The Evils of Cessationalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God brother. In '72' I was in the Gulf of Tonkin on a helicopter ship. The Lord was reaching out to me through a sailor who was a Christian. It was his witness and testimony that would eventually lead me back to God.

Stranger
What makes that a prophecy?

Reactions: Preacher4Truth

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did I say it was a prophecy?
Stranger
That seemed to be the inference. This has been the debate over the last couple of pages in the thread , some saying God is giving new prophecy by appointed modern Prophets & Modern Apostles and some of us say not.
The way you responded to Hope in God so it sounded like you were saying you were calling it Prophecy.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That seemed to be the inference. This has been the debate over the last couple of pages in the thread , some saying God is giving new prophecy by appointed modern Prophets & Modern Apostles and some of us say not.
The way you responded to Hope in God so it sounded like you were saying you were calling it Prophecy.

Nothing I said indicated any such thing. I was reading through the thread when I came across what 'Hope in God' said. There was a connection, a time when we both were being pursued by God. So I didn't want to pass up the recognition of it.

Stranger

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing I said indicated any such thing. I was reading through the thread when I came across what 'Hope in God' said. There was a connection, a time when we both were being pursued by God. So I didn't want to pass up the recognition of it.

Stranger
No need for being touchy, I wasn't saying you did. I was explaining the reason for my post.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No need for being touchy, I wasn't saying you did. I was explaining the reason for my post.

Whose touchy? You're the one that came with the absurd comment. I wasn't addressing you. If you didn't know what I was speaking to best just leave it alone.

Stranger

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Closed canon.2pet1:3..rev22:18,19

Anthony,

2 Pet 1:3 (NIV) states: 'His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness'.

That says not a word about supernatural gifts ceasing with a closed canon. Seems to me that's your eisegesis of the text.

Rev 22:18-19 (NIV) says,

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: if anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.​

'The prophecy of this scroll/book' refers only to the Book of Revelation and not to the entire NT and OT. The Book of Revelation was written as a separate books to the other books of the NT. The NT is a compilation of books written by various authors.

You are straining at a gnat trying to get 2 Pet 1:3 and Rev 22:18-10 to support your cessationist theology.

Oz
'​

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ya, that's what I thought but , apparently that was not the reasonable thing to assume and shame on me for asking the innocent question, I'm sure there will be an inquisition and a firing squad lined up. :eek:
I can smell the gunpowder, lol!

Reactions: tzcho2

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Prophecies don't have to be for the world-wide Church, they can be for smaller groups. One I heard a few years ago was that God was Sovereign...
Since that truth is already well presented in Scripture, there is nothing prophetic in that statement. God is sovereign -- present tense -- and has always been sovereign.
...and if people didn't respect his sovereignty he would break them up and then put them back together again.
There is nothing in the Bible which corresponds to this weird statement.

What Christians need to understand today is that whatever is stated (by whomever), it must either be a quotation from the Bible, or it must clearly correspond to what is revealed. And that is why there will be nothing new. The apostle John made that crystal clear (Rev 22;18). So did Isaiah.

Therefore here is God's standard: And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? To the Law and to the Testimony: if they speak not according to this Word, it is because there is no light in them. (Isa 8:19,20)

When Isaiah was writing this -- by divine inspiration -- to the nation of Israel, the Jews were in a sorry spiritual state, seeking after occult mediums and wizards for some new revelations, instead of going to the Torah and the Tanakh. (Just like some today looking for new "extra-biblical" revelations.) And what did God say to them through Isaiah? That in order to seek God, they must turn to Scripture, which is here called "the Law" (capitalized by me), "the Testimony" (also capitalized), and "this Word" (also capitalized). According to Psalm 119, the whole written Word of God is also called "the Law". Also, if anything does not correspond to Scripture THERE IS NO LIGHT IN THEM.

Prophecies, tongues, and supernatural knowledge all ceased around the end of the 1st century. Not a single Apostolic Father (ecclesiastical writer, often a bishop) dared call himself an apostle or prophet, since they understood that those men had passed on. And if there ever were new prophecies, they would indeed have to be for the whole Church worldwide, since Scripture is already declared to be sufficient for all Christians (2 Tim 3:16,17).

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anthony,

2 Pet 1:3 (NIV) states: 'His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness'.

That says not a word about supernatural gifts ceasing with a closed canon. Seems to me that's your eisegesis of the text.

Rev 22:18-19 (NIV) says,

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: if anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.​

'The prophecy of this scroll/book' refers only to the Book of Revelation and not to the entire NT and OT. The Book of Revelation was written as a separate books to the other books of the NT. The NT is a compilation of books written by various authors.

You are straining at a gnat trying to get 2 Pet 1:3 and Rev 22:18-10 to support your cessationist theology.

Oz
'​
Fact is it was the sealing of all revelation. There is no more scripture coming.
It speaks of the final judgment and the eternal state.
Peter tells us we have been given all we need that pertains to life and godliness.
Jude tells us to contend for the faith which wasONCE for all time delivered to the saints.
Hebrews tells us the word was confirmed by signs and wonders.2:1-4
It was confirmed, not ongoing.
All through acts the Apostolic word was confirmed, 4:33 5:12,14:3...

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His book The Religious Affections? Yes, he nailed "the enthusiasts" and their false surmisings.
Yes...it gives the person a carnal sense of security. He or she can tell stories,then claim it was a supernatural word.
They never grow in grace and knowledge. They claim their experience over scripture as you.know.
You and others offer scriptural directions that they cannot seem to digest.
Then they call names to deflect away from having no biblical answer.

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you need to read the things I do about modern day prophets. Or maybe you would still disagree so forget it.
What do you read about the modern day prophets , Pearl? what is the source of this information?

tzcho2

Feb 15, 2019
Boston
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know nothing about me, it is all just supposition because you do not like what I say. Are you stern and unapproachable like your avatar? Perhaps you are a bit scary in real life.
The avatar , if I'm not mistaken is a portrait painting of John Bunyan who wrote the classic The Pilgrim's Progress. Portraits in those days were made to look natural not with forced smiles of today. I guess it's a beauty is in the eye of the beholder type of thing.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God brother. In '72' I was in the Gulf of Tonkin on a helicopter ship. The Lord was reaching out to me through a sailor who was a Christian. It was his witness and testimony that would eventually lead me back to God.

Stranger

Isaiah 52:7
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

There was a real move of God in those days, brother, one that swept through the nation and beyond. I was standing aboard a destroyer while you were on a helicopter ship, and yet, God was there with us, drawing us to Himself. Now, that we are in a great battle from shore to shore against the enemies of the Cross, we must begin to put in use all that we have learned in days gone by. For we are truly in a conflict where we need to put on our armor every day and resist those fiery darts of the wicked. Bless you, brother.