The false doctrine of the immortality of the soul.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Scripture you prefer to ignore makes it crystal clear .

The body returns to dust,sure.

Because the perishable cannot inherit the imperishable. That's in scripture too.

While the soul,returns to God who gave it.

For those who may consider the false, even blasphemous, claim that eternal life in Christ is a lie,which is the underlying intent of the falsehood that occupies space on this particular board, consider this.

When God said, after we die our bodies return to dust,while the soul returns to God who gave it. (That's found in Ecclesiastes 12)

And we recall God's creation of our species back in Genesis.

Genesis 2:7
Yahweh God formed man from the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

And then we consider what we as Christians trust and believe when Immanuel,Jesus says, “Whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life!” (John 5:24)

It takes only a moment,not page after thread page, to revoked the lie that the OP promotes in our community with just one bit of thought behind Jesus' John 5 declaration.

And that is,when we die and our perishable flesh that we know cannot inherit the imperishable, 1 Corinthians 15:50, returns to the dust from which it sprang, Ecclesiastes 12:7, what is that in verse 7 but what Immanuel-Jesus died to guarantee us as he promised in John 5:24?

NEVER let unbelievers persuade your thoughts even for a minute.

Never think Jesus,Immanuel,does not keep his word as the word,God!

Who became flesh and dwelt among us so to deliver that saving promise, covenant, that he gave his life's blood to seal for all time. Trust God. Not atheists whom he does not know.
As we saw, only at the resurrection will the saints be given the gift of eternal life and Christ take them to heaven, so they won't go till then.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read the story of how Jesus resurrected someone He care dearly about...
John 11:1-24
1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
7 Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.
8 His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.
11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
18 Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off:
19 And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Notice what was happening as Jesus said He was going to see Lazarus but told the disciples something that confused them...

'Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, if he sleep he shall do well. Howbeit, Jesus spoke of his death; but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.' John 11:11-14

The disciples thought Christ meant natural sleep, but He meant the sleep of death, as we see Lazarus was in the tomb when they got there.
'On His arrival Jesus found that Lazarus had already been four days in the tomb.' John 11:17

Then Jesus when talking with Martha, tried to comfort her by saying,
'Thy brother shall rise again.' Martha saith unto him, 'I know that He shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' John 11:23,24

Martha knew that life would be restored to Lazarus only in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus demonstrated through the resurrection of Lazarus that He was the One who could resurrect the dead according to His claim: 'I am the resurrection and the life.' John 11:25

The Scriptures in both Old and New Testaments are very clear on this issue. Life to the dead will be restored in the resurrection on the last day, the dead lie in the grave awaiting the resurrection, and then will they be raised up by Christ.
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Matt. 10:28

Hades ( and everyone in it and death will _ at the Final White Throne Judgment _ be cast into the Lake of Fire and be destroyed. 2 Peter 3:10 aligns with this event.

This is how long souls last who have not been given eternal life, up to that point. Of course it is God's prerogative to end their existence at any time prior to that.
God creates life and takes it away according to His purpose.
Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? Romans 9:21 (or out of humanity, one for life and one for death?)
But Christians are given eternal life now. We have immortality now. Our spirit goes to be with the Lord at the moment of our physical death.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

TheHC

Jun 22, 2021
Columbus
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great error (sin) to try to deny the truth of God's Word to try to support little men's ideas and opinions=======

Luke 9:28-30​

Jesus Talks with Moses and Elijah​

28 About eight days after Jesus said these things, he took Peter, John, and James and went up on a mountain to pray. 29 While Jesus was praying, the appearance of his face changed, and his clothes became shining white. 30 Then two men, Moses and Elijah,[a] were talking with Jesus.
This was a vision! Jesus himself said afterward, “Tell the vision to no one.”

Maybe reconsider your statement, “…little men’s ideas”, don’t berate.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
*""""""first, that individuals continue to exist in a state of personal consciousness after death; and second, that they exist in this state as souls without bodies.
Agree.
Else how will those in the grave hear the last trump and the call to ARISE, COME UP HITHER !

Reactions: JBO

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Matt. 10:28

Hades ( and everyone in it and death will _ at the Final White Throne Judgment _ be cast into the Lake of Fire and be destroyed. 2 Peter 3:10 aligns with this event.

This is how long souls last who have not been given eternal life, up to that point. Of course it is God's prerogative to end their existence at any time prior to that.
Does not the potter have power over the clay, from the same lump to make one vessel for honor and another for dishonor? Romans 9:21 (or out of humanity, one for life and one for death?)
But Christians are given eternal life now. We have immortality now. Our spirit goes to be with the Lord at the moment of our physical death.
In Jesus Name....Amen!!....Praise God for his Living seed, the Holy Spirit.who indwells the heart of his Born Again child.

1 Peter 1:23​

23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible,by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Indeed we have eternal life, as soon as we become Born Again, by Gods Living seed.the Holy Spirit.and yes our bodies return to the earth and our spirit goes back to God...immediately on our physical death.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

As you can see, its clear that Matthew 10:28 does not define what a soul is, so we must look at that more closely to understand what is being given here. The usage of soul/psuche (Strong #5590 in the verses in the New Testament is an expanded one that covers various symbolic meanings, however none of the NT references define what a soul is. That definition is found in the Old Testament.
Genesis 2:7
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Now looking at this verse there are some issues in question Matthew 10:28. If this verse indicates that the soul is a separate, dualistic part of a human, than the verse itself states clearly that the soul is NOT immortal; when it says, "destroy both soul and body in hell". That alone shows that the soul, however we decide to define it, CAN be destroyed, thus it is not immortal.

When one reads the entire Matthew 10 particularly starting at 10:16 onward, in this account we find that Christ is talking to the apostles in regards to their persecution as they are being sent out to spread the Gospel. He tells them how hard it is going to be, such as in 10:9 how they would be poor (no gold, nor silver, nor brass)). He tells them not to fear those that are going to persecute them, that they would be brought before governors and kings by those that would have them persecuted. Basically, what we find is Jesus warning them but at the same time giving them strength to do His work, that is the theme, not fearing men. He is telling them to stay strong, for though men may be able to kill them ONLY God can determine ones salvation.

Strong's Lexicon #5590 soul/psuche, has various meanings. But you'll notice that virtually every definition shows traits that are associated with the whole being of a person (their feelings, desires, affections, etc). These are parts of the whole person, not some separate "essence" and as such, the verse simply means 'do not be afraid of those that can kill you, if you are going to be afraid of anyone be afraid of God, for it is He that can destroy you utterly as it is He that decides your salvation'.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now looking at this verse there are some issues in question Matthew 10:28. If this verse indicates that the soul is a separate, dualistic part of a human, than the verse itself states clearly that the soul is NOT immortal; when it says, "destroy both soul and body in hell". That alone shows that the soul, however we decide to define it, CAN be destroyed, thus it is not immortal.
Absolutely
These are parts of the whole person, not some separate "essence" and as such, the verse simply means 'do not be afraid of those that can kill you, if you are going to be afraid of anyone be afraid of God, for it is He that can destroy you utterly as it is He that decides your salvation'.
But the verse distinguishes between body and soul. We are taught the soul is the heart of man, the invisible, non- physical you.
God says He has a soul, therefore it is not aohysocal part of you. We are made in His image. That means we have a mind, will, emotions and our personality us just a range of habits that we gravitate towards.

1 Sam.1:15 "pouring out my soul to the Lord" > reflects thoughts and feelings

Job 3:2 " better soul" >behavior

Psalm 103 " my soul thirsts for you"> thoughts

Psalm 104:35 " we praise with our soul"

Micah 6:7 " our soul sins"

Heb. 4:12 " soul and spirit" > distinguishes between the two. The spirit being the part of the purified person who communes with God, his Most Holy Place in his heart.

1 Peter 2:11 " salvation of our soul"

1 Thes. 5:23 " spirt, soul and body"
Matt. 22:37 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind".
> okay here we have a distinction between heart, soul and mind.

We are so intricately woven together body, spirit, soul, heart, mind ... to a point that they seem inseparable, but they are.
The word is sharper than a two-edged sword that can divide soul and spirit. We are told the spirit is dead when we are born, non- functional and God brings it to life, yet our soul has been functioning all along - on darkness. It's complicated.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Absolutely

But the verse distinguishes between body and soul. We are taught the soul is the heart of man, the invisible, non- physical you.
God says He has a soul, therefore it is not aohysocal part of you. We are made in His image. That means we have a mind, will, emotions and our personality us just a range of habits that we gravitate towards.

1 Sam.1:15 "pouring out my soul to the Lord" > reflects thoughts and feelings

Job 3:2 " better soul" >behavior

Psalm 103 " my soul thirsts for you"> thoughts

Psalm 104:35 " we praise with our soul"

Micah 6:7 " our soul sins"

Heb. 4:12 " soul and spirit" > distinguishes between the two. The spirit being the part of the purified person who communes with God, his Most Holy Place in his heart.

1 Peter 2:11 " salvation of our soul"

1 Thes. 5:23 " spirt, soul and body"
Matt. 22:37 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind".
> okay here we have a distinction between heart, soul and mind.

We are so intricately woven together body, spirit, soul, heart, mind ... to a point that they seem inseparable, but they are.
The word is sharper than a two-edged sword that can divide soul and spirit. We are told the spirit is dead when we are born, non- functional and God brings it to life, yet our soul has been functioning all along - on darkness. It's complicated.
The soul for the Jews was the totality of a person, their character, their ideas, their mind frame. The way I like to explain it, is a body is just reconstructed flesh, but what makes what is a person that we can recognize is the way they talk, and smile, and think. I wont need to be told who is my father or mother at the resurrection, I will recognized them by their traits, character before anyone tells me..

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The soul for the Jews was the totality of a person, their character, their ideas, their mind frame. The way I like to explain it, is a body is just reconstructed flesh, but what makes what is a person that we can recognize is the way they talk, and smile, and think. I wont need to be told who is my father or mother at the resurrection, I will recognized them by their traits, character before anyone tells me..
You make good points. The totality of the purified person _ in heaven _ is all that is good about them.The fleshly stuff is left behind. You won't need to be told who your parents are. It's not just traits and character you'll recognize. You will see them as they looked as a young adult, only perfect. Their physical appearance on earth is part of who they are, their identity. 6 I can imagine all our physical imperfections that we see, will be corrected: dumbo ears, crooked teeth, deformities that are more prevalent will be non-existant. No glasses, no hearing aids and no wheel chairs up there. A super race of immortals who can fly, appear in the physical realm and disappear into the spiritual realm, like angels. We might think that the spiritual realm has no mass and is filled with transparent bodiless floating images. No, I think it is very much like earth, only perfect more colorful and beautiful with physical beings walking around, greeting eachother with a hug. We will have all our senses and then some.

Reactions: The Learner

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You make good points. The totality of the purified person _ in heaven _ is all that is good about them.The fleshly stuff is left behind. You won't need to be told who your parents are. It's not just traits and character you'll recognize. You will see them as they looked as a young adult, only perfect. Their physical appearance on earth is part of who they are, their identity. 6 I can imagine all our physical imperfections that we see, will be corrected: dumbo ears, crooked teeth, deformities that are more prevalent will be non-existant. No glasses, no hearing aids and no wheel chairs up there. A super race of immortals who can fly, appear in the physical realm and disappear into the spiritual realm, like angels. We might think that the spiritual realm has no mass and is filled with transparent bodiless floating images. No, I think it is very much like earth, only perfect more colorful and beautiful with physical beings walking around, greeting eachother with a hug. We will have all our senses and then some.
We turn to dust, we are not immortal, we have to wait for the resurrection, otherwise sin would again be in heaven if we did it of self. Only at the resurrection will we be made incorruptible, and put on immortality...
1 Corinthians 15:42
So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

1 Corinthians 15:52-54
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed.
53 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.
54 So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.

• Love

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We have to understand, God made man in his own image, but He did not make him immortal or of the same substance that He possesses. Our Creator is composed of spirit and is eternal. Humans were made, however, out of the ground or organic substance that constitutes the earth. Adam only became a "living being" (but not an immortal soul) when God breathed life into him.

The first lie, in the Garden of Eden, the devil wanted Eve to believe revolves around the concept of an immortal soul. Eve stated she was instructed not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil or else she would die.

Satan countered that God was lying and that she would not perish. We see that this lie has spread even into Christians today. God's justification for casting Adam and Eve out of the Garden was, "lest he put out his hand and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live forever".

If all humans automatically have a soul that is immortal then barring them from the Tree of Life would not make a difference since they would already possess something that would keep them alive into the future. If, however, Adam and Eve did not possess an immortal soul that allowed them to live forever, then God's concern about them acquiring this ability is justified.

Here is from a friend of my family, Samuele Bacchiocchi's study, which he gave me permission to share "...Throughout human history, people have refused to accept the finality that death brings to life. They have tried to deny the reality of death by teaching various forms of life after death. A key component of this teaching has been the belief in the survival of the soul apart from the body at the moment of death.

In spite of all the scientific breakthrough, the popularity of the belief in the immortality of the soul has not subsided. On the contrary, it is spreading today like wildfire. According to a recent Gallup Poll, 71 percent of Americans believe in some form of conscious life after death.1 The popularity of this belief can be attributed, not only to the traditional teachings of Catholic and Protestant churches, but also to such factors as the polished image of mediums and psychics, the sophisticated "scientific" research into near-death experiences, and the popular New Age channeling with the alleged spirits of the past.

The result is that few beliefs are more widely held today than that of the "immortal soul." Virtually everyone is familiar with this belief. If asked, the average religious person would define the belief something like this: A human being is composed of both body and soul. The body is the temporary physical flesh-and-blood "shell" that houses the soul. The soul is the nonmaterial, immortal component that leaves the body at death and lives on consciously forever in heaven or hell (or purgatory for the Catholics).

Is this popular belief taught in the Bible? Does the Bible teach that we have an immortal soul that leaves the body at death and heads on for heaven or hell, or purgatory? The answer of the average religious person is "YES"! They simply assume that the belief in the immortality of the soul is taught in the Bible. Is this true? Absolutely NOT! This chapter shows that the notion of an immortal soul co-existing with a mortal body, is foreign to the Bible. It derives mostly from Greek pagan philosophies that gradually entered into the Christian church.

We shall see that the biblical view of human nature is wholistic, not dualistic, that is to say, body and soul are not two distinct components, but an indissoluble unity. The soul is simply the animating principle of the body.....

• Love

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For born-again believers only the body dies at death but for believers absent from the body is to be present with God=more alive than ever before.

And... for those that reject the Lord only the body dies

Then they go to hell and will be awake, conscience, and aware for all eternity!

• Love

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And... for those that reject the Lord only the body dies

Then they go to hell and will be awake, conscience, and aware for all eternity!
No they perish, they are consumed and cease to exist, and God will NOT bring them back and so they will be forever separated from Him.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is what happens to the wicked and the saints from what scripture says. The righteous dead are raised out of the grave at the second coming.

For the Lord Himself shall descend from Heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ shall rise first. I Thessalonians 4:16

Only the righteous who are "in Christ" are resurrected at the second coming. The rest of the dead are not resurrected until after the millennium.

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was given unto them. And I saw the souls of those that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads or in their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. Revelation 20:4,5

The righteous are raised - the unrighteous are not raised until the thousand years are finished.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection... Revelation 20:6

In John 5:28,29, Christ tells us that all shall hear His voice. He talks of two resurrections - "the resurrection of life", and "the resurrection of damnation". These two events are separated by a thousand years.

And the righteous living will join the saints that are resurrected and raised up with them into the air to be taken to heaven.

Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them, to meet the Lord in the air. I Thessalonians 4:17

So the righteous living will not taste death, but will be translated as were Enoch and Elijah and changed to prepare them for heaven and taken up.

Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: 'Death is swallowed up in victory.' 1 Corinthians 15: 51-54 NKJV

The living righteous are changed in moments at the last trumpet. Our bodies will be changed into the likeness of His glorious body.

For our citizenship is in heaven, from which we also eagerly wait for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, who will transform our lowly body that it may be fashioned like unto His glorious body... Philippians 3:20, 21 NKJV

Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He shall appear, we shall be like Him . . and every man that hath this hope in Him, purifieth himself, even as He is pure. 1 John 3:2,3 NKJV

He will swallow up death in victory, and the Lord God will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of His people shall He take away from off all the earth; for the Lord has spoken it. And it shall be said in that day: 'Lo, this is our God; we have waited for Him, and He will save us. This is the Lord; we have waited for Him; we will be glad and rejoice in His salvation.' Isaiah 25:8,9

The saints are redeemed but now what happens to the wicked, scripture gives us a clue.

And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, and said to the mountains and rocks, 'Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?' Revelation 6:15-17 NKJV

The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath. He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries. Psalm 110:5,6

These people will be destroyed and their bodies will be strewn over the earth.

And the slain of the Lord shall be at that day from one end of the earth, even unto the other end of the earth; they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the ground. Jeremiah 25:33

They cannot be gathered, lamented or buried because no living being will remain on earth.

I beheld the earth, and indeed it was without form and void; and the heavens, they had no light. I beheld the mountains, and indeed they trembled, and all the hills moved back and forth. I beheld, and indeed there was no man, and all the birds of the heavens had fled. I beheld, and indeed the fruitful land was a wilderness, and all its cities were broken down at the presence of the Lord, by His fierce anger. For thus says the Lord: 'The whole land shall be desolate; yet I will not make a full end.' For this shall the earth mourn, and the heavens above be black, because I have spoken. I have purposed and will not relent, nor will I turn back from it. Jeremiah 4:23-28 NKJV

'I will utterly consume everything from the face of the land,' says the Lord; 'I will consume man and beast; I will consume the birds of the heavens, the fish of the sea, and the stumbling blocks along with the wicked. I will cut off man from the face of the land,' says the Lord. Zephaniah 1:1-3 NKJV

And at the lake of fire they will be totally destroyed and meet the second death which is final.

Behold, all they that were incensed against thee shall be ashamed and confounded: they shall be as nothing; and they that strive with thee shall perish. Isaiah 41:11

1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the Lord of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the Lord of hosts."Malachi 4:1-3

But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. Revelation 21:8

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read the story of how Jesus resurrected someone He care dearly about...
John 11:1-24
1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
7 Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.
8 His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.
11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
18 Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off:
19 And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Notice what was happening as Jesus said He was going to see Lazarus but told the disciples something that confused them...

'Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, if he sleep he shall do well. Howbeit, Jesus spoke of his death; but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.' John 11:11-14

The disciples thought Christ meant natural sleep, but He meant the sleep of death, as we see Lazarus was in the tomb when they got there.
'On His arrival Jesus found that Lazarus had already been four days in the tomb.' John 11:17

Then Jesus when talking with Martha, tried to comfort her by saying,
'Thy brother shall rise again.' Martha saith unto him, 'I know that He shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' John 11:23,24

Martha knew that life would be restored to Lazarus only in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus demonstrated through the resurrection of Lazarus that He was the One who could resurrect the dead according to His claim: 'I am the resurrection and the life.' John 11:25

The Scriptures in both Old and New Testaments are very clear on this issue. Life to the dead will be restored in the resurrection on the last day, the dead lie in the grave awaiting the resurrection, and then will they be raised up by Christ.

Well, hallelujah now I have an idea what the dead are and therefore what gets up. The spirit of Christ must be involved with the soul somehow because of our new nature. The spirit of Christ has to be intertwined because of...

2 Corinthians 5:17 (NIV)
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

So why do we need a redeemer if we have 'immortality now'?

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why do we need a redeemer if we have 'immortality now'?

So we don't spend eternity in hell, duh! clueless-doh.gif

Being immortal just means you will be alive, awake, and conscience for all eternity.

By getting born again and abiding in Christ until the end means you will do so in Heaven.

Those that don't will do so in hell.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So we don't spend eternity in hell, duh! View attachment 40062

Being immortal just means you will be alive, awake, and conscience for all eternity.

By getting born again and abiding in Christ until the end means you will do so in Heaven.

Those that don't will do so in hell.
I'm not surprised many folks shy away from your description of God and I don't blame them. The injustice of an eternity in Hell (as you imagine it) sounds more like something the Devil would do