The Holy Gospel about usury:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth_Teller

May 9, 2008
Peace be upon you all,

First of all I may clarify that am not a Christian and thus may not hold as deep knowledge of its holy scriptures as Christians do. I therefore must also clarify that the question I am going to ask does not have any ulterior motives behind it as it is an innocent one; I say this with faith in God.

The Old Testament of the Holy Bible clearly forbid and discourage usury, but what do the Gospels say about this? Someone gave me a few references to the Gospel which are Matthew 25:26-27, Matthew 21:12, Luke 19:22-23, Luke 6:34-35 and Mark 11:15. I must say despite reading those verses, I utterly failed to understand much because some are parables and others are not but the standard of language used in it made it difficult for me to understand much.

Do those speak about usury or condemn it? I will appreciate if someone can at least explain me those verses one by one.

I hope someone will take the time to answer my question......

With regards,
God be Your Protector..

Jul 6, 2011
Hi Truth_Teller
Thanks for the question. The answer is not easy.
The passages you cited are somewhat mixed as to whether they give implied approval or diapproval to lending. But the message behind them is that God gives us gifts which we should use to fulfill our potentials as humans, for His glory according to His purposes.
As to the lending of money for interest, usary is best defined as excessive interest rate.
The Christian would normally give rather than lend, but a Christian business might lend at current rates which Christians may disagree on.
There are disputable matters.

Truth_Teller

May 9, 2008
Hi Truth_Teller
Thanks for the question. The answer is not easy.
The passages you cited are somewhat mixed as to whether they give implied approval or disapproval to lending. But the message behind them is that God gives us gifts which we should use to fulfill our potentials as humans, for His glory according to His purposes.
As to the lending of money for interest, usary is best defined as excessive interest rate.
The Christian would normally give rather than lend, but a Christian business might lend at current rates which Christians may disagree on.
There are disputable matters.

Thanks for your answer. I deeply appreciate this.

Having concentrated on Matthew 25:26-27 a little more, is Jesus Christ not talking negatively about the Master in his parable?

As for it giving a mixed message, since the Old Testament clearly forbids usury, should one not rather put those passages in the disapproval category?

Are there any other verses from the Gospel which deal with the issue of usury?

I will appreciate your further answers.

Jul 6, 2011
Hi,
No I dont think Jesus is talking negatively about the master in the parable.

20 "To a foreigner you may charge interest, but to your brother you shall not charge interest, that the LORD your God may bless you in all to which you set your hand in the land which you are entering to possess. (Deuteronomy 23:19,20)

But that believers love each other and share their possessions as in Acts 4-6 I should say mirrors Deut 23.

I think the scriptures also address usary as excessive interest and exploitation of the poor