The Gospel!! What is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe you'll only come to see this once you've worked out that God still has a plan for national Israel. In other words, "dispensationalism". Maybe not in the way your think of it, I don't know. But the thing is . . . God was working a plan with Israel (that involved some gentiles), which He interrupted, and is working a plan with the gentiles (with some Israelites). And that He will return to His plan with Israel at the end of this age.

That God has different plans with different people shouldn't be difficult to accept, given the clear distinctions already seen.

To Adam, the Gospel was, You can eat from every tree but this one.
To Noah, build this ark, and you and your family will be saved.
To Abraham, you will have innumerable descendants.
To Moses, Keep this Law and you will be blessed.

Do you see what I mean?

Much love!
That God has different plans with different people shouldn't be difficult to accept, given the clear distinctions already seen.
I think Randy answered better than I could
The Law all along had only been a temporary fix until Christ could come and provide eternal redemption--not just a temporary fix. To return to the Law, or to a "temporary fix," was repugnant to God and missed the entire purpose of the Law, which was to lead to Eternal Redemption.
Now this is my rendition of his remarks. might not be what he meant but what I understood because of my blinders

From Adam forward God had a plan to redeem man it started with the temporary fix but always pointed to the permanent fix. The permanent fix is found in Acts 2 and I do not see where any scripture says that he is still planning on changing that or has if you show me point blank where Acts 2 is obsolete with the scripture that says that as was with the temporary fix then I can get on board but no one has done that yet.the word is still telling me that the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is where God has chosen to remit sin and give the spirit

Reactions: Randy Kluth

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think Randy answered better than I could

Now this is my rendition of his remarks. might not be what he meant but what I understood because of my blinders

From Adam forward God had a plan to redeem man it started with the temporary fix but always pointed to the permanent fix. The permanent fix is found in Acts 2 and I do not see where any scripture says that he is still planning on changing that or has if you show me point blank where Acts 2 is obsolete with the scripture that says that as was with the temporary fix then I can get on board but no one has done that yet.the word is still telling me that the baptism in the name of Jesus Christ is where God has chosen to remit sin and give the spirit
Thanks. Not having followed your particular argument with Mark I can say that as much as I read here I agree with you, and you say it perfectly well. If brother Mark is saying that in his Dispensationalism the Law of Moses is still at work for the Israeli people, I would strongly dispute that.

As you and I both seem to be saying, every temporary fix leading up to Calvary was meant to *lead up to Calvary.* Christ's death for all of mankind included dying for those under the Law, as well, who under the Law could not obtain Eternal Life by that means. Eternal Life comes only by Jesus Christ.

Temporary blessings under the Law were available up until Christ came to cover not just their need for fellowship with God but also their need for covering their sins. And so, going back to the Law is in effect going back to a system that not only is no longer blessed but is also a blockade to receiving Eternal Life.

God will no longer bless a system that in Israel completely failed by the time of Christ's death. It would be an insult to the Cross to return to the very failure under the Law that put Christ there!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A simple question but does not seem to have a simple answer and we wonder why we are so divided.
When one consciously and freely gives ones life for somebody else, isn't that saying something about their character?
When one does a deal, that is something different altogether.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The other Gospel was a mixture of preaching Christ, as our example, and living by the Law of Moses. Peter and believing Jews had been driven back into a kind of spiritual apartheid, wanting to be separated away from Gentile Christians when fellow believing Jews were present. It wasn't really in Peter's heart to do this--just that he feared the power Jewish tradition had over Jews who had become Christians.

There are only two processes that had been in play in Paul's time.
1) Jews could live under the Law and enjoy a good relationship with God, as long as they obeyed the Law. (This is now outdated.) Or,
2) Jews could abandon the Law and its 613 requirements to live strictly by Christ's example and Spirit.

Paul's argument was that the Law was obsolete, inasmuch as Christ had become the necessary sacrifice for all, since all had sinned, including those under the Law. Remaining under the Law, when Christ had been made available, then become a form of rebellion against God.

The Law all along had only been a temporary fix until Christ could come and provide eternal redemption--not just a temporary fix. To return to the Law, or to a "temporary fix," was repugnant to God and missed the entire purpose of the Law, which was to lead to Eternal Redemption.

Christ himself, therefore, is the Gospel. His life is the example and the source of our own virtue, when we receive this as the truth and obtain God's Spirit as a result. Moral Law just guides us in recognition of the Spirit's voice so that we know we are walking in the example of Christ's love.

The Gospel is our unbridled connection to God, free from all legal restraints, and enduring forever. Christ is the legal basis of our eternal relationship to God. The Gospel is therefore not 600+ rules. Rather, it is God in and with us--an unbroken, eternal relationship between Him and us. The false Gospel is anything that would separate us, including trying to deal with the problem of sin ourselves.

The answer to sin is repentance in Jesus' name, to live by his spiritual life and righteousness, avoiding anything that comes from our own human corruption. Going back to the Law of Moses would be such a corruption since sin has already been dealt with by Christ. There is no longer even a "temporary fix" for sin. The only fix is permanent and it is a permanent relationship with God through Christ. Going back to the Law to deal with sin ourselves is no longer an option given mankind by God. It is now a corrupt human process of trying to deal with sin ourselves.
Well said. I would add that the New Covenant is God's laws written on our conscience (heart). And the gospel is the Spirit of Christ abiding in us and we IN Him. That takes care of lawlessness - sins unto death. Jesus taking away all desire to commit adultery, or murder etc. it is written makes us sinless. It is written that we cannot sin. This does not make up perfect, but as long as we are abiding in Christ, His presence keeps us pure. 1 John 3:1-9.

The other type of sin has to do with the fruit of the Spirit. John 15:1-4 shows that even those fruit are immature and Christ keeps pruning us and working on our fruit, "we are clean (sinless)". This also requires us to abide in Him.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well said. I would add that the New Covenant is God's laws written on our conscience (heart). And the gospel is the Spirit of Christ abiding in us and we IN Him. That takes care of lawlessness - sins unto death. Jesus taking away all desire to commit adultery, or murder etc. it is written makes us sinless. It is written that we cannot sin. This does not make up perfect, but as long as we are abiding in Christ, His presence keeps us pure. 1 John 3:1-9.

The other type of sin has to do with the fruit of the Spirit. John 15:1-4 shows that even those fruit are immature and Christ keeps pruning us and working on our fruit, "we are clean (sinless)". This also requires us to abide in Him.

24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. 3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. 4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
We're in total agreement, sister. Thank you. When Christ's "legal fix" comes to apply in our lives, the Spirit permanently inhabits us, representing Christ himself and his virtues. We exhibit Christ and experience a renewal of our minds such that we want to do good and to please God.

This is the powerful force that Paul speaks of as the antidote to our weak flesh. In our flesh we are tempted to want our own way and to indulge our lusts and wants. But the Spirit within us empowers our spiritual man to live under the inspiration of Christ himself such that it can be said, "It is not I but Christ who lives in me." We don't have these virtues except that Christ has come to live within us through the Spirit of God.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We're in total agreement, sister. Thank you. When Christ's "legal fix" comes to apply in our lives, the Spirit permanently inhabits us, representing Christ himself and his virtues. We exhibit Christ and experience a renewal of our minds such that we want to do good and to please God.

This is the powerful force that Paul speaks of as the antidote to our weak flesh. In our flesh we are tempted to want our own way and to indulge our lusts and wants. But the Spirit within us empowers our spiritual man to live under the inspiration of Christ himself such that it can be said, "It is not I but Christ who lives in me." We don't have these virtues except that Christ has come to live within us through the Spirit of God.
I also believe that because of Adam's sin, he inadvertently gave dominion of the world over to Satan. Jesus destroyed the works of the devil taking the sin inherited from Adam's sin out of what was our "sin" nature (the old man). We are now clean and free from sin as Romans 6:5-7 says, and it is easy to live as Christ did and flee all temptations because we have the mind of Christ 1 Cor. 2:9-16. This clean human nature is why we can now partake of the divine nature of God. 2 Peter 1:2-4

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 10
1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.
2 For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins.
3 But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year.
4 For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.
5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
6 In burnt offerings and sacrifices for sin thou hast had no pleasure.
7 Then said I, Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of me,) to do thy will, O God.
8 Above when he said, Sacrifice and offering and burnt offerings and offering for sin thou wouldest not, neither hadst pleasure therein; which are offered by the law;
9 Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
10 By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
11 And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins:
12 But this man, after he had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of God;
13 From henceforth expecting till his enemies be made his footstool.
14 For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.
15 Whereof the Holy Ghost also is a witness to us: for after that he had said before,
16 This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
17 And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.
18 Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin.
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
20 By a new and living way, which he hath consecrated for us, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh;
21 And having an high priest over the house of God;
22 Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)

Really does this not say that from day one we were looking to the cross and at the cross was the final finished plan? Does it say anywhere that there would be any other way. Does this not describe Acts 2 and Romans 6 Acts 2 was the final for all everyone past Acts 2 had the same entrance there is no other.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The baptism of Ephesians 4:5 is water baptism because water baptism is for everyone who believes. It is for everyone to obey. It is the baptism that Jesus commanded the disciples to practice. It is the baptism that we may preach and command today. Holy Spirit baptism was limited to a few. It cannot be obeyed. It was not commanded to the disciples, and only Jesus administers it.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In 1 Corinthians 1:17, Paul wrote, “For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.” The context in which Paul wrote this statement begins in 1 Corinthians 1:10. Paul had received a report from the church at Corinth that there was division among the church. This division occurred along the lines of the names of the men who were influential in teaching the Christians in Corinth the gospel and quite possibly, baptizing them. The people there were saying that they were followers of the ones who, evidently, had been instrumental in baptizing them. Some were claiming to be followers of Paul; others of Peter; and yet others of Apollos. In verses 13-16 Paul writes, “Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius; Lest any should say that I had baptized in mine own name. And I baptized also the household of Stephanas: besides, I know not whether I baptized any other.” Paul was thankful that he hadn’t baptized more for fear that more would be claiming to be Paulites rather than Christians. In other words, it isn’t the person who baptizes you who counts, it’s the fact that you’ve been baptized into Christ that counts.

This is a charge that gets leveled against many preachers of the gospel, namely, that we teach that one must be baptized by a preacher in order to be baptized properly. Such is not the case. This passage, in fact, teaches just the opposite. Paul says that it really doesn’t matter who baptizes you so long as you believe the gospel before you are baptized. We note that Paul’s statement that Christ sent him not to baptize, didn’t mean that Paul never baptized anyone. If it was the case that Paul wasn’t supposed to baptize anyone, then he wouldn’t have baptized Crispus and Gaius who he directly states in the context that he did indeed baptize. So the passage couldn’t mean that Christ didn’t send Paul to baptize at all.

There is another point in this verse too. The word “baptize” in this verse, may merely mean “to dunk.” That is, Christ didn’t send Paul merely to dunk people in the water (without believing the gospel), but rather, to teach them the gospel and upon their belief of that gospel to baptize them according to Christ’s command in the great commission (Matthew 28:18-20, Mark 16:15,16). So with these two points in mind, we understand that it wasn’t Christ’s will that one be baptized by any special person, nor was it Christ’s will that one be dunked without believing the gospel. For someone to be baptized without believing the gospel or believing that it is the person who is baptizing them that is of significance isn’t to submit to Christian baptism at all. When one does such, one simply gets wet.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Matthew 28:18-20, Jesus commanded the apostles to make disciples of all nations by baptizing them and by teaching them. Disciples are made by baptizing and teaching. So according to this scripture, a person cannot be a disciple until he is baptized. In Mark 16:15, 16, Jesus commanded the apostles to preach the gospel to every creature. Jesus said, “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. He that believeth not shall be condemned.” Notice that it takes both belief and baptism for salvation. In Acts 2:38, the men and women who had crucified Jesus asked what they needed to do be saved, “Men and brethren what shall we do?” Peter responded, “Repent and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins.” Baptism is said here to be “for the remission of your sins.” In Acts 8:36-39, it says that Phillip and the Eunuch both went down into the water and came up out of the water. “And as they went on the way, they came unto a certain water; and the eunuch saith, Behold, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? . . . And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him. And when they came up out of the water . . . .” So, baptism is an immersion in water. In Acts 10:48, Peter commanded Cornelius and his household to be baptized. “And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.” So, baptism is a command. In Acts 22:16, Ananias is telling Saul of Tarsus what he needed to do to be saved. He says, “And now, why tarriest thou, arise and be baptized and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.” Baptism is said here to be for washing away sins. In Romans 6:1-10, Paul is reminding the Christians in Rome what happened after their baptism. He said that baptism is like the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. He says, “we are buried with him by baptism into death that like as Christ was raised up from the dead to the glory of the Father, even so we should also walk in newness of life.” Baptism places us into newness of life just like when Christ was resurrected he had a new life. In Galatians 3:26-29 Paul writes, “For ye are all sons of God, through faith, in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as were baptized into Christ did put on Christ. There can be neither Jew nor Greek, there can be neither bond nor free, there can be no male and female; for ye all are one man in Christ Jesus. And if ye are Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, heirs according to promise.” Baptism puts us in Christ and makes us heirs to the promise. In Colossians 2:11-13 Paul says, “in whom ye were also circumcised with a circumcision not made with hands, in the putting off of the body of the flesh, in the circumcision of Christ; having been buried with him in baptism, wherein ye were also raised with him through faith in the working of God, who raised him from the dead. And you, being dead through your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, you, I say, did he make alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses.” Baptism makes us alive through Christ and gives us the forgiveness of trespasses. In 1 Peter 3:21, Peter says, “which also after a true likeness doth now save you, even baptism, not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the interrogation of a good conscience toward God, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.” Baptism now saves us.

Related

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In what sense will “all Israel” be saved in Romans 11:26? Does this refer to the church and the inclusion of both Jew and Gentile (vs. 25; cf. Acts 15:6-11; Gal. 6:15-16)?

To answer the question, yes, this refers to the salvation that is afforded in Christ, through the church (Ephesians 3:23), but let’s look at Romans 11 further.

In Romans 11, Paul addresses the question that he sets forth in verse 1. “Has God cast away his people?” It was a question that was being asked by some Gentile Christians (vs.13) because Paul was preaching the gospel to them instead of the Jews as was his custom to do after he first approached the Jews with the gospel (cf. Acts 13:46).

One key verse of the passage is in verse 7, “What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded….” Israel, as a nation, had not accepted Jesus as the Messiah. Some, however, did accept Jesus as the Messiah. Those who accepted Him were saved; those who did not fell (vs.11, 12) and through their fall, grace came to the Gentiles.

Does this mean that those that fell cannot be saved? No, in fact, Paul wanted them to be saved. He was preaching to the Gentiles partially to provoke the Jews into accepting salvation (vs.14). Paul illustrates this with the Allegory of the Olive Tree. In this allegory, the branches attached to the tree represent the saved, and the branches broken off, the lost. The Jews are represented as the natural branches, but which had been broken off due to their rejection of the gospel. The Gentiles are represented as those who were grafted in due to their acceptance of the gospel. Toward the end of the allegory, however, Paul discusses those Jews who had first been broken off and what would happen to them if they accepted the gospel. He says, “And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again” (vs.23). Notice, “IF they abide not still in unbelief.” They must become believers to be grafted back into the tree.

Verse 26 of Romans 11 is the conclusion to the allegory. Paul says, “And SO all Israel shall be saved.” Paul doesn’t say, “all Israel shall be saved,” but “SO all Israel shall be saved.” The word “so” is an adverb of manner. It means in such a way, or in such a manner, all Israel shall be saved. The idea is that they will be saved in the same manner in which they are grafted back into the Olive Tree, through belief that Jesus is the Messiah.

The covenant that God has with Israel now is the same that He has with the whole world. It is the covenant in which sins are taken away (vs.27). Hebrews 10:16, 17 explains this: “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.” What is this covenant? It is the new covenant; the first covenant has been taken away, that the second could be established (Hebrews 10:9).

Verse 26 concludes Paul’s reasoning: “For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all.” Now, both Jews and Gentiles are saved through the same method–the mercy of God, which is Jesus Christ. God is no respecter of persons (Acts 10:34, 35). All are saved in the same way, through belief in the gospel of Christ, both Jew and Gentile.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also believe that because of Adam's sin, he inadvertently gave dominion of the world over to Satan. Jesus destroyed the works of the devil taking the sin inherited from Adam's sin out of what was our "sin" nature (the old man). We are now clean and free from sin as Romans 6:5-7 says, and it is easy to live as Christ did and flee all temptations because we have the mind of Christ 1 Cor. 2:9-16. This clean human nature is why we can now partake of the divine nature of God. 2 Peter 1:2-4
I'm not sure I understand? I personally believe we still, living in our mortal flesh, have within it a Sin Nature. We are weak to sin's compulsions. We regularly display levels of impatience, wants, excessive emotional reactions, etc. But we can mitigate this by the presence of Christ's life within us through our Born Again experience.

Are you saying we have sin excised from our flesh, or are you just saying that we have a pure nature from Christ existing within our sin-infected mortal bodies?

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The kingdom of God is at hand.
Yes, the idea is that since Jesus, the future King, has arrived on earth, his Kingdom is the next big step in history. And its tension consists of placing every person on notice that what they do in their lives will be judged by that King's standards.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The only way we can abide in the Spirit, is through the working of the Holy Spirit in us....”YOU” cannot abide in the Spirit. In your own strength....only the Holy Spirit can keep us abiding in HIM....

It’s called the sanctification process...we are being made into the image of Jesus.

Therefore God gets all the Glory/ Praise....your FLESH just exalts it self...

Let the flesh die so you can live in the Spirit...

Last edited:

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks. Not having followed your particular argument with Mark I can say that as much as I read here I agree with you, and you say it perfectly well. If brother Mark is saying that in his Dispensationalism the Law of Moses is still at work for the Israeli people, I would strongly dispute that.

As you and I both seem to be saying, every temporary fix leading up to Calvary was meant to *lead up to Calvary.* Christ's death for all of mankind included dying for those under the Law, as well, who under the Law could not obtain Eternal Life by that means. Eternal Life comes only by Jesus Christ.

Temporary blessings under the Law were available up until Christ came to cover not just their need for fellowship with God but also their need for covering their sins. And so, going back to the Law is in effect going back to a system that not only is no longer blessed but is also a blockade to receiving Eternal Life.

God will no longer bless a system that in Israel completely failed by the time of Christ's death. It would be an insult to the Cross to return to the very failure under the Law that put Christ there!
Hebrews 6 says this very thing

6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The baptism of Ephesians 4:5 is water baptism because water baptism is for everyone who believes. It is for everyone to obey. It is the baptism that Jesus commanded the disciples to practice. It is the baptism that we may preach and command today. Holy Spirit baptism was limited to a few. It cannot be obeyed. It was not commanded to the disciples, and only Jesus administers it.
If your not baptized by the HS, Your not saved. Plain and simple

No human can baptize you into Christ, his death, or spiritually circumcise you with the baptism of God.

• Love
Reactions: Ritajanice

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

The gospel is a message of grace that is to be received through faith. (Acts 15:7-9; 20:24; 26:18) The gospel is not a set of rituals to perform, a code of laws to be obeyed or a check list of good works (including water baptism) to accomplish as a prerequisite for salvation.

Before his death, Jesus told the twelve that he had to die and that he would rise on the third day. Looking back upon this passage we see this as Jesus speaking of an event that would change everything! However, it is unquestionable that the disciples were ignorant of its meaning at that time.

“Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem...And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again. And they understood none of these things: and this saying was hid from them, neither knew they the things which were spoken. – Luke 18:31-34. hmm... Through progressive revelation, the further content of the gospel that came through a revelation of Jesus Christ to Paul (Galatians 1:11-12) at that same time was still a mystery.

After his crucifixion, instead of anxiously waiting his resurrection, the apostles were still ignorant, disheartened at the death of their redeemer, and did not even at first believe the testimony of his resurrection. (Mark 16:14, Luke 24:19-24) It was not until after his resurrection that Jesus appeared to the apostles and opened their understanding. (Luke 24:44-47)

Through progressive revelation, there is a more distinct element to the content of the gospel which Paul received from Christ and is called "the mystery of the gospel." (see Ephesians 6:19 and compare with Colossians 1:26-27; 4:3) This new revelation is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise. (Ephesians 3:6) Such equality, Jew and Gentile united together in one body was previously unknown. The distinctive message of the church is that Jew and Gentile alike may believe the gospel and be united together into one body. (Ephesians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 12:13)

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Through progressive revelation, there is a more distinct element to the content of the gospel which Paul received from Christ and is called "the mystery of the gospel." (see Ephesians 6:19 and compare with Colossians 1:26-27; 4:3) This new revelation is that the Gentiles are fellow heirs and fellow members of the body, and fellow partakers of the promise. (Ephesians 3:6) Such equality, Jew and Gentile united together in one body was previously unknown. The distinctive message of the church is that Jew and Gentile alike may believe the gospel and be united together into one body. (Ephesians 1:13; 1 Corinthians 12:13)
AMEN!!!!

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We really need to better understand the teaching of not of works because if we do we can see that it more than not is talking about the deeds of the old law and not nothing to do with the new law of Christ.
When it comes to the moral aspect of the law, you cannot dissect good works/works of faith etc.. from the law and teach that we are saved by "these" works (good works/works of faith) but just not "those" works (works of the law). In James 2:15-16, the example of a "work" that James gives is: "If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Depart in peace, be warmed and filled," but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit?"

Now to give a brother or sister these things needed for the body would certainly be a good works/work of faith under the new law of Christ yet to neglect such a brother or sister and not give them the things needed for the body is to break the second great commandment "love your neighbor as yourself" (Matthew 22:39) as found written in the law of Moses. (Leviticus 19:18)

In Matthew 22:37-40, we read: Jesus said to him, 'You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. Now please explain to me which good works could a Christian accomplish which are "completely detached" from these two great commandments which are found in the law of Moses? (Deuteronomy 6:5; Leviticus 19:18) *NOWHERE does the Bible teach we are saved by grace through faith plus works of any kind.

The apostle Paul does not merely limit "works" only to specific works of the law, but includes works in general. In Titus 3:5, we read that it is not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us.. and in 2 Timothy 1:9, we read that God saved us and called us with a holy calling not according to our works..