The Gift of Tongues: its General Availability, Purpose, and Power

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

why are you in vain babbling? you cannot tell the TRUTH. you said you stop cussing, and fussing. well have you stop lying?

now if you're a new man you will not LIE, for Proverbs 6:16 "These six [things] doth the LORD hate: yea, seven [are] an abomination unto him:
Proverbs 6:17 "A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood.

now can we get the TRUTH here? is the Person, the Word in John 1:3 the same person in Isaiah 44:24 YES or NO?

PICJAG.
When the AOG no longer calls you a heretic, I might trust that you can understand basic truths. But not until.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
so you cannot answer a simple question. only a yes or no was sufficent and you can't do that

this tells me you do not speak wit a new tongue, you cannot tell the truth.

so your answer you gave as a new man with a new tongue to tell the truth is what God say in Proverb 6:17.

and two a new tongue is a REVELATION tongue. which is the tongue of God, "WISDOM", for wisdom tells the truth, and lie not, a new tongue reveals mysteries, because youhave never heard of these "NEW" things. yes a new man should speak new thing that has not yet been revealed. for old thing are passed behold all things are become new.

so you speak without a new tongue.

PICJAG.

D

Dave L

so you cannot answer a simple question. only a yes or no was sufficent and you can't do that

this tells me you do not speak wit a new tongue, you cannot tell the truth.

so your answer you gave as a new man with a new tongue to tell the truth is what God say in Proverb 6:17.

and two a new tongue is a REVELATION tongue. which is the tongue of God, "WISDOM", for wisdom tells the truth, and lie not, a new tongue reveals mysteries, because youhave never heard of these "NEW" things. yes a new man should speak new thing that has not yet been revealed. for old thing are passed behold all things are become new.

so you speak without a new tongue.

PICJAG.
Why would I be foolish enough to argue with a heretic when they obviously cannot grasp truth. I agree with the AOG in this matter and let them make the call about your heresy.

D

Dave L

Well ok so try it for yourself and see how closer it brings you to God.
How do you know you're not cussing God out? And the release in stress makes you euphoric as "tongue speaking" does even in voodoo cultures? Original tongue speakers knew what they were saying.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I’m not really sure what that means
Really??? It means try praying in tongues in your own prayer time and feel how much closer it brings you to God. Whet is there to not understand?

Of course there are many people who are Christians who do not think they have the gift of tongues but that is different from those who decry it as no longer valid.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would I be foolish enough to argue with a heretic when they obviously cannot grasp truth. I agree with the AOG in this matter and let them make the call about your heresy.
who's arguing? a christian should be ready to give an answer, let your yea be yea and your nay be nay. in season and out, preach. 2 Timothy 4:2 "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

so why argue? just tell the truth?

PICJAG.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It us useless to try to share Scripture with Dave because he neatly fits the first and 2nd church's criterion for blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, and so, his heart is now hardened to the Spirit's promptings. This is most clearly evident in his desperate reaction to biblically grounded refutations of his anti-tongues position. He knows neither Greek nor the culture of the NT era. Yet he is unwilling to address academic commentaries on Acts and 1 Corinthians because they decisively refute him. Nor will he watch posted videos that he fears dispatch his position and biases. In short, he is a hopelessly intellectually dishonest believer who must resort to the desperate expedient of repeatedly reasserting his position with no evidence and no willingness to engage in exegetical discussion of relevant texts.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really??? It means try praying in tongues in your own prayer time and feel how much closer it brings you to God. Whet is there to not understand?

Of course there are many people who are Christians who do not think they have the gift of tongues but that is different from those who decry it as no longer valid.
Ok......so, the hundred million dollar question, are the gifts of the Holy Spirit, for self edification?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok......so, the hundred million dollar question, are the gifts of the Holy Spirit, for self edification?

That is a bit like saying ...If a person spends time before the Lord, is he edified?
Anytime spent with the Lord, allowing Him to flow through us is building us up in our holy faith.

1 Cor 14:3
"But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

Anything , where God touches us, is faith building.

Time with God is well spent compared to time with the our TV or even time on this Site :)

Reactions: amadeus

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a bit like saying ...If a person spends time before the Lord, is he edified?
Anytime spent with the Lord, allowing Him to flow through us is building us up in our holy faith.

1 Cor 14:3
"But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

Anything , where God touches us, is faith building.

Time with God is well spent compared to time with the our TV or even time on this Site :)
I’ll have to do some study to see if I can find some supporting scripture, of God telling me to build myself up.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe there to be four basic manifestations of the gift of tongues.
  • Tongues for personal edification. (1 Corinthians 14:4) This is the supernatural language the Holy Spirit prays through us that we can use to pray hour after hour if we desire. It often accompanies the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
  • Tongues which require an interpretation. (1 Corinthians 14:5) This manifestation of tongues is normally presented in a public assembly accompanied by an interpretation by the same or another person. (1 Corinthians 12:10 1 Corinthians 14:26)
  • Tongues of deep intercessional groaning. (Romans 8:26) This diversification of tongues empowers the believers to stand in the gap for their own lives, their families, their church, their city, their nation etc. God may also call on them to intercede for someone or for some situation that is totally unknown.
  • Tongues as a sign to unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 14:22) This is the phenomenon that took place on the day of Pentecost. (Acts2:4-11) It occurs when the Holy Spirit transcends the intellect and all language barriers by empowering a believer to preach, teach or testify about Christ in some language of man of which the believer himself has no knowledge.
I have also found that singing in tongues to praise and worship is another lovely way we can use the gift .

And praying in tongues silently either in support of another person who is ‘ministering’ or in a public place is another way of using this gift.

I have come under fire on some Christian sites for expressing these views but I firmly believe them.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

who's arguing? a christian should be ready to give an answer, let your yea be yea and your nay be nay. in season and out, preach. 2 Timothy 4:2 "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

so why argue? just tell the truth?

PICJAG.
We are to shun heretics after the second or third admonition. And you are a heretic not only according to scripture, but to the AOG who kicked you out of their Church en masse as heretics in the 1900s.

D

Dave L

Your "tongues" cannot pass the test of scripture. Those who experienced the gift in the early second century condemned the Montanists as heretics for claiming the same gifts Pentecostals today claim. They knew what the originals were and that the Montanists did not have them.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Your "tongues" cannot pass the test of scripture. Those who experienced the gift in the early second century condemned the Montanists as heretics for claiming the same gifts Pentecostals today claim. They knew what the originals were and that the Montanists did not have them.

Get off her case. She is a friend of mine, and not as thick skinned as me.
Your posts are depressing Dave. You cannot take away from her experience, any more than you can from mine.

My sheep hear MY Voice. And , your does not sound bit like His.

Harass me, but leave her alone..

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your posts are depressing Dave. You cannot take away from her experience, any more than you can from mine.

Ahaha...my heroine!!! Tough as nails and kind and gentle as can be ♥ !

Reactions: amadeus and Pearl
D

Dave L

Is Jesus and truth your friend? He's my best friend.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe there to be four basic manifestations of the gift of tongues.
  • Tongues for personal edification. (1 Corinthians 14:4) This is the supernatural language the Holy Spirit prays through us that we can use to pray hour after hour if we desire. It often accompanies the baptism of the Holy Spirit.
  • Tongues which require an interpretation. (1 Corinthians 14:5) This manifestation of tongues is normally presented in a public assembly accompanied by an interpretation by the same or another person. (1 Corinthians 12:10 1 Corinthians 14:26)
  • Tongues of deep intercessional groaning. (Romans 8:26) This diversification of tongues empowers the believers to stand in the gap for their own lives, their families, their church, their city, their nation etc. God may also call on them to intercede for someone or for some situation that is totally unknown.
  • Tongues as a sign to unbelievers. (1 Corinthians 14:22) This is the phenomenon that took place on the day of Pentecost. (Acts2:4-11) It occurs when the Holy Spirit transcends the intellect and all language barriers by empowering a believer to preach, teach or testify about Christ in some language of man of which the believer himself has no knowledge.
I have also found that singing in tongues to praise and worship is another lovely way we can use the gift .

And praying in tongues silently either in support of another person who is ‘ministering’ or in a public place is another way of using this gift.

I have come under fire on some Christian sites for expressing these views but I firmly believe them.
Very good! I also firmly believe in such a diversity of tongues.

Reactions: Helen