the great Jewish "distress"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I continue to have a huge problem getting Christians to acknowledge the obvious, that in the Olivet Discourse Jesus focused not on the 2nd Coming as much as on the judgment to come against Israel in his own generation, and that Israel would go through a period of "great tribulation" from 70 AD, when the temple would be destroyed, to the end of the age. We call this the "Jewish Diaspora." Very few seem to be willing to acknowledge this, for the simple reason that modern prophetic circles do not favor that interpretation.

Just to answer your questions--not to settle the matters--I suggest my reasoning follows a general sense from Scriptures that we are not to prognosticate too much about the future, particularly when that may be obscuring what God is telling us to do now.

Deut 18. 10 Let no one be found among you who sacrifices their son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, 11 or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead.

Acts 1. 7 He said to them: “It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority."

There is a tendency, sometimes, for people to want prophecy to be all about distant future events, so as to ignore what God is saying today.

Eze 12. 21 The word of the Lord came to me: 22 “Son of man, what is this proverb you have in the land of Israel: ‘The days go by and every vision comes to nothing’? 23 Say to them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am going to put an end to this proverb, and they will no longer quote it in Israel.’ Say to them, ‘The days are near when every vision will be fulfilled. 24 For there will be no more false visions or flattering divinations among the people of Israel. 25 But I the Lord will speak what I will, and it shall be fulfilled without delay. For in your days, you rebellious people, I will fulfill whatever I say, declares the Sovereign Lord .’ ”

And I think this fits well in the context of Jesus' Olivet Discourse in which some may have relegated his warning about the fall of Jerusalem to some distant, future generation, rather than something of immediate consequence, requiring immediate preparation. Jesus' Disciples were looking more to the Messianic coming at the end of the age than to the intervening judgment coming against Jerusalem and Jewish religion. They were looking for Israel's salvation even though Israel was presently ripe for judgment due to their hidden sin.

So I'm not surprised that when Jesus spoke of the fall of the temple that his Disciples immediately looked at a future outcome, as opposed to something more immediate that they had trouble grasping. Jesus clearly said all this would take place, ie the fall of the temple and its preliminary signs, in "this generation." Jesus did not ignore the question about his 2nd Coming, but he seemed to place it in the category of future expectation that provided a larger context, but not an explicit time frame.

Jesus seemed to focus the sense of his coming on a more imminent kind of divine coming in judgment in his own generation, destroying the temple, the city of Jerusalem, and producing an age-long period of judgment for the Jews until the time when Messiah would restore Israel. In the 3 synoptic Gospels, we see the same fall of the temple predicted in "this generation." And all 3 versions produce the exact same order of Jesus' address:

1) The temple will literally be destroyed.
2) Christians will be hated, Israel's religion will "grow cold," ignoring the Gospel testimony, and Jewish believers will have to endure for salvation.
3) The Jewish People will endure great tribulation, an age-long punishment.
4) The Abomination of Desolation, from Dan 9.26-27, or the desolation of the City and the Sanctuary.
5) The Jewish believers will flee to the mountains.
6) The temple will fall in "this generation."

Matt 24. 2 “Do you see all these things?” he asked. “Truly I tell you, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.”
...9 “Then you will be handed over to be persecuted and put to death, and you will be hated by all nations because of me. 10 At that time many will turn away from the faith and will betray and hate each other, 11 and many false prophets will appear and deceive many people. 12 Because of the increase of wickedness, the love of most will grow cold, 13 but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved. 14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.
15 “So when you see standing in the holy place ‘the abomination that causes desolation,’ spoken of through the prophet Daniel—let the reader understand— 16 then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains...
21 For then there will be great distress, unequaled from the beginning of the world until now—and never to be equaled again...
34 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Mark 13. 2 “Do you see all these great buildings?” replied Jesus. “Not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down.” ...
12 “Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. 13 Everyone will hate you because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
14 “When you see ‘the abomination that causes desolation’ standing where it does not belong—let the reader understand—then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.

15 Let no one on the housetop go down or enter the house to take anything out....
18 Pray that this will not take place in winter, 19 because those will be days of distress unequaled from the beginning, when God created the world, until now—and never to be equaled again.
...30 Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

Luke 21. 6 “As for what you see here, the time will come when not one stone will be left on another; every one of them will be thrown down.”
12 “But before all this, they will seize you and persecute you. They will hand you over to synagogues and put you in prison, and you will be brought before kings and governors, and all on account of my name. 13 And so you will bear testimony to me. 14 But make up your mind not to worry beforehand how you will defend yourselves. 15 For I will give you words and wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. 16 You will be betrayed even by parents, brothers and sisters, relatives and friends, and they will put some of you to death. 17 Everyone will hate you because of me. 18 But not a hair of your head will perish. 19 Stand firm, and you will win life.
20 “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near.

21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city.
22 For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. 23 How dreadful it will be in those days for pregnant women and nursing mothers!
There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people. 24 They will fall by the sword and will be taken as prisoners to all the nations. Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled...
32 “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened."

I say all this to make the point that the "abomination of desolation" mentioned in Matt 24 and Mark 13 are sandwiched between #2 and #5, between the condition of Israel and of the Jewish Church and the need for believers to flee to the mountains. And in Luke 21 Luke uses a reference to Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, in place of the "abomination of desolation," again sandwiched between #2 and #5.

This for me positively identifies the AoD with the Roman encirclement of Jerusalem in 66-70 AD. It was after 66 AD that Jewish believers fled to Pella in the mountains. And it was directly before the Romans came to encircle Jerusalem that God found unbelieving Israel to be out of compliance with their covenant with God, their religion growing cold, and their turning to persecute believers in Jesus.

Therefore, this Address is all about a prophetic judgment Jesus was proclaiming against Israel in the same vein that the Prophets before him declared an imminent judgment upon Israel for their sins, when the Babylonians were about to destroy Jerusalem.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to answer your questions--not to settle the matters--I suggest my reasoning follows a general sense from Scriptures that we are not to prognosticate too much about the future, particularly when that may be obscuring what God is telling us to do now.
I don't think knowing prophecy is the same as necromancy or reading tea leaves. Personally I find such knowledge meaningful to my life today.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24:2-13 KJV
2) And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3) And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
4) And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6) And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7) For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
8) All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9) Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
10) And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
11) And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
12) And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

Compare to . . .

Luke 21:6-15 KJV
6) As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
7) And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?
8) And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
9) But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.
10) Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
11) And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
12) But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.
13) And it shall turn to you for a testimony.
14) Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:
15) For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.

Both Matthew and Luke record the birth pangs. Matthew then goes on to detail things which are AFTER the birth pangs, Luke details things BEFORE the birth pangs. What is the significance of this?

Much love!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I continue to have a huge problem getting Christians to acknowledge the obvious, that in the Olivet Discourse Jesus focused not on the 2nd Coming as much as on the judgment to come against Israel in his own generation, and that Israel would go through a period of "great tribulation" from 70 AD, when the temple would be destroyed, to the end of the age. We call this the "Jewish Diaspora." Very few seem to be willing to acknowledge this, for the simple reason that modern prophetic circles do not favor that interpretation.

Hi Randy,
I see these prophecies as a dual prophecy. I Think had the Jews received Jesus as their messiah, 70ad might well have been the end of the age, But because of their unbelief and rejection of Jesus, Many of those prophecies were put off or delayed, Yet some did come to fruition in 70ad. When we put Revelation in the frame of focus, which was given after 70 ad, circa 90 ad these prophecies come into clearer focus.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24:2-13 KJV
9) Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.

Compare to . . .

Luke 21:6-15 KJV

10) Then said he unto them, Nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom:
11) And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heaven.
12) But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.

Both Matthew and Luke record the birth pangs. Matthew then goes on to detail things which are AFTER the birth pangs, Luke details things BEFORE the birth pangs. What is the significance of this?
Much love!

No significance at all. "Then" means *at that time. "Before these things" indicate that the things will not happen unless these other things precede them and thus accompany them.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Randy,
I see these prophecies as a dual prophecy. I Think had the Jews received Jesus as their messiah, 70ad might well have been the end of the age, But because of their unbelief and rejection of Jesus, Many of those prophecies were put off or delayed, Yet some did come to fruition in 70ad. When we put Revelation in the frame of focus, which was given after 70 ad, circa 90 ad these prophecies come into clearer focus.

Yea, that's what I get most often. And "dual prophecies" I find to be confusing. It's like trying to have your cake and eat it too. We don't talk out of both sides of our mouth unless we're trying to deliberately confuse. The Scriptures aren't like that. They say what they mean. They don't say two things at once and express it like they're only saying one thing.

The Olivet Discourse is only saying one thing. It is not speaking about both the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD and the Return of Christ *at the same time! No, if anything, these 2 events are being compared as forms of judgment--one already happening, and the other being the judgment of all judgments.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't think knowing prophecy is the same as necromancy or reading tea leaves. Personally I find such knowledge meaningful to my life today.
Much love!

You don't think trying to claim so and so is the Antichrist, and such and such a technology is 666 is trying to predict the future? It sure is. It's the very thing we're warned about. God controls the "times and the season." We need to be busy about doing the Father's will, and not trying to confuse people about whether taking a vaccination is taking the mark of the beast! ;)

I would go farther and suggest that puffing up contemporary events as the "beginning of the end" is a foolish kind of excitement Christians try to gin up for whatever reason. And Paul seemed to discourage that:

2 Thes 2.1Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No significance at all. "Then" means *at that time. "Before these things" indicate that the things will not happen unless these other things precede them and thus accompany them.
OK, that makes sense! I mean, that you would not see significance.

I see one account describing events that occur before, and the other events that occur after these birth pangs. So when the descriptions of what happens are diffenent, this is because they are describing what are actually different events, separated in time.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's interesting to me is that you would make "at that time" and "before that time" to mean the same thing. Myself, I prefer to let each retain it's own meaning. You've blended them into one. And in so doing, taken two disparate descriptions and blended them into one.

What if they are actually different, as these words indicate?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would go farther and suggest that puffing up contemporary events as the "beginning of the end" is a foolish kind of excitement Christians try to gin up for whatever reason.
Ginning up anything sounds like a poor plan to me.

But why so down on knowing the prophecies? I think we should know what they say, just like the rest of the Bible. And when we know them, we will know if they are being fulfilled. Hopefully!!

Much love!

Reactions: teamventure

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would go farther and suggest that puffing up contemporary events as the "beginning of the end" is a foolish kind of excitement Christians try to gin up for whatever reason. And Paul seemed to discourage that:

2 Thes 2.1Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, 2 not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come.
Paul is encouraging his readers to not get disturbed by those telling them falsehoods. To stick with Apostolic teaching.

This isn't an admonition to knowing prophecy, or even discussing it. In fact, he launches into a discussion of prophecy right then and there.

Much love!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK, that makes sense! I mean, that you would not see significance.

I see one account describing events that occur before, and the other events that occur after these birth pangs. So when the descriptions of what happens are diffenent, this is because they are describing what are actually different events, separated in time.

Much love!

I don't see significance in synonyms, even if they have slightly different indicators. The Bible is full of synonyms, given in parallel, with each word having its own slight variation. It is not relevant so much as a differentiation than an effort to clarify with extra detail.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Olivet Discourse is only saying one thing. It is not speaking about both the fall of Jerusalem in 70 AD and the Return of Christ *at the same time!
In fact Jesus prophesied both, and plainly.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't see significance in synonyms, even if they have slightly different indicators. The Bible is full of synonyms, given in parallel, with each word having its own slight variation. It is not relevant so much as a differentiation than an effort to clarify with extra detail.
Those are not synonyms. I suggest we take them for what the words mean, and let it speak for itself.

Much love!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In fact Jesus prophesied both, and plainly.

Much love!

I'm not ignoring the fact that both subjects were being discussed. I'm refuting the idea that both subjects were being expressed *at the same time.* For example, I say a train is coming and a plane is coming. So if I then say a train is coming, I'm not saying that a plane is coming! ;)

Jesus said both that the temple would fall in his own generation and that he would return after a long Jewish exile. In saying the temple would fall in his own generation he was *not* saying at the same time that he would return after a long Jewish exile. This is a refutation of "dualistic prophecy" in this particular application.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not ignoring the fact that both subjects were being discussed. I'm refuting the idea that both subjects were being expressed *at the same time.* For example, I say a train is coming and a plane is coming. So if I then say a train is coming, I'm not saying that a plane is coming! ;)

Jesus said both that the temple would fall in his own generation and that he would return after a long Jewish exile. In saying the temple would fall in his own generation he was *not* saying at the same time that he would return after a long Jewish exile. This is a refutation of "dualistic prophecy" in this particular application.
I'm saying both the destruction of Jerusalem, and the abomination of desolation were prophesied by Jesus, one to occur after, and one before the prophesied birth pangs. Two different events, two different times, all plainly stated.

Much love!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying both the destruction of Jerusalem, and the abomination of desolation were prophesied by Jesus, one to occur after, and one before the prophesied birth pangs. Two different events, two different times, all plainly stated.

Much love!

Trouble is, it doesn't say that. Where specifically is the *destruction of Jerusalem* preceding the "birth pangs?" It doesn't happen. The "birth pangs" precede the *destruction of Jerusalem.*

Reactions: Zao is life

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trouble is, it doesn't say that. Where specifically is the *destruction of Jerusalem* preceding the "birth pangs?" It doesn't happen. The "birth pangs" precede the *destruction of Jerusalem.*
But it does. For one thing, you need to not make different wording to be equal. Then, or, at that time, is not the same as before these.

Luke 21:5-28 KJV
5) And as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,
6) As for these things which ye behold, the days will come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
7) And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?
8) And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.
9) But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.

13) And it shall turn to you for a testimony.
14) Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer:
15) For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist.
16) And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put to death.
17) And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake.
18) But there shall not an hair of your head perish.
19) In your patience possess ye your souls.
20) And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
21) Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.
22) For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.
23) But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people.
24) And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.

25) And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
26) Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
27) And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.
28) And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Compare to . . .

Matthew 24:2-30 KJV
2) And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
3) And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
4) And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.
5) For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.
6) And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet.
7) For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.

10) And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
11) And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
12) And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
14) And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
15) When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand)
16) Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:
17) Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house:
18) Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes.
19) And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days!
20) But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day:
21) For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
22) And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
23) Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
24) For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
25) Behold, I have told you before.
26) Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.
27) For as the lightning cometh out of the east, and shineth even unto the west; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
28) For wheresoever the carcase is, there will the eagles be gathered together.

29) Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30) And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Matthew recorded certain parts of Jesus' discourse while Luke contains other parts. They record different prophecies which while there is overlap, there are differences. Matthew spends more time centered on the end of the age, and rescuing/regathering Israel.

Luke spends more time on the destruction of Jerusalem and the scattering of the Jews.

Much love!

Last edited: