The good man that turned bad out of necessity

  • Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

    You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nathaniel

Active Member
Sep 6, 2026
123
130
43
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I corrected him as soon as I saw that post.
Wonderful, great job. Since we are having this conversation anyway. May I refer you to post #1666, a very fitting number I might add, in the thread "What books are you reading." You were shocked by my reply, but not until this evening, and that exchange was a ways back. I reported the comment at the time, nothing happened. I'm curious as to what you thought of the comment which I responded to, it was actually right there in the comment that you thought was such a WOW
 

Debp

Mod - Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jul 5, 2020
14,441
17,247
113
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Seriously?
Sir, I fart in your general direction.
Have a nice day.
Your above comment was the one to which I gave a wow emoji.

@Jay Ross 's comment sounded sensible. If you reported it and it still remains, the administrator or moderator saw no problem with what he said. Following is Jay Ross's statement:

"Sounds like the Bible is not opened at all unless you are relying upon the "scriptures" used in the two books that you have opened to justify a particular thrust of understanding."


Wonderful, great job. Since we are having this conversation anyway. May I refer you to post #1666, a very fitting number I might add, in the thread "What books are you reading." You were shocked by my reply, but not until this evening, and that exchange was a ways back. I reported the comment at the time, nothing happened. I'm curious as to what you thought of the comment which I responded to, it was actually right there in the comment that you thought was such a WOW
 

Nathaniel

Active Member
Sep 6, 2026
123
130
43
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Your above comment was the one to which I gave a wow emoji.

@Jay Ross 's comment sounded sensible. If you reported it and it still remains, the administrator or moderator saw no problem with what he said. Following is Jay Ross's statement:

"Sounds like the Bible is not opened at all unless you are relying upon the "scriptures" used in the two books that you have opened to justify a particular thrust of understanding."
So let me make sure that I have this correct. I don't want there to be any misunderstandings concerning what moderators in this forum consider sensible Christlike commentary.

A new member (me) comes into your community, he responds to a thread that asks "what books you are reading?" He lists two books and another that he plans to read again soon. These are Christian books, written by highly esteemed Christian authors.

And then one of your long time members decides to respond to this new member. There is no "hello, welcome to the forum", "God bless you, glad you are here", "Hi Nate, my name is Jay", and no previous interactions at all between this long time member and myself.

But instead, he says this:

"Sounds like the Bible is not opened at all unless you are relying upon the "scriptures" used in the two books that you have opened to justify a particular thrust of understanding."

He first presumes and accuses me of never opening my bible.
"Sounds like the Bible is not opened at all.."

This is someone who has never met me in this forum before, or said a single word to me. Mind you, this is only my 6th or 7th post since joining your little club.

But it gets better.
"...unless you are relying upon the "scriptures" used in the two books that you have opened..."

What does this even mean? It's such a poorly constructed sentence that I have difficulty following along. "Scriptures" is in quotations. Does he presume that the scriptures quoted in the books I'm reading are not reliable? Or is he suggesting that since my bible is never opened, that the only place I would encounter the word of God would be in some extra biblical resource?

But wait, there's more.
"..to justify a particular thrust of understanding."

So apparently, I don't read my Bible.
I only read books other than the bible.
The books that I read other than the bible are somehow less than "scriptural".
And the only reason I read these books is to justify some preconceived narrative or agenda not supported by the scriptures themselves, which I apparently never read.

And this comment, this unkind, presumptuous, baseless attack upon the motives and character of a fellow believer is what you consider sensible here at Christianityboard?
 

Matthias

Well-Known Member
May 3, 2022
36,221
25,823
113
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Gender
Male
So let me make sure that I have this correct. I don't want there to be any misunderstandings concerning what moderators in this forum consider sensible Christlike commentary.

A new member (me) comes into your community, he responds to a thread that asks "what books you are reading?" He lists two books and another that he plans to read again soon. These are Christian books, written by highly esteemed Christian authors.

And then one of your long time members decides to respond to this new member. There is no "hello, welcome to the forum", "God bless you, glad you are here", "Hi Nate, my name is Jay", and no previous interactions at all between this long time member and myself.

But instead, he says this:

"Sounds like the Bible is not opened at all unless you are relying upon the "scriptures" used in the two books that you have opened to justify a particular thrust of understanding."

He first presumes and accuses me of never opening my bible.
"Sounds like the Bible is not opened at all.."

This is someone who has never met me in this forum before, or said a single word to me. Mind you, this is only my 6th or 7th post since joining your little club.

But it gets better.
"...unless you are relying upon the "scriptures" used in the two books that you have opened..."

What does this even mean? It's such a poorly constructed sentence that I have difficulty following along. "Scriptures" is in quotations. Does he presume that the scriptures quoted in the books I'm reading are not reliable? Or is he suggesting that since my bible is never opened, that the only place I would encounter the word of God would be in some extra biblical resource?

But wait, there's more.
"..to justify a particular thrust of understanding."

So apparently, I don't read my Bible.
I only read books other than the bible.
The books that I read other than the bible are somehow less than "scriptural".
And the only reason I read these books is to justify some preconceived narrative or agenda not supported by the scriptures themselves, which I apparently never read.

And this comment, this unkind, presumptuous, baseless attack upon the motives and character of a fellow believer is what you consider sensible here at Christianityboard?

I haven’t known you for very long but my first impression of you was that you’re a regular reader of the Bible. You haven’t said anything that has caused me to change that impression. We may not always see things the same way but I’m glad you’re here.
 

Nathaniel

Active Member
Sep 6, 2026
123
130
43
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I haven’t known you for very long but my first impression of you was that you’re a regular reader of the Bible. You haven’t said anything that has caused me to change that impression. We may not always see things the same way but I’m glad you’re here.
Thank you Matthias, I feel the same about you brother. If it were not for brothers such as yourself and a couple others, this place would be unbearable.

But alas, it matters not. I have been threatening to get rid of this smart phone for a while now. My service ends today, and when it does I will be activating a little dumb phone instead. In a few months or so I may get a tablet, but probably not.

It has been a pleasure talking with you and answering your questions.
I like your posts. Take care and be blessed.
 

Matthias

Well-Known Member
May 3, 2022
36,221
25,823
113
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Gender
Male
“The passage in Romans 5 [verses 8 and 10] stresses that people usually will not die for their enemies. But the text raises a question. Do we really believe in our hearts that God had forgiven us while we were still enemies of God and the Jesus way? If so, we will joyously be about loving our enemies, whether or not we think they are deserving of our love. If we are reconciled to God, we will become ministers of reconciliation.”

(Dale W. Brown, Biblical Pacifism, p. 146)

What is the “Jesus way”?
 

Matthias

Well-Known Member
May 3, 2022
36,221
25,823
113
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Gender
Male
“Peace is a central theme in the biblical narrative and is often depicted as a hallmark of God’s Kingdom. The concept of peace in the Bible transcends mere absence of conflict; it encompasses a holistic sense of well-being, harmony, and reconciliation with God and others. …

Peace, as a marker of God’s Kingdom, is a profound and multifaceted concept in the Bible. It is both a present reality and a future hope, rooted in the person and work of Jesus Christ. As believers live out this peace, they bear witness to the transformative power of God’s Kingdom in the world.”

(“Peace as a Marker of God’s Kingdom”)

https://biblehub.com/topical/p/peace_as_a_marker_of_god's_kingdom.htm
 

Debp

Mod - Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jul 5, 2020
14,441
17,247
113
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
So let me make sure that I have this correct. I don't want there to be any misunderstandings concerning what moderators in this forum consider sensible Christlike commentary.

A new member (me) comes into your community, he responds to a thread that asks "what books you are reading?" He lists two books and another that he plans to read again soon. These are Christian books, written by highly esteemed Christian authors.

And then one of your long time members decides to respond to this new member. There is no "hello, welcome to the forum", "God bless you, glad you are here", "Hi Nate, my name is Jay", and no previous interactions at all between this long time member and myself.

But instead, he says this:

"Sounds like the Bible is not opened at all unless you are relying upon the "scriptures" used in the two books that you have opened to justify a particular thrust of understanding."

He first presumes and accuses me of never opening my bible.
"Sounds like the Bible is not opened at all.."

This is someone who has never met me in this forum before, or said a single word to me. Mind you, this is only my 6th or 7th post since joining your little club.

But it gets better.
"...unless you are relying upon the "scriptures" used in the two books that you have opened..."

What does this even mean? It's such a poorly constructed sentence that I have difficulty following along. "Scriptures" is in quotations. Does he presume that the scriptures quoted in the books I'm reading are not reliable? Or is he suggesting that since my bible is never opened, that the only place I would encounter the word of God would be in some extra biblical resource?

But wait, there's more.
"..to justify a particular thrust of understanding."

So apparently, I don't read my Bible.
I only read books other than the bible.
The books that I read other than the bible are somehow less than "scriptural".
And the only reason I read these books is to justify some preconceived narrative or agenda not supported by the scriptures themselves, which I apparently never read.

And this comment, this unkind, presumptuous, baseless attack upon the motives and character of a fellow believer is what you consider sensible here at Christianityboard?

Are you willing to forgive @Jay Ross for what you perceive to be an offense against yourself?
 

Nathaniel

Active Member
Sep 6, 2026
123
130
43
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
Are you willing to forgive @Jay Ross for what you perceive to be an offense against yourself?
I've already forgiven him, and ignored him. And it wasn't perceived, it was an actual offense. But it wasn't against me. That's the point.
And much worse is said around here that goes completely ignored by the staff. Or perhaps the staff is ill equipped to deal with it.
I would think that we would first be seeking to love one another in these forums, and secondly to shine the light of Christ for those lost souls seeking to find their way home.
How many true seekers arrive here looking for love and comfort, hope and redemption, only to spend 10 minutes in one of the threads and leave, never to return? And who could blame them?
 

Debp

Mod - Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jul 5, 2020
14,441
17,247
113
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
And much worse is said around here that goes completely ignored by the staff. Or perhaps the staff is ill equipped to deal with it.

This is a busy forum so we can't read everything in all of the various threads. That is why we ask members to report posts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Active Member
Sep 6, 2026
123
130
43
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Male
I haven’t known you for very long but my first impression of you was that you’re a regular reader of the Bible. You haven’t said anything that has caused me to change that impression. We may not always see things the same way but I’m glad you’re here.
You are far too kind. And you probably just missed it, and I'm glad. I may have not said anything that would appear to be out of line on the surface, but by my understanding in the Spirit, I have fallen far below the mark I set for myself, and far far below that of my Father's will.

I've said things on line, to my shame, that would get me slapped on the sidewalk, maybe in church, but in here those same words may illicit a wow, but the next thread over someone else is saying something even more ridiculous and outrageous. It's hard not to notice and it's hard not to react, even if just internally. I've survived (and caused) a ton of emotional negativity in my lifetime. It's no longer my thing, and hasn't been, all glory to Christ, for some time now.

I really enjoy the fellowship, but such as yourself, I'm a man of peace. So much peace. I love His peace, and His mercy and His loving kindness, and His joy and all that good stuff.

Much love in Christ bro.
God's will and Godspeed!