The Evils of Cessationalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 52:7
How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth!

There was a real move of God in those days, brother, one that swept through the nation and beyond. I was standing aboard a destroyer while you were on a helicopter ship, and yet, God was there with us, drawing us to Himself. Now, that we are in a great battle from shore to shore against the enemies of the Cross, we must begin to put in use all that we have learned in days gone by. For we are truly in a conflict where we need to put on our armor every day and resist those fiery darts of the wicked. Bless you, brother.

Yes, good words. Pleasure to meet you.

Stranger

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prophecy has not ceased. I would agree that a word of prophecy is too often not from God, but the gift remains, as do healings, tongues, and words of wisdom and knowledge. These were never taken from the church. In reality, it is the commandments and doctrines of men that have caused them to cease in many denominations.

I wish the Charismatic Movement hadn't morphed into a sideshow of crazy manifestations and those who chose to follow signs and prosperity preachers as it is today. Thankfully, folks are moving away from much of that old extremism, although it still exists.

When worshipping in a Spirit filled assembly I look forward to times when the worship quiets and we begin to sing in tongues. It's very stirring and inspirational. Oftentimes, a prophecy will follow our singing in the Spirit. It is the best part of any Spirit filled gathering. Some folks have gotten healed merely by the presence of God drawn to the meeting through worship.

Luckily for me, I was saved in '72, after talking to a fellow seaman while deployed to the Caribbean on a destroyer. I asked Jesus to forgive me and confessed He rose from the dead. There wasn't an evangelical person onboard, so I wasn't taught against the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, I may not have gotten Spirit filled and spoke in tongues.

My receiving the infilling took place following a meeting in a beachfront house full of long-haired, sandal wearing, well tanned believers, none of them older than their twenties or thirties. As the Scriptures in Acts states, I was asked, "Have you received the Holy Spirit since you believed?" to which I said, "No." Did I want it? Sure! And so a brother laid his hand on me and led me in prayer and almost immediately I began speaking in tongues....and I still speak in tongues today. It is not gibberish, but rather, it is the Spirit of God making intercession for me. I don't always know what to pray, so the Holy Spirit does it for me, and praises the Lord.
Jude 1:20
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Give God the glory my friend!