The golden calf and the Trinity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How do we discern, if somebody is quoting (copying and pasting) scripture, say on a forum?
Very often people will quote one scripture, sometimes out of context. When I was young, I set myself a task of studying various themes like faith, strong drink etc, I cannot remember now, and I found the Thompson Study Bible invaluable, it has all the subjects and all the relevant scriptures on that particular theme. I used to look them all up and write the various scriptures on that particular subject out longhand. This is like 55 or more years ago.

Now I have a computer, I downloaded a free program called esword, and on there are many free Bible translation and Bible commentaries. So now if a person quotes a verse or passage of scripture I can look it up and check out what that particular person is saying and compare it with the commentators, looking up two or three to make sure I have a good understanding. That way I can compare what the poster is saying with what the commentators and the Bible says. Good luck and God bless.

Last edited:
Reactions: theophilus

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So tell me why the supreme, transcendent, omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent, creator God cannot come amongst his own in the image of man. Or is this supreme being of yours who created all thing, incapable of doing that?
Don't get childish. The transcendent God cannot become non-transcendent. The omnipresent God, cannot become non-omnipresent. The immaterial and immortal God cannot become corporeal nor corruptible. Were you unaware?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't get childish. The transcendent God cannot become non-transcendent. The omnipresent God, cannot become non-omnipresent. The immaterial and immortal God cannot become corporeal nor corruptible. Were you unaware?
we must disagree with that assessment you made, and here's why. "The omnipresent God, cannot become non-omnipresent." supportive scripture, Philippians 2:7 "But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"

God and only God can make himself null and void, and still be omnipresent. for the words, "no reputation" is the Greek term,
G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') v.
1. to make empty.
2. (figuratively) to abase, neutralize, falsify.
[from G2756]
KJV: make (of none effect, of no reputation, void), be in vain
Root(s): G2756

This is what the Lord JESUS was saying why, ""even equal with God (IN NATURE), per Phil 2:6), yet the Spirit was greater. while he was in Intrinsic Spatial, here on earth, meaning in a body, he limited himself in time and space. by making himself G2758 κενόω kenoo. yes, he became non-omnipresent while in that body of flesh in a diverfified stated or the sharing of himself in that body of flesh and blood. but many have not the knowledgeof how he can be in one place, (IN A BODY), and yet in Spirit be everyhere. this is bored out in John 3:13 "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." he was in heaven at the very same time speaking to Nicodemus on earth. see his body was on earth, and his "diversified"/Shared Spirit was still omnipresent in heaven and earth. notice what the Lord Jesus said, "the Son of Man".... not the Son of God.. was in heaven at that very instance. (smile).

the problem is this, many don't know, nor understand the difference between the Son of Man, (spirit), and the son of God, (Flesh/Body). when one learn the difference then one can understand how God operates.

PICJAG.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
we must disagree with that assessment you made, and here's why. "The omnipresent God, cannot become non-omnipresent." supportive scripture, Philippians 2:7 "But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"

God and only God can make himself null and void, and still be omnipresent. for the words, "no reputation" is the Greek term,
G2758 κενόω kenoo (ke-no-ō') v.
1. to make empty.
2. (figuratively) to abase, neutralize, falsify.
[from G2756]
KJV: make (of none effect, of no reputation, void), be in vain
Root(s): G2756

This is what the Lord JESUS was saying why, ""even equal with God (IN NATURE), per Phil 2:6), yet the Spirit was greater. while he was in Intrinsic Spatial, here on earth, meaning in a body, he limited himself in time and space. by making himself G2758 κενόω kenoo. yes, he became non-omnipresent while in that body of flesh in a diverfified stated or the sharing of himself in that body of flesh and blood. but many have not the knowledgeof how he can be in one place, (IN A BODY), and yet in Spirit be everyhere. this is bored out in John 3:13 "And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven." he was in heaven at the very same time speaking to Nicodemus on earth. see his body was on earth, and his "diversified"/Shared Spirit was still omnipresent in heaven and earth. notice what the Lord Jesus said, "the Son of Man".... not the Son of God.. was in heaven at that very instance. (smile).

the problem is this, many don't know, nor understand the difference between the Son of Man, (spirit), and the son of God, (Flesh/Body). when one learn the difference then one can understand how God operates.

PICJAG.
Sorry 101G, you are assuming that Jesus is God in Philippians 2:7. Therefore, you are employing circular reasoning.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry 101G, you are assuming that Jesus is God in Philippians 2:7. Therefore, you are employing circular reasoning.
ERROR, for Phil 2:6 support that Jesus is God, try again.

PICJAG

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ERROR, for Phil 2:6 support that Jesus is God, try again.

PICJAG
I just posted this elsewhere...

If Christ were God, then equality would be something to be grasped. Plus, if the Father, Son & Holy Spirit orchestrated man's redemption, then the Son, who came to earth, would never in a million years have those thoughts running through his head i.e. undermining his own efforts to save mankind. These are clearly the sentiments of a 1st century man, who read the Scriptures and understood his ordained pre-eminence as the Messiah, to be seated at the right-hand of God. And with this awareness, he did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but abased himself according to the Father's will, in order to serve man and die for his sins.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you speak to me again like that, you will go straight on ignore, I am neither childish or unaware.

The point is God can do all things and that means he can come among us in whatever form is appropriate to His designed plan.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If Christ were God, then equality would be something to be grasped. Plus, if the Father, Son & Holy Spirit orchestrated man's redemption, then the Son, who came to earth, would never in a million years have those thoughts running through his head i.e. undermining his own efforts to save mankind. These are clearly the sentiments of a 1st century man, who read the Scriptures and understood his ordained pre-eminence as the Messiah, to be seated at the right-hand of God. And with this awareness, he did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but abased himself according to the Father's will, in order to serve man and die for his sins.
Error, man Made philosophy. listen to scripture, Philippians 2:6 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:"
Philippians 2:7 "But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"

now DNB what was Jesus the Christ before he took on Flesh... your answer please.

PICJAG.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

There is so much wrong with that. Even on a human level people will make tremendous sacrifice for their children.

Secondly it was only while being among us that he humbled himself in the flesh, while remaining God in his spiritual realm on earth, and that for 33 years only, not even a blink of an eye in all eternity, the habitation of the Alpha and Omega, namely Jesus.

Last edited:
Reactions: theophilus and 101G

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you speak to me again like that, you will go straight on ignore, I am neither childish or unaware.

The point is God can do all things and that means he can come among us in whatever form is appropriate to His designed plan.
His plan does not require that He defies his intrinsically divine attributes. I said childish, because you are making absurd claims, without having a fundamentally plausible comprehension of these things. You cannot make affirmations about God that make no sense, and then state that you've divided His Word correctly. The two notions are not compatible. You're being frivolous, I believe.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Error, man Made philosophy. listen to scripture, Philippians 2:6 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:"
Philippians 2:7 "But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:"

now DNB what was Jesus the Christ before he took on Flesh... your answer please.

PICJAG.
Nothing but a thought in God's mind. First-born of creation in principle, not in chronology.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is so much wrong with that. Even on a human level people will make tremendous sacrifice for their children.

Secondly it was only while being among us that he humbled himself in the flesh, while remaining God in his spiritual realm on earth, and that for 33 years only, not even a blink of an eye in all eternity, the habitation of the Alpha and Omega, namely Jesus.
I'm saying that the pericope as a whole, does not support that type of exegesis, for the reasons that I explained. No one devises a plan, then during execution, contemplates an action that would undermine the objective. Do you understand that?

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He is omniscient...He can become anything He wants-even a little lower than the angels

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I'm saying that the pericope as a whole, does not support that type of exegesis, for the reasons that I explained. No one devises a plan, then during execution, contemplates an action that would undermine the objective. Do you understand that?
It was Gods plan of salvation from the beginning. You think what you like.

Reactions: 2 Chr. 34:19

theophilus

Nov 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm strictly focused on the Exodus account. Did you get the Trinity from the passage or did you bring it with you?
(By the way, I am not arguing against the Trinity. We are simply asking about this particular passage.)
I got the idea of the Trinity from the Bible. I noticed the use of the plural regarding the calf and the fact that Aaron proclaimed a feast to the LORD and realized that this was speaking about the Trnity.

first thanks for the reply, second, if there are three persons, then reconcicle John 1:3 and Isaiah 44:24 as to WHO "MADE ALL THINGS". is this the same one person, or is this two separate persons as you claim?

I have had a few and only a few people who answerd that question correctly. the rest was deceivers, and bare false witness aganist themselves.

so theophilus in John 1:3 and isaiah 44:24 is it one or two separate persons? who mad all things.

PICJAG
Each verse is describing the part that a different member of the Trinity played in creation. They both speak of the same God but of two different persons within the Godhead.

We know the LORD requires the sacrifice of the heart, and so we give ourselves to Him and don't make burnt offerings, a simple example but majoring on the wrong verses spells disaster for the individual. It is up to us to be diligent in our study, by which means we put on the whole armour of God.
The explanation for the contradictions you cited is found in 1 Samuel 15:22,

Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
as in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
and to listen than the fat of rams.

God wants us to obey so we won't need to offer sacrifices, but when we disobey his justice and holiness require that we offer sacrifices to atone for our sins. The animal sacrifices were pictures of the sacrifice Jesus would make for out sins, so they are no longer needed.

Since Christ is God he already has equality with the Father so he had no need to grasp it.

Reactions: Candidus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing but a thought in God's mind. First-born of creation in principle, not in chronology.
as I said before, "thoughts" don't eat drink, and go to sleep. so nope on that.

PICJAG.