The Garden or the Cross

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lukethreesix

Jan 11, 2014
"The most valuable aspect of Gods character in the Bible is His prevailing faithfulness and never ending love" - aspen
AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Exodus 4:11 (ESV): " Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?”"

The carnal mind doesn't comprehend why God would deliberately make someone mute, deaf or blind. Yet, according to Exodus 4:11, God does just that.

Our understanding of God is imperfect while we remain on this side of eternity. What God does doesn't have to make sense to us before God can do it.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And i am saying that from Jobs perspective, it really felt like God gave him over to Satan because some awful life circumstances happened to him, it probably did feel like a cruel bet between God and His servant Satan. After the tradgety happenned and Job lived through it, with his faith intact, and his finances and surviving relationships became stronger and even more meaningful due to his perserverence, he probably really did question God about the whole situation. and
God probably really gave Him a sovereignty focused answer - 'you are small, i am big - life is hard, but i am in control and you do not have to worry, just continue to love your way through it' The End.

it is a compelling story because all humans experience pain and look for someone stronger, wiser, and kinder to help us to make sence of it and provide comfort.

As far as God 'sending a lying spirit' - In the author's mind, in Job's mind, God is soveriegn over everything so nothing happens without Him personally authorizing it, so He must have done it. it is certainly
more emotionally comforting than deciding that pain is meaningless or God is cruel or too weak to protect or punishing. Job is the story of how humans who survive pain in their lives by making sense of it and using it to make them stronger. does that really sound like i am dismissing the story or trying to take away its power or impotanc? The fact is, this story has to be inspired because it is universal and captures the human struggle with pain perfectly
and yeah, you are right - i certainly interpret the Bible through a specific lens, which preserves what i know to be true about Gods character, which includes His mercy, justice, and goodness. i attribute the evil protrayals of God as shortcomings of the authors rather than an accurate understanding of Gods nature. i think it beats the Calvinists method, which is to reframe evil portrayals of God as good in order to preserve His sovereignty at all cost......God definds good based on whatever horrible action He happens to generate YET punishes His creation for doing the same things. in the Cavinists schema, the only absolute Truth is God - not His laws or character - He may not be knoweable, but boy, He sure is strong! and anyone who points out that this portral of God is unknoweable and cruel is just not willing to accept Gods authority........well you know what? Your right - it would be unethical for me to do so. i know this because i know Jesus and He knew His Father intimately - i think it would be impossible for Him to know His Father intimately based on a sovereinty at all cost understanding of His character

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Job's story carries an essential message. Not every malady is a payment for sin.

John 9:2-3
"2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”
3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him."

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
aspen said:
And i am saying that from Jobs perspective, it really felt like God gave him over to Satan because some awful life circumstances happened to him, it probably did feel like a cruel bet between God and His servant Satan. After the tradgety happenned and Job lived through it, with his faith intact, and his finances and surviving relationships became stronger and even more meaningful due to his perserverence, he probably really did question God about the whole situation. and
God probably really gave Him a sovereignty focused answer - 'you are small, i am big - life is hard, but i am in control and you do not have to worry, just continue to love your way through it' The End.

it is a compelling story because all humans experience pain and look for someone stronger, wiser, and kinder to help us to make sence of it and provide comfort.

As far as God 'sending a lying spirit' - In the author's mind, in Job's mind, God is soveriegn over everything so nothing happens without Him personally authorizing it, so He must have done it. it is certainly
more emotionally comforting than deciding that pain is meaningless or God is cruel or too weak to protect or punishing. Job is the story of how humans who survive pain in their lives by making sense of it and using it to make them stronger. does that really sound like i am dismissing the story or trying to take away its power or impotanc? The fact is, this story has to be inspired because it is universal and captures the human struggle with pain perfectly
and yeah, you are right - i certainly interpret the Bible through a specific lens, which preserves what i know to be true about Gods character, which includes His mercy, justice, and goodness. i attribute the evil protrayals of God as shortcomings of the authors rather than an accurate understanding of Gods nature. i think it beats the Calvinists method, which is to reframe evil portrayals of God as good in order to preserve His sovereignty at all cost......God definds good based on whatever horrible action He happens to generate YET punishes His creation for doing the same things. in the Cavinists schema, the only absolute Truth is God - not His laws or character - He may not be knoweable, but boy, He sure is strong! and anyone who points out that this portral of God is unknoweable and cruel is just not willing to accept Gods authority........well you know what? Your right - it would be unethical for me to do so. i know this because i know Jesus and He knew His Father intimately - i think it would be impossible for Him to know His Father intimately based on a sovereinty at all cost understanding of His character
What can I say. You basically write your own bible, because you don't believe this One. Because you refuse to believe what it says if it goes agaisnt your already preconcieved beliefs.

Quantrill
Dodo_David said:
Exodus 4:11 (ESV): " Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?”"

The carnal mind doesn't comprehend why God would deliberately make someone mute, deaf or blind. Yet, according to Exodus 4:11, God does just that.

Our understanding of God is imperfect while we remain on this side of eternity. What God does doesn't have to make sense to us before God can do it.
Which is why it is so important that we trust what God says in His Word as true.

Quantrill

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and you try to fit Gods entire charcter into the limitations of the Bible, written from a limited human perspective so i guess we will have to wait to see how it all comes together. the bible is snapshot of God - it is inspired not divine

SolaGratia

Dec 24, 2013
Northwest Washington State
Angelina said:
A friend made an interesting statement the other night. He said that we are better off since Christ's death on the cross and his resurrection than Adam was prior to the fall.

Any thoughts :huh:
We are co-heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17). Adam was not.
We will reign with Christ (2 Timothy 2:12). Adam had dominion over the earth but did not reign with Christ.
We will share in Christ's glory (Romans 8:17). Adam did not.
We are blessed in Christ with every spiritual blessing (Ephesians 1:3). Adam was blessed, but not to that degree
Adam was not bad off. But we are better off.

Quantrill

Nov 29, 2013
Texas
aspen said:
and you try to fit Gods entire charcter into the limitations of the Bible, written from a limited human perspective so i guess we will have to wait to see how it all comes together. the bible is snapshot of God - it is inspired not divine
You're wrong. The Bible is the Word of God. Inspired by God. God is its Author.

You're bible is nothing but a mans writing. Inspired by human inspiration at best. Based only on your ideas of what god should be.

I believe the Bible. And I believe what is says about God. Sorry you don't. But it is good to know.

Quantrill