a MAN WHO "HAS FALLEN AWAY FROM FAITH"
The GIFTS Already Prepared for A man, "IN FAITH", Become "LOST", TO A Man Who has Fallen From Faith".

Forgiveness,
Salvation,
Quickening,
The Lord Gods Indwelling Spirit,
Gods Seed,
Are All Gifts FOR A Man IN Faith...that Become Lost, to a man who has Fallen in Faith.

Scripture Teaches and Warns... To Keep Your Gift of Faith...and How to Keep your Gift of Faith....BY Continuing TO Hear, and Receiving INCREASE of Faith

And WARNINGS, IF you Lose Your Gift of Faith, YOU HAVE ALSO "LOST YOUR Gift of Salvation".

Men Teach...
* You "cannot" Lose your "Gift of Salvation"..IF you have NOT Yet Receive it.
* You "can" Lose your "Gift of Salvation" After you have "Received" it.

Scripture Teaches the Gift of Salvation, IS an Already Prepared Gift for the Whole World...it IS Already The Whole Worlds Gift, To Take And Have, Once and Forever.

John 6:
[51] I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

John 6:
[58] This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

John 14:
[16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

Heb 6:
[4] For it is impossible for those who were onceenlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,

Hearin, Tasting, receiving The Heavenly Gift of Faith....and Disgarding That Gift...
ALSO Disgards their Prepared Gift of Forgiveness, Salvation, Quickening, The Indwelling Spirit of God, God Seed...and a Forever Life With God.

The Warning is To KEEP your Gift of Faith...that it Increase and You Receive Once and Forever Gifts He Has Already Prepared FOR You.

Jesus already Bought and Paid for your Gifts.
It's a done deal.
If a man DOES NOT Reach Out and TAKE the Gifts The Lord Has Already Bought and Paid For...they Lose it.

The Lord is NOT IGNORANT of Any man's WHOLE Life, from what His Mouth Jabbers TODAY, what the man does, until his Death bed...

IOW- Gods Gifts are Holy and Spiritual Gifts...that He does not Hand Out...on "Hoping" a man (really means in his confessions)...God KNOWS a man's Truth, from beginning to End, and IS NOT Fooled to Give His Holy Gifts to a man, who will Later confess...oops ya, well "I never really believed anyway".
(and men Teaching...such a man "Received" Salvation...- fooled God- and oops, has now Lost HIS Salvation, because God Took back His Gift)...<--- utterly has no basis in Scripture.

Faith is given in measures-and Can Be Lost,
UNTIL...
Faith-FULLNESS is achieved and Kept by the Indwelling Power/Spirit of God....Once and Forever.

Glory to God,
Taken

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
it makes all Gods promises on eternal life out to be a lie.
Is a promise the same as a guarantee? Say I promise my children ice cream if they do their homework. That's a legitimate promise, but it comes with a condition. The same is true of God's promises about eternal salvation. These are promises for believers, not former believers. If you stay in the faith you are promised eternal life... I don't know why people complicate it.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is the point. We are secure in Christ yet there is no arriving always walking on in His love.

Secure "IN Christ...agree.
A stand alone Point, that can never change.

Walking in His Love...Does NOT compute.
Walking in The Spirit...I can address that.

You may not be aware but there are many voices, some who speak in the Lords name but are not from Him.

Fully aware.

They will sincerely tell everyone nothing matters you are safe in Christ,

I agree with that Point...
It is IMO All about (meaning nothing else matters), Christ,an individual Being IN Christ.

taking away the power of the cross and its purpose, saying sin cannot be overcome or worked through, we are doomed to our fate because of our flesh.
So a slave trader can stay a slave trader, a brothel keeper their brothel, the thief their stolen goods, a murderer continuing extorting and oppressing people, because they have faith Jesus has saved them so they are saved and nothing else can touch them.

Wait, Wait, Wait...
I absolutely...Distinguish...an Individual IN Christ, A DONE Deal...an Established and Everlasting Relationship between One Individual and Christ Jesus.

You are talking about something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
You are talking About "Relationships BETWEEN MEN".

You have Named the most egregious ACTS, men commit and then wonder How can Such men, BE In a Relationship IN Christ.

The Answer is ... the Same Way, ANY man IN Christ...can commit lesser Acts...YET Still have a Personal Relationship IN Christ.
Such As:
* Keeping an overpayment of Change from a store clerk.
* Saying to a kid they will take them for ice cream, then don't.
* Lying to a spouse where they have been, for wanting to surprise them with a Gift.
* Taking work office supplies home without permission.
* Promining to pay for loans and credit spendatures, and then don't.

But this very approach denies the reality of God in someones life, they are dead to love and the truth, and just know they need a way out without any cost, and this fits them just right. And this is not the Kingdom of God come to earth, rather it is the world breaking into heaven.

Disagree.
I know no one personally or have even heard of someone Claiming to be IN Christ, and Involved in human slave trade.

I do know lots of people, who are IN Christ, (Have a Personal Relationship With Christ), attend Church regularly, can have a Great conversation regarding Scripture...
And Lie regularly...do dishonest deeds...etc.

Do I Believe their Relationship with Christ is IN Jeopardy? NO, I do not.

I believe they will LOSE some "rewards", they could have had.

I believe A Man IN Christ, IS PERFECTED IN Christ...the man "Perfect"? NO.
But IS justified BY the Lords Standards.

SEE men stand on the side-lines, making Standards FOR Others... Pointing to others....You this, They that...then excuse their own...short changing, lies, sneaking, thefts...as petty.

A man's Reasonable SERVICE TO Recive Gods Gifts, IS:

Rom 12:
[1] I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Works Beyond, a man's reasonable Service, gains a man Rewards FROM GOD.

"Gifts" from God, are Personal between A man and God.

"Rewards" from God, are for Works between A man and other men.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is a promise the same as a guarantee? Say I promise my children ice cream if they do their homework. That's a legitimate promise, but it comes with a condition. The same is true of God's promises about eternal salvation. These are promises for believers, not former believers. If you stay in the faith you are promised eternal life... I don't know why people complicate it.

The POINT Being...
The Condition is Already met.

Faith is a Gift for simply Hearing the Word of God.
Here the Condition is ones willingness TO Hear.
At Any time, the one Hearing CAN Stop Hearing...

Faith-FULLNESS is achieved, through meeting the Condition OF Conversion...
It is A Vow of the man TO the Lord God...
This is Direct and Personal, between A man and the Lord God.
This carries a Totally Different Circumstance...
There IS no Walking Away!
There IS no trying really hard to stay in faith.
The Staying and Keeping, is Effected BY the Indwelling Power of God...

Do you not See...men are weak, easily swayed, fail by their own weaknesses?

The Great News is...God Himself has come to our Weak wishy washy Rescue...with a new Better Testament...

Heb 7:
[22] By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.

His Power Within us Supersedes, our weakness, and Keeps us Faith-FULL to Him.

1 John 4:
[4] Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.

It is Stressed...Hear, learn, be diligent...Here's An Offer, learn About Gods Offer...Be SURE you want to Accept His Offer...Because IT IS Permanent!
(just as Permanent as one who makes his election to Satan, or any other god)

2 Peter 1:
[10] Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:

Glory to God,
Taken

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith is a Gift for simply Hearing the Word of God.
Here the Condition is ones willingness TO Hear.
At Any time, the one Hearing CAN Stop Hearing...

Faith-FULLNESS is achieved, through meeting the Condition OF Conversion...
It is A Vow of the man TO the Lord God...
This is Direct and Personal, between A man and the Lord God.
This carries a Totally Different Circumstance...
There IS no Walking Away!
There IS no trying really hard to stay in faith.
The Staying and Keeping, is Effected BY the Indwelling Power of God..
Where does it say we can't reject God's power to indwell us? It doesn't.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have not Yet have one, (who is Against OSAS) Answer how many times "they" have been "Saved"....

or WHY being Saved ONCE, is insufficient.
I have been born again but being saved is a process, not a singular event. I'm still here. I've been justified, I am being sanctified, I have not yet been glorified. So the short answer is although I am a born-again Christian, I have only been "saved" from the helplessness of sin. I know from whence my help cometh, so I have hope. I have been promised authoring and finishing of my faith and therefore have an assurance of salvation. Anything short of this is unbelief; anything beyond is presumption. Obsession with being "saved" is selfishness and not a fruit of the Spirit, and is therefore undesirable to me. There are no shackles on my ankles to prevent me from rejecting God should I later choose to do so. I have seen consecrated believers do this. It happens all the time. Denying it by saying they were never "saved" to begin with is just a defense mechanism to prop up the obsession with being "saved." When I stand on the sea of glass I will be sealed in my decision. As long as there is temptation there will be opportunity to reject grace. My desire to be saved is not more important than religious liberty..

Reactions: FollowHim

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christophany, Taken, Eternally Grateful, justbyfaith, and Enoch are all denizens of an uneducated Fundamentalist Ghetto that outlaws academic commentaries on specific NT books (e. g. on Revelation and Hebrews), all of which support my anti-OSAS stance. Notice carefully that they all duck my specific exegetic arguments and verses cited in support because they have nothing relevant to say. Here is my challenge to them: "Season your penchant for pontificating bluster with a modicum of intellectual rigor. Take a brief walk outside your myopic and sheltered Fundamentalist Ghetto, enter the big bad world of modern biblical scholarship, and, at last, breathe the fresh air of honest and open inquiry!

Taken: "How CAN a Christian "Conquer"?
Problem....WHAT is a Christian?"

Revelation's answer: A Christian is a believer whose name has not been blotted out of the Book of Life. The perseverance in faithfulness required by Jesus in Revelation establishes the possibility of erasure of one's name from the Book of Life and therefore the possibility of losing one's salvation. OSAS junkies have no answer for this!

Eternally Grateful: "So God need you to help him save you?"

Yes, God needs our free choice to be faithful to Him. The Greek word for "faith" also means "faithfulness," so that we are saved by our way of being, not by getting our ticket punched to Heaven, regardless of how we live. OSAS advocates cheapen and debase God's grace.

Eternally Grateful: "I love when people slam eternal security, they basically make eternal life conditional and remove God out of the picture."

Of course salvation is conditional. God removes Himself from the picture, when we misuse our free will to choose or reject Him!

Eternally Grateful: "Listen to what you said you have eternal life as long as you abide and you obey
your trying to earn a reward not receive a gift"

You don't understand God's grace. Faithful living is a necessary, but not a sufficient condition for salvation but in no way merits salvation.

Enoch: "Any teaching opposing the eternal security of believers is heresy and also TOTAL NONSENSE. Salvation without eternal security means no salvation."

Duh, learn to think! Those who "work out their own salvation with fear and trembling (Phil. 2:12)" are ultimately saved!

Christophany: "it makes all Gods promises on eternal life out to be a lie."
No it makes your false understanding of all God's promises of eternal life a lie.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We are sealed by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13-14, 2 Corinthians 1:22, 2 Corinthians 5:5) and this means that we are also sealed in faith; for faith is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and a gift of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:9). So, as long as I have the Holy Spirit, I will have faith. And I am sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30).

So then, everlasting life means everlasting faith is given.

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

you promised a reward (ice cream) for work (do homework)

a reward is not a gift

it is not us who complicate it. It is people who try to make a gift a reward who
Complicate it

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been born again but being saved is a process, not a singular event. I'm still here. I've been justified, I am being sanctified, I have not yet been glorified. So the short answer is although I am a born-again Christian, I have only been "saved" from the helplessness of sin. I know from whence my help cometh, so I have hope. I have been promised authoring and finishing of my faith and therefore have an assurance of salvation. Anything short of this is unbelief; anything beyond is presumption. Obsession with being "saved" is selfishness and not a fruit of the Spirit, and is therefore undesirable to me. There are no shackles on my ankles to prevent me from rejecting God should I later choose to do so. I have seen consecrated believers do this. It happens all the time. Denying it by saying they were never "saved" to begin with is just a defense mechanism to prop up the obsession with being "saved." When I stand on the sea of glass I will be sealed in my decision. As long as there is temptation there will be opportunity to reject grace. My desire to be saved is not more important than religious liberty..
Paul said we have been saved by gods mercy (Titus 3)

he says we have been saved by grace (EPH 2)

he says we were saved the moment we believed and that salvation is secured by the Holy Spirit (EPH 1)

justification is salvation from the penalty of sin

sanctification is a different type of salvation will will not be completed until we are resurrected

sanctification is conditional and has
No bearing on justification

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is needed because eternal security advocates tend to ignore relevant biblical contexts and verse clusters. The thread will initially focus on the 2nd half of the first century (Revelation and then Hebrews) and then shift to Paul and finally to Jesus. In the process, it will be demonstrated that the election and perseverance texts cited by the OSAS advocates are actually irrelevant to the issue. To avoid chaotic discussion please follow my lead and focus your remarks on the biblical book currently under discussion.

1. THE BOOK OF REVELATION
The case against OSAS in Revelation is clearcut and decisive.

If you conquer, you will be clothed like them in white robes and I will not erase your name from the Book of Life (3:6).”

The threat of erasure implies that the church of Sardis already has their names written in the Book of Life! To prevent the loss of their salvation, they must “conquer,” that is, they must heed the Lord's threat: “Remember then what you have received and heard; obey it and repent. If you do not wake up, I will come like a thief (3:3).” These Christians must persevere in their faith like “those who have not soiled their garments (3:4).”

In the letter to the church of Smyrna the need to “conquer” is again stressed as the way to avoid losing one's salvation: “Whoever conquers will not be harmed by the second death (2:11).” And how can Christians conquer? “Be faithful until death and I will give you the crown of life (3:10).” Again, the implication is that if they are not faithful, their names that are already written in the Book of Life will be erased and they will forfeit “the crown of life.” Remember, the Greek word for “faith” also means “faithful.”

I never say I'm saved but rather think life is an episode of seeking salvation. When there are people that say they are saved (which seems to be a fad or something in mainstream Christianity) I always refer back to the verse of not swearing anything is yours (And they will say it is Gods, which it is, and He will say if I am saved, not me: Matthew 5:33-36

33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sanctification is a different type of salvation will will not be completed until we are resurrected

It is possible that this will be accomplished perfectly before we are resurrected (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (kjv), Hebrews 10:14, 1 John 3:9; Jude 1:24, 2 Peter 1:10, 1 John 2:10; 1 John 3:7, 1 John 3:3, 1 John 2:6).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have been born again but being saved is a process, not a singular event. I'm still here. I've been justified, I am being sanctified, I have not yet been glorified.
"Not a singular event" and "I've been justified" contradict each other. Justification by grace through faith is indeed a singular event, and that includes receiving the imputed righteousness of Christ.

There are many genuine Christians who struggle with the Gospel truth concerning imputed righteousness. The fact that God does impute righteousness to the believer is a mind-boggling concept, since there is nothing within human experience that corresponds to such a “strange” idea. The strange idea being that the one who believes is regarded as being as righteous as God and Christ! “How can that even be possible” is the thought that comes to mind immediately, but Jesus said that with God all things are possible.

The Greek word which has been translated as “imputed” is λογίζομαι (logízomai) pronounced as log-id'-zom-ahee. It’s meanings are: to reckon, count, compute, calculate, count over, to take into account, to make an account of, metaphorically to pass to one's account, to impute. The KJV translates Strong's G3049 in the following manner: impute (8x), reckon (6x), count (5x), account (4x).

The key passage regarding this critical doctrine is the fourth chapter of the epistle to the Romans, and it should be noted that justification by grace through faith and imputed righteousness are two sides of the same coin. Here is what it says in the King James Bible:

ABRAHAM WAS NOT JUSTIFIED BY WORKS
1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD AND IT WAS IMPUTED TO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

THE BELIEVER’S FAITH IS ALSO COUNTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

THE BELIEVER’S SINS ARE FORGIVEN BECAUSE OF GOD'S GRACE AND CHRIST'S FINISHED WORK OF REDEMPTION
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS IS FOR BOTH JEWS AND GENTILES
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision [Jews] only, or upon the uncircumcision [Gentiles] also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. 11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

BELIEVER’S IN CHRIST MUST HAVE THE SAME FAITH AS ABRAHAM
12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised. 13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

THE LAW OF MOSES SHOWS SINNERS THEIR GUILT BUT CANNOT SAVE
15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

GOD’S GRACE IS OFFERED PURELY ON THE BASIS OF FAITH
16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

ABRAHAM’S FAITH IS OUR PRIMARY EXAMPLE
17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were. 18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb: 20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

ABRAHAM’S FAITH WAS IMPUTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. 22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

THE BELIEVER’S FAITH IS ALSO IMPUTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; 24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; 25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

What is not stated in the above chapter is how the righteousness of Christ is put to the account of the believer. And for that we need to go to the Gospel truth that Christ Himself is our righteousness: In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. (Jer 23:6) In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness. (Jer 33:16) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us Wisdom, and Righteousness, and Sanctification, and Redemption: (1 Cor 1:30)

God Himself is our righteousness, therefore when sinners receive Christ as Lord and Saviour, He indwells the believer by the Holy Spirit, and thus sanctifies the saint and also imputes Christ’s righteousness to him or her.

The question remains: “Why does God impute righteousness to the one who believes on Christ?” And the answer is found in the absolute righteousness and holiness of God. Unless the sinner is declared to be “not guilty” (justified), and unless the saint is made as righteous as Christ, that person cannot dwell eternally in the presence of God. As Jesus plainly said: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. (Mt 5:48). But since no man can perfect himself to become as perfect as God, God makes the sinner perfect through Christ, by His grace.We are not only justified by grace through faith, but we are also kept by the power of God, and then ultimately perfected at the Resurrection/Rapture. This is also the reason for the predestination and election of the saints for glorification.

Therefore the first step of salvation is justification, followed by sanctification. But the ultimate step is perfection and glorification: Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. (1 John 3:1-3). We are to purify ourselves through sanctification by the power of the Holy Spirit, but ultimately God perfects the one who believes on Christ. Which also means that justification is not a license to sin, but an imperative for holiness.

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God needs our free choice to be faithful to Him. The Greek word for "faith" also means "faithfulness," so that we are saved by our way of being, not by getting our ticket punched to Heaven, regardless of how we live. OSAS advocates cheapen and debase God's grace.

I agree, we have daily choices to make.

"These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful." (Revelation 17:14)

God Bless!

Reactions: BGR

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is possible that this will be accomplished perfectly before we are resurrected (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 (kjv), Hebrews 10:14, 1 John 3:9; Jude 1:24, 2 Peter 1:10, 1 John 2:10; 1 John 3:7, 1 John 3:3, 1 John 2:6).
If this is true we would be glorified we would be perfect

no man alive is perfect so I can not agree with you

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Easy for you to say, but not for the Bible, eh?
It’s in the Bible

if not we are not saved by grace but by works. Salvation is not a gift it’s a reward. And to be honest. Jesus died in vein we could save ourself

positional sanctification is a completed act. It is called justification, redeemed, attoned being “completely clean” etc

Conditional sanctification is an ongoing process. It is our condition right now
And it changes from day to day depending on how well you follow the spirit vs the flesh. Our eternal salvation is not based on this. If it does we are under law

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you promised a reward (ice cream) for work (do homework)

a reward is not a gift

it is not us who complicate it. It is people who try to make a gift a reward who
Complicate it
Of course a reward can still be a gift. It's not as if we did anything to earn salvation. Having faith isn't a work...( See Romans) so the requirement to continue in the faith is not me dragging myself into glory. It is simply me believing God's promises instead of choosing death.