The Evils of Cessationalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl you falsely accused me of misusing Scripture. I don't take that lightly.

Back up your accusation and show me where I've misused it.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been a Christian for a very, very long time but I am still hungry and thirsty for more of him and his truths.
You misuse his word and seek signs outside the word. You're tossed around by every wind of doctrine which is a sign of immaturity. Some have been "Christian" years, but don't mature.

Reactions: tzcho2

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know nothing about me, it is all just supposition because you do not like what I say. Are you stern and unapproachable like your avatar? Perhaps you are a bit scary in real life.
I know a lot about your being mislead and immature in the faith simply by observing your conversation with me.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You misuse his word and seek signs outside the word. You're tossed around by every wind of doctrine which is a sign of immaturity. Some have been "Christian" years, but don't mature.
That's just your view.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know a lot about your being mislead and immature in the faith simply by observing your conversation with me.
Now then, I could the same about you but where would that get us. We don't agree but if we are both in Christ whether we agree or not we are sister and brother. So let's not get nasty ok?

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Pearl, you've, in your immaturity and carnal nature been a little hateful and accusatory. I hope you'll mature in the faith and in your behavior. We've tried to help you but you began slinging mud, falsely accusing, misusing Scripture. Anyhow, you can get your last word in.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well obviously it means nothing to you as it wasn't meant for you. o_O
Sorry there @Preacher4Truth these prophecies apparently are not for you--move along now....... :( or me:(
But from my bible, the prophecies are written in scripture and taught to all people who want to read the scripture & know GOD & His plan & purposes, so how is it that your church believes that now God is giving only private prophecies to individual people in the charismatic church? Where is the Biblical precedent for this happening? Btw, I've attended a Charismatic church for 2 yrs , I saw it all. The so called prophecying was going on and they sounded sketchy at best. I became aware that there was a spiritual spectacle going on. That church ended up having major problems and divided also. Sadly there were many in that denomination & the Pentecostal at that time that would not denounce what Todd Bentley was doing and I'm talking before the scandal. It seemed clear to me what he was doing was not by the Holy Spirit.

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Aren't

Aren't we still meant to serve? This it's what's wrong with a big part of today's church, they refuse to accept the truth and are so entrenched in their wrong beliefs that can't see clearly. Read Acts 2:17-18.
Acts 2 ASV
Acts 2 Benson Commentary
Go to that link and read the whole chapter of Acts 2 and the commentary explaining it. Peter was referring to the day of Pentecost.
Again, you are taking this scripture out of context and giving it a different meaning. It is talking about the day of Pentecost and then Peter speaks to the crowd reminding them of what was written by the prophet Joel 2:28
Joel 2:28
And afterward, I will pour out My Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been a Christian for a very, very long time but I am still hungry and thirsty for more of him and his truths.
Pray fervently, seek God and His truth and read the scripture and God will give you ever deeper understanding that you will be blessed.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Pearl, you've, in your immaturity and carnal nature been a little hateful and accusatory. I hope you'll mature in the faith and in your behavior. We've tried to help you but you began slinging mud, falsely accusing, misusing Scripture. Anyhow, you can get your last word in.
Oh for goodness sake look at the plank in your own eye!! I'm going to ignore you now, but look again at the passages I quoted in Acts and Ephesians and all the other time in the NT prophesy is mentioned. We seem to have two different interpretations of it but I'm not convinced yours is right any more than you are convinced it wrong. Bye for now.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh for goodness sake look at the plank in your own eye!! I'm going to ignore you now, but look again at the passages I quoted in Acts and Ephesians and all the other time in the NT prophesy is mentioned. We seem to have two different interpretations of it but I'm not convinced yours is right any more than you are convinced it wrong. Bye for now.
Pearl , those scriptures don't validate your beliefs, you are just misusing them.
Why don't you try to study the Bible using a good study guide or a commentary?

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I fear it's the itchy ears syndrome again.....seems to be quite common around here.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Pearl , those scriptures don't validate your beliefs, you are just misusing them.
Why don't you try to study the Bible using a good study guide or a commentary?
Well, I'm sorry but to me they do validate my beliefs as they do for many others so we'll just have to call it a day and live and let live. OK? :D

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you even paying attention? I never gave any interpretation of those texts. You accused me, falsely, of misusing them, and now you're playing the blame game.

The "prophecy" you offered was false. That doesn't sound like God because it isn't. The fact remains you don't understand immutability. Continuing prophecies have nothing to do with immutability dear one.

Tell me @Pearl what is your testimony?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are you even paying attention? I never gave any interpretation of those texts. You accused me, falsely, of misusing them, and now you're playing the blame game.

The "prophecy" you offered was false. That doesn't sound like God because it isn't. The fact remains you don't understand immutability. Continuing prophecies have nothing to do with immutability dear one.

Tell me @Pearl what is your testimony?
Why do you want my testimony? You go first.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophecy has not ceased. I would agree that a word of prophecy is too often not from God, but the gift remains, as do healings, tongues, and words of wisdom and knowledge. These were never taken from the church. In reality, it is the commandments and doctrines of men that have caused them to cease in many denominations.

I wish the Charismatic Movement hadn't morphed into a sideshow of crazy manifestations and those who chose to follow signs and prosperity preachers as it is today. Thankfully, folks are moving away from much of that old extremism, although it still exists.

When worshipping in a Spirit filled assembly I look forward to times when the worship quiets and we begin to sing in tongues. It's very stirring and inspirational. Oftentimes, a prophecy will follow our singing in the Spirit. It is the best part of any Spirit filled gathering. Some folks have gotten healed merely by the presence of God drawn to the meeting through worship.

Luckily for me, I was saved in '72, after talking to a fellow seaman while deployed to the Caribbean on a destroyer. I asked Jesus to forgive me and confessed He rose from the dead. There wasn't an evangelical person onboard, so I wasn't taught against the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, I may not have gotten Spirit filled and spoke in tongues.

My receiving the infilling took place following a meeting in a beachfront house full of long-haired, sandal wearing, well tanned believers, none of them older than their twenties or thirties. As the Scriptures in Acts states, I was asked, "Have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed?" to which I said, "No." Did I want it? Sure! And so a brother laid his hand on me and led me in prayer and almost immediately I began speaking in tongues....and I still speak in tongues today. It is not gibberish, but rather, it is the Spirit of God making intercession for me. I don't always know what to pray, so the Holy Spirit does it for me, and praises the Lord.
Jude 1:20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Praise God brother. In '72' I was in the Gulf of Tonkin on a helicopter ship. The Lord was reaching out to me through a sailor who was a Christian. It was his witness and testimony that would eventually lead me back to God.

Stranger

Reactions: Pearl