The Eternal Security Heresy: A Comprehensive Refutation of OSAS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No a reward is not a gift

you earn a reward a gift is freely give (grace)

maybe this is why people
Have a hard time understanding what Grace isn’t they think it can be earned

As Paul said it is one or the other. It can’t be both

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say we can't reject God's power to indwell us? It doesn't.

What are you talking about?

The Lord makes all men an Offer...
You don't want...don't take it!
That is Rejecting His Offer.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are sealed by the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13-14, 2 Corinthians 1:22, 2 Corinthians 5:5) and this means that we are also sealed in faith; for faith is a fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) and a gift of the Spirit (1 Corinthians 12:9). So, as long as I have the Holy Spirit, I will have faith. And I am sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption (Ephesians 4:30).

So then, everlasting life means everlasting faith is given.
We are sealed. Who is sealed. Those who believe. Not those who once upon a Time believed in fifth grade.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you talking about?

The Lord makes all men an Offer...
You don't want...don't take it!
That is Rejecting His Offer.
We can also reject him after being saved.
We can fall into false teaching..
"You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace."

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Not a singular event" and "I've been justified" contradict each other. Justification by grace through faith is indeed a singular event, and that includes receiving the imputed righteousness of Christ.

There are many genuine Christians who struggle with the Gospel truth concerning imputed righteousness. The fact that God does impute righteousness to the believer is a mind-boggling concept, since there is nothing within human experience that corresponds to such a “strange” idea. The strange idea being that the one who believes is regarded as being as righteous as God and Christ! “How can that even be possible” is the thought that comes to mind immediately, but Jesus said that with God all things are possible.

The Greek word which has been translated as “imputed” is λογίζομαι (logízomai) pronounced as log-id'-zom-ahee. It’s meanings are: to reckon, count, compute, calculate, count over, to take into account, to make an account of, metaphorically to pass to one's account, to impute. The KJV translates Strong's G3049 in the following manner: impute (8x), reckon (6x), count (5x), account (4x).

The key passage regarding this critical doctrine is the fourth chapter of the epistle to the Romans, and it should be noted that justification by grace through faith and imputed righteousness are two sides of the same coin. Here is what it says in the King James Bible:

ABRAHAM WAS NOT JUSTIFIED BY WORKS
1 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD AND IT WAS IMPUTED TO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.

THE BELIEVER’S FAITH IS ALSO COUNTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

THE BELIEVER’S SINS ARE FORGIVEN BECAUSE OF GOD'S GRACE AND CHRIST'S FINISHED WORK OF REDEMPTION
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, 7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. 8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

IMPUTED RIGHTEOUSNESS IS FOR BOTH JEWS AND GENTILES
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision [Jews] only, or upon the uncircumcision [Gentiles] also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision. 11 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also:

BELIEVER’S IN CHRIST MUST HAVE THE SAME FAITH AS ABRAHAM
12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised. 13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.14 For if they which are of the law be heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:

THE LAW OF MOSES SHOWS SINNERS THEIR GUILT BUT CANNOT SAVE
15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

GOD’S GRACE IS OFFERED PURELY ON THE BASIS OF FAITH
16 Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

ABRAHAM’S FAITH IS OUR PRIMARY EXAMPLE
17 (As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, even God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were. 18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.19 And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb: 20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;

ABRAHAM’S FAITH WAS IMPUTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. 22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.

THE BELIEVER’S FAITH IS ALSO IMPUTED FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS
23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him; 24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead; 25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.

What is not stated in the above chapter is how the righteousness of Christ is put to the account of the believer. And for that we need to go to the Gospel truth that Christ Himself is our righteousness: In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS. (Jer 23:6) In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely: and this is the name wherewith she shall be called, The LORD our righteousness. (Jer 33:16) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us Wisdom, and Righteousness, and Sanctification, and Redemption: (1 Cor 1:30)

God Himself is our righteousness, therefore when sinners receive Christ as Lord and Saviour, He indwells the believer by the Holy Spirit, and thus sanctifies the saint and also imputes Christ’s righteousness to him or her.

The question remains: “Why does God impute righteousness to the one who believes on Christ?” And the answer is found in the absolute righteousness and holiness of God. Unless the sinner is declared to be “not guilty” (justified), and unless the saint is made as righteous as Christ, that person cannot dwell eternally in the presence of God. As Jesus plainly said: Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. (Mt 5:48). But since no man can perfect himself to become as perfect as God, God makes the sinner perfect through Christ, by His grace.We are not only justified by grace through faith, but we are also kept by the power of God, and then ultimately perfected at the Resurrection/Rapture. This is also the reason for the predestination and election of the saints for glorification.

Therefore the first step of salvation is justification, followed by sanctification. But the ultimate step is perfection and glorification: Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. (1 John 3:1-3). We are to purify ourselves through sanctification by the power of the Holy Spirit, but ultimately God perfects the one who believes on Christ. Which also means that justification is not a license to sin, but an imperative for holiness.
I hope you didn't exert too much effort on my account. I spent 18 years in the OSAS camp, and it was no small feat to rescue me from it. But for 30 years now, I've been alive in Christ by my own free will, and I've heard and read every proof text and rationalization by the eternal security department, and I sure ain't buyin' it now.

BTW, how can a person be justified eternally before the judgment occurs? Salvation is a process, not a drive-thru, and the Bible is not a buffet.

Reactions: amadeus

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No a reward is not a gift

you earn a reward a gift is freely give (grace)

maybe this is why people
Have a hard time understanding what Grace isn’t they think it can be earned

As Paul said it is one or the other. It can’t be both
Belief does not earn my salvation, but it is a condition God has set for salvation.
There's plenty of warnings about falling away from the faith.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s in the Bible

if not we are not saved by grace but by works. Salvation is not a gift it’s a reward. And to be honest. Jesus died in vein we could save ourself

positional sanctification is a completed act. It is called justification, redeemed, attoned being “completely clean” etc

Conditional sanctification is an ongoing process. It is our condition right now
And it changes from day to day depending on how well you follow the spirit vs the flesh. Our eternal salvation is not based on this. If it does we are under law
No Bible, just baloney. Figures.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been born again but being saved is a process, not a singular event. I'm still here. I've been justified, I am being sanctified, I have not yet been glorified. So the short answer is although I am a born-again Christian, I have only been "saved" from the helplessness of sin. I know from whence my help cometh, so I have hope. I have been promised authoring and finishing of my faith and therefore have an assurance of salvation. Anything short of this is unbelief; anything beyond is presumption. Obsession with being "saved" is selfishness and not a fruit of the Spirit, and is therefore undesirable to me. There are no shackles on my ankles to prevent me from rejecting God should I later choose to do so. I have seen consecrated believers do this. It happens all the time. Denying it by saying they were never "saved" to begin with is just a defense mechanism to prop up the obsession with being "saved." When I stand on the sea of glass I will be sealed in my decision. As long as there is temptation there will be opportunity to reject grace. My desire to be saved is not more important than religious liberty..

I utterly disagree.
No idea who taught you, but Scripture says nothing:
about Salvation being a process, Sanctification being a process,
Salvation is only from sin,
Saved is selfishness,
Salvation is not Important,
That after being born again you can Reject God...

Sorry but this is some the looniest stuff I have ever heard.
What denomination teaches this?

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Belief does not earn my salvation, but it is a condition God has set for salvation.

You do not Earn Gifts.
You are Offered Knowledge. Take it or Reject it.
Take it and you receive a gift.
You are Offered Salvation. Take it or Reject it.
Take according to the Offering, and its Permanent.
You are Offered a quickened spirit, Take it or Reject it.
Take according to the OFFERING. and is permanent.

Correct. Faith given FOR Hearing is "Not Permanent".....until you are Converted/ Saved and Born Again....Then it becomes permanent.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We can also reject him after being saved.
We can fall into false teaching..
"You who are trying to be justified by the law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace."

What Law?
The Law doesn't Justify you.
The Law doesn't save you.

Taken

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct. Faith given FOR Hearing is "Not Permanent".....until you are Converted/ Saved and Born Again....Then it becomes permanent.
But that's not what it says... it's not talking to non-believers.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that's not what it says... it's not talking to non-believers.

What do you not get?

When you are introduced to any Topic...
ON introduction do you vacillate Believing some, doubting some, unsure, wonder, deny?

Did you not learn by the disciples examples, how long they listened, followed, were learning, Believing, doubting, didn't get it, didn't understand, wondered, denied?

^ That is a normal process for every man on every new topic...

You don't jump on board, because you were introduced to some guy named Jesus...you learn "about" Him... Hear what He has to say, think about it...and if you didn't wonder, that would be most Odd, to instantly believe, in a God you can not See or hear.

THAT ^ is a man's PROCESS...a diligent Effort.

Plain and simple a man IS Given measures of Gods Gift of Faith "FOR HEARING" Gods WORD!!!!!

Hearing Gods Word...IS NOT believing, maybe you are, maybe you are doubting...

Hearing Gods Word...IS NOT making Any kind of Commitment...

No different than you hearing a sales offer for a time-Share, and getting a radio at the end of the sales pitch. You are listening vacillating, maybe, eh no, oh that sounds good, oh eh nah, not interested, and you walk away, take your little radio and forget about it.

You can walk away from hearing about God also...take your little measure of faith...and forget about it. <--- and that is falling away from Faith!!!
Judas, didn't stick it out...He was too impatient, wasn't listening TO Jesus, but instead was trying to figure out "HOW to get Jesus to Listen TO Him!"

Glory to God,
Taken

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Plain and simple a man IS Given measures of Gods Gift of Faith "FOR HEARING" Gods WORD!!!!!
Nonsense. You are either in or out. You can't be kinda believer but not really. If you are not coverted, you are a non believer. Doesn't matter if you almost believe.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is the work of god we believe

a true believer will never stop believing John makes this perfectly clear

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
BTW, how can a person be justified eternally before the judgment occurs?
Do you see how little you understand of God's plan of salvation? The judgment took place at the cross over 2,000 years ago. That is why God can offer the FREE GIFT of eternal life. The price was already paid.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you see how little you understand of God's plan of salvation? The judgment took place at the cross over 2,000 years ago. That is why God can offer the FREE GIFT of eternal life. The price was already paid.
It’s obvious he does not understand anything about atonement and the cost

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Walking in His Love...Does NOT compute.

Among all the things related to God and salvation, love is at the centre.
Love is the thing that flows from our hearts out to others, the transformation from being defended selfish people, to giving caring lovers of God and man.

So many claim all the surrounding of faith, yet selfishness and self interest is at their heart. So sin is not a problem because the spirit is saved and whatever one does nothing can touch this, even if everything is selfish and lost in its nature.

What indicates a spiritual disconnect is this lack of knowing what love is. Love is so central John says simply if we do not love we do not know God. You literally cannot hate a brother and claim you know Jesus.

I had interaction with a very fiery church elder who was proud of their history of leading church and spiritual teaching, yet they neither knew a cleansed heart or love flowing from within. They did know a dark heart, without worth or lack of sin. It had never struck them that maybe they had never truly met Christ and been cleansed and made new.

And another trait of such folk who do not understand love tend to talk about OSAS and miss security in Christ love and the cross.
It is almost as if the lack of love and depth is made up for by resting on the promises. But the promises are about Gods love and how love changes everything. Now I speak of promise, because until one has experienced it it is alien, a desire one might have of something better but something that as yet has not truly arisen within.

Now I do not know anyones position on the path, I just share my observation and the reactions others provide. Some who I share with come alive because of the love and praise that dwells within and just flows in all that they do. God bless you

Reactions: BarneyFife