• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Eph. 4:11

I have been a Christian for 33 years
I don't have it. I never led anyone to the Lord as far as witnessing or in a ministry where the person prayed and received Jesus as their Lord. I have shared my faith, discussed doctrines but I feel that they were just seeds scattered that maybe lied dormant and bloomed at a later time, but not at the moment.
Evangelical churches stress this as everyone 's responsibility to go out and evangelize, hand out tracts, stand on a box in a crowded public area and preach ... It never worked for me, but I know it doe for people with that gift. Otherwise it could be a frustrating and disappointing venture. I suppose I have used my gifts. I am trying to do something but feel I really won't know what effect it has had until I am in heaven. I would like to receive a "well done, good and faithful servant"; but I feel I have failed with many opportunities to do the Lord's work. I do know that He has used me at times; but it seems far and few between.
The work of the Holy Spirit does not go out void and so I do believe every detail of His plan is accomplished.
Example of my inability to evangelize:
I had it out with a neighbor today. She attacked Trump. I have known for a long time that she hated Trump. But she also hates Jesus. She has made several deragatory comments about my " white God". She has a dark side, negative about men, having no relationships with men for thirty years only with her horse and dogs, a staunch liberal feminist. She complains about neighbors constantly (whom she seems to be subjected to problem people as if being punished.)
Anyways, I asked if she thought Biden did a better job in the last three years than Trump did and she said yes. I told her she was insane. She said, "I am sitting on $1.2 million, what are you sitting on?" I said, "I am sitting on eternal salvation and you got nothing unless you have the Lord ... YOU GOT NOTHING!" And then I said, " on that note, Happy New Year" and walked away in the other direction.
See, I am not a evangelist, I don't have patience with people like that. I know it wasn't the right thing to say, but I just blurted it out.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now these are the gifts Christ gave to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. Eph. 4:11

I don't have it. I never led anyone to the Lord as far as witnessing or in a ministry where the person prayed and received Jesus as their Lord. I have shared my faith, discussed doctrines but I feel that they were just seeds scattered that maybe lied dormant and bloomed at a later time, but not at the moment.
Evangelical churches stress this as everyone 's responsibility to go out and evangelize, hand out tracts, stand on a box in a crowded public area and preach ... It never worked for me, but I know it doe for people with that gift. Otherwise it could be a frustrating and disappointing venture. I suppose I have used my gifts. I am trying to do something but feel I really won't know what effect it has had until I am in heaven. I would like to receive a "well done, good and faithful servant"; but I feel I have failed with many opportunities to do the Lord's work. I do know that He has used me at times; but it seems far and few between.
The work of the Holy Spirit does not go out void and so I do believe every detail of His plan is accomplished.
I had it out with a neighbor today. She attacked Trump. I have known for a long time that she hated Trump. But she also hates Jesus. She has made several deragatory comments about my " white God". She has a dark side, negative about men, having no relationships with men for thirty years only with her horse and dogs, a staunch liberal feminist. She complains about neighbors constantly (whom she seems to be subjected to problem people as if being punished.)
Anyways, I asked if she thought Biden did a better job in the last three years than Trump did and she said yes. I told her she was insane. She said, "I am sitting on $1.2 million, what are you sitting on?" I said, "I am sitting on eternal salvation and you got nothing unless you have the Lord ... YOU GOT NOTHING!" And then I said, " on that note, Happy New Year" and walked away in the other direction.
See, I am not a evangelist, I don't have patience with people like that. I know it wasn't the right thing to say, but I just blurted it out.

She sees you as representative. You are a man-- she is negative about men, you say, so she is negative about you. She might see you also as representative of Republicans, or conservatives, or even of Trump, --and she hates Trump, so she hates you. If she sees you as Christian, and as you say, she hates Jesus-- then she would translate that hatred toward you again.... in a paragraph she's called three strikes against you.

Here's the thing Ron..... You can't do anything about being a man in terms of gender, but you can become a kind man. And even if you think you are-- you are actually not Trump's representative, nor some kind of ambassador for the Republican party,-- neither are you any kind of evangelist for the conservative movement. But you are, as a Christian-- Christ's representative and ambassador, like it or not-- so you should take that role most seriously. Because, like your gender you are what you are when you are born, or born again.

It's kind of a cop-out to say-- "I don't have it" (the gift of evangelism) to be quite frank. It's like saying you don't have 'the gift of gab' -- so what? You now can't order a sandwich at Subway, because you don't have the gift? It's ridiculous. You are offering yourself an excuse for being rude and at the same time a very poor example (ambassador) of Christ.

Imagine playing pickleball for the first time and really loving the game. It's super easy to 'get hooked' on pickleball and want to play it as much as possible. People join leagues that operate like social clubs and pickleball players become fast friends over the love of the game.

Now imagine being a pickleball enthusiast for 33 years and never telling anyone how much you love it, or inviting anyone to try it, or to come and play with you, or to check it out on their own-- or dragging them to the pickleball court to even see the game played by others. If that was the case, I wouldn't question whether you had "the gift" of pickleball, or not-- but I would really question what kind of a person you are. Do you really love pickleball, like you say you do? If all you did was go around scolding people about all the rules and regulations surrounding the game, and criticizing other players-- would anyone be attracted to it, by you?

Maybe rethink your post and examine your actions in a different light. You don't need some special "gift" to be nice to people.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am curious as to why you wrote this under the title "The Gift of Evangelism". First i thought you were just going to say you didn't have that gift. There are other spiritual gifts, though. Teaching, helps, etc. Teaching can be as easy as offering clarity to someone about a scripture on a forum
Helps can be getting groceries for someone who needs them or giving kind words to someone who is hurting.

I don't think your neighbor benefited at all by your words. Talking to her about politics, which Jesus didn't really do, and then telling her that you are sitting on eternal salvation. You know that is not going to do anything but show her that the next door neighbors likes trump, called her insane, and then said he was gonna be saved. Some witness.

That is your sister, brother. Maybe she is going through some stuff--why don't you try to be kind, even if it hurts?

But she also hates Jesus. She has made several deragatory comments about my " white God". She has a dark side, negative about men, having no relationships with men for thirty years only with her horse and dogs, a staunch liberal feminist. She complains about neighbors constantly (whom she seems to be subjected to problem people as if being punished.
You say she complains. Maybe if the love of Christ was shown to her, she would change. Sure doesn't look like it was.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
See, I am not a evangelist, I don't have patience with people like that.

Something you might try, is to not try that again....

Instead ask God to open a door into this woman's hearing, so that she would ask you.
This way you know it's God., as "faith comes by hearing".

Also. everyone has problems.
Everyone is suffering, everyone is facing something they dont want to face, or will soon, again.
This world does not let you out of it alive, and its a Thorn all the way to the end.
Everyone is Thorn'd.

Sometimes the way to bypass all the standard resistance that God haters and Christ rejectors are manifesting, is not to talk to them about it..
Instead, ask them if you can pray for them.
Unbelievers are afraid of God because they believe He is angry with them.
Often they really believe that "Christianity is a crutch" and "if you could deal with life you would not run to Jesus"..

Really successful "Lost" people have that mind, most of the time.

See they dont understand at all, that God is wanting a eternal LOVE relationship with them.
Often they think that "God wants me broke", "a slave to some church" and "wont let me have any more fun".
Even some believers believe that nonsense.

So, all of those mindsets, sometimes can be bypassed, if you just offer to pray for someone... Reader.
And when you do that, they will perceive God as caring, because you are caring for them.
And "all need love".
So, if we offer to pray, then that puts a new light on it, for them....and that can help them find more light.

If that happens, then keep the prayer simple... pray for what they say they are struggling with...

"my teenager is on drugs".
"my husband is unfaithful"
"i need a job"

Whatever it is, pray for that.. and ask God to help them..... and then say... ""And Father, let them know that you love them so much, that Jesus died for them on THE CROSS to prove it"... "amen".

Always put "the Cross" in there, because "the preaching of the Cross is the POWER of GOD... unto Salvation" = Theirs, ours.

And thats it.
Leave it there.
Why?
Because you planted a seed in their heart and God's Spirit water's those seeds.
He really does.

See, its our part to share God's Love, 2 Corinthians 5:19 as the Cross, but the rest is God's responsibility.
We can't save anyone, .. we can only lead them there.
God is the Savior, and Christ is the Way.
We're just the messenger and we have the good news.
We have HOPE to give, and they have none.

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
She sees you as representative. You are a man-- she is negative about men, you say, so she is negative about you. She might see you also as representative of Republicans, or conservatives, or even of Trump, --and she hates Trump, so she hates you. If she sees you as Christian, and as you say, she hates Jesus-- then she would translate that hatred toward you again.... in a paragraph she's called three strikes against you.

Here's the thing Ron..... You can't do anything about being a man in terms of gender, but you can become a kind man. And even if you think you are-- you are actually not Trump's representative, nor some kind of ambassador for the Republican party,-- neither are you any kind of evangelist for the conservative movement. But you are, as a Christian-- Christ's representative and ambassador, like it or not-- so you should take that role most seriously. Because, like your gender you are what you are when you are born, or born again.

It's kind of a cop-out to say-- "I don't have it" (the gift of evangelism) to be quite frank. It's like saying you don't have 'the gift of gab' -- so what? You now can't order a sandwich at Subway, because you don't have the gift? It's ridiculous. You are offering yourself an excuse for being rude and at the same time a very poor example (ambassador) of Christ.

Imagine playing pickleball for the first time and really loving the game. It's super easy to 'get hooked' on pickleball and want to play it as much as possible. People join leagues that operate like social clubs and pickleball players become fast friends over the love of the game.

Now imagine being a pickleball enthusiast for 33 years and never telling anyone how much you love it, or inviting anyone to try it, or to come and play with you, or to check it out on their own-- or dragging them to the pickleball court to even see the game played by others. If that was the case, I wouldn't question whether you had "the gift" of pickleball, or not-- but I would really question what kind of a person you are. Do you really love pickleball, like you say you do? If all you did was go around scolding people about all the rules and regulations surrounding the game, and criticizing other players-- would anyone be attracted to it, by you?

Maybe rethink your post and examine your actions in a different light. You don't need some special "gift" to be nice to people.
I have been nice to her and her dogs for 6 years walking, having superficial conversations, staying away from religion and politics knowing what she believes and who she is. Nice stays superficial. Once you enter into rough currents it becomes difficult to steer. My son-in-law is an atheist. I guess my daught thought she could turn him, " missionary marry". So I play nice with him too. It goes nowhere. Once religion or politics are brought, attitudes, anger, strife comes
... "All right, all right, forget about it ... Lord, get someone else", I 'll say.
I just don't feel led by the Lord, only sometimes, but not with evangelism.
I have seen Christians who are gifted in that area lead dozens, hundreds to the Lord. It is not that they know more than I do obviously. And maybe it is part of my makeup, who I am. I have been known all my life as being a nice guy. That is not enough. Knowledge is not enough, faith or will - It is a gift.

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been nice to her and her dogs for 6 years walking, having superficial conversations, staying away from religion and politics knowing what she believes and who she is. Nice stays superficial. Once you enter into rough currents it becomes difficult to steer. My son-in-law is an atheist. I guess my daught thought she could turn him, " missionary marry". So I play nice with him too. It goes nowhere. Once religion or politics are brought, attitudes, anger, strife comes
... "All right, all right, forget about ... Lord, get someone else", I 'll say.

What you did (said) reinforced every negative stereotype and at the same time it obliterated any testimony you might have once had.

You should admit you were wrong, humble yourself and go apologize.

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He who truly is a Christian and born from above, have The Holy Spirit within them. He is not some small part of us as some suppose, but is there in Person. When we by faith and trust in Him learn to pry our hands off of the wheel and allow Him to drive, to lead, we will have the Words and the fruit to affect many. This was designed for Him to do through us, as only He touches the heart of man. Think about it Ronald David Bruno, The Lord told us not to worry about what we would say when brought before authoritys. He said, The Holy Spirit would give us what to speak in that very hour. So it is with bearing witness for The Lord. The Lord is faithful to provide what we need and what they need to hear. The only preparation is to be clean(repented up), and believe(have faith) that He will provide, and He does. It has been said, that when I Am lifted up I will gives Gifts unto man. Today I bear witness that He is that Gift and we are the vessels in the same way that He is The Vine(Vinedresser) and we are the branches.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If Evangelism is a gift, then it is given to those special people who are called to be evangelists. The rest of us can evangelise in our little circles but not so many of us are going to bring people to Christ although we can, and do sow seeds which in turn will be fed and watered and grow.

My own childhood decision was through a Canadian Woman evangelist who came to a certain mission church in my town every year with a ministry to children. It was absolutely wonderful and grabbed me like nothing else eve had even though I was sent to Church of England Sunday school every week. That lady had a true gift.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Something you might try, is to not try that again....

Instead ask God to open a door into this woman's hearing, so that she would ask you.
This way you know it's God., as "faith comes by hearing".

Also. everyone has problems.
Everyone is suffering, everyone is facing something they dont want to face, or will soon, again.
This world does not let you out of it alive, and its a Thorn all the way to the end.
Everyone is Thorn'd.

Sometimes the way to bypass all the standard resistance that God haters and Christ rejectors are manifesting, is not to talk to them about it..
Instead, ask them if you can pray for them.
Unbelievers are afraid of God because they believe He is angry with them.
Often they really believe that "Christianity is a crutch" and "if you could deal with life you would not run to Jesus"..

Really successful "Lost" people have that mind, most of the time.

See they dont understand at all, that God is wanting a eternal LOVE relationship with them.
Often they think that "God wants me broke", "a slave to some church" and "wont let me have any more fun".
Even some believers believe that nonsense.

So, all of those mindsets, sometimes can be bypassed, if you just offer to pray for someone... Reader.
And when you do that, they will perceive God as caring, because you are caring for them.
And "all need love".
So, if we offer to pray, then that puts a new light on it, for them....and that can help them find more light.

If that happens, then keep the prayer simple... pray for what they say they are struggling with...

"my teenager is on drugs".
"my husband is unfaithful"
"i need a job"

Whatever it is, pray for that.. and ask God to help them..... and then say... ""And Father, let them know that you love them so much, that Jesus died for them on THE CROSS to prove it"... "amen".

Always put "the Cross" in there, because "the preaching of the Cross is the POWER of GOD... unto Salvation" = Theirs, ours.

And thats it.
Leave it there.
Why?
Because you planted a seed in their heart and God's Spirit water's those seeds.
He really does.

See, its our part to share God's Love, 2 Corinthians 5:19 as the Cross, but the rest is God's responsibility.
We can't save anyone, .. we can only lead them there.
God is the Savior, and Christ is the Way.
We're just the messenger and we have the good news.
We have HOPE to give, and they have none.
Really good advice. I have prayed for this woman ... but you can tell where a person's door is open and when it is shut. However, a gifted person has better antennas than I do. Reminds me of my Mom, rebellious up to a few days before death. Lot's of folk are bankrupt when they are about to die. She won't be able to sit on her $1.2 million anymore.
My brother is the same way, rich, self sufficient, in no need for God ... until their life is on the line and money means nothing.
It's easier for a camel to enter into the eye of a needle than It is for a rich man ti enter I to the kingdom of heaven.

Reactions: amigo de christo

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Ronald, Yes, To me you was just showing your love, I wondered what Jesus meant for a long time when He said: Take my yoke upon you and learn of me, and to deny oneself.

Last edited:

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really good advice. I have prayed for this woman ... but you can tell where a person's door is open and when it is shut. However, a gifted person has better antennas than I do.

Yes.... it's easy to tell when someone isn't listening.

Two antenna's got married. The wedding itself wasn't really anything special, but the reception was incredible.

• Haha
Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Debp

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really good advice. I have prayed for this woman ... but you can tell where a person's door is open and when it is shut. However, a gifted person has better antennas than I do. Reminds me of my Mom, rebellious up to a few days before death. Lot's of folk are bankrupt when they are about to die. She won't be able to sit on her $1.2 million anymore.
My brother is the same way, rich, self sufficient, in no need for God ... until their life is on the line and money means nothing.
It's easier for a camel to enter into the eye of a needle than It is for a rich man ti enter I to the kingdom of heaven.
You need to remember to ask the Lord for you to be more loving.
This looks more like a "love thy neighbor" problem than not having the gift of evangelism.
We all fall here--get frustrated with others, but we are commanded to love each other. That is a superhuman effort that requires the help of the Lord. Tell Him you are having problems and you need help to love, and then pray for your neighbor.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

she does have nothing . Unless one has the LORD even what they have is VAINITY of winds . POINT TO JESUS CHRIST till the last breath .
THE PART you could have left out is the POLITICAL PART . if anything .

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
she does have nothing . Unless one has the LORD even what they have is VAINITY of winds . POINT TO JESUS CHRIST till the last breath .
THE PART you could have left out is the POLITICAL PART . if anything .
Right, the bottom line is without God, life is vanity of vanities and chasing after the wind. Unbelievers have nothing. And that is blunt jump to that conclusion - it's always been fault of mine, being blunt.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

At least you're honest, Ron. Nice to see you, by the way.

I've been to many funerals where I met people I knew for the first time. I mean, the people who had died were practically strangers to me and I thought I knew them.

We had a man who was a deacon at my church and my kids and I spent a lot of time with him. He was a youth leader, very quiet and unassuming; just as polite and friendly as you could imagine. Spoke up in study classes once in a while, saying very sound and practical things. He was also a dentist. Then, suddenly, he had an aneurysm and died at 49. He had been in the early stages of Parkinson's but wasn't expected to die any time soon.

His funeral was not at our church. This struck me as odd until I got to the church at which he was memorialized. It was huge. There were hundreds of people there. The affair lasted for several hours with people giving eulogies from all over the world. Come to find out, he had touched more lives than any of us could have imagined, especially in the community.

It kind of reminded me of that thing people say about how you won't know what good you've done until you get to heaven and see everyone who was saved partly because of something you did or said.

You're a good fella, Ron. And evangelism isn't like a car deal. Not everybody's a "closer."

Happy New Year, My Friend. :hearteyes:

• Love
Reactions: L.A.M.B. and Debp

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What you did (said) reinforced every negative stereotype and at the same time it obliterated any testimony you might have once had.

You should admit you were wrong, humble yourself and go apologize.
You think I should apologize to her. I am a forgiving person, it's just that she needed a rebuke. You know how heated disbutes go, people cool off and later make amends. I can, but I am also okay with dusting the dirt off my sandals and moving on. She bashes Christianity and our " white god" she calls him. It is so revolting and you don't know how many times I just held my tongue and took the blows. And so I let her have it!
My whole point was that I am not an evangelist, no godly finesse, no calling, no Holy Spirit nudging me. I actually have even waiting for that prayer to be answered, that the Holy Spirit would intervene...
He hasn't.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At least you're honest, Ron. Nice to see you, by the way.

I've been to many funerals where I met people I knew for the first time. I mean, the people who had died were practically strangers to me and I thought I knew them.

We had a man who was a deacon at my church and my kids and I spent a lot of time with him. He was a youth leader, very quiet and unassuming; just as polite and friendly as you could imagine. Spoke up in study classes once in a while, saying very sound and practical things. He was also a dentist. Then, suddenly, he had an aneurysm and died at 49. He had been in the early stages of Parkinson's but wasn't expected to die any time soon.

His funeral was not at our church. This struck me as odd until I got to the church at which he was memorialized. It was huge. There were hundreds of people there. The affair lasted for several hours with people giving eulogies from all over the world. Come to find out, he had touched more lives than any of us could have imagined, especially in the community.

It kind of reminded me of that thing people say about how you won't know what good you've done until you get to heaven and see everyone who was saved partly because of something you did or said.

You're a good fella, Ron. And evangelism isn't like a car deal. Not everybody's a "closer."

Happy New Year, My Friend. :hearteyes:

Hi BarneyFife,
It's always good to read your well thought out responses, kind and considerate. Thanks for your words. The Bible says more wisdom is gained from funerals than weddings. When we sit there and contemplate death, then we think of the meaning and value of life. It amazes me how many people attend the funerals of some of these famous people and how many lives they've touched. I doubt mine will be too big. It's okay, not everyone is purposed to do great things.
Happy New Year, Friend

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think I should apologize to her. I am a forgiving person, it's just that she needed a rebuke. You know how heated disbutes go, people cool off and later make amends. I can, but I am also okay with dusting the dirt off my sandals and moving on. She bashes Christianity and our " white god" she calls him. It is so revolting and you don't know how many times I just held my tongue and took the blows. And so I let her have it!
My whole point was that I am not an evangelist, no godly finesse, no calling, no Holy Spirit nudging me. I actually have even waiting for that prayer to be answered, that the Holy Spirit would intervene...
He hasn't.

These nuanced things don't usually work the same for everyone, but back in "92 I went to weeklong Lay Evangelist Training Seminar and they gave some tips for making evangelism work for your personality type. I tried them all but the only two that worked for me was 1) to pray in a certain way that God would only guide you in the path of people who need to hear about Jesus (this is an oversimplified version of the technique) and 2) never, ever fail to apologize to people you've been unkind to, especially if you think you think you were justified and that they would never accept your apology. This one really works miracles sometimes. I've actually done this one right here on the forum with good results. Go figure. :)

Reactions: Ronald David Bruno

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right, the bottom line is without God, life is vanity of vanities and chasing after the wind. Unbelievers have nothing. And that is blunt jump to that conclusion - it's always been fault of mine, being blunt.
being DIRECT is not a fault . Jesus was very direct as were and was the apostels .
Paul had a false prophet BLINDED . yeah , BLINDED and had calledhim the CHILD OF THE DEVIL .
yes a CHILD of the DEVIL . being direct is not wrong . save them through compassion or fear .
But being grave and direct IS NOT WRONG . being sarchastic might be , but being honest IS NOT .
What did peter tell simeon , when simeon was in error for thinking the gift of GOD could be purchased with money .
Did he say, OH SIMEONE , GOD IS LOVE , GOD is LOVE my friend , here have a cup of tea with me ,
GOD understands we all make mistakes . OR , DID HE SAY SOMETHING ELSE that ACTUALLY put the FEAR OF GOD
RIGHT INTO SIMEONE so as simeon QUICKLY IN TOTAL FEAR REPENTED . yeah , this church age NEEDS to be face first in
that bible again and then STAY IN IT . Be encouraged my friend.