The false doctrine of the immortality of the soul.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we don't spend eternity in hell, duh! View attachment 40062

Being immortal just means you will be alive, awake, and conscience for all eternity.

By getting born again and abiding in Christ until the end means you will do so in Heaven.

Those that don't will do so in hell.
So then the wicked go to heaven as they too are 'immortal'......got to think that one over...

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So then the wicked go to heaven as they too are 'immortal'......got to think that one over...

If only you could read!

Immortal simply means one is not going to die. Their body will die, but they will not.

This is why the Lord wants the Gospel preached to all people... hello?

Being immortal does not decide WHERE one will spend eternity and as stated in my previous post... those getting born again and abiding in Christ until the end means they will spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord.

Those that doe not get born again, or do not abide IN Christ until the end... will be spending eternity separated from the Lord in hell with satan and all his screamin demons.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We read the story of how Jesus resurrected someone He care dearly about...
John 11:1-24
1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
5 Now Jesus loved Martha, and her sister, and Lazarus.
6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
7 Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again.
8 His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.
11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.
15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
18 Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off:
19 And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Notice what was happening as Jesus said He was going to see Lazarus but told the disciples something that confused them...

'Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, if he sleep he shall do well. Howbeit, Jesus spoke of his death; but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.' John 11:11-14

The disciples thought Christ meant natural sleep, but He meant the sleep of death, as we see Lazarus was in the tomb when they got there.
'On His arrival Jesus found that Lazarus had already been four days in the tomb.' John 11:17

Then Jesus when talking with Martha, tried to comfort her by saying,
'Thy brother shall rise again.' Martha saith unto him, 'I know that He shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' John 11:23,24

Martha knew that life would be restored to Lazarus only in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus demonstrated through the resurrection of Lazarus that He was the One who could resurrect the dead according to His claim: 'I am the resurrection and the life.' John 11:25

The Scriptures in both Old and New Testaments are very clear on this issue. Life to the dead will be restored in the resurrection on the last day, the dead lie in the grave awaiting the resurrection, and then will they be raised up by Christ.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
2 (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
3 Therefore his sisters sent unto him, saying, Lord, behold, he whom thou lovest is sick.
4 When Jesus heard that, he said, This sickness is not unto death, but for the glory of God, that the Son of God might be glorified thereby.
6 When he had heard therefore that he was sick, he abode two days still in the same place where he was.
8 His disciples say unto him, Master, the Jews of late sought to stone thee; and goest thou thither again?
9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.
11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
15 And I am glad for your sakes that I was not there, to the intent ye may believe; nevertheless let us go unto him.
16 Then said Thomas, which is called Didymus, unto his fellowdisciples, Let us also go, that we may die with him.
17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already.
19 And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother.
20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house.
21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died.
22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.
24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Notice what was happening as Jesus said He was going to see Lazarus but told the disciples something that confused them...

'Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go that I may awake him out of sleep. Then said his disciples, if he sleep he shall do well. Howbeit, Jesus spoke of his death; but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.' John 11:11-14

The disciples thought Christ meant natural sleep, but He meant the sleep of death, as we see Lazarus was in the tomb when they got there.
'On His arrival Jesus found that Lazarus had already been four days in the tomb.' John 11:17

'Thy brother shall rise again.' Martha saith unto him, 'I know that He shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.' John 11:23,24

Martha knew that life would be restored to Lazarus only in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus demonstrated through the resurrection of Lazarus that He was the One who could resurrect the dead according to His claim: 'I am the resurrection and the life.' John 11:25

The Scriptures in both Old and New Testaments are very clear on this issue. Life to the dead will be restored in the resurrection on the last day, the dead lie in the grave awaiting the resurrection, and then will they be raised up by Christ.
There is abundant evidence in the scriptures that when a child of God dies he goes immediately to be with the Lord. Jesus said to the thief on the cross, “Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). This is an amazing display of grace. The man was dying because he was a convicted criminal; he deserved nothing. It was too late to turn over a new leaf, too late to be baptized, too late to join the church — but not too late for Jesus to save him and promise that he would be with him in Paradise. There would be no soul-sleeping, no intermediate state; upon death he would go directly to be with the Lord. We see another beautiful example of this truth in the death of Stephen. He had preached a powerful, convicting message. Yet the response of his listeners was, “When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and gnashed on him with their teeth” (Acts 7:54). Rather than being humbled and brought to repentance, they were angry and decided to kill the messenger. “But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God” (Acts 7:56). What a way to die! As they were stoning him he looked into heaven and saw Jesus ready to welcome him home.Then we read the words of the Apostle Paul. “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21). Paul viewed death not as extinction or soul-sleeping, but as a positive move to something that was better; he considered it gain. And then he said, “For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you” (Philippians 2:23-24). Paul was not depressed or despairing of life. He was willing to remain and minister to the Lord’s people, but his ultimate desire was to be with the Lord. And the reason dying was gain is that it meant being with the Lord. No intermediate state, no purgatory, no soul sleeping, but to be with the Lord.Paul writes at length in his second epistle to the Corinthians about the desire to be with the Lord. He points out that the afflictions of the present are actually light when weighed against the glory that is to come. And then he declares, “We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:8).
For God’s children, death is not a dismal defeat at the end of life but a home-going to be forever with the Lord.
We hear sermons about Heaven, we sing songs about Heaven, we say we believe in Heaven; but to contemplate what it will mean to be in the presence of Jesus Christ forever is beyond our ability to fully grasp. What a blessed hope we have to know that when we breathe out our last we are not going into some dark unknown region, but to be with Jesus Christ who loved us and gave himself for us!

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Rev 20:4 - And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was givenunto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus,and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image,neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they livedand reigned with Christ a thousand years.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is abundant evidence in the scriptures that when a child of God dies he goes immediately to be with the Lord.
I suppose that means that when one goes to be immediately with the Lord he wont be in the first resurrection?.....I wonder who they are then?

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose that means that when one goes to be immediately with the Lord he wont be in the first resurrection?.....I wonder who they are then?
Rev 20:5 - But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.
Unchecked Copy Box
Rev 20:6 - Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on suchthe second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, andshall reign with him a thousand years.

What is the first resurrection? What is the second resurrection?​

Daniel 12:2 summarizes the two very different fates facing mankind: “Many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.” Everyone will be raised from the dead, but not everyone will share the same destiny. The New Testament reveals the further detail of separate resurrections for the just and the unjust.

Revelation 20:4-6 mentions a “first resurrection” and identifies those involved as “blessed and holy.” The second death (the lake of fire, Revelation 20:14) has no power over these individuals. The first resurrection, then, is the raising of all believers. It corresponds with Jesus’ teaching of the “resurrection of the just” (Luke 14:14) and the “resurrection of life” (John 5:29).

The first resurrection takes place in various stages. Jesus Christ Himself (the “first fruits,” 1 Corinthians 15:20), paved the way for the resurrection of all who believe in Him. There will be the resurrection of “the dead in Christ” at the Lord’s return (1 Thessalonians 4:16) and the resurrection of the martyrs at the end of the tribulation (Revelation 20:4). The Old Testament saints will also be raised at the end of the tribulation, and they are also part of the first resurrection.

Revelation 20:12-13 identifies those comprising the second resurrection as the wicked judged by God at the great white throne judgment prior to being cast into the lake of fire. The second resurrection, then, is the raising of all unbelievers; the second resurrection is connected to the second death. It corresponds with Jesus’ teaching of the “resurrection of damnation” (John 5:29).

The event which divides the first and second resurrections seems to be the millennial kingdom. The last of the righteous are raised to reign “with Christ a thousand years” (Revelation 20:4), but the “rest of the dead [that is, the wicked] lived not again until the thousand years were finished” (Revelation 20:5).

What great rejoicing will attend the first resurrection! What great anguish at the second! What a responsibility we have to share the Gospel! “And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire” (Jude 23).

Last edited:

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, for the believer in Jesus Christ, the Bible tells us that after death believers’ souls/spirits are taken to heaven, because their sins were forgiven when they received Christ as Savior (John 3:16, 18, 36). For believers, death means being “away from the body and at home with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:6–8; Philippians 1:23). However, passages such as 1 Corinthians 15:50–54 and 1 Thessalonians 4:13–17 describe believers being resurrected and given glorified bodies. If believers go to be with Christ immediately after death, what is the purpose of this resurrection? It seems that, while the souls/spirits of believers go to be with Christ immediately at death, the physical body remains in the grave “sleeping.” At the resurrection of believers, the physical body is resurrected, glorified, and reunited with the soul/spirit. This reunited and glorified body-soul-spirit will be the state of existence for believers for eternity in the new heavens and new earth

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If only you could read!

Immortal simply means one is not going to die. Their body will die, but they will not.

This is why the Lord wants the Gospel preached to all people... hello?

Being immortal does not decide WHERE one will spend eternity and as stated in my previous post... those getting born again and abiding in Christ until the end means they will spend eternity in Heaven with the Lord.

Those that doe not get born again, or do not abide IN Christ until the end... will be spending eternity separated from the Lord in hell with satan and all his screamin demons.
No, only God is Immortal and has Immortality as scripture lays out.
1 Timothy 1:17
Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

1 Timothy 6:15=16
15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords;
16 Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honour and power everlasting. Amen.

We will get the gift of eternal life only at the resurrection and only then will our bodies be changed.
1 Corinthians 15:53
For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality.

The saints are changed in moments at the last trumpet in a twinkling of the eye. We cannot go to heaven with these corrupted and broken bodies full of pain, sickness, disease, we will be transformed in a instance, all these things will be taken away. Our bodies will be changed into the likeness of His, incorruptible, and get a fashioned as we were meant to be at Creation, in the likeness of the image of God.
Philippians 3:21
Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

God made man in his own image, but did not make him immortal or of the same substance which has immortality, omnipotent, omnipresent, etc.. that he possesses. The first lie the devil wanted Eve to believe revolves around the concept of an immortal soul. Eve stated she was instructed not to eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil or else she would die. We see what the devils lie was..
Genesis 3:4
And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:

Satan said that God was lying and that Eve would not perish and this lie has spread even into Christians. Now if you mean that by faith you believe that God is what we rely on as He is the God of the living, because He is the life and the resurrection, then we are in agreement.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is abundant evidence in the scriptures that when a child of God dies he goes immediately to be with the Lord. Jesus said to the thief on the cross, “Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43). This is an amazing display of grace. The man was dying because he was a convicted criminal; he deserved nothing. It was too late to turn over a new leaf, too late to be baptized, too late to join the church — but not too late for Jesus to save him and promise that he would be with him in Paradise. There would be no soul-sleeping, no intermediate state; upon death he would go directly to be with the Lord. We see another beautiful example of this truth in the death of Stephen. He had preached a powerful, convicting message. Yet the response of his listeners was, “When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and gnashed on him with their teeth” (Acts 7:54). Rather than being humbled and brought to repentance, they were angry and decided to kill the messenger. “But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked steadfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God” (Acts 7:56). What a way to die! As they were stoning him he looked into heaven and saw Jesus ready to welcome him home.Then we read the words of the Apostle Paul. “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 1:21). Paul viewed death not as extinction or soul-sleeping, but as a positive move to something that was better; he considered it gain. And then he said, “For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better: nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you” (Philippians 2:23-24). Paul was not depressed or despairing of life. He was willing to remain and minister to the Lord’s people, but his ultimate desire was to be with the Lord. And the reason dying was gain is that it meant being with the Lord. No intermediate state, no purgatory, no soul sleeping, but to be with the Lord.Paul writes at length in his second epistle to the Corinthians about the desire to be with the Lord. He points out that the afflictions of the present are actually light when weighed against the glory that is to come. And then he declares, “We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:8).

We hear sermons about Heaven, we sing songs about Heaven, we say we believe in Heaven; but to contemplate what it will mean to be in the presence of Jesus Christ forever is beyond our ability to fully grasp. What a blessed hope we have to know that when we breathe out our last we are not going into some dark unknown region, but to be with Jesus Christ who loved us and gave himself for us!
Man goes straight to the grave, not to heaven or especially not to hell as the wicked havent been judged, so no. Now as to what our next thoughts after the grave, one can look at that perception and say it will be of Christ, but for all intents and purposes, we will in fact remain in the grave until Christ's return.

You can say that the next waking thought is of our Lord and Saviour, as here is the thing and it centers around "time". What does time seem like to the dead? Well, the scriptures tell us that the dead know not anything. There is no discernment of time and when we die, regardless if it is today, tomorrow or 1,000 years ago or more, when we are resurrected it will seem only like a blink of an eye has passed in terms of time. This does not mean that we go to heaven immediately upon death but only that the dead cannot perceive of the time they were in the grave. So the next conciuous awareness is of Christ in the clouds of angels, bringing up the saints back to life at the resurrection at the Second Coming. There is a huge different between going to heaven immediately upon death, and the dead's perception of the time they spend in the grave and their next waking perception, but they dont go to heaven or hell the instant they die.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Man goes straight to the grave, not to heaven or especially not to hell as the wicked havent been judged, so no. Now as to what our next thoughts after the grave, one can look at that perception and say it will be of Christ, but for all intents and purposes, we will in fact remain in the grave until Christ's return.

You can say that the next waking thought is of our Lord and Saviour, as here is the thing and it centers around "time". What does time seem like to the dead? Well, the scriptures tell us that the dead know not anything. There is no discernment of time and when we die, regardless if it is today, tomorrow or 1,000 years ago or more, when we are resurrected it will seem only like a blink of an eye has passed in terms of time. This does not mean that we go to heaven immediately upon death but only that the dead cannot perceive of the time they were in the grave. So the next conciuous awareness is of Christ in the clouds of angels, bringing up the saints back to life at the resurrection at the Second Coming. There is a huge different between going to heaven immediately upon death, and the dead's perception of the time they spend in the grave and their next waking perception, but they dont go to heaven or hell the instant they die.
Well that’s a possibility but we really won’t know until we die and experience it for ourselves

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hobie is I believe 7th Day Adventist. There are a lot of things he says I agree with, but this isn't one of them. It isn't mainstream Christian teaching and isn't really the conclusion of any thoughtful study of the bible.

Reactions: RLT63

Starise

Dec 8, 2023
Christiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think this subject can be a confusing study to anyone who doesn't look at context IMO. The body in the ground .vs the soul taken away.

Ecclesiates 12:7

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

Reactions: RLT63

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well you can always read what is given us in the Bible...

That link is not to what the Bible teaches... it's to some SDA religous website. I read a while back that SDA peoples are taught by their religion that... the SDA headquarters is the voice of God to all SDA members.

So apparently SDA is similar to the catholics in that they are not allowed to study God's Word for themselves and be led by the Holy Spirit... they can be dis fellow shipped if they don't always agree with the leaders of their religion.

Ecclesiates 12:7

Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

This does not mean universalism is true as some suppose.

2 Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

That's for true Christians... all others will be present in hell when they die.

Either way, we will be awake and conscience where ever the Lord sends us when we die and leave our body

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That link is not to what the Bible teaches... it's to some SDA religous website. I read a while back that SDA peoples are taught by their religion that... the SDA headquarters is the voice of God to all SDA members.

So apparently SDA is similar to the catholics in that they are not allowed to study God's Word for themselves and be led by the Holy Spirit... they can be dis fellow shipped if they don't always agree with the leaders of their religion.

This does not mean universalism is true as some suppose.

2 Corinthians 5:8
We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.

That's for true Christians... all others will be present in hell when they die.

Either way, we will be awake and conscience where ever the Lord sends us when we die and leave our body
Thanks. I didn’t notice the link before.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For born-again believers only the body dies at death but for believers absent from the body is to be present with God=more alive than ever before.

Correct.
The SOUL, historically and presently, for the saved (and unsaved), departs a dead body and continues LIVING…
* Saved…the departed living soul is with God in Heaven, at peace.
* Un-saved…the departed living soul is without God in Hell, in torments.

Glory to God,
Taken