The Holy Face of Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
800px-shroud_of_turin_001.jpg

St. Theres's Prayer to the Holy face

O Jesus, Who in Thy bitter Passion didst become "the most abject of men, a man of sorrows," I venerate Thy Sacred Face whereon there once did shine the beauty and sweetness of the Godhead ... but now it has become for me as if it were the Face of a leper! Nevertheless, under those disfigured features, I recognize Thy Infinite Love and I am consumed with the desire to love Thee and make Thee loved by all men.

The tears which well up abundantly in Thy Sacred Eyes appear to me as so many precious pearls that I love to gather up, in order to purchase the souls of poor sinners by means of their infinite value. O Jesus, Whose adorable Face ravished my heart, I implore Thee to fix deep within me Thy Divine Image and to set me on fire with Thy Love, that I may be found worthy to come to the contemplation of Thy glorious Face in Heaven. Amen.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's how I would have imagined it!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
I have no issue whether it is the face of Jesus or just a replica

But the other day we were talking about not having graven images of anything in heaven

personally I would not "pray to the image"

That would go for images of Mary as well

But that is just me. I love the Catholics but I would be a poor one.

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
Catholics never prayed to images. We do keep images of the Blessed Mother, of Jesus Christ and the Saints and Angels. It's a wholesome thing to keep these in our homes and to carry them with us because seeing them excites our devotion and enkindles in us pious affections. It is true that while our eyes look upon them our hearts are lifted up to Heaven.

Saint John of Damascus:
Apologia Against Those Who Decry Holy Images

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/johndamascus-images.asp

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
nothing is wrong with having a crucifix or pictures of what Jesus might look like .. to remind one of what Jesus has done for them .

The commandment say thou shat not have any Gods before me.. now if some one was worshiping these things OR PLACING A HIGHER VALUE ON THEM THAN THEY HAD FOR God, that would be wrong.

I would also like to point out graven images are in every ones houses from tvs showing religious movies or just the news or what ever.. to pictures of friends and loved ones to statues and figurines.. if your worried about breaking the commandment don't worship those things ..or value them above God

You can have things to remind you of the promises of God .. God had Moses make a large snake and lift it up so the people could see it.. he instructed the people who were bitten to look at it and they would live because God said so..

The people made them selves a golden calf they worshiped it as THEIR God and that is whats forbidden...

When ever we sin we break the first commandment .. any sin is a rejecting of God being Lord over US..

and we sin daily n thought word or deed

I THINK WE HAVE ENOUGH REAL SINS TO feel sorry about instead of inventing for our selves more.

Elizabeth

Dec 14, 2013
... if your worried about breaking the commandment don't worship those things ..or value them above God
It really is as simple as that.

For those who may be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BxmbIGQBX4

horsecamp

Feb 1, 2008
very interesting video its around 51 min long ..it even tells the blood type lifted off of the cloth.
Many more interesting things are told about the blood soaked cloth .

Thanks Elizabeth for posting it..