The Gospel!! What is it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 1:6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.

My question is what is the gospel that they have preached to us?
Who is the we?
Is Peter and Paul preaching the same gospel or different gospels?
Can this gospel be found in the bible?
Book Chapter and verse?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 1:6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel; 7 which is really not another; only there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

10 For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ.

Who is the we?
Book Chapter and verse?

As you know by reading the whole book of Galatians that Paul reminded them that they had begun in the Spirit, and were now wanting to follow the law? And to the Romans Paul said in Romans 1:16-17

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

Acts 1:8
8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

John 3:3 5-6
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The Old Covenant was the ministry of death. The New Covenant is the ministry of the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:6-12

Peter and Paul preached the same gospel to the Galatians because they were both inspired by the same Holy Spirit. We know because Paul got angry with Peter because he left the Gentiles side to stand with visiting Jews.

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Who is the we?
Book Chapter and verse?
Paul was being rhetorical--obviously, he did not think he or his friends were preaching the wrong Gospel. But he was saying that all ministers of the Gospel need to be tested because anybody can corrupt the Gospel if they get off track.

Paul was talking, quite specifically, about returning to the traditions of the Law, which separated Jew and Gentile. And he was pointing out that returning to the Law of Moses contradicts the Gospel of Christ's death, which put all works under the Law to death, as well.

Therefore, the Law of Moses represented a dead covenant, which if returned to will contradict the Gospel of Salvation through Christ alone. If Christ is the only source of atonement, then returning to the Law for redemption is misrepresenting Salvation as available apart from Christ.

The true Gospel is Salvation through Christ alone, quite different than the Law. It means not just that Christ is the exclusive source of Salvation today, but it is the *only* source of *Eternal* Salvation, the Law having been only a temporary fix.

Not only so, but Christ is the source of our new spiritual nature by which we may live in Christ all the time, spiritually, and not by ceremonial or legalistic rule. It is an ongoing relationship between Christians and Christ by which we follow him through the oral word of God to our hearts, impressed upon us by the Spirit.

Presenting Salvation as a matter of legal works is a return to a temporary relationship with God and a temporary salvation, if you will, that falls short of Eternal Salvation. The purpose of the Law was to show men that their own works, apart from Christ, lead to damnation. But Salvation is free if we yield to Christ and to the new nature he wishes to instill within us.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was being rhetorical--obviously, he did not think he or his friends were preaching the wrong Gospel. But he was saying that all ministers of the Gospel need to be tested because anybody can corrupt the Gospel if they get off track.

Paul was talking, quite specifically, about returning to the traditions of the Law, which separated Jew and Gentile. And he was pointing out that returning to the Law of Moses contradicts the Gospel of Christ's death, which put all works under the Law to death, as well.

Therefore, the Law of Moses represented a dead covenant, which if returned to will contradict the Gospel of Salvation through Christ alone. If Christ is the only source of atonement, then returning to the Law for redemption is misrepresenting Salvation as available apart from Christ.

The true Gospel is Salvation through Christ alone, quite different than the Law. It means not just that Christ is the exclusive source of Salvation today, but it is the *only* source of *Eternal* Salvation, the Law having been only a temporary fix.

Not only so, but Christ is the source of our new spiritual nature by which we may live in Christ all the time, spiritually, and not by ceremonial or legalistic rule. It is an ongoing relationship between Christians and Christ by which we follow him through the oral word of God to our hearts, impressed upon us by the Spirit.

Presenting Salvation as a matter of legal works is a return to a temporary relationship with God and a temporary salvation, if you will, that falls short of Eternal Salvation. The purpose of the Law was to show men that their own works, apart from Christ, lead to damnation. But Salvation is free if we yield to Christ and to the new nature he wishes to instill within us.
Hi Randy,
Paul wasn't being rhetorical. The other gospel was Paul's gospel of the Spirit, but the Judaizers added works, circumcision and the Jewish holy days and clean meats to it. So that is why he worded it as he did.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As you know by reading the whole book of Galatians that Paul reminded them that they had begun in the Spirit, and were now wanting to follow the law? And to the Romans Paul said in Romans 1:16-17

16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek. 17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, “The just shall live by faith.”

Acts 1:8
8 But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

John 3:3 5-6
3 Jesus answered and said to him, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”5 Jesus answered, “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Acts 2:38
38 Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The Old Covenant was the ministry of death. The New Covenant is the ministry of the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 3:6-12

Peter and Paul preached the same gospel to the Galatians because they were both inspired by the same Holy Spirit. We know because Paul got angry with Peter because he left the Gentiles side to stand with visiting Jews.
Interesting I might return to this one to discuss a little further with you after I get more answers for a better thought.

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just curious is it recorded in the bible anywhere so I can read it or is it just scattered in bits and pieces and I have to put it together to understand?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Randy,
Paul wasn't being rhetorical. The other gospel was Paul's gospel of the Spirit, but the Judaizers added works, circumcision and the Jewish holy days and clean meats to it. So that is why he worded it as he did.
I think he was. To be rhetorical, as I'm using the term, Paul is being propositional. He is producing a proposition that was not a reality, but only proposed as a possibility. Therefore, the Gospel he had been preaching was not a false Gospel, but only a proposed possibility.

The point is, it is the truth--not reputation of one who may have been proposing the truth, that matters.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

The Gospel!! What is it?​

Well for one, it's Everlasting. I suppose that means it has always been, always is and always will be.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think he was. To be rhetorical, as I'm using the term, Paul is being propositional. He is producing a proposition that was not a reality, but only proposed as a possibility. Therefore, the Gospel he had been preaching was not a false Gospel, but only a proposed possibility.

The point is, it is the truth--not reputation of one who may have been proposing the truth, that matters.
So what are the details of what was being taught?

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A simple question but does not seem to have a simple answer and we wonder why we are so divided.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
9 As we have said before, so I say again now, if any man is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!
1 Corinthians 15:1-8 KJV
1) Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2) By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3) For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4) And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures
:
5) And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6) After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7) After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8) And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

The Gospel we have believed . . . Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and was seen by many. Good news indeed!!

From Peter . . .

1 Peter 1:22-25 KJV
22) Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24) For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25) But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, I agree, Paul was not presenting himself as false, but was making a Very Strong Point that we are not to look to our works - what WE do - to either make us right with God, or to keep us right with God. Any works, of any kind. None have a bearing on our reconciliation to God. Only one work matters, Christ's death on the cross. His obedient work. Not ours.

Much love!

Reactions: mailmandan

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have no idea what your concern is? Differences of opinion do not imply "division." Nor is "division" always bad. Do you have a question yourself?
Amen!!

I have learnt a lot about division and what it means....Praise God for that.

We go through everything for a reason....God showed me my stubborn heart yesterday, with another Brother, @Eternally Grateful ......God soon put me in my place..I let go of myself as in flesh...and listened to what God was saying.

Tune into God and he will certainly tune into us through the Holy Spirit....Praise His Mighty Name....

The more we let go of the flesh...the more power the Holy Spirit has to lead and guide us..

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 15:1-8 KJV
1) Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
2) By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
3) For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
4) And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures
:
5) And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
6) After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
7) After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
8) And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

The Gospel we have believed . . . Jesus died for our sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and was seen by many. Good news indeed!!

From Peter . . .

1 Peter 1:22-25 KJV
22) Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
23) Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
24) For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away:
25) But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

Much love!
4) And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Yes this is the gospel Paul was preaching from the day he met Jesus on the road to Damascus until his death. That I agree with but it is the very same gospel Peter was preaching in Acts 2 from the day of Pentecost until his death. You can see it in Acts 2 and it includes verse 38 and verse 38 means just what is said it is for. Not only does it say it there it verifies itself in other passages to be true to what was said. Romans 6 is a detailed explanation of what it is all about what happens who is doing it and what it accomplishes.

From Acts 2 forward all recorded conversions included the baptism in Christ name that according to John the baptist he was to baptize with and to this day there is no recorded scripture that changes or replaces on nullifies the need for the baptism in Christ name for the recorded reasons. If there is I have not found the scripture that does. I hear many views that try to say otherwise but not the scripture that says it.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what your concern is? Differences of opinion do not imply "division." Nor is "division" always bad. Do you have a question yourself?
From Acts 2 forward all recorded conversions included the baptism in Christ name that according to John the baptist he was to baptize with and to this day there is no recorded scripture that changes or replaces on nullifies the need for the baptism in Christ name for the recorded reasons.
Much love!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I agree, Paul was not presenting himself as false, but was making a Very Strong Point that we are not to look to our works - what WE do - to either make us right with God, or to keep us right with God. Any works, of any kind. None have a bearing on our reconciliation to God. Only one work matters, Christ's death on the cross. His obedient work. Not ours.

Much love!
This is not quite right. Paul was teaching that we are not to go back to the works of the old law if we follow the context. We do not have to do s the Judaizers say and keep parts of the old law for if we go back to part we have to keep the whole and then the grace has no effect for us. That is what Paul is talking about. He does not say we are not to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ he spent a whole chapter in Romans telling you why we did need the baptism in Christ name. Of course if we cannot see that by careful reading we will not be able to make any difference in our thinking.

I was not trying to say that Paul nor Peter was preaching a different gospel but the same and was fishing for what both say the gospel is and as some have answered it is
4) And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

That is what we should be teaching and answer the question what must I do as Peter did in Acts 2:38 as seen all the conversion stories ended the same way in Acts.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not quite right.
Romans 4:2-6 KJV
2) For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
3) For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
4) Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
5) But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6) Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

This chapter contains a lengthy and detailed treatise on the fact that just like circumcision didn't save Abraham, none of our works save us either. It was by believing God that God accounted Abraham righteous, and the same is done for us. Exactly the same, apart from any of our works.

Much love!

Godslittleservant

Aug 28, 2023
Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Here is our problem we take scriptures like in Galatians where Paul is dealing with works of the law(old law) telling them that circumcision and keep parts of the old law is falling from grace and then we take him to mean that no works of any kind is what he means. That is not what he says we still have to believe and Jesus said it was a work we still have to confess and that means we have to work our mouth we still have to repent and that means we have to work our whole body to turn from doing wrong that is stuff WE have to do but according to Romans 6 God is doing the work in the baptism in Christ name he is the one that is remitting the sin and giving the spirit not man we just submit to Gods will so he can do the work.

We really need to better understand the teaching of not of works because if we do we can see that it more than not is talking about the deeds of the old law and not nothing to do with the new law of Christ.